So is it better to e.g. start 10th and finish 5th or start 6th and finish 5th in terms of DR ?

• Thread starter ollyvass
  • 158 comments
Seems to be top secret since PD doesn’t give us much of a guideline, but in regards to your thread topic, I would assume you would get more progression from starting 10th and overtaking 5 positions to finish 5th, but by how much who knows. You get rewarded for driving well and at good pace of the other drivers. I’ve lost a few spots from my starting position but raced well at good pace and still saw some progression. Overtaking and finishing higher than your starting position helps, but I don’t know how big of a factor it is. Racing well and with good pace of the other participants appears to be the biggest thing, but I’m kind of speculating.

As I have said in this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/dr-rating.370764/#post-12094323

Do not try to artificially raise your DR. In doing so you defy the point of the DR system and how close the races will be that you participate in. It is not a levelling system and the expectation that you should be able to achieve DR:S is ridiculous. If you are DR:C but are having close races with others then it's doing it's job. If you are DR:A, but you are in the bottom half of the pack 90% of the time, then it is not doing it's job.

There are LOADS of people playing GT Sport who are trying to attain DR:S when they are far from the fastest drivers in GT Sport. I am DR:B and happy with it, as I am usually fighting from mid-pack and sometimes win/ podium and sometimes in the bottom half of the pack.

If people continue to try and advance their DR beyond their actual abilities then you are making the system not work - and potentially causing some of the issues that people are having with being paired against insanely fast drivers or insanely slow drivers.

As I have said in this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/dr-rating.370764/#post-12094323

Do not try to artificially raise your DR. In doing so you defy the point of the DR system and how close the races will be that you participate in. It is not a levelling system and the expectation that you should be able to achieve DR:S is ridiculous. If you are DR:C but are having close races with others then it's doing it's job. If you are DR:A, but you are in the bottom half of the pack 90% of the time, then it is not doing it's job.

There are LOADS of people playing GT Sport who are trying to attain DR:S when they are far from the fastest drivers in GT Sport. I am DR:B and happy with it, as I am usually fighting from mid-pack and sometimes win/ podium and sometimes in the bottom half of the pack.

If people continue to try and advance their DR beyond their actual abilities then you are making the system not work - and potentially causing some of the issues that people are having with being paired against insanely fast drivers or insanely slow drivers.

How would you artificially gain your DR? I think most people just race as hard as they can.. sometimes i end up on the podium, sometimes i become 10th, but i always race my balls off... My DR switches between C and B all the time....

If you do not submit a qualifying time then you will start at the back of the pack. If you then proceed through the pack nice and cleanly and finish 3rd, you will gain more of a DR bump than if you started in 5th and finished in 3rd with only 2 overtakes in the race.

It is also speculated that number of clean passes affects your DR rating, so passing 3 cars then letting them pass you and overtaking them again supposedly increases your DR - although this is 100% unconfirmed, just theory.

I actually saw your reply and that's the whole reason why I created this thread to find answers, i'm not really interested in what you think about other players, i'm looking for some information regarding the points system.

So is it better to e.g. start 10th and finish 5th or start 6th and finish 5th in terms of DR ?
No. Nor is it worse.

The game seems to rank you by your DR score (not letter, score, which you can't see in the game) and assign you the door number appropriate to that rank. Finish at or ahead of that, and in the top half of the grid and you'll gain DR. Finish behind it and the bottom half of the grid and you'll lose DR. Do one but not the other and you may gain or lose DR, depending on position and how the two factors are weighted.

Do we actually know that is how it works, are is that just another theory?

EDIT: Genuine question, not a jibe or anything

No. Nor is it worse.

The game seems to rank you by your DR score (not letter, score, which you can't see in the game) and assign you the door number appropriate to that rank. Finish at or ahead of that, and in the top half of the grid and you'll gain DR. Finish behind it and the bottom half of the grid and you'll lose DR. Do one but not the other and you may gain or lose DR, depending on position and how the two factors are weighted.
Oh I always wondered about that significance. Always seemed to finish at the position of the number or one higher or lower.

How would you artificially gain your DR?

in my opinion, racing the meganes have artificially raised DR for a lot of people who should not be that high, I stated this in a different thread but i'll add to this :).

I race as clean as possible, keep mistakes to a minimum, conservatively pass, and I rarely lose positions from start-finish. I stay mid pack and my DR barely moves so I think I am stuck as a 75% B which is totally fine. Basically keep it clean and improve your standings, it will place you where you need to be to have fun but still challenge you, not just handing out wins.

side story: I got gifted the megane the other day and tried it out for 2-3 races finishing top 5, my DR went up significantly, im almost to an A now. I don't like that because now I will have much less of a chance in real races being paired with other high B and low A racers when the cars get more leveled out and I am not that fast. I expect my DR to slowly drop and eventually i'll get back to where I was.

