So, about that course creator.

• Thread starter interpunct
  • 831 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Longtime lurker first time poster, just adding my 2 cents;

The above paragraph I think highlights the frustration with some of the users. That you claim to have a reason for the delay, but "can't share it" seems to be what is irking folks. It comes across as withholding information, which, unless you work for a party involved, shouldn't be a problem. I mean you obviously claim to know something and expect trust without verification in an age of instant gratification. This is not likely, as one of the most basic questions we learn to ask is "why"? In this case, there are plenty of ways to anonymously get the information out there without self-incrimination, so forgive me if I perceive "cannot" to mean "will not", as you actually CAN tell everyone why, but your own personal interests are playing a role in why you WILL NOT Perhaps a term in Congress is in your future.

Honestly I like the game either way, with or without the track creator, and regardless if someone wants to play games with members of the forum by holding onto what they deem classified info. But hey, whatever makes you feel important and special is cool by me.

I believe NDAs might prevent anyone who knows from telling, or perhaps if it's due to legal action, and is currently going through the courts, then they absolutely CAN NOT tell you why. I don't see why it's hard to believe that the admins aren't power hungry puppet masters who love making you dance around wondering why a feature of a game isn't out yet...

But than you'll be attacked and get called a lier for such a sarcastic comment. xD :lol:

I would actually enjoy that... lol

Let's imagine a situation when PD will announce the CM for the next update. (IMAGINE, I'M NOT SAYING THEY WILL!)
Everyone will get hyped . After a month everyone will forget the long wait (just like Siera, are you still mad about it being delayed?).

@Famine I think your fight against speculations and rage is pointless. You fight against humen nature, and you will lose. "My ideas are allways better, my view is allways better, I decide what is a good reason and what isn't"( the IKEA effect). We will keep raging, and when the CM will be relesed, we will forget it.

Last edited:
The above paragraph I think highlights the frustration with some of the users. That you claim to have a reason for the delay, but "can't share it" seems to be what is irking folks. It comes across as withholding information, which, unless you work for a party involved, shouldn't be a problem.

Famine most certainly could reveal the information he was obviously told in confidence. And PD most certainly could choose to simply not tell GTP anything anymore.

Famine most certainly could reveal the information he was obviously told in confidence. And PD most certainly could choose to simply not tell GTP anything anymore.

Even if they tell GTP anything , that doesn't affect me or you , because we still won't know anything other than it was delayed because of a "good reason".

The above paragraph I think highlights the frustration with some of the users. That you claim to have a reason for the delay, but "can't share it" seems to be what is irking folks.
Something always irks some folk. They're welcome to direct their ire at me if they like - for all the good it'll do them.

As for "claim"... Well, I didn't get here, here or here by making things up. I got there by being trustworthy and genuine. If you're not going to trust the people who literally write the site's news blog when it comes to Gran Turismo information, there's not an awful lot of point being on the site (well, in the GT bits at least).

It does seem odd to me that more people want to question what the reason is and why I can't say it than how I know that the Course Maker is still coming for GT6 on PS3 - like I'm trustworthy enough to know that a feature is coming, but not trustworthy enough to say that the reason for the delay is a reasonable one - but I guess some folk have different priorities.
It comes across as withholding information, which, unless you work for a party involved, shouldn't be a problem.
Which depends on what the information is. Again, the fact that neither I nor the site owner (who you can reasonably assume knows as much or more than I do - he has better connections to PD!) are giving the reason while I'm allowed to say that there is one ought to tell you that perhaps there is something you haven't considered about the information.
I mean you obviously claim to know something and expect trust without verification in an age of instant gratification. This is not likely, as one of the most basic questions we learn to ask is "why"?
I expect nothing. However I reiterate that if you're not going to trust the people who literally write the site's news blog when it comes to Gran Turismo information, there's not an awful lot of point coming here for Gran Turismo information.
In this case, there are plenty of ways to anonymously get the information out there without self-incrimination
When information is shared in a small circle, the number of possible sources of a leak is small. When that circle includes people bound by NDAs and people not bound by NDAs, the finger of suspicion would be at the people not bound by NDAs. That's pretty much only GTPlanet.

The first solution to a leak is to lessen the circle - and that'd mean cutting GTP off from future information shares.
so forgive me if I perceive "cannot" to mean "will not", as you actually CAN tell everyone why, but your own personal interests are playing a role in why you WILL NOT.
Perhaps. Perhaps there's something you haven't considered also.
Perhaps a term in Congress is in your future.
That's unlikely as I don't meet residency requirements.
Honestly I like the game either way, with or without the track creator, and regardless if someone wants to play games with members of the forum by holding onto what they deem classified info. But hey, whatever makes you feel important and special is cool by me.
Actually it just makes me feel pity for users who just want to lash out at PD, Sony, GTPlanet, me, Jordan or whomever because they believe themselves to be in possession of all the relevant facts.

