So, about that course creator.

• Thread starter interpunct
  • 831 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to remember they are doing this on a console not a computer so they have to make it work with the very limited DS3.
I realize that course maker is way too advanced for a PS3, and I'm not expecting anything like that from PD yet.

I was just impressed with the level of detail and control that was demonstrated. I've always dreamed of a course maker like the one in the vid, I just didn't know programmers were getting that close, even if it's still just for PC only. To me, it's just a sign that the genre is going in a good direction. Maybe we'll see a course maker like that in GT8 or GT9 :lol:

Last edited:
As opposed to what? Being held up by accident?

Kaz: "Hey Junior programmer, I fired up GT6 last night for the first time since last July and wanted to make a new track but the Course Maker wasn't on my version of the game. What gives?"

Junior Programmer: "Ooops?" :lol:

As opposed to being held up by ineptitude, feature creep, bugs, or lack of resources. If it's being held up at all. It might simply get held over until GT7, which would be yet another black mark on GT6.

I'm pretty certain they won't leave it to GT7, they've followed through with 90% of the "features coming soon" list, and course maker is still on there. Kaz will deliver, it's just gonna be unfashionably late as usual.

I don't think we'll get a real explanation of why it took so long though, Rockstar explained to it's userbase why they didn't release heists for nearly 2 years, but PD don't like to be honest with their fans, which is more sad than anything.

The course creator is a lie.

I wouldn't go down that far into saying that the course creator is a lie.

honestly i'm still having fun with the given tracks. I'm patient enough to wait for course creator in gt7, I'd rather they take their time, than to rush it and be a disaster .

So they announced the course maker 2 years ago, still no news about it, besides it being in beta roughly a year ago.

I would count that as "taking their time" already, in no way is it being "rushed" :lol:
Yes yes, course creator coming to GT6, well I could say I do something "tomorrow" and stand behind it also tomorrow till I die without breaking my promised delivery "tomorrow", what will be always on tomorrow.
PD should stop promising things what they don't deliver in any way reasonable schedule.

If they drop course maker out from GT6, they have to consolidate owners of GT6 really heavily on GT7 release, but it's not any way acceptable to take something out from newcomers and give only to GT6 owner some content, maybe some endless credit well to GT6 owners or so...

I'm gonna need a towel...

That's simply amazing!! Endless possibilities

You have to remember they are doing this on a console not a computer so they have to make it work with the very limited DS3.
It would be possible on the PS4 though, not likely on the PS3. If it can be done on a pc it should be possible on the PS4.

It would be possible on the PS4 though, not likely on the PS3. If it can be done on a pc it should be possible on the PS4.
I'm thinking if they went all out like I think they want to for ps3, it would end up sorta like Tony hawk proskater level edit on N64. I can wait for a great course creator.

Why would it not be possible on the PS3?

The main difference is the controls you have, on a PC you've got a mouse and a keyboard, on a PS3 (and PS4) you've got a dualshock controller. For that reason it may be more complicated to work with on a PS3 (and PS4) than on a PC, but that's about it.

Except PD seems to use that excuse for every GT title - the current platform wont allow us to do what we want...

Kaz himself told he was very impressed with that editor, i really hope we get something like this or the old Vrally2 track maker, which unexpectedly, aged very well.

Was trying to remember the name of that game the other day. Which goes to so PD cannot use the PS3 platform as an excuse. If the PS1 could mayerialise the Vrally2 course creator whats the issue on PS3? Which is way more powerful and capable.

The main difference is the controls you have, on a PC you've got a mouse and a keyboard, on a PS3 (and PS4) you've got a dualshock controller. For that reason it may be more complicated to work with on a PS3 (and PS4) than on a PC, but that's about it.

Thought a USB keyboard and mouse could be used on both PS3 and PS4?

I don't think Kaz or PD have any excuses after watching this, i remember watching videos of the game but i didn't know that modnation have track maker in this depth.

What ?

ModNation Racer, requires much less resource to the PS3 than Gran Turismo.

Personally, I don't expect to have that.

The PS3 mostly lacks ram and gpu performance. The CPU has a high clock speed but has an unusual architecture. It would be just question of optimizing the feature and I don't undertsand why after all these years it's not done..

