• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 143 comments

JLBowler

Premium
United States
California
JLBowler
SNAIL Index Racing

Imagine, if you will, a race series that allows it's drivers to run virtually whatever car they want. A series that allows tuning but doesn't require it. A series that allows any modification to your car. Most importantly, a series that makes it possible for every driver to compete directly with every other driver regardless of their skill level.

If this sounds like something you would like to participate in, keep reading.

Now imagine that this is done without the use of boost in the game and everyone is on the same tires.

Index racing is a type of racing that is normally reserved for drag racing. The basic premise is that a time is set that is not allowed to be bested on the run. This series will use a similar method of keeping the competition balanced.​

How It Works

Once a course is selected, a time will be set and no driver will be allowed to run faster than that time in the race. Pretty simple, right?

How We Make Sure Drivers Don't Go Faster Than Allowed

Replays will be reviewed and time penalties will be given for any laps below the index time (these are called breakout laps). The time penalty will be a progressive penalty.

Breakout lap #1 = Time penalty equal to 5 times the amount under the index time or 1 second, whichever is greater.
Breakout lap #2 = Time penalty equal to 10 times the amount under the index time or 2 seconds, whichever is greater.
Breakout lap #3 = Time penalty equal to 20 times the amount under the index time or 4 seconds, whichever is greater.
Breakout lap #4 = Time penalty equal to the index time for one lap.
Breakout lap #5 = DQ from the race.

Official results will be calculated using total race times.

What Car Can I Use?

Drivers may use any car they choose to as long as they don't run below the index time. This gives a lot of freedom to drive what you want. Tires will be regulated so that everyone is on the same compound.

Other Information

All drivers are expected to follow the SNAIL OLR when it comes to race craft. This is meant to be fun and drivers of different skill levels will be able to keep up so if your motivation is to win every race, please stay away. If you're going to spend time trying to find ways to game the rules or sit on the track not racing, don't bother showing up. If you want to enjoy some close racing and have a good time, win, lose, or whatever, this is the spot for you.

We will be using a rolling start for all races. Lap one may have a different index time than the rest of the race. (the rolling start is subject to change based on the results of future testing)

If you have the need to slow your car to try and stay above the index time you must adhere to the following:

A driver who is slowing to stay above the index time must remain at speed until they can move completely out of the racing line.
Once they have moved out of the racing line, they may slow down.
Once a driver has slowed down, they may not reenter the racing line and fight for position until they have returned to full race speed.
(It is suggested that drivers not put themselves in a position to have to do this. This can be easily accomplished by not selecting a car that can easily beat the index time.)

Draft will be set to real so you'll need to pay attention to the effects on lap times.

Tire wear and fuel consumption will be off so you won't have to factor that into lap times.

Damage will be set to light.

This is scheduled for Feb. 22 (pending interest) with a 9:30 PM ET start. If you are interested in participating in this event, please reply to this thread and you will be added to the drivers list. This event is open to all SNAIL members, active or inactive, as well as any drivers that have never been a member of SNAIL.

Last edited:
Pending enough interest, this event is scheduled for Feb. 22 with a start time of 9:30 PM ET and will consist of 3 races. Each race will be a set number of laps to allow for about 30 minutes each.

Tracks, tires, and index times will be posted here.

Race 1

Track: Tsukuba Circuit - 8:00 Clear
Tires: Comfort Soft
Index Time: 1:12.000
Lap 1 Index: 1:17.000
Laps: 25

Race 2

Track: Autodromo de Interlagos - 16:45 Cloudy
Tires: Sport Soft
Index Time: 1:46.000
Lap 1 Index: 1:51.000
Laps: 16

Race 3

Track:
Nurburgring GP - 19:30 Clear
Tires: Racing Medium
Index Time: 1:59.000
Lap 1 Index: 2:00.500
Laps: 15

Last edited:
put me down for a reserve not sure what i will be doing in a month put sounds like a good night of fun to me

@JLBowler please put me down as a reserve. i usually have poker on Fridays but NY weather in February has a way of changing set plans. I remember enjoying index racing in GT6.

Tires are set for each combo. We'll go with CS, SS, and RM in that order. I'll be working on tracks and times tonight.

If anyone knows which tracks can support a rolling start with 16 cars and not have the last couple in a turn, I'll take that list and run with it.

If roster is not full, please add me. Will be a complete Newby in this type of racing.

The first track is set. I'm open to suggestions on the second and third. I'll be doing some testing on Monday evening so if anyone wants to throw out an idea before then, I'll take it under consideration while testing. I will be setting the remaining two tracks on Monday night and will be running some test rooms to fine tune the lap one index times after that at some point.

Edit: A suggestion of Tokyo anything is not likely to gain any traction with me. :cheers:

Pencil me in too please.

Same car for all 3 races?

What Car Can I Use?

Drivers may use any car they choose to as long as they don't run below the index time. This gives a lot of freedom to drive what you want. Tires will be regulated so that everyone is on the same compound.

Rolling starts are also open to discussion. The original version of this series was set to use rolling starts but that was in GT6 and we had a double file version to use. GTS only has a single file version and the line can get a little long. It may be better to use a grid start with a lap one index time.

I think I am correct in remembering that the lap one time begins at the start of the race for everyone and not when they cross the start finish line the first time. Can someone verify this?

Pending enough interest, this event is scheduled for Feb. 22 with a start time of 9:30 PM ET and will consist of 3 races. Each race will be a set number of laps to allow for about 30 minutes each.

Tracks, tires, and index times will be posted here.

Race 1

Track: Tsukuba Circuit 8AM Clear
Tires: Comfort Soft
Index Time: 1:12.000
Lap 1 Index: 1:19.000 (subject to change if testing provides better data)
Laps: 25

Race 2

Track: Autodromo de Interlagos
Tires: Sport Soft
Index Time: 1:46.000
Lap 1 Index: TBD
Laps: 16

Race 3

Track:
Nurburgring GP
Tires: Racing Medium
Index Time: 1:59.000
Lap 1 Index: TBD
Laps: 15

Do you have a Time of Day for Tracks 2 & 3?

Do you have a Time of Day for Tracks 2 & 3?

I do but I wrote it down on my notepad at home. I'll update tonight. I do remember that the Nurburgring GP time of day is sunset. I'm drawing a blank on what i had for interlagos.

Back