Assuming that the site owner is not telling you something you want to know because it makes them feel important and special is not particularly sound given GTP's track record for bringing unreleased information about the game to the site's users. But hey, whatever makes you feel edgy and rebellious is cool by me.

Last edited:
TBO, I could care less about the course maker in GT6. I know PD needs to put it in the game because this was suppose to be a major original feature (if they don't, there could be legal action???). But for me, focus on GT7.

Even if they tell GTP anything , that doesn't affect me or you , because we still won't know anything other than it was delayed because of a "good reason".
No, I think GTP being deliberately cut out of all future information sharing has much bigger consequences than Famine not telling me the specific reason something happened but assuring me that it exists.

No, I think GTP being deliberately cut out of all future information sharing has much bigger consequences than Famine not telling me the specific reason something happened but assuring me that it exists.

But Kaz himself already said this CM was coming , independently of GTP knowing something about it or not.

Of course , it's good that GTP has exclusive information , but if they can't share it (wich i understand) , it's not very beneficial for the "normal" GTP user.

Personally, I think that the lack of feedback to the community is truly terrible. They get people all hyped and angry, when all it would take is some honest dialogue.

I believe that people would be less upset over a comment like "We are making significant changes to the course maker and we are shooting for xx:xx:xx as a ship date". Instead, there is silence and the rumors are everywhere.

I agree that it's unforgivable to expect your paying customer to wait 18 months after the ship of the game for a feature. Especially when it is an improvement on a feature that that shipped 4.5 YEARS ago.

Last edited:
I'm sure many of you have privately reached the conclusion that the course maker isn't coming. At all

PD should just admit they bit off more than they could chew, apologise and then get on with stuff they can do
I'll trade "Course Maker" for a "Custom Event Maker" any day of the week.
We have 1200 cars and a great selection of tracks already.
Let's use this content the way we want, creating our races, choosing AI cars.

About AI let us use the same AI we found in expert seasonal at Tokyo 246.

Personally, I think that the lack of feedback to the community is truly terrible. They all people to all hyped and angry, when all it would take is some honest dialogue.

I believe that people would be less upset over a comment like "We are making significant changes to the course maker and we are shooting for xx:xx:xx as a ship date". Instead, there is silence and thw rumors are everywhere.

I agree that it's unforgivable to expect your paying customer to wait 18 months after the ship of the game for a feature. Especially when it is an improvement on a feature that that shipped 4.5 YEARS ago.

This.

I'm fine with believing that there are legal repurcussions. Think about these two scenarios:

1) Someone sets up a track in GT, gets good at it, then runs it in real life and wrecks. The judge asks what was happening, and the driver replies, "Honestly, I NEVER had that problem in the game!"

Ummmm.... not good....

2) Someone goes to a favorite track, edits it into GT and shares it. The track is out the royalties for having THEIR property in the game, and it doesn't look right because the detail PD puts into getting it right was not done.

Court cases happen and PD goes bankrupt due to losing so much money paying royalties.

Ummm.... not good.....

So, if it comes down to legal stuff, I'm fine with waiting for it to be straightened out.

See, and I would have a complete FIT if that were the case. I have no interest in racing the AI if there isn't some worthwhile prize involved. GT6 has the WORST single player yet IMHO, because the only reason to do it is to gain credits. All other version gave you cars that could not be had any other way, and I call B.S. on hackers being to blame for this. I might as well play B-spec (which I haven't past the day we got it).

Now, if course maker, for some unknown reason, does not allow for track sharing, then it will become the second most pointless feature after B spec.

I'm fine with believing that there are legal repurcussions. Think about these two scenarios:

1) Someone sets up a track in GT, gets good at it, then runs it in real life and wrecks. The judge asks what was happening, and the driver replies, "Honestly, I NEVER had that problem in the game!"

Ummmm.... not good....

Ya, for the moron defendant that thought video game driving would translate to real life. Plus there is a disclaimer at the beginning of the game. It has been there since GT1.

2) Someone goes to a favorite track, edits it into GT and shares it. The track is out the royalties for having THEIR property in the game, and it doesn't look right because the detail PD puts into getting it right was not done.

Court cases happen and PD goes bankrupt due to losing so much money paying royalties.

Ummm.... not good.....

So, if it comes down to legal stuff, I'm fine with waiting for it to be straightened out.

It's a course maker, not a course editor. The courses that are in game (with the possible exception of Sierra) are made in 3DSMAX or Maya, or some other similar 3d package. You, as an end user, can never edit those files.

The course maker strings together separate bits and pieces.

Last edited:

You mean AI that gets a 20/30/40 second start and still loses is good?

Neither a Course maker or a custom event maker will dig this game out of the hole it's in.

