So, about that course creator.

• Thread starter interpunct
  • 831 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
...Hmm. You suspiciously sound like you might have some sort of inside info. I'm curious to find out more about your sources for all these... opinions disguised as facts.

Yes, it's one of those "citation needed" type thing.

I've been in game dev for 20 years and you learn over time how it all works. Sony and PD are a very predictable player. GT is not like any other game. It has one purpose and that is to showcase the PS series and move consoles. Nintendo has Mario. Sony has GT.

The series is predictable. There is a major release (1,3,5) preceded by a "prologue". Then there are the sequels (2,4,6). Among the sequels could be specials (like Tourist Trophy). The PS4 is too knew for a GT title yet. A port of GT6 does not showcase what PS4 can do, it would just be a black mark. There is no way it was ever seriously considered. Not a chance. I would eat my own tongue with fava beans if I'm wrong.

Expect GT7 in 2017. Maybe a prologue in 2016.

The course maker might... MIGHT... still happen. I am completely convinced that Sierra is a course maker track, so it works. Maybe Christmas will bring more than just new VGTs.

@Famine As @Lewis_Hamilton_ said, you can't be surprised by all the speculation over the course maker. This is the internet for god's sake! Legitimate questions go hand in hand with off the wall conspiracy theories. You've tried to put people at ease, but since you have to be extremely vague a large percentage of people are going to take that as more side tracking.

You seem like an honorable man. I don't know you personally, but you've been entrusted with the position of Administrator for an extremely large fan-site, so someone like me will take you at your word. However, even though I believe you know what you know, I don't believe for a second that you know as much as someone who works at PD. You might have your sources at PD and for all I know they could be blowing smoke up your... you know what I mean? And then there are people who aren't exactly like me and just because you're the Admin of GTP, they're still going to believe what they want to believe. You can't really be surprised by this.

I wouldn't be surprised if licensing or some sort of legal permissions have been holding up the Course Maker. What legal permissions? I don't have a clue. Like everyone else, I just wish PD would give us some sort of announcement. They can be almost as vague as Famine, but when it comes from the horses mouth people will feel better. Some, much better. Some, only slightly better. But when there is absolutely zero mention, for 18 months, of a feature that was mentioned as "possibly included in the shipping version of GT6 in Dec 2013" how can anyone be surprised that the masses aren't extremely skeptical of it ever appearing?

I've been in game dev for 20 years and you learn over time how it all works. Sony and PD are a very predictable player. GT is not like any other game. It has one purpose and that is to showcase the PS series and move consoles. Nintendo has Mario. Sony has GT.

The series is predictable. There is a major release (1,3,5) preceded by a "prologue". Then there are the sequels (2,4,6). Among the sequels could be specials (like Tourist Trophy). The PS4 is too knew for a GT title yet. A port of GT6 does not showcase what PS4 can do, it would just be a black mark. There is no way it was ever seriously considered. Not a chance. I would eat my own tongue with fava beans if I'm wrong.

Expect GT7 in 2017. Maybe a prologue in 2016.

The course maker might... MIGHT... still happen. I am completely convinced that Sierra is a course maker track, so it works. Maybe Christmas will bring more than just new VGTs.

...Hmm. Which game were you working on previously? Kinda curious.

I don't expect to see GT7 in 2017, barring an unexpected delay. I don't know much about software dev scene, but I do know how a corporation thinks, so 2017 is simply too far away in business terms. 2016 sounds spot-on.

Aaaaand I've noticed you have not provided any sources there my man...:mischievous:

@Famine As @Lewis_Hamilton_ said, you can't be surprised by all the speculation over the course maker. This is the internet for god's sake! Legitimate questions go hand in hand with off the wall conspiracy theories. You've tried to put people at ease, but since you have to be extremely vague a large percentage of people are going to take that as more side tracking.

