SNAIL Holiday Event Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea no. Gotta be something familiar and easy so the most amount of people can enjoy it

How about a change, have multi cars close to speed, like Rx8, s2000, 300zx, one of the older subies and evo's, just an example, I know attn got better with snail enduro series using slower production cars, also would take more work but if we had full rm could run two classes, exsample rx8 st class, then gt300 class, this way no need to hav to do bop,

How about a change, have multi cars close to speed, like Rx8, s2000, 300zx, one of the older subies and evo's, just an example, I know attn got better with snail enduro series using slower production cars, also would take more work but if we had full rm could run two classes, exsample rx8 st class, then gt300 class, this way no need to hav to do bop,

100% agree.

If you want close racing from a group of "hobbyists", slow 'em down. The gap is always minimized when the cars are slower and/or the tracks are simpler.

"keep it simple stupid."

If we do two classes that are both low powered, one should be a super-light class, with the Caterham, X-Bow, Elise, and MX-5 Miata. Then the other class should be at least 1,100kg for good measure. At least 200kg between the two classes would make for a good difference in braking points, acceleration, and mid-corner speed.

If we do two classes that are both low powered, one should be a super-light class, with the Caterham, X-Bow, Elise, and MX-5 Miata. Then the other class should be at least 1,100kg for good measure. At least 200kg between the two classes would make for a good difference in braking points, acceleration, and mid-corner speed.

Why do you keep coming back to multi class racing when there are only 16 spots on the grid? Two races at once isn't that good with only 8 cars in each race. Do you know why multi class racing in done in real life? It's because nobody would show up to watch 8 LMP cars run around a track. They throw the other classes out there with them to save money and make for an entertaining show.

If you want to create a good race, pick a track. The less technical the better. Start testing cars to get to where you want the balance and how you want it balanced. If you want drivers of different skill levels to run together then you need to handicap the car somehow. Either by using different cars or by detuning. That takes a lot of work to get it right and there is more of a chance of missing it than hitting the mark. The faster guys are going to figure out how to be fast with less power.

My suggestion would be to go to something like drag racing uses in their index system. I have seen series run like this before. I never ran one but the idea seemed solid. It requires some work after the race though. Basically, you pick a track, pick some tires, and pick a lap time. Drivers are allowed to run whatever car they want but they are not allowed to run a lap faster than the index lap time.

Example: You set the lap time at 1:32.000. Drivers are not allowed to run "X" number of laps in the race faster than 1:32.000. If they do, you can either give out time penalties at the race finish or DQ the driver. If you're running 30 laps, you could say that no more than 3 laps could be faster than the index time. Any laps over 3 that are faster than the index time would result in a :10 second addition to your race time. If you ran under the index time for 10 laps then you would be DQ'd.

Those are examples only and can be changed or completely ignored. I just think, and I don't think I'm alone here, that multi class racing is a waste of time with so few grid spots.

Gotcha.

What do people like more? Race cars or production road cars? I like race cars for the general ease of handling. It's easier to tell it what them what to do.

In GT6 I've always been more fond of street cars, I'm also the guy that thoroughly enjoyed the Mini Marcos, Lotus Élan and Suzuki Cap.

Grand Valley East / Reverse is great with low powered cars. I was having fun before with the BRZ GT300 and it's almost entirely flat out, but the sections that aren't are really technical and fun. And even when you're flat out you have to turn and go over elevation changes so in a group in may be really cool.

Just had a thought. What if we take the Monday Pack Racing format but extend it out to an endurance race. Keep the cars or add more low PP cars, weak boost on and tires stay the same, but make tire wear fast or very fast so we have to pit stop once or twice. The pitting won't spread everyone out for too long because boost. Good idea?

Go buy these three cars.. (I'm not 100% sure of the correct names but you'll find them)

All three are '88 or '89. A Nissan, Honda and Toyota. All are FF. All are around 339/340pp before oil change. I ran 8-9 laps each at Silverstone International offline on CM

Personal Bests:
Nissan 129.3
Honda 129.9
Toyota 132.6

Consider putting D1-2 in the Toyota, D3-4 in the Honda and D5+ in the Nissan. Something like that. Possibly a HP adjustment as needed. Just a thought.

I'd like to stay RWD but I like what you're getting at

I'm a traditionalist myself, but sometimes the ideals can be overrated. Those cars just fit the theme of Chumpcar. They're old, cheap and pretty ugly. Silverstone National is an ideal track because of it's size and layout. It's plenty wide to go side by side almost everywhere in these cars, offers multiple passing opportunities for a slow car on hard tires, has virtually no barriers to hit and no sand traps to eat those who may make an error.

...and I'd bet if you didn't know they were FF, the only one you'd suspect by driving would be the Toyota.

