SNAIL Holiday Event Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this will get some justified flack but it's worth trying the honor system. Take it like normal. But if you mess up and catch a little grass, don't worry about it. A lot of us drive in bumper cam and sometimes it's hard to judge exactly where the width of your car is. Of course don't wildly cut through. If you want to be a stickler save you replays and watch people to see what they do. If when driving and you see the driver ahead slightly mess up then so what? They won't gain time because those tires are now dirty for the next turn. And of course if you have an issue and properly go off track, do the usual "let off the gas for a full second" thing.

It's not fool proof but for a holiday event where it's slightly less serious in nature, I don't see why we can't give it a try.

I'm not talking about habits. Drive it like you would on Sunday. If you have a mistake, you won't get an IR. This is not grounds for wildly cutting. Anything else I can help explain? I think it might work. We have a friendly group here.

I'm not talking about habits. Drive it like you would on Sunday. If you have a mistake, you won't get an IR. This is not grounds for wildly cutting. Anything else I can help explain? I think it might work. We have a friendly group here.

I would drive it like I do any Sunday but I would lose to all the ones straight lining those chicanes. I like the track but after seeing how a lot of drivers race those chicanes I would never want to run a competitive race there.

I know this will get some justified flack but it's worth trying the honor system. Take it like normal. But if you mess up and catch a little grass, don't worry about it. A lot of us drive in bumper cam and sometimes it's hard to judge exactly where the width of your car is. Of course don't wildly cut through. If you want to be a stickler save you replays and watch people to see what they do. If when driving and you see the driver ahead slightly mess up then so what? They won't gain time because those tires are now dirty for the next turn. And of course if you have an issue and properly go off track, do the usual "let off the gas for a full second" thing.

It's not fool proof but for a holiday event where it's slightly less serious in nature, I don't see why we can't give it a try.
I get what you are trying to say but what would you determine as inbounds and out of bounds. Quarter of a tire in the grass , half a tire in the grass , two full tires in the grass ?

Two tires, just imagine the rumble strips extend out a little further. And I honestly think most people would drive it normally as well. Don't be so pessimistic :)

Two tires, just imagine the rumble strips extend out a little further. And I honestly think most people would drive it normally as well. Don't be so pessimistic :)
Two tires in the grass means most cars can get through without even lifting. That's not even racing the track the way it's designed to be raced anymore:crazy:

I'm not saying that's the new track boundary. Like I said, treat it like Sunday. If you mess up and you know it's just a little bit then don't lift, but that's not a license to say "I messed up" every lap. If you mess up and you know it's a full off, then do the right thing and lift.

I'm not saying that's the new track boundary. Like I said, treat it like Sunday. If you mess up and you know it's just a little bit then don't lift, but that's not a license to say "I messed up" every lap. If you mess up and you know it's a full off, then do the right thing and lift.
Well it sort of is a new boundary if you now allow two tires in the grass as you've suggested. Two in the grass means outside tires only on the "rumble" , which puts a majority of the car in the grass in extreme cases(yet still in bounds by your suggestion). Chicanes I would think are designed to slow cars down. Without strict rules in place in those turns there will always be some that take a huge advantage there as we all saw the last time we raced there.

Fine. Treat the track like Sunday in all respects. Just no IRs like Birdy said. Again, honor system is involved but the track is still the track.

Oh, now who's the one being only negative and crapping on the parade? Have a good night, good luck in your division.

There is a reason ascari isn't used... It sucks for racing. The run off visually look like road so people use it. You have seen all of the IR's from the last time we used it and that was full sunday rules imagine it on an "honour system" people see it as legal.

I remember enjoying it when we used it in Pack Racing but okay, everyone else seems to think it's awful so we won't use it.

I remember enjoying it when we used it in Pack Racing but okay, everyone else seems to think it's awful so we won't use it.
Pack racing is a different animal altogether, no one cares about winning in pack it's about having fun! You make it a competitive race it will immediately become monkey see, monkey do. A prime example is GT1 when we used Silverstone international circuit. 1 person started going outside on the exit of Becketts then everyone started going out of bounds.