You seem like an honorable man. I don't know you personally, but you've been entrusted with the position of Administrator for an extremely large fan-site, so someone like me will take you at your word. However, even though I believe you know what you know, I don't believe for a second that you know as much as someone who works at PD. You might have your sources at PD and for all I know they could be blowing smoke up your... you know what I mean? And then there are people who aren't exactly like me and just because you're the Admin of GTP, they're still going to believe what they want to believe. You can't really be surprised by this.

I wouldn't be surprised if licensing or some sort of legal permissions have been holding up the Course Maker. What legal permissions? I don't have a clue. Like everyone else, I just wish PD would give us some sort of announcement. They can be almost as vague as Famine, but when it comes from the horses mouth people will feel better. Some, much better. Some, only slightly better. But when there is absolutely zero mention, for 18 months, of a feature that was mentioned as "possibly included in the shipping version of GT6 in Dec 2013" how can anyone be surprised that the masses aren't extremely skeptical of it ever appearing?
Personally I take @Famine at his word, he's never steered us wrong before on issues like this. Pretty obvious he knows a lot more than he's allowed to say and that's enough for me.

The let down as you say, is the communication from PD. As we all know, when dealing with customer service issues, which this surely is, sometimes you just want to know you are being heard and for a time anyway, you can be placated with sweet words and a smile. I think something along the lines of what Famine has hinted at would go a long way to pacifying the fans. "We know you are patiently waiting, thank you, you guys are great, it is coming, unforseen circumstances, and it'll make sense when we finally release it why it was delayed. Blah blah blah, free DLC, by the way here's Midfield and now Seattle, enjoy... etc. ". Yes of course you'll still get the few diehards that say they don't believe it but that's par for the course really, nature of the beast and all that.

Personally I take @Famine at his word, he's never steered us wrong before on issues like this. Pretty obvious he knows a lot more than he's allowed to say and that's enough for me.

The let down as you say, is the communication from PD. As we all know, when dealing with customer service issues, which this surely is, sometimes you just want to know you are being heard and for a time anyway, you can be placated with sweet words and a smile. I think something along the lines of what Famine has hinted at would go a long way to pacifying the fans. "We know you are patiently waiting, thank you, you guys are great, it is coming, unforseen circumstances, and it'll make sense when we finally release it why it was delayed. Blah blah blah, free DLC, by the way here's Midfield and now Seattle, enjoy... etc. ". Yes of course you'll still get the few diehards that say they don't believe it but that's par for the course really, nature of the beast and all that.
And if Polyphony Digital is reading this, I believe they know where to find my resume (and me) for the job :lol:

And if Polyphony Digital is reading this, I believe they know where to find my resume (and me) for the job :lol:
I thought you were already affiliated with them, mah bad xD,

I thought about it today, and I kinda don't really mind if cc is released for gt6, we have enough tracks, and things to do anyways. I just hope the wait's worth it for gt7 if that's the route they go.

Yes. If PD would officially say something. Anything. Just address the issue - they don't have to go into the specifics of what's holding it up, but saying something would put an end to a lot of belly-aching. Not all of it, but a good portion, I think.

Now, while it is extremely frustrating that PD isn't saying a word...I find it equally frustrating, perhaps even more frustrating that our Administrator knows something and either can't or just won't tell us. If I were in Famine's shoes, I don't know if I would have said what little he has said. As you can see, it didn't really change the minds of the masses, but now it's actually pissed off this GTP member because I just want to know what the heck the hold up is!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah well...it is what it is.

"Course Creator" was promised before GT6 was launched and if it is not going to be part of a future update, as still mentioned on granturismo.com website, it will be a subject to a second class-action lawsuit. Period. This is not about anger, or development, or PD strategy. It will be pure consequence of GT6 misleading advertisement campaign, which led people into spending their money on something that was not provided by the product manufacturer.

GT6 wouldn't be the only one to have a possible lawsuit because of a failed promise.

Absolutely no one puts into context the other games that have failed to meet their promises.

