SNAIL Holiday Event Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No weight changes, just racing. We've had the D1-D3 guys in Thursday Practice for a few weeks now and it's not so bad. We know they'll be near the front but knowing you're the best of the rest is still just as satisfying.

You notice there are three GT500 race cars on that list? There's a reason they're so popular. I've brought up multi-class racing before but the lobby isn't big enough for that to be fun unless it's a full room. I would like D1-D3 in GT300 and D4-D6 in GT500. But probably not gonna happen.

Instead, maybe we open the field to all GT500 cars (minus the Supra since it's at a downforce disadvantage). Set weight to 1100kg, HP to 500 and we're good to go. This would allow us to race different cars side by side which we don't do often in SNAIL.

Race cars always provide good racing. Heh, kinda makes sense, it's in the name... :)

Set the rules and the people will follow. Don't fret about it too much. GT500 with the restrictions above sounds good.

As I said in the main thread, I'll help with a banner.

For tracks, I'm thinking of selecting from the tracks above that have been used many times. I know Apricot Hill is a hell of a lot of fun.

The Cars:
-
Nissan Z GT500 Base Model
-Nissan GT-R GT500 Base Model
-Honda HSV-010 GT500 Base Model
-Honda NSX GT500 Base Model
-Lexus SC430 GT500 Base Model
(The Toyota Supra is left out because it has 100 less downforce front and back. This puts it at a disadvantage. With the performance settings as they will be, all five cars will have the same power, weight, and downforce.)

Performance Filter:
-PP Limit: No Limit (Cars are to be kept stock so it doesn't matter)
-Max Power Limit: 498HP (Honda NSX is limited and ballast'd to 1150kg as a handicap. In-game car info confirms and I'm okay with it.)
-Minimum Weight: 1100kg
-Tires: Racing Hard

Race Settings:

Start Type: Grid Start
Grid Order: Fastest First, followed by Reverse Grid the rest of the night
Boost: None
Penalty: None
Tire/Fuel Depletion: Normal
Grip Reduction: Real
Visible Damage: Off
Mechanical Damage: Light
Slipstream: Real
Driving Line: Available
ABS: Available
Other Aids: Off
Tuning: Prohibited

Tracks:
-Apricot Hill Raceway
-Autodromo de Monza
-Brands Hatch GP
-Nurburgring GP/F

-Twin Ring Motegi Road Course
-Fuji Speedway GT

That's three hours of racing. Minus the time between races. I put a gap to the last two tracks. These two are in case we still want to keep going after two hours. The first four tracks I picked have time change. I have this idea in my head that we're taking a world tour, so the race start times will be 9am - 11am - 1pm - 3pm - 5pm, and then Fuji doesn't have time change.

This way we have shadows changing throughout the day and as the night goes on the shadows will get longer like we've been out all day racing.

Please post here if you are interested and will be there this Sunday. I will keep a list of all those that are confirmed to be there so I can get an accurate tally. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
That's three hours of racing. Minus the time between races. I put a gap to the last two tracks. These two are in case we still want to keep going after two hours. The first four tracks I picked have time change. I have this idea in my head that we're taking a world tour, so the race start times will be 9am - 11am - 1pm - 3pm - 5pm, and then Fuji doesn't have time change.
Whats your time progression for the races 1- 10 -15 -20?

Normal time progression. It's just to have the shadows be different from race to race, I don't care so much about how much it changes during the race itself.

Would others prefer to race into the night? I'll have to do testing to find out what time the Sun goes down at each track and what progression to use to make that happen within 30 minutes. I can make it so the Sun goes down halfway through so we get an even amount of both day and night OR race until the Sun is going down but never full down so shadows are really long and sometimes the Sun will be in your eyes.

Normal time progression. It's just to have the shadows be different from race to race, I don't care so much about how much it changes during the race itself.

Would others prefer to race into the night? I'll have to do testing to find out what time the Sun goes down at each track and what progression to use to make that happen within 30 minutes. I can make it so the Sun goes down halfway through so we get an even amount of both day and night OR race until the Sun is going down but never full down so shadows are really long and sometimes the Sun will be in your eyes.
Find the race time on fuji and slip it in. but what I'm referring to is have each race progress an hour for the half hour race frame

oh another thing are we allowed oil changes between races or is the car you start the night with the car you finish with (no oil changes after the start of races 1) your going to loose HP through out the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll slip in Fuji and make it work. I think we're gonna get all three hours in :)

If we're gonna race through the sunset, progression has to sped up a little bit. We're only racing for 30 minutes at a time so normal time progression won't make it change much. It will feel like it's not changing at all. If this is what we have to do, I have to go test things out. I'm off the next two days and I'm Jewish so I don't have family stuff going on now. I'll figure it out so it's ready if we decide to, otherwise it will be normal time progression with the Sun changing throughout the day.

I'm testing with Alex O' different tire compounds for divisional but then tire wear plays into it. Anyways here is some free advice. If I were organizing this I would post what we were racing rather than ask for collaboration. That's just too time consuming and takes a lot longer to make a collective decision.

Tires are gonna be Racing Hard for everyone. It's just easier that way. They will last the 30 minutes no problem.

Everything important has been decided already and made public in that big post.

@Die_Birdy_Die I just realized Monza doesn't have time change either, so I'm gonna go with my original idea of each race being a different time of day. We will start in the morning and by the end it will be sunset. Night racing is really tough and I want this to be simple "just show up without practice and have fun" type racing. The last race will progress into sunset, but not full darkness. I will work this out tomorrow and post what time each race will start at.