Pack racing is a different animal altogether, no one cares about winning in pack it's about having fun! You make it a competitive race...
That's exactly what I'm trying to say about Holiday Events in general. They are NOT competitive. They are for having fun and no one should care what position they come in.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say about Holiday Events in general. They are NOT competitive. They are for having fun and no one should care what position they come in.
Actually... Holiday events should be highly competitive, the only difference between a regular sunday and a holiday event should be what is used during the event, or how it is used Ex: time shift, tire wear, tire compounds amount of laps/using the endurance settings. The rules are equally important.

I'm definitely interested if we get something going that weekend. If we were to do it, does it have to be run on Sunday? The superbowl starts at 3:30PM PST, which would end right around the time we would normally start on Sunday nights. But if people are out watching it somewhere they may not make it back home in time (myself included)

Would Saturday be an option? @Rednose58 @DesertPenguin09 @Die_Birdy_Die any desire to run anything?

I have an idea for a series and we should do a test run of that to see if it runs smoothly. I don't really care about football so I can make something happen.

I posted this in a private conversation with some people that seemed interested in building a series. Just ignore the stuff dealing with voting, cars, and track. For the sake of a "Holiday Night", I will already have the cars and tracks picked out, we will simply follow the racing format.

I'd like to do something of a cross between Sunday night and Monday Night Pack Racing. We will have a small roster of cars to choose from (like Pack Racing) and each week we select two to race. At the end of the night one is voted off while the other stays.

-Two 20 minute races for each car
-First race is slowest first (room will be open at least 30 minutes before green flag. You are encouraged to "qualify" and get at least one decent lap in. Don't sandbag to start up front. The idea is to make Race 1 a reverse grid race. The track will be chosen by whoever won the week before. Traditional SNAIL points system. One rule: prize winner is not allowed to announce their choice until the day of racing. Like Pack Racing, you are not to overly practice the combos. This is just for fun and you never know what's gonna happen next.
-Race 2 will be Reverse Grid. Nothing special, just race 2

-Combo 2 Track will be voted on by the entire field. I won't use the in-game system because it doesn't allow a lot of time. Instead there will be a 10 minute break between combos and in that time you can type out your track vote. I will tally them up manually.
-Combo 2 Race 1 will continue with Reverse Grid of Combo 1 Race 2.
-Race 2 is Reverse Grid again.
-------------------------------
That's it. The format is there, we just need to pick some cars. The Miata Roadster TC will be brought back, and I'm thinking the "86 Racing", not the race car version.

So that's what I had it mind. For cars I'm thinking GT300 and/or GT500, both are fun and haven't been used in awhile. For tracks I already have a good idea of what I want to use. So in total there will be two cars, four tracks, four races. Each race being roughly 20 minutes (endurance timer so 20 plus remaining lap) will make the night last 1.5 hours. If you want it to last longer lemme know and if you have any ideas for how please suggest them.

:scared:
I'm definitely interested if we get something going that weekend. If we were to do it, does it have to be run on Sunday? The superbowl starts at 3:30PM PST, which would end right around the time we would normally start on Sunday nights. But if people are out watching it somewhere they may not make it back home in time (myself included)

Would Saturday be an option? @Rednose58 @DesertPenguin09 @Die_Birdy_Die any desire to run anything?

I have an idea for a series and we should do a test run of that to see if it runs smoothly. I don't really care about football so I can make something happen.

The ROC is on Friday night.

I don't mind if we want to organize a special event on Saturday evening (February 4 at 9:00 PM Eastern Time ?).