The course maker will be released when PD says it will. Not a single one soul on this website can change that, and no one gets that. It's not Kaz's fault that it hasn't been released, he doesn't write the code.

Here are three reasons why the can't release the course maker during this month:
•Focusing on GT Academy Finals
•Focusing on Vision GT projects
•Refresh #19

I thought about it today, and I kinda don't really mind if cc is released for gt6, we have enough tracks, and things to do anyways.

**Emphasis above is mine**

Ya know, part of me is feeling this way too. If the course creator had been included from the get-go, I would have loved it. 18 months later, I'm positive that there would be some seriously sick courses created and fine-tuned by members of the community. Granted, I'm picturing in my head a course creator that allows us to share custom courses. But, now that we've reached ~18 months and the only things left to come from PD are the remaining Vision GT cars and this course creator, we've gotta start wondering just exactly how much life will GT6 have (public server wise) once GT7 is launched?

I know absolutely nothing about PD or any other gaming studio, but I have worked as a Programmer/Analyst for CSC. There are always multiple projects going on at once and I guarantee that over in the offices of PD is a fairly big project going on, as we speak, called "Gran Turismo 7". The PS4 has been on the shelves for too damn long now without their Michael Jordan of game titles. Sony wants that project to deliver yesterday. So, if we do get our Course Maker, as Famine has promised us :sly:, I just wonder how long we will have to enjoy it before all the attention is on GT7.

...Hmm. Which game were you working on previously? Kinda curious.

I don't expect to see GT7 in 2017, barring an unexpected delay. I don't know much about software dev scene, but I do know how a corporation thinks, so 2017 is simply too far away in business terms. 2016 sounds spot-on.

Aaaaand I've noticed you have not provided any sources there my man...:mischievous:

I said it's my opinion. Conjecture. I am the source for my opinion.

As for games. I was on this little, unknown title called Battlefield for 5 years. :-) Feel free to google my psn name.

The PS3 launched in 2005, prologue came in 2008, GT5 in 2010. With the PS4 launching in 2013, GT7 has some time still. Remember, it isn't like other games. PD doesn't need to make money on the game to keep the doors open. Part if it's development costs are made up by the royalty Sony earns on all the other games people buy after they get a playstation to play GT.

The early adopters will buy regardless. When those folks are exhausted and it's time to move people from their Ps3`s and XB 360's, then they'll pull the trigger on the next gen.

There is actually more likelihood that we will see one more iteration on PS3 before the GT7 stuff begins (like when they released TT on PS2 a year after PS3 launched)

Which brings me back on topic. As I said, I feel strongly that GT6 was outsourced (at least major parts were). So, course maker won't be outsourced. Maybe it will come with a new version of the game (a 2.0 maybe)... Maybe.

**Emphasis above is mine**

Ya know, part of me is feeling this way too. If the course creator had been included from the get-go, I would have loved it. 18 months later, I'm positive that there would be some seriously sick courses created and fine-tuned by members of the community. Granted, I'm picturing in my head a course creator that allows us to share custom courses. But, now that we've reached ~18 months and the only things left to come from PD are the remaining Vision GT cars and this course creator, we've gotta start wondering just exactly how much life will GT6 have (public server wise) once GT7 is launched?

I know absolutely nothing about PD or any other gaming studio, but I have worked as a Programmer/Analyst for CSC. There are always multiple projects going on at once and I guarantee that over in the offices of PD is a fairly big project going on, as we speak, called "Gran Turismo 7". The PS4 has been on the shelves for too damn long now without their Michael Jordan of game titles. Sony wants that project to deliver yesterday. So, if we do get our Course Maker, as Famine has promised us :sly:, I just wonder how long we will have to enjoy it before all the attention is on GT7.
seeing as how gt5 was shut down about 3 months after gt6 release, I'm guessing gt6 will have a grace period of a month, to really push ps4 and gt7 sales.