This!
The true potential of GT6 is there... A new track (real or created with a CM) will never change anything if the race concept stay the same. Boring and abashed. Just look at the cars randomly chosen for races! This is just my personal opinion.

The Course Maker will come. When? Who knows? Whatever, we all need to keep calm. These discussions about the CM have become invasive and toxic for everyone here.

(sorry for my poor english skills)

See, and I would have a complete FIT if that were the case. I have no interest in racing the AI if there isn't some worthwhile prize involved. GT6 has the WORST single player yet IMHO, because the only reason to do it is to gain credits. All other version gave you cars that could not be had any other way, and I call B.S. on hackers being to blame for this. I might as well play B-spec (which I haven't past the day we got it).

Now, if course maker, for some unknown reason, does not allow for track sharing, then it will become the second most pointless feature after B spec.

Ya, for the moron defendant that thought video game driving would translate to real life. Plus there is a disclaimer at the beginning of the game. It has been there since GT1.

It's a course maker, not a course editor. The courses that are in game (with the possible exception of Sierra) are made in 3DSMAX or Maya, or some other similar 3d package. You, as an end user, can never edit those files.

The course maker strings together separate bits and pieces.

That's true, and fair. I still think that if a real track gets edited into GT there could be SOME kind of problem.... (shrug)

As far as the AI, I think that it is a fair balance for the non-full time players. I cannot win many expert events, and I'm sure that the 50K + that can't get bronze (or choose not to) in the time trial seasonals are just fine with how they are currently.

I also have pCars. Haven't played it enough to get to know the AI and turn them up, but I enjoy smoking them when they are set at 30% ( ;) )

So, an adjustable AI level would answer ALL of the desires posted here and still keep the casual "Who cares" type of players that are the main income for this game.

But, back on topic...... ;)

The course creator IS coming, and it will be good (after THIS long, it had better be! ;) )

When information is shared in a small circle, the number of possible sources of a leak is small. When that circle includes people bound by NDAs and people not bound by NDAs, the finger of suspicion would be at the people not bound by NDAs. That's pretty much only GTPlanet.

The first solution to a leak is to lessen the circle - and that'd mean cutting GTP off from future information shares.

Ummmm.... not good....

Ummm.... not good.....

So for anyone who hasn't really paid a whole lot of attention, the situation on course maker right now is probably so legal that the costs would bankrupt all Course maker supporters. (I COULD BE WRONG SO DON'T TAKE THIS AS GOSPEL)

Should the reason turn out to be legal, as it seems to be right now, there is another factor to consider. Mr. Yamauchi said once or twice in interviews that he really liked the creator in Modnation Racers. I messed around with it again last night, and it is really great save for some things I would like to have but that game is a bit too cartoony for. Consider that it could be so great in PD's eyes that they copied it, via something of a loophole they could have found in that game's copyrighting. San Diego Studio would not have liked that, as you could imagine, and have now taken legal action to either take back what is theirs or get some amount of money for the rights to use the tech PD copied.

I don't believe the first situation TRL suggested is possible for a few reasons. Any average Joe that bought the game and then got the course maker with GPS creator would think hey great, I'm going to do a track day at XXXXXXXX Raceway and get the track then. Of course he's on a track day so he's belting around all the corners, hitting and missing apexes, getting that track. Now he takes it back home, puts it in GT, and starts practicing his heart out. What Joe probably doesn't realize is that he's really not driving XXXXXXXX Raceway, but instead his driving line from that track, which would soften the corners in the game. The only way he would be accurately be driving that track in the game is if he drove right down the centre of the track. What he needed to do was to drive the real track for one lap down the very centre and do his recording. Even then, it's still not going to be exactly accurate to the real thing because of the phone used being in the car and car bodies roll and suspension compresses and extends on hills. So hopefully any sensible judge would realize this and say, no you didn't drive the real track in your game, case dismissed.

You could sort of argue the same thing for the royalties but that is a bit of a grey area because the end user had to use track property to create the track for the game. This could be remedied by PD notifying all tracks that their app is coming out and that they should come to an agreement on whether game end users can record their track or not. That's a lot of work though so PD might not be willing to do that when all they seemed to have meant it for was for public roads or blank fields.

Any way you look at it, NDA's seem to have been signed, but not by one of the privy parties (that's these guys running the show here) and the fact that Mr. Yamauchi would have likely signed one of these agreements and then disclosed to Jordan and Famine, could mean legal repercussions for him and PD if one of the other parties finds the posts of Famine saying he knows.

So @Famine thank you for attempting as much as possible to keep us in the loop without bringing truly explosive attention to PD. When Course Maker comes out hopefully the situation will be explained, but if not at least we'll have Course Maker.

TL DR: Things are probably legal right now between PD and someone else and Famine is doing his best to inform us without tipping off this someone else who could be watching but there are still a great many ungrateful people on the forums berating PD and GTPlanet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back