So is it better to e.g. start 10th and finish 5th or start 6th and finish 5th in terms of DR ?

• Thread starter ollyvass
  • 158 comments
Thank you. Two people have answered what was an obvious question.

Thank you. You have answered my point. It was obvious I was not asking what a number on a door is.
So when you said this:
Sorry for being thick, but what's the door number?
What you actually meant was "what does the door number signify?"?

I covered that in post #7 of this thread:

The game seems to rank you by your DR score (not letter, score, which you can't see in the game) and assign you the door number appropriate to that rank. Finish at or ahead of that, and in the top half of the grid and you'll gain DR. Finish behind it and the bottom half of the grid and you'll lose DR. Do one but not the other and you may gain or lose DR, depending on position and how the two factors are weighted.

I honestly don’t think it works like that completely. It has much to do with the DR of the field you’re racing against. The higher the field the more DR you get for performing well. Much like how points in FIA work.

I honestly don’t think it works like that completely. It has much to do with the DR of the field you’re racing against. The higher the field the more DR you get for performing well. Much like how points in FIA work.
And when people score minus points?

I think @Famine is very close to right with the first post about how it works. I did a big grind to S last week (Seems a bit silly of me now as I'm well into it with the change and increase of rating that I've received), because not a huge amount of people race Sport only a small amount of A (mostly B's) did so you could gain DR but only a little. Even if you were ranked 1 in that race if you came 2nd/3rd generally you'd get a little. A Bad race and you lost a lot, like 3 races worth. If you're ranked high in the lobby it expects you to finish high!

It also means now I actually can't do some sport races in fear of losing so much DR for any bad race (Usually someone smashing into you) as I want as many points as I can in Nations.

Anyone who has played iRacing will have a pretty good idea as it works mostly the same way i believe.

20 people join a race. All their driver rank numbers (yes in fact it is a number not a letter) gets thrown on a pile. This pile divided by all 20 drivers represents the lobby strength. All drivers get a calculated finish position based on their rank in the lobby. This calculated finish position vs where u actually finish and the avarage lobby strength vs your own rank determines how much DR you gain or lose.

I dont know the exact maths behind it but i am pretty sure this is how it works.

And in fact we are already capable of figuring out our DR and SR numbers thanks to @Milouse as you can read in this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-rank-feedback-requests-updates.362085/page-2

My numbers are DR:47467 | SR:99/99 | Races:86

My DR letter is A and about 80% progress. SR is S.

Also in earlier versions i am pretty sure when you entered a lobby you would be positioned on your calculated position in the lobby for a brief moment before it switched to you qualified position. But they have removed this from the game for some reason.

Last edited:
Bit miffed to have finished 4th (having started 5th) just now with door number 12 and only got maybe one tiny pixel of DR gain :lol: I'm B, the three ahead were A, I beat one A + many Bs + a C. Obviously, without using Milouse's magic script, I've no idea how far up B they all were, but IF I was expected to finish 12th then I'd guess a bunch were higher than my 75%-ish. It was a pretty tight race.

Also in earlier versions i am pretty sure when you entered a lobby you would be positioned on your calculated position in the lobby for a brief moment before it switched to you qualified position. But they have removed this from the game for some reason.

Looked through some old screenshots, a few were in DR order but no particular order in most of them...

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20171018222212.jpg

I think @Famine is very close to right with the first post about how it works. I did a big grind to S last week (Seems a bit silly of me now as I'm well into it with the change and increase of rating that I've received), because not a huge amount of people race Sport only a small amount of A (mostly B's) did so you could gain DR but only a little. Even if you were ranked 1 in that race if you came 2nd/3rd generally you'd get a little. A Bad race and you lost a lot, like 3 races worth. If you're ranked high in the lobby it expects you to finish high!

It also means now I actually can't do some sport races in fear of losing so much DR for any bad race (Usually someone smashing into you) as I want as many points as I can in Nations.
Don't sweat it. Just play the game. Rank doesn't matter. Seriously, it doesn't.
You don't wanna be ranked to high as your opponents will be that much harder. Just race, do your best and enjoy the game.
No fear!

Don't sweat it. Just play the game. Rank doesn't matter. Seriously, it doesn't.
You don't wanna be ranked to high as your opponents will be that much harder. Just race, do your best and enjoy the game.
No fear!

Rank matters in terms of points and I want to make the Nations Cup finals in the official season :), so it means the highest rank possible to have the best chance at the most points possible :)!

I don't think it's as complicated as people think. It's PD we are talking about here.

It also won't be beautifully simple, as we all know.

Rank matters in terms of points and I want to make the Nations Cup finals in the official season :), so it means the highest rank possible to have the best chance at the most points possible :)!
:) In your case rank seem to matter a little bit lol
Gl!

For whats its worth: Pretend you set up a private room and let people join. As they begin to join, each place 1-(how many you allow to join) start filling in, that is the door # on your car. If you are the first to join #1 is on your car...etc... same applies to sport mode races. Don't think door # is relevant.

Don't think door # is relevant.
Every sport mode race I've participated in with a DR D (1pt), SR E (1pt) driver has had him assigned the highest door number available in the field, from 8-12.

The only time he's not had the highest door number available in the field was when the game promoted him to D (because it seems you can only spend 5 races at E) and gave him 2,000 driver points. In that lobby, he wore number 4. I soon tanked him back to 1pt and he was back at 8-12.

Every sport mode race I've participated in with a DR D (1pt), SR E (1pt) driver has had him assigned the highest door number available in the field, from 8-12.

The only time he's not had the highest door number available in the field was when the game promoted him to D (because it seems you can only spend 5 races at E) and gave him 2,000 driver points. In that lobby, he wore number 4. I soon tanked him back to 1pt and he was back at 8-12.

Fair enough, just a theory I had.

Bit miffed to have finished 4th (having started 5th) just now with door number 12 and only got maybe one tiny pixel of DR gain :lol: I'm B, the three ahead were A, I beat one A + many Bs + a C. Obviously, without using Milouse's magic script, I've no idea how far up B they all were, but IF I was expected to finish 12th then I'd guess a bunch were higher than my 75%-ish. It was a pretty tight race.

Looked through some old screenshots, a few were in DR order but no particular order in most of them...

View attachment 698016
Hmm you might be right or the SR rating is also taken in to account in some weird way. Either way i am still pretty sure about how DR is gained or losed.

Just my thoughts on "door number" I think it when you join the race this morning I logged in and race to entry was 1 min left (I try to do a qualifying lap but no time). My start and door number was 15 out of 15 2 other cars didn't have a lap time either. Could try testing this trying to join race as soon as entry time shows up as to waiting until each min to see if door number is affected.

Hmm you might be right or the SR rating is also taken in to account in some weird way. Either way i am still pretty sure about how DR is gained or losed.

Yeah, the DR seems to be something like that. I'd hope that a B beating an A or S would count for more than beating another B, but I've no idea if it does.

Just my thoughts on "door number" I think it when you join the race this morning I logged in and race to entry was 1 min left (I try to do a qualifying lap but no time). My start and door number was 15 out of 15 2 other cars didn't have a lap time either. Could try testing this trying to join race as soon as entry time shows up as to waiting until each min to see if door number is affected.

So what does the door number actually mean? I've been trying to work it out, as it doesn't match your grid position, or bear any relationship to other cars around you.

Your door number is your entry into the list when you join the session. So, if you were first on the server, you are #1, second is #2, etc. That it ranks you is purely coincidental. I have been numbered above and below drivers with DR that should have given them a higher/lower number.

I can also understand the finish comment re a gain of, say 4 places, from your starting position (e.g. started 11th, finished 7th), but what does the comment underneath mean - 'You are now position 4'?

That is a bug. I think it was meant to say that you raised X amount of positions and now you are at the finishing position. So, you start 10th, pass 3 people, it SHOULD say that your position is now 7, but it's broken.

I had a bunch of races last with a good mix of DR ratings (A/S down to D), and it was pretty clear that my door number wasn't where any sane algorithm would expect me to finish - e.g. door number 12 out of 15 when over half the field is DR C or less, vs my high DR B, when even placing me as the lowest B would've made me door 5 or 6. SR was all S, so shouldn't have been making much difference. Even one of those would be enough to disprove the hypothesis, but this was the case in almost all of 10 or so races - I think the lowest number I wore in any of them was 6.

I'm suspecting that the door number is related to (or is) whatever order used to be shown in those mixed up grid displays. They did tend to lump DR D at the end and be more random further up the grid, but sometimes would drop an A or B down amongst the Ds.

So I'm wondering if it is based on previous finish position, or a rolling average of them. Obviously then there could be clashes, which would move your door number up or down, sometimes by quite a lot. But then Famine's 1pt driver (presumably always finishes last?) had door number 4 after being boosted up to D... which this hypothesis, as it stands, probably doesn't cover.

I still think it is just the order where you are brought into lobby from the "waiting to enter" list. In the daily races each time slot will have multiple lobbies filling at the same time and whether you enter at the start or the end of the 20 cars chosen for that lobby assigns the number.

I have looked at my number, the opposition and my assigned q position and in no way does that number seem to correspond to starting, finishing or ranking with competition in the lobby. Many times I would have to lose or gain 14 positions from start position for my finish position to match my door number and that does not seem logical.

I still say the number is assigned to the entry order to the lobby. The servers fill multiple lobbies at the same time could just be assigning number 1-20 and after it hits 20 it starts over with the next lobby.

I do think the quicker you sign up when race entry opens the better and closer it seems the match's within the lobby are. If I sign up early it seems that the DR ranks are more closely matched. Last second entries seem to give the widest variances.

I still say the number is assigned to the entry order to the lobby. The servers fill multiple lobbies at the same time could just be assigning number 1-20 and after it hits 20 it starts over with the next lobby.

Well, behind that is the match-making algorithm and whatever it uses to make its decisions. So it would be more accurate to say it could be the order that the match-making outputs the list for each race - which could well exhibit some of the patterns we see.

I do think the quicker you sign up when race entry opens the better and closer it seems the match's within the lobby are. If I sign up early it seems that the DR ranks are more closely matched. Last second entries seem to give the widest variances.

I haven't seen that, and it doesn't make a lot of sense considering the match-making doesn't start until all entries are in - I mean, it may happen due to some quirk of how PD's algorithms work, but it still doesn't make sense :)

Starting at the back and gaining a lot of places brings less DR then starting 4th and finishing 4th, but then brings a lot more fun. So it is up to what you want from a race. Generally I could't care less for DR, SR however is what I care for.
Ps starting up front allows for higher overall pace and faster laps.

I haven't seen that, and it doesn't make a lot of sense considering the match-making doesn't start until all entries are in - I mean, it may happen due to some quirk of how PD's algorithms work, but it still doesn't make sense :)

Just like everybody else it is just guesswork as no one actually has the formula if any that is being used. If for instance as the matchmaking is being made then as the orders of first SR, then DR and finally lap times begin to be sorted if that sorting to different list and for matchmaking purposes is done by order of entry then it could be very possible lobbies that have the first initial matching completed could be closer matched lobbies.

Lets say that the matching has first separated all SR S drivers, then divided them again into all DR A drivers, then take and divide from the highest to the lowest lap times. If you have 21 drivers with the exact same lap times and the list was sorted by order of the entry for that information then the top 20 will be selected for the first lobby to be filled and be a perfectly matched lobby.

Then each successive lower lobby filled could conceivably have a little wider gap in DR rankings and lap times depending on what was left on the selection list.

May make more sense as to why you at times see a lobby with a 30 second time difference from 1st to last.
Not saying it is this way but it could be as easily as any other method suggested.

Just like everybody else it is just guesswork as no one actually has the formula if any that is being used. If for instance as the matchmaking is being made then as the orders of first SR, then DR and finally lap times begin to be sorted if that sorting to different list and for matchmaking purposes is done by order of entry then it could be very possible lobbies that have the first initial matching completed could be closer matched lobbies.

Lets say that the matching has first separated all SR S drivers, then divided them again into all DR A drivers, then take and divide from the highest to the lowest lap times. If you have 21 drivers with the exact same lap times and the list was sorted by order of the entry for that information then the top 20 will be selected for the first lobby to be filled and be a perfectly matched lobby.

Then each successive lower lobby filled could conceivably have a little wider gap in DR rankings and lap times depending on what was left on the selection list.

May make more sense as to why you at times see a lobby with a 30 second time difference from 1st to last.
Not saying it is this way but it could be as easily as any other method suggested.

Of course it's all guesswork, and most hypothesis will fail when we spot something or other that contradicts :) Matchmaking is particularly mysterious, since we each only get to see one race worth of what it does each time. To me, it seems like it deliberately does different styles of matchmaking, somewhat randomly although probably based on some statistic or other, like when it drops me down to be the rabbit for a bunch of Cs and Ds. There may be some correlation with entry time that I haven't noticed yet, so I'll try and watch it. But I think that if what you're saying is true, and if my entry times have been reasonably distributed across early and late (probably have), then I would have seen a lot more races with all B drivers than I have (which is only one or two out of 100+ as a B). It's typical selection for me recently has been an S, a few As, mostly Bs, usually a couple of Cs, and sometimes Ds (for DR, with SR virtually