SNAIL Index Racing - One Night Only

Discussion in 'SNAIL Archives' started by JLBowler, Jan 18, 2019.

1. DublDee

DublDee

Oooooooowwwweeeeee! I found a keeper for race 1. My best lap was a 1:11.259 and consistently hitting 1:12.05's, and have a full proof strategy to slow/speed up lap times, halfway through the lap.
    This is going to be an epic event! :cheers:

2. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Speaking from experience, that may be a little too fast. You've got to account for the little bit of draft, pushing a little harder while racing others, and practice time that will lower those times.

3. DublDee

DublDee

hence the fullproof strategy to cut lap times if need be, halfway through the lap, not too mention I left a bit room to de-tune the power. My thinking here is to run a lap as close to 1:12.000 in the first few laps, and ensure I keep an eye on the +/- (red or purple) lap times throughout the remaining laps, and adjust accordingly, and personally I think traffic will more than make up for draft at Tskuba. It took me quite a few laps of pushing real hard, with no traffic to get under the 1:12, and only went under that number twice.
    Anyway, enough of me giving up my entire startegy........

Tecticles likes this.
  4. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

All well and good. Just remember this from the first post about slowing down.

5. vsfit

vsfit

Ok, so I found a car that is right where I want it...One question though...Will we have time between races to make other changes to the car? Reasoning, my car tunes are based on the speed gained from the tires with more traction. Meaning, I'm messing with aero, transmission, and power settings for each tire compound. I just need time to switch between the different build sheets, maybe like 10 sec.

6. DublDee

DublDee

My plan for adjusting lap times, is as minimal as shifting a bit early so it won't interfere with anybody else.
    In any event, I'm sure your experience will trump my un-informed optimism every time, but hey I'm having fun testing and looking forward to the races. Regardless of where I actually finish, I know this will be a ton o' fun.

7. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

I'm pretty sure I'll run mid pack and not get a penalty for running under the index. I probably won't win but I will be racing with someone and that's what it's all about.

I just saw that you could run .8 under and that seems like a lot to make up for based on prior experience but if you can do it without slowing down, good on you.

DublDee likes this.
  8. Lessen

Lessen

@JLBowler i am unfortunately deciding to withdraw from this one. Just too many commitments and races to prep for this month.

9. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Time of day for tracks 2 and 3 are updated.

DublDee likes this.
  10. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

I haven’t seen any posts here. That’s fine. The less prepared you are, the better my chances! Ha! :lol: I’ve had my cars picked out for a week or so now. What about you suckers? :eek: The only car I’m second guessing is the one I picked for Nurb. It is so ‘out there’ that I worry how it will jive with the other inferior picks. :cool:

11. Whitey093

Whitey093

I need to get my cars figured out still. Either way, I’m not showing up to win or anything. I want to use the most mundane cars I can and just have a good time. The series I’m in are getting so competitive that I need a relaxing night time to time.

Nick Cannella likes this.
  12. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

My goal is going to be to try and drive cars that are not eligible for use on Sunday night. The high dollar stuff needs to get out of the garage and stretch their legs.

stelephant and Rob Brown like this.
  13. Noob01_lmdead

Noob01_lmdead

im in...... lets have fun.
    I hate to be the last one every time.

14. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

I'm looking at a Wednesday night test session. Bring an assortment of cars to test and we'll run 3 or 4 lap races. This should allow us to see how our cars are going to perform in a group and get some first lap index times.

DublDee and Rob Brown like this.
  15. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Do you have a time in mind? I think you will post on the main thread.

16. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

It will probably be around 6 PM PT. Maybe a little earlier, maybe a little later but I'll post the room number up here once it's open.

17. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

I will have a room up tonight right after I finish dinner. I'll post the room number here.

I do have a couple of requests for tonight.
    1. Please don't "peddle" your car to try and hit the time tonight. The reason for this is that I'm trying to get good data for first lap index times and if the cars and drivers are not racing at their full potential, that data could get skewed.
    2. Not really a request but once you are on track, I am assuming you are ready to race. Races will be 3 or 4 laps each and will start as soon as everyone is on track.
    3. Be creative. Run different cars and see what works and what doesn't.
    4. Have fun. There are no standings or results to worry about tonight. Just gathering some information and testing some things.

18. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

I’ll join in 2 hours if the room is still open

Edit: 20 minute trip home turned into an hour due to train broke down.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  19. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Room closed. @basswerks1 was the only guy that showed up.

Still can't get a good grasp on the Nurburgring. Going to have to do some tuning up or tuning down to get something to work well. 3 seconds off both ways tonight. Got a good idea on the other two though.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  20. Herimopp89

Herimopp89 Premium

I know I was a reserve driver but I reluctantly have to withdraw from this event

21. Noob01_lmdead

Noob01_lmdead

hello, im interested on this kind of event,

JLBowler likes this.
  22. Noob01_lmdead

Noob01_lmdead

im in

23. thracerviewr

thracerviewr

I want to join if possible! This looks like so much fun!

JLBowler likes this.
  24. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Drivers list updated in post #3. We currently have 12 signed up and 3 reserve drivers. This event can easily spill over to a second lobby since finishing times are what determines results so don't be afraid to sign up thinking we're almost full.

Also if anyone is willing to share what kinds of cars they will be using at each of the tracks, it might help guys out with at least a starting point. I'll start on this one. Of course others may get different results that what I've found but it could be a place to start.

• Tsukuba: I've found N100 cars tuned up and N200 cars tuned down can both run at the index time.
    • Interlagos: Haven't done much testing but the N500 Vette Gr. 3 road version that is sold in the mileage exchange with a little adjustment to power is right on the index time.
    • Nurburgring: I'm stuck on this one. Gr. 2 is too fast and Gr. 3 is too slow for me. I'm going to have to either tune up or tune down about 3 seconds or find something else all together. Maybe something in Gr. X will be closer to the time and more interesting.

hirnsauger69 and Rob Brown like this.
  25. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

You’re right on the money JL. For Nurb, I opted for Group X. I’d like my picks to remain a surprise. In any case, your advice is what anybody needs!

hirnsauger69 likes this.
  26. basswerks1

basswerks1

Please sign me up. I enjoyed the last time we did this. (Has it really been that long ?) I plan on doing some testing tonight if any of you folks are interested.

27. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

You're added to the list. I won't be around tonight as I have to go to a wedding for someone that I have never met. My wife works with her and my wife was invited. There had better be an open bar.

basswerks1 and Nick Cannella like this.
  28. Nick Cannella

Nick Cannella Premium

That would certainly help the situation

29. basswerks1

basswerks1

30. Alex ONeill

Alex ONeill

Count me in!