This Sunday is our next opportunity for some special racing. Here are the most popular cars and/or combos of 2015:

-High End Performance G37 (Monza x3, Brands Hatch GP x2, Circuito di Roma x1)
-Caterham Seven Fireblade (Brands Hatch GP x1, Tokyo R246 x2, Red Bull Ring Short Track x1, Grand Valley Speedway x2)
-Toyota Supra GT500 (Nurburgring GP x3, Deep Forest Raceway - Reverse x1, Twin Ring Motegi Road Course x2)
-Lexus SC430 GT500 (Apricot Hill Raceway x3, Grand Valley Speedway x1)
-Pozzi Motorsports Camaro RS (Red Bull Ring x3, Mount Panorama Racing Circuit x1)
-Nissan Z GT500 (Spa-Francorchamps x2, Circuit de la Sarthe 2013 x2, Mid-Field Raceway x1)
-Ferrari 430 Scuderia (Monza x2, Cape Ring - Inside x2)
-Lotus 111R Race Car (Grand Valley Speedway x3, Brands Hatch GP 80's x1, Twin Ring Motegi Road Course x1)

Long races? Short races varying combos throughout the night? What say the people? Anything on your mind already? Let's get the ball rolling but most importantly enjoy the holidays!

This Sunday is our next opportunity for some special racing. Here are the most popular cars and/or combos of 2015:

-Caterham Seven Fireblade (Brands Hatch GP x1, Tokyo R246 x2, Red Bull Ring Short Track x1, Grand Valley Speedway x2)
-Toyota Supra GT500 (Nurburgring GP x3, Deep Forest Raceway - Reverse x1, Twin Ring Motegi Road Course x2)
-Pozzi Motorsports Camaro RS (Red Bull Ring x3, Mount Panorama Racing Circuit x1)
-Nissan Z GT500 (Spa-Francorchamps x2, Circuit de la Sarthe 2013 x2, Mid-Field Raceway x1)
-Lotus 111R Race Car (Grand Valley Speedway x3, Brands Hatch GP 80's x1, Twin Ring Motegi Road Course x1)

Long races? Short races varying combos throughout the night? What say the people? Anything on your mind already? Let's get the ball rolling but most importantly enjoy the holidays!

There are over a thousand cars in the game, and you want to run one that has already been run? Let's run something new. How about using one of the twenty million dollar cars?

Considering everyone usually bites my ass no matter what I say I thought I'd play it safe with cars already proven to be fun. The idea in my head was that if we enjoyed a car on sunday, this would be a chance to use it again and longer races because holiday we can change format.

But I'm just throwing out ideas. Everyone can do the same. I'm not in charge

I thought this was a group effort since everyone is allowed to join. No divisions here. I'd like to be in charge but idk if that'll go over well

Somebody needs to be leading the charge though. There always needs to be somebody willing to call it his and take ownership of it, success or fail. It's very close now. Id say too close to start gathering opinions and testing this or that. If there's going to be a holiday event, the basic format needs to be announced like yesterday. The problem now is that there's little time to build hype and we know there will be a number of folks playing their fancy new PS4's after Christmas.

It's a shame nobody else thought to plan ahead. I was gonna bump this thread a bit sooner but nobody seemed interested. I just like the idea of doing something out of the usual format. I'll working tomorrow 1-9 but after that I'll start figuring things out.

Let me knoe

I want people to tell me which of those combos listed they like the most. From that I can get an idea of where to go with it. Like Lessen said, I should use a new car so from the choices here I can go from there.

I don't think I own that car. I'll have to pick one up when I get home from work and try it out.

No weight changes, just racing. We've had the D1-D3 guys in Thursday Practice for a few weeks now and it's not so bad. We know they'll be near the front but knowing you're the best of the rest is still just as satisfying.

You notice there are three GT500 race cars on that list? There's a reason they're so popular. I've brought up multi-class racing before but the lobby isn't big enough for that to be fun unless it's a full room. I would like D1-D3 in GT300 and D4-D6 in GT500. But probably not gonna happen.

Instead, maybe we open the field to all GT500 cars (minus the Supra since it's at a downforce disadvantage). Set weight to 1100kg, HP to 500 and we're good to go. This would allow us to race different cars side by side which we don't do often in SNAIL.

Race cars always provide good racing. Heh, kinda makes sense, it's in the name... :)

Putting the faster guys in the slower cars is a good idea penguin. It gives everyone an opportunity to win. (pretty sure that was my idea when you brought it up in GT1). Pick a car from each class pick a track. And start planning this is your baby your in charge. Depending on the cars selected I'll be there.

I also like the idea of the using best combos and making them longer. The high end performance around monza would make for some great long race racing.

As for race length this is a special night of racing don't follow the SNR path and make it interesting.

Putting the faster guys in the slower cars is a good idea penguin. It gives everyone an opportunity to win. (pretty sure that was my idea when you brought it up in GT1). Pick a car from each class pick a track. And start planning this is your baby your in charge. Depending on the cars selected I'll be there.

I also like the idea of the using best combos and making them longer. The high end performance around monza would make for some great long race racing.

As for race length this is a special night of racing don't follow the SNR path and make it interesting.

Great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back