SNAIL Index Racing - One Night Only

• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 143 comments
Oooooooowwwweeeeee! I found a keeper for race 1. My best lap was a 1:11.259 and consistently hitting 1:12.05's, and have a full proof strategy to slow/speed up lap times, halfway through the lap.
This is going to be an epic event! :cheers:

Oooooooowwwweeeeee! I found a keeper for race 1. My best lap was a 1:11.259 and consistently hitting 1:12.05's, and have a full proof strategy to slow/speed up lap times, halfway through the lap.
This is going to be an epic event! :cheers:

Speaking from experience, that may be a little too fast. You've got to account for the little bit of draft, pushing a little harder while racing others, and practice time that will lower those times.

Speaking from experience, that may be a little too fast. You've got to account for the little bit of draft, pushing a little harder while racing others, and practice time that will lower those times.
hence the fullproof strategy to cut lap times if need be, halfway through the lap, not too mention I left a bit room to de-tune the power. My thinking here is to run a lap as close to 1:12.000 in the first few laps, and ensure I keep an eye on the +/- (red or purple) lap times throughout the remaining laps, and adjust accordingly, and personally I think traffic will more than make up for draft at Tskuba. It took me quite a few laps of pushing real hard, with no traffic to get under the 1:12, and only went under that number twice.
Anyway, enough of me giving up my entire startegy........

hence the fullproof strategy to cut lap times if need be, halfway through the lap, not too mention I left a bit room to de-tune the power. My thinking here is to run a lap as close to 1:12.000 in the first few laps, and ensure I keep an eye on the +/- (red or purple) lap times throughout the remaining laps, and adjust accordingly, and personally I think traffic will more than make up for draft at Tskuba. It took me quite a few laps of pushing real hard, with no traffic to get under the 1:12, and only went under that number twice.
Anyway, enough of me giving up my entire startegy........

All well and good. Just remember this from the first post about slowing down.

If you have the need to slow your car to try and stay above the index time you must adhere to the following:

A driver who is slowing to stay above the index time must remain at speed until they can move completely out of the racing line.
Once they have moved out of the racing line, they may slow down.
Once a driver has slowed down, they may not reenter the racing line and fight for position until they have returned to full race speed.
(It is suggested that drivers not put themselves in a position to have to do this. This can be easily accomplished by not selecting a car that can easily beat the index time.)

Ok, so I found a car that is right where I want it...One question though...Will we have time between races to make other changes to the car? Reasoning, my car tunes are based on the speed gained from the tires with more traction. Meaning, I'm messing with aero, transmission, and power settings for each tire compound. I just need time to switch between the different build sheets, maybe like 10 sec.

All well and good. Just remember this from the first post about slowing down.
My plan for adjusting lap times, is as minimal as shifting a bit early so it won't interfere with anybody else.
In any event, I'm sure your experience will trump my un-informed optimism every time, but hey I'm having fun testing and looking forward to the races. Regardless of where I actually finish, I know this will be a ton o' fun.

My plan for adjusting lap times, is as minimal as shifting a bit early so it won't interfere with anybody else.
In any event, I'm sure your experience will trump my un-informed optimism every time, but hey I'm having fun testing and looking forward to the races. Regardless of where I actually finish, I know this will be a ton o' fun.

I'm pretty sure I'll run mid pack and not get a penalty for running under the index. I probably won't win but I will be racing with someone and that's what it's all about.

I just saw that you could run .8 under and that seems like a lot to make up for based on prior experience but if you can do it without slowing down, good on you.

I haven’t seen any posts here. That’s fine. The less prepared you are, the better my chances! Ha! :lol: I’ve had my cars picked out for a week or so now. What about you suckers? :eek: The only car I’m second guessing is the one I picked for Nurb. It is so ‘out there’ that I worry how it will jive with the other inferior picks. :cool:

I need to get my cars figured out still. Either way, I’m not showing up to win or anything. I want to use the most mundane cars I can and just have a good time. The series I’m in are getting so competitive that I need a relaxing night time to time.

My goal is going to be to try and drive cars that are not eligible for use on Sunday night. The high dollar stuff needs to get out of the garage and stretch their legs.

I'm looking at a Wednesday night test session. Bring an assortment of cars to test and we'll run 3 or 4 lap races. This should allow us to see how our cars are going to perform in a group and get some first lap index times.

I'm looking at a Wednesday night test session. Bring an assortment of cars to test and we'll run 3 or 4 lap races. This should allow us to see how our cars are going to perform in a group and get some first lap index times.
Do you have a time in mind? I think you will post on the main thread.

Do you have a time in mind? I think you will post on the main thread.

It will probably be around 6 PM PT. Maybe a little earlier, maybe a little later but I'll post the room number up here once it's open.

I will have a room up tonight right after I finish dinner. I'll post the room number here.

I do have a couple of requests for tonight.
  1. Please don't "peddle" your car to try and hit the time tonight. The reason for this is that I'm trying to get good data for first lap index times and if the cars and drivers are not racing at their full potential, that data could get skewed.
  2. Not really a request but once you are on track, I am assuming you are ready to race. Races will be 3 or 4 laps each and will start as soon as everyone is on track.
  3. Be creative. Run different cars and see what works and what doesn't.
  4. Have fun. There are no standings or results to worry about tonight. Just gathering some information and testing some things.