Edit: We could do an honor system pit stop for all D1-D3 drivers, forcing them to pit halfway through the race and then work their way back up through the field. It would be fun for them and the lower division guys get a chance to lead the pack.

Just my $.02 here but good call on the same tires for everyone. It's easier to organize and speaking from personal experience, when you get different drivers on different tires, you get different brake points and that leads to issues more often than not.

There is a chance that I may pop in and run on Sunday night but I don't want to commit and take a spot from someone that will show up and race. It will all depend on how the next three days go if I'm there or not.

Lobby will open at 8pm EST. Racing will start at 8:30pm EST. This is to allow time for everyone to join and/or re-join if need be. If all goes well we should be done by midnight.

Is a driver limited to one car for the night or can they switch it up throughout the evening?

Is a driver limited to one car for the night or can they switch it up throughout the evening?
Ah, I forgot to answer this before. Yes, due to power loss, one is expected to have at least 3 duplicate cars. Two races per car should be good.

Also, please use your official SNAIL color/number combo.

Ah, I forgot to answer this before. Yes, due to power loss, one is expected to have at least 3 duplicate cars. Two races per car should be good.

Also, please use your official SNAIL color/number combo.

What about using different models for different races?

Nope, car change is for oil change only.

Also, a huge thanks goes out to @Rednose58 for this:

christmas-special-2-png.495176

Everything important has been decided already and made public in that big post.

@Die_Birdy_Die I just realized Monza doesn't have time change either, so I'm gonna go with my original idea of each race being a different time of day. We will start in the morning and by the end it will be sunset. Night racing is really tough and I want this to be simple "just show up without practice and have fun" type racing. The last race will progress into sunset, but not full darkness. I will work this out tomorrow and post what time each race will start at.

Edit: We could do an honor system pit stop for all D1-D3 drivers, forcing them to pit halfway through the race and then work their way back up through the field. It would be fun for them and the lower division guys get a chance to lead the pack.[/QUOTE]
Just my $.02 here but good call on the same tires for everyone. It's easier to organize and speaking from personal experience, when you get different drivers on different tires, you get different brake points and that leads to issues more often than not.

There is a chance that I may pop in and run on Sunday night but I don't want to commit and take a spot from someone that will show up and race. It will all depend on how the next three days go if I'm there or not.

It looks like you are getting everything together but for what its worth, we just finished testing three different tracks with drivers from d2, d4 and d6 we were running near identical lap times (separated by tenths of a second) with the d1-2 guys on Racing Hard, d3-4 on Racing medium and d5-6 on racing soft. all running the same car (Z GT500). It came down to who didn't make any mistakes. Everyone was able to keep up and the breaking points, because of skill level, were the same. Even on the softer tires d5 - d6 guys break earlier. This would allow the slower classes to challenge the D1 -2 guys with out a "forced" pit stop. It would make for a "Christmas dream" event of sorts where the slower classes would have a shot at beating the faster guys that we are striving to become.

Huge thank you to TomMang, Xrad and Bassworks for helping test this theory!

How's the head count going ? Only one has replied with a correct entry :P

Racing hards,our choice of these cars :

The Cars:
-
Nissan Z GT500 Base Model
-Nissan GT-R GT500 Base Model
-Honda HSV-010 GT500 Base Model
-Honda NSX GT500 Base Model
-Lexus SC430 GT500 Base Model

All of these tracks:
Tracks:
-Apricot Hill Raceway
-Autodromo de Monza
-Brands Hatch GP
-Nurburgring GP/F

-Twin Ring Motegi Road Course
-Fuji Speedway GT

So,these are going to be 30 min. races per Track, 1 race per track?

I would like to participate. Sounds like a great event. Thank you for throwing this together penguin.

List of interested/confirmed drivers:

-Alex ONeill
-brian540
-Die_Birdy_Die
-JLBowler
-IllTrick
-MajorBlixem
-Raw10_2u
-Richroo
-TomMang_68
-Whitey093

I am going to work today to decide what time of day each race will be at and that will determine the order of tracks.

Last edited:
Once you have a solid plan post it on the main thread and I'm sure you'll get more takers. I'm questionable at best to race this Sunday but did enjoy testing with the guys last night.

This is our race schedule. We will be taking a world tour, imagining Apricot Hill is in the Eifel Mountains and ending with the legendary near mile-stretch of pavement that is Fuji.

Race 1:
Brands Hatch GP - Time: 11am
Race 2: Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Time: 12:30pm
Race 3: Apricot Hill Raceway - Time: 1pm
Race 4: Nurburgring GP/F - Time: 2pm
Race 5: Twin Ring Motegi Race Course - Time: 3pm
Race 6: Fuji Speedway GT - Time: 4pm

EDIT: Slight change to the schedule. I'm putting Apricot Hill before Monza and pushing the times back to 10am and 11am for the first two races. This way we get another pre-noon race. It will go like this: And I'm switching Brands Hatch with Apricot Hill. Brands Hatch is a harder track and we should start with something a bit easier to warm us up.

Race 1: Apricot Hill Raceway - Time: 10am
Race 2: Brands Hatch GP - Time: 11pm
Race 3: Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Time: 12:30pm
Race 4: Nurburgring GP/F - Time: 2pm
Race 5: Twin Ring Motegi Race Course - Time: 3pm
Race 6: Fuji Speedway GT - Time: 4pm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back