I honestly think it's a major failure that they haven't brought this feature out. I honestly couldn't care less what the reasons are. I bought the game (pre ordered no less) mainly because of this promised, amazing, feature, that was hyped up by kaz saying how huge it would be, and how it would be close to ready for launch, which, at least to me, sounded like it would be coming out soon after launch.

Everyone I know that bought it, only did so for the course maker. Because it was believed it wouldn't be much different to GT5 other than that, which it really isn't. I'm not going to moan about the game's shortcomings here, but I will say this: I don't know anyone who will even bother downloading the update when the CM comes out, because none of my friends have played the game for ages, and all have moved on to new systems with better games.

It would have no doubt been a great feature if it was released a year ago. But it's way too late now.

At this point it doesn't matter what lame excuse they have. The mouth piece said it was ready to go, & might even be on the release disc. Either he was full of bull pucky, & had no clue what he was talking about. Option 2, he just is a full fledged bold faced liar. He won't open his mouth to defend his bold blather.
Although as I write this it also smells like the chuckle heads might have stepped into some ones patent mine field. Now if that's the case... They are a part of Sony... Could not happen to a more deserving group...
Should that be the case this thing may never see the light of day. I won't be holding my breath waiting for this to ever ship.

Since you worked for EA, I'm wondering if you can confirm something that a lot of people in this subforum like to act is the case.

Is it true that EA is literally Hitler?

Lol... Not really. They are just VERY corporate.

Funny thing that everyone is all worked up about the GT6 servers going down, but it won't happen until post GT7, so there are a couple years of server time still ahead of us. I haven't heard any credible rumors of GT7 yet. Sony's track record with GT7 has been to provide many years of build up, so even if they show it at E3 this year, it will still most likely be a couple of years away from launch.

Remember, GT7 IS NOT in competition with Pcars or any other racer that exists on a PS4. All Sony wants is to move the PS4. If Pcars or any other game is selling consoles, Sony wins. The business of GT is closely tied to the business of Playstation as a whole.

Last edited:
When GT6 came out, they listed twelve things that would come in future updates. No specific timetable was set, but we now have eleven of those twelve things. Let's put aside the awful concept of marrying someone conditionally on them changing their physical appearance and skip straight to the part where they've done 92% of what they said they do, with that last 8% held up for extremely good reason which, when it's made public, everyone* will entirely understand and sympathise with.

*Not everyone. There'll be a whole slew of grief-vampires who'll harp on about how PD should have foreseen it, but hey, some people just thrive on being miserable
Does this mean that the reason will be made public, or is this more of a hypothetical 'when'

Remember, GT7 IS NOT in competition with Pcars or any other racer that exists on a PS4. All Sony wants is to move the PS4. If Pcars or any other game is selling consoles, Sony wins. The business of GT is closely tied to the business of Playstation as a whole.
If Sony wants to move consoles with GT games why do they wait so long to release a title on a new console? The first full GT title on PS3 was a full 4 years after the launch of the console and GT7 looks to be a full 3 years or more after the launch of the PS4. To me it would have made a lot more sense from Sony's standpoint, to scrap the whole idea of GT6 on the PS3 from the get go, and to have developed GT6 for the PS4 from the start and perhaps have launched it 6-12 months after GT6 actually launched. Surely it's more important to move consoles early in the console's life cycle when gamers have more time to buy other games, rather than later.

That's not say that GT doesn't move consoles, I'm sure it does, but I don't think that's an essential part of it's strategy, otherwise GT6 on PS3 makes no sense at all.

PS4 is moving enough consoles at the moment that I don't think a GT game would actually improve it any.

This has been a very good read , i've read through all 15 pages so far also .

I have a question for @Famine .

Are all staff at GTP privy to the reason or is said reason known by you and you alone ?

It's delayed because of the modeling of pikes peak. 💡
You know what... since I've read a post somewhere on GTP which said that it has already been transformed into track data... that's a very good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back