Late Sunday might be a problem. Don't want to be in the same room with a Patriot supporter after being trashed by the Falcons.... :crazy: (No, I'm not a big NFL fan, but I can enjoy a good game - like Dallas and Green Bay a coupla weeks ago)

I have a "relay race" proposal that is different and could be a relaxing experience from "normal racing"

It involves two or more teams with two or more drivers each running a relay race where each driver run one lap without crossing the line, except the last driver in the team. You can run many races on a night, people can come and go. If there is an odd number of drivers then one can sit out and have a smoke or do stewarding for the race etc.

DP's proposal above is good too and will work well.

Is there a way to BoP the GT300 and GT500 cars? I know the weights and powers are different but if set the room settings to a higher weight and a lower power that all can reach, they can adjust in settings and be the same right? Tuning would have to be allowed on for ballast adjustment but as a holiday fun race I think we can have an agreement to not tune anything else right?

The most any of them weighs is the Autobacs Garaiya at 1175 so we force that weight and all others lower must add ballast to even out. The lowest HP of them is 333. Should we ban the 4WD Impreza? That would leave two FR and two MR cars. Should be fun.

Last edited:
The idea of actually being penalized for doing well in the qualifier seems a little off to me. I take it your logic is it makes the fastest guys have to work through the field both races. Start in back, and then have to work their way through the field. And then if they succeed in that, they start in back again for the next race? But I dont think the question is if, its when.

You dont think theyll be able to blow by the slower guys up front after a few laps? I mean do you really have that much of an advantage starting on pole as a guy who runs the same car and tires as a faster guy who is running laps 2 seconds quicker behind you?

I wasnt able to do the Skyline Nurburgring enduro race, but I was able to run some laps in the practice lobbies. I thought the idea of having D3/4 using a better tire compound than D1/2 made sense. It handicaps the faster guys for the entire race, rather than just the beginning where they have to start in back.

Rednose's relay race seems interesting. We should at least give both a try one night and see whats more "fun", however you may define it.

Good idea. Normal SNAIL rules has the GT300 cars on SS tires. Maybe we leave that as is and the upper divisions use SM? Or give the lower divisions an upgrade to RH? I think lower divisions should stay on SS since we're used to it and upper divisions have to adapt to something new.

The idea for first race reverse grid goes along with my series idea which included boost like Pack Racing. It would be like a mix of Sunday voting and Pack Racing boost fun. Since we're not doing that let's scrap the reverse grid idea. Maybe just a normal qualifying or open the room for practice and count that as qualifying?

Heres my idea I just happened to think of. I don't really have a preference for how long each race lasts, enduro or not I'm game for either.

As far as which cars we use this is my idea: Hybrid Shuffle. Since shuffle lobbies are no more in GT6 we'd have to improvise and come up with our own shuffle system.

Just as an example, we come up with a shuffle pool of 10 different cars but for the most part all equally matched. We assign each car a number, numbers 0-9. Now comes the shuffle part. We need a way to randomize the cars and find which car each driver uses come Holiday Event night. Something SNAIL related to decide it. Looking at data from last weeks results, lets say your car is decided upon by your total time in R1C1 to the thousandth. So if your total time was 10:34.218, you would use car #8 out of the shuffle pool. Thats just an example, we could do anything to decide which car everyone drives. And we dont necessarily need 10 cars. I just really miss the shuffle races, its pretty much what we do every Sunday night, except theres different cars on track that are all evenly matched. No tuning. Just raw skill.

D3/4 use a better tire compound than D1/D2. Or, for example, have D1/D2 SH, D3 SM, and D4 SS.

We could also have 2 separate shuffle pools, and eliminate the need for different tire compounds. Have D1/D2 drivers use a pool of cars in lets say the 400pp range. And D3/D4 use a pool of cars in the 440pp range.

Thats my idea atleast, take it for what its worth.

Sounds like a good idea but there might not be enough time to properly find many cars that are evenly matched, by power/weight or PP. I say get started, refine it and hopefully you get it sorted by next Sunday but if not you have a lot of time until the next holiday event to pick even more cars and do even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back