Last edited:
I don't think Kaz or PD have any excuses after watching this, i remember watching videos of the game but i didn't know that modnation have track maker in this depth.

You do know that isn't even close to the kind of resource comsuming game that GT is, right?

You do know that isn't even close to the kind of resource comsuming game that GT is, right?

What ?

ModNation Racer, requires much less resource to the PS3 than Gran Turismo.

Personally, I don't expect to have that.

I take it that you both realise the the "resource hungry" GT wouldn't be using those resource during track creation?

There is literally no reason at all for such a track editor not being in the game.

Do I think that will happen? No. I think we'll get something cut down from the GT5 version just like we got a cut down B-Spec, but that does not mean it wouldn't be possible to do it.

Kaz himself told he was very impressed with that editor
Yes, he told me - I mentioned it to him at the GT5 launch at GamesCom in 2010. So I suppose that if the GT6 course maker has the same sort of complexity but in a GT environment, it's all my fault :lol:

There's an awful lot of finger-pointing at PD going on in here that isn't really apt. As I said on page 6 or so:

As far as I'm aware though, there is no technological barrier that is preventing the Course Maker appearing on PS3.
It's also not a tactical delay - PD barely acknowledges the existence of other games, much less times its feature releases around them.

As I also said back on page 6, I can't (for good reasons) say what the hold up is and I apologise for the vagueness but it has to be that way:
To quote Brad Pitt:
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious, but I can't tell you and I can't tell you why.
I'm only posting to say that there's a good reason for the fact the course maker's schedule is not what people may have been expecting and it's neither because PD has overstretched itself and the tech nor because they're holding out on fans. I'm actually not even sure I can say that much, but there seems to be a lot of misplaced anger and I'm not a massive fan of that in general.

It'll be here when it's here and, since it has been in beta testing for about 2 years now, ought to be pretty robust if nothing else. Well, probably.

It'll be here when it's here and, since it has been in beta testing for about 2 years now, ought to be pretty robust if nothing else. Well, probably.
lol Famine i really want your patience, and i'm not talking about waiting for the course maker to arrive.
BTW i'm wondering why ,given PD's ability with trailers and cinematics, they haven't release much about course maker.
It might be even one of the strongest point in the game (right after the sheer number of cars and the attention given to tracks)and they haven't released a single one teaser? That's strange.
But it's also true that i want to be hyped up about it.:lol:

lol Famine i really want your patience, and i'm not talking about waiting for the course maker to arrive.
BTW i'm wondering why ,given PD's ability with trailers and cinematics, they haven't release much about course maker.
It might be even one of the strongest point in the game (right after the sheer number of cars and the attention given to tracks)and they haven't released a single one teaser? That's strange.
But it's also true that i want to be hyped up about it.:lol:

The B-SPEC mode and community feature were unveiled on the day of the release of the update.

Since GT5, communication has completely changed, PoDi announces something when it's ready.

I am pretty sure that the course maker will come this year. The question is when, exactly?

I can't see them getting both Google Earth and the track modding software to run on the PS3 with any speed whatsover. It would just be a laggy mess. My previous pc was many times more powerful than a PS3 and it was laggy using Google Earth, I can't imagine what the PS3 would be like. A Course Maker with it's own pre-made environments and without Google Earth, yes of course.

Yes, he told me - I mentioned it to him at the GT5 launch at GamesCom in 2010. So I suppose that if the GT6 course maker has the same sort of complexity but in a GT environment, it's all my fault :lol:

There's an awful lot of finger-pointing at PD going on in here that isn't really apt. As I said on page 6 or so:

It's also not a tactical delay - PD barely acknowledges the existence of other games, much less times its feature releases around them.

As I also said back on page 6, I can't (for good reasons) say what the hold up is and I apologise for the vagueness but it has to be that way:I'm only posting to say that there's a good reason for the fact the course maker's schedule is not what people may have been expecting and it's neither because PD has overstretched itself and the tech nor because they're holding out on fans. I'm actually not even sure I can say that much, but there seems to be a lot of misplaced anger and I'm not a massive fan of that in general.

The Great Famine has spoken! I guess we should just sit back with our Volkswagen Golf GTI Touring Car '02s, and race around Bathurst until it arrives. That's what I've been doing at least...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back