SNAIL Holiday Event Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
"remember the intent is to have an annual endurance race. There are other vacation breaks to discuss other formats of racing"

I'm sorry but just like that you're declaring Labor Day is your day to set up events each year? What if others come with ideas around this time and want to set something up? It should be first come first serve. There are four of these weekends a year. Just start planning for the next one, don't make it a monopoly on one single day. That's just weird.

"remember the intent is to have an annual endurance race. There are other vacation breaks to discuss other formats of racing"

I'm sorry but just like that you're declaring Labor Day is your day to set up events each year? What if others come with ideas around this time and want to set something up? It should be first come first serve. There are four of these weekends a year. Just start planning for the next one, don't make it a monopoly on one single day. That's just weird.
Penguin... Shut up.

dude - just leave your comments in the survey he provided... no need to be rude and call out a guy that's gone way above and beyond to organize , remind and include everyone in these events.

:tdown:BOOOOOOO!👎

It didn't relate to the race itself just holiday discussion to I felt it belonged in the general thread here. I have since sent him a PM and we're all happy and dandy. Don't get your panties in a bunch because once again, I had an opinion.

Have a great day! :)

Can I do survey since I've raced other special events in the past but not this one, also thx for putting these events on, much appreciated

It didn't relate to the race itself just holiday discussion to I felt it belonged in the general thread here. I have since sent him a PM and we're all happy and dandy. Don't get your panties in a bunch because once again, I had an opinion.

Have a great day! :)

It's that your opinion is usually unsolicited in this forum, therefore meddling and abusive.

You missed the part where I said to have a great day. :( I guess you're still not having a good day. Cheer up man, it's not so bad. Lesson learned. This wouldn't have been an issue if I used a PM instead. That's my bad.

First off, Thanks to @Rednose58 for setting this up.

I really enjoyed the race even though I had NO idea what kind if pit strategy would be needed (should have practiced, ha). Endurance events are ALWAYS my favorite. I completely squandered my second stint on SS tires trying to lift and coast to save fuel because of a silly miscalculation (was trying to squeeze out an extra lap, it didn't work).

I was surprised that after 10 mins of quali and 90 mins of racing I didn't put down a single lap I felt really good about, (thanks to my aforementioned mis-use of the fast tire) but I enjoyed the battles I had with @Xradkins and the tension of being chased down by @MikeGrove who was only 3 sec behind after 90 mins - I REALLY thought I was done for!

BTW.. did a 9:37 in the lobby after everyone but Mike left. Although that lap had a good few mistakes, I don't think I personally could shave more than 5 more seconds no matter how much hair I pulled out trying.

Thanks for everyone that responded to the survey. The results are here (let me know if it doesn't open). This will definitely help anyone who wants to organize an endurance event in future.

Looks like we had 17 responses.

• Average satisfaction was 4/5
  • 14 are in favor of 90 min duration. 2 say it's too long. 2 say it's too short. So, looks like 90 minutes is good for a future endurance event.
  • 11 votes for tire/fuel setting to be normal. 6 votes for it to be fast. Looks like the setting should be to have 2 pit stops at least. More powerful cars will wear faster, so a normal setting will be good. Slower cars will have better fuel consumption and tire wear, so Fast setting may be appropriate
  • 13 votes for two tire compounds. 4 votes for single tire compound. So, two tire compounds for future should be used. The organizer can decide what it will be.(Based on PP, race tires for race cars...,) Suggest not to mix race tires and sports tires, or comfort tires with sports tires)
  • 11 votes for dawn to dusk setting, 5 votes for 24-hour simulation and 1 vote for default setting. So, there is an appetite for the 24-hr setting, but if that is considered I suggest it should be on a well lit track like Apricot hill or High Speed ring, etc.)
  • 13 votes for fixed and dry weather, 1 vote for variable and 1 vote for full meal deal. So, looks like fixed and dry is the way to go
  • 5 votes for PP reduction and 12 votes for multi class to separate divisions. So, definitely we need to look at multi class. Suggest another survey / voting process to be followed to determine the cars for the next event. Many GT classes or if it street cars, then use multiple cars within the classes - or whatever....
Comments received:

The only thing about the race was being left behind because there were way more Division 1 & 2 drivers. I couldn't keep up with them and raced a lot on my own with no one around until Tom decided to wait for me, he and I raced with each other. There were barely any Division 3 and 4 drivers in the room. I would prefer the race to be more competitive with the drives I'm around. In my opinion the race would be more exciting that way.

Some BoP testing could be done across divisions to determine good PP settings to separate performance instead of using different cars/classes which may have differences which are hard to balance for.

Weather: Option 4 - Make weather variable and ensure dry racing, may or may not rain. (no night racing).

Force damage and penalties

GT300 Vs GT500 is my idea for multi class, I'm sure something could be done with Touring Cars as well.

Great race, and I had a lot of fun. Thank you for organizing/hosting the event. It took almost 3 years for an event to pop up worth coming out of retirement for the evening! To clarify some of my above responses, I'm going to send you a pm on GTP. Thank you again for the great time!

I appreciate you setting up these holiday events i know you put a lot of work into making sure they go off without a hitch, and you include everybody...

Not a whole lot to say, it was a lot of fun and learned a ton! Guess as of track selection, maybe put a vote for it in advance then lets say you start with top 6, then after a period of time, take next top 2 and whatever has most votes is where we are racing then. I don't have much for suggestions. I just enjoy racing with you guys! Thanks again!

Like in real racing a more comprehensive explanation of what to expect from the start to the finish. Perhaps maybe a few nights before race day a full run through of the event for all interested. Running out of gas and not being able to pit, Not realizing how the last lap protocol executes, what to expect when you have to run a lap with 5 or less wear on tires. These all really suck without prior knowledge. And could have been avoided. Basically just more info and FYI before race day would be great!

Leave weather off we tested it in GT1 and it was a horrible failure. There is no way to control how when or where the rain will come if it comes at all. and then when it does you can't control how much comes and once to get to 90% it's undriveable

Thanks to all

I'm gonna get something in the works for the next one and I'll PM you @Rednose58 when I get some ideas. No matter what I want to use Ascari at some point in the near future.

Why? The biggest complaint is with IRs for cutting the chicane. With a holiday race the rules can be different. We can be more lenient with those. The rest of the track is great. And it has time change.

Why? The biggest complaint is with IRs for cutting the chicane. With a holiday race the rules can be different. We can be more lenient with those. The rest of the track is great. And it has time change.
If anybody watched the COTA endurance race earlier today, They went over track limits constantly every lap as a group.

No need for action apparently

I'm watching the WEC race now and they mentioned that the sausage curbs were added to some corner exits to help eliminate that. It hasn't looked nearly as bad as I've seen before where they're basically making they're own line on the run-off.

Riddle post?

& In that case what's ascari?

That's what you've got to figure out.

6a0120a85dcdae970b0128776ffd8b970c-pi.jpg

Why would anyone want to change a rule to allow short cutting? :banghead:

I'm curious what your "rule" would be regarding the chicanes at ascari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back