I’ll join in 2 hours if the room is still open

Edit: 20 minute trip home turned into an hour due to train broke down.

Last edited:
Room closed. @basswerks1 was the only guy that showed up.

Still can't get a good grasp on the Nurburgring. Going to have to do some tuning up or tuning down to get something to work well. 3 seconds off both ways tonight. Got a good idea on the other two though.

Last edited:
SNAIL Index Racing

Imagine, if you will, a race series that allows it's drivers to run virtually whatever car they want. A series that allows tuning but doesn't require it. A series that allows any modification to your car. Most importantly, a series that makes it possible for every driver to compete directly with every other driver regardless of their skill level.

If this sounds like something you would like to participate in, keep reading.

Now imagine that this is done without the use of boost in the game and everyone is on the same tires.

Index racing is a type of racing that is normally reserved for drag racing. The basic premise is that a time is set that is not allowed to be bested on the run. This series will use a similar method of keeping the competition balanced.​

How It Works

Once a course is selected, a time will be set and no driver will be allowed to run faster than that time in the race. Pretty simple, right?

How We Make Sure Drivers Don't Go Faster Than Allowed

Replays will be reviewed and time penalties will be given for any laps below the index time (these are called breakout laps). The time penalty will be a progressive penalty.

Breakout lap #1 = Time penalty equal to 5 times the amount under the index time or 1 second, whichever is greater.
Breakout lap #2 = Time penalty equal to 10 times the amount under the index time or 2 seconds, whichever is greater.
Breakout lap #3 = Time penalty equal to 20 times the amount under the index time or 4 seconds, whichever is greater.
Breakout lap #4 = Time penalty equal to the index time for one lap.
Breakout lap #5 = DQ from the race.

Official results will be calculated using total race times.

What Car Can I Use?

Drivers may use any car they choose to as long as they don't run below the index time. This gives a lot of freedom to drive what you want. Tires will be regulated so that everyone is on the same compound.

Other Information

All drivers are expected to follow the SNAIL OLR when it comes to race craft. This is meant to be fun and drivers of different skill levels will be able to keep up so if your motivation is to win every race, please stay away. If you're going to spend time trying to find ways to game the rules or sit on the track not racing, don't bother showing up. If you want to enjoy some close racing and have a good time, win, lose, or whatever, this is the spot for you.

We will be using a rolling start for all races. Lap one may have a different index time than the rest of the race. (the rolling start is subject to change based on the results of future testing)

If you have the need to slow your car to try and stay above the index time you must adhere to the following:

A driver who is slowing to stay above the index time must remain at speed until they can move completely out of the racing line.
Once they have moved out of the racing line, they may slow down.
Once a driver has slowed down, they may not reenter the racing line and fight for position until they have returned to full race speed.
(It is suggested that drivers not put themselves in a position to have to do this. This can be easily accomplished by not selecting a car that can easily beat the index time.)

Draft will be set to real so you'll need to pay attention to the effects on lap times.

Tire wear and fuel consumption will be off so you won't have to factor that into lap times.

Damage will be set to light.

This is scheduled for Feb. 22 (pending interest) with a 9:30 PM ET start. If you are interested in participating in this event, please reply to this thread and you will be added to the drivers list. This event is open to all SNAIL members, active or inactive, as well as any drivers that have never been a member of SNAIL.

hello, im interested on this kind of event,

Drivers list updated in post #3. We currently have 12 signed up and 3 reserve drivers. This event can easily spill over to a second lobby since finishing times are what determines results so don't be afraid to sign up thinking we're almost full.

Also if anyone is willing to share what kinds of cars they will be using at each of the tracks, it might help guys out with at least a starting point. I'll start on this one. Of course others may get different results that what I've found but it could be a place to start.

• Tsukuba: I've found N100 cars tuned up and N200 cars tuned down can both run at the index time.
  • Interlagos: Haven't done much testing but the N500 Vette Gr. 3 road version that is sold in the mileage exchange with a little adjustment to power is right on the index time.
  • Nurburgring: I'm stuck on this one. Gr. 2 is too fast and Gr. 3 is too slow for me. I'm going to have to either tune up or tune down about 3 seconds or find something else all together. Maybe something in Gr. X will be closer to the time and more interesting.

You’re right on the money JL. For Nurb, I opted for Group X. I’d like my picks to remain a surprise. In any case, your advice is what anybody needs!

Please sign me up. I enjoyed the last time we did this. (Has it really been that long ?) I plan on doing some testing tonight if any of you folks are interested.

Please sign me up. I enjoyed the last time we did this. (Has it really been that long ?) I plan on doing some testing tonight if any of you folks are interested.

You're added to the list. I won't be around tonight as I have to go to a wedding for someone that I have never met. My wife works with her and my wife was invited. There had better be an open bar.

You're added to the list. I won't be around tonight as I have to go to a wedding for someone that I have never met. My wife works with her and my wife was invited. There had better be an open bar.
That would certainly help the situation

Latest Posts

Back