I've find that I've gained DR even if I've finished lower than my starting position.
Yeah on those (that one) very rare occasion(s) where I have qualified on pole and then won a race I've gained loads of DR. I think it's just based on the DR of the people who finished in front of you and behind you. Pretty sure it doesn't care about how you got there wrt overtakes etc.

I'm currently D/S, and I've done about 8-10 races without qualifying time (in order to start at the rear), and I usually raise my position by to the middle of the pack or towards the top driving cleanly and really only taking advantage of other people's mistakes. Yet, I am still DR: D ...

Basically keep it clean and improve your standings, it will place you where you need to be to have fun but still challenge you, not just handing out wins.

But why I am consistently getting matched with A/S and B/S players? While I am stuck at D/S... :(

But why I am consistently getting matched with A/S and B/S players? While I am stuck at D/S... :(

If you've only done 8-10 races, you may need more "time behind the wheel" to gain your DR (although 8-10 races starting at D, you should be at least a high C by now). if you're getting matched with DR.A/B and you're finishing ahead of them, your rank will increase with play time. your DR will increase with time. I wouldn't worry about dr, as long as you're having fun.

Know know? No. But I've been testing on two accounts and the magnitude of DR points increase/decrease tallies exactly with this hypothesis.

c5f7369ca5a1ab939cb703ac63794fbc3c333bdf9ea90bec61487865b553de18.jpg

No. Nor is it worse.

So what does the door number actually mean? I've been trying to work it out, as it doesn't match your grid position, or bear any relationship to other cars around you.

I can also understand the finish comment re a gain of, say 4 places, from your starting position (e.g. started 11th, finished 7th), but what does the comment underneath mean - 'You are now position 4'?

I'm actually starting to wish PD didn't display our ratings and just kept them a secret in the background. That way we would just be racing how we would normally race and being matched with the right people.
I'm getting a bit fed up of people trying to "game" the ratings. Just be where you should be and drive how you want to drive. The system will put you where you should be.

No. Nor is it worse.

This is pretty much what happens with my DR and how I explained it in another thread.

As Famine has said, It would make sense if the door number was your expected finish position based on who's in the race. Your practice time is your grid slot and the door number might indicate that you are a higher DR than people who qualified better than you for that one race. It would be a good way of telling that not all DR:A (for example) on the grid are equal.

But why I am consistently getting matched with A/S and B/S players? While I am stuck at D/
It seems like matchmaking is primarily based on SR, which makes sense. Reward clean drivers by matching them to other clean drivers.
I've yet to see a race where there wasn't a 10+ second spread in qualifying times so I don't think DR really plays a very significant role.

Room strength is the biggest factor, it must sort of multiply your score. In one instance I've had a door number of 2 and started 7th behind at least 4 of the top ten and went on to finish one place ahead of that and it's gone up. My driver rating is higher than a lot of quicker drivers, as I must have raced more than them and acquired more points, therefor I have had a lower door number than them a lot of times, usually I don't beat them but still driver rating can go up and I've now got to an S rating.

If you are racing the top guys your driver rating does not go down even finishing mid pack, even if you have a low number (like 2 or 3) on your car, in fact it even goes up sometimes. The only way I've seen it drop is by finishing way down the order after starting near the front, like when I got knocked off in a 3 lap race.

Interesting comment about people in meganes artificially gaining DR bar progress, the same must go the other way.. ie refusing to drive a megane and getting beat by lower DR bar drivers has artificially lowered my DR bar...

After getting beat by meganes for a few days, I finally got thrown a bone by the game - suzuka in 991 today hurray, 3 poles, 3 fastest laps, 3 wins!
those F1 trophies now seem possible, or seemed possible, coz I started getting matched with DR:A and DR:S again, they had a 1 second quicker pole.
Was nicer on my heart rate running mid pack though, rather than wishing the laps away holding onto the lead.

My DR progress bar is now almost A, so I might compete against the meganes again - if just to be thrown another bone later in the week.

I expect if I was to just stick to Suzuka and Nurb GP, I could be into the DR:A within a day.

I've seen it mentioned in other threads that your DR goes down if you're not playing regularly too. Can anyone confirm this? I only get to play maybe once a week (wife/kids/work etc), so if it's true, I'll never get out of D rating.

I miss being in B/S. Had some great races and the majority of my wins. Now I often feel like I'm a mobile obstacle for the fast guys to try to navigate around. Maybe I should put the Gr.4 FF cars away and get myself back down to B. Will most likely get less points in the FIA races though. Only down side.

Back