SNAIL Index Racing - One Night Only

Discussion in 'SNAIL Archives' started by JLBowler, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Sean Renon

Sean Renon

I had fun, until the last 4-5 laps of the first race.

Slowing down on the driving line and generally getting in the way because your car can run a 1:06 on a 1:12 index is just unsportsmanlike in my opinion.

DublDee likes this.
  2. DublDee

DublDee

Sorry I had to leave after the first race guys, but the wife's POS Mercedes is back in the shop for the 3rd time this month. They were such great cars when they were builtin Germany, and not Mexico!:banghead:

3. DublDee

DublDee

who ever was in that Lancer was coming out of turn 1 and leaving it in 2nd on the limiter, then down the back staright would flyby everyone, until the start/finish.....I almost rear ended him twice!

basswerks1 and Sean Renon like this.
  4. Sean Renon

Sean Renon

Remember the last corner where he sped up to get in front of us just before it started, then just coasted, no throttle on the Apex during that whole corner. Holding us both up.

Worst part about it was I checked the replay, he had gone sub 1:12 for the 5th time (DQ) on something like lap 17.

DublDee likes this.
  5. DublDee

DublDee

It definitely took away from what I believe, could've been a good battle for the win, between you and I. It was great racing until that point.

6. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Whoever did that either didn't prepare or didn't get the spirit of the event. Either way, it does take away a little from the overall experience. It sucks that I missed last night due to work. Hopefully, we can run it back again next Friday and I'll be able to make it.

DublDee and stelephant like this.
  7. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

The 30mins at interlagos last night has helped so far in FIA practice today

0223191327.jpg

8. Sean Renon

Sean Renon

I might give it another shot this Friday, I was just bummed out after the first race. I had a 1:11.5 optimal, so if I got slowed up by a second or two on the straight or in a corner I can't just speed up down the back stretch to make up for it.

DublDee likes this.
  9. Whitey093

Whitey093

The people blocking the racing line while coasting were annoying but outside of that the racing last night was fantastic! One problem I see is that if people are prepared for the event then it is almost impossible to move forward. I had a stretch of laps where I was withinin a tenth or two of the breakout time and I gained nothing, I believe I even lost ground on the next position still. That part of index racing is defeating and would get stale really quick, but every now and again it’s refreshing to do something so different. Had some really great battles with some very professional drivers though at Interlagos and that made the night for me.

DublDee likes this.
  10. basswerks1

basswerks1

It was fun for the most part. Maybe we need to explain to the evo driver. I did notice that with the rolling start the guys on pole are more at danger of breaking out of lap 1 index. I guess our competitive nature can get the best of us sometimes times. After all this is supposed to be for pure fun.

Also I was wandering about the fuel and tires. My car at interlagos had tons of grunt. But I’d bet it would of used up fuel and tires faster than the 4bangers that were chasing. It could add another dimension to the race.

Thoughts.

DublDee likes this.
  11. Whitey093

Whitey093

I wouldn’t want to add pit stops to the equation personally.

12. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

I just started looking at data. First race, first three drivers, and two of them earned a DQ for breakout laps. One on lap 19 and one on lap 21. I'll be going through the rest of it tonight and tomorrow but I have to leave for bowling league right now.

DublDee and basswerks1 like this.
  13. DublDee

DublDee

Doh!

14. Sean Renon

Sean Renon

I know I broke out 3 times, 2 of which were 1:11.9 laps, so the winner will be Sam (most likely)

DublDee likes this.
  15. Noob01_lmdead

Noob01_lmdead

Hello guys....it was me the one at the lancer.... so sorry for that . Reading your comments Now i understsnd the Spirit of this kínd of race.
    Please dont be mad at me. I didnot mean to be unsportmanship.

16. basswerks1

basswerks1

Ahh nah I’m not mad. I’m sure I did some stuff as a new driver (and maybe still do)

The important thing to do is learn from your mistakes and improve.

Don’t get discouraged. It happens to the best. Take notes, improve and come back better!

17. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Results from Friday's race are finalized. Finishing order is pretty straight forward. The gap time is the adjusted gap based on your finish time plus any penalties added for breakout laps. A DQ and a number next to your adjusted time signifies that you had too many breakout laps and the lap number on which you hit that threshold.

Tsukuba

1. SAMHAIN85 ---------------3.389
    2. MalevolentFather ----------6.768
    3. Alex_ONeil -----------------13.548
    4. basswerks1 ----------------14.431
    5. Rogue_Clone ---------------14.938
    6. rkzjb04 ---------------------21.772
    7. JamCarOne -----------------26.007
    8. TheRaceReviewer ----------26.604
    9. Grandpas_Money -----------28.154
    10. DUB-L-DEE ------------------85.267 DQ 21
    11. rauljimenez76 --------------81.750 DQ 19

Interlagos

1. basswerks1 -----------------0.000
    2. Grandpas_Money -----------0.387
    3. Whitey093 -------------------1.340
    4. rkzjb04 -----------------------1.677
    5. rauljimenez76 ----------------5.711
    6. Alex_ONeil --------------------9.794
    7. JamCarOne ------------------12.210
    8. SAMHAIN85 -----------------14.263
    9. TheRaceReviewer ------------24.576
    10. Rogue_Clone ----------------127.699 DQ 15

Nurburgring GP

1. Grandpas_Money -------------1.455
    2. SAMHAIN85 -------------------3.649
    3. Alex_ONeil ---------------------9.877
    4. TheRaceReviewer -------------22.034
    5. rauljimenez76 -----------------27.995
    6. Whitey093 ---------------------29.544
    7. Rogue_Clone -------------------35.413
    8. rkzjb04 ------------------------175.427 DQ 13

18. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

I coulda swore I didnt breakout in Race 1 or all night for that matter.

Edit: nevermind. My gap for Race 1 doesnt necessarily mean I did breakout.

I'm gonna change my car for Interlagos next week. While the GT40 is a fun drive its just not competitive enough.

19. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

Are we still on for Friday? I need to test some more if we are

stelephant likes this.
  20. basswerks1

basswerks1

Same track/ time combos ?

stelephant likes this.
  21. Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Testing right now. Can't be too prepared. Don’t want to waste time though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  22. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Thanks to everyone that showed up and ran this on Friday. Thank you especially to @SAMHAIN85 for stepping up and running the night in my absence.

I will not be available this Friday either as I am going to take an evening and a day to get away from everything related to work and SNAIL. I have mentioned to @SAMHAIN85 about running this back on Friday and he didn't want to run this on back to back weeks without me.

For now, I'm going to put Index racing on the shelf and look to bring it back around in May or June for another night. Three different tracks with different times. If there was anything else that didn't work well or could be improved upon, make your thoughts known and I'll take a look at whatever needs to be done to make the next event better than this one.

23. Noob01_lmdead

Noob01_lmdead

Gas comsumsion May be an excelent fine tuning for the lap times....

24. JLBowler

JLBowler Premium

Not looking for ideas that make it more difficult to run consistent times or tricks to game to allow someone to stay above the index time. Lower fuel load will make you run faster lap times. Pit stops are also not something that needs to be brought into the equation.

The goal of this type of racing is to choose a car that can run consistently close to the index time without going under it. The goal is not to show up with a car that can run well under the time and then try and slow it down through tricks and games or having to slow down to stay above the time.

Nick Cannella and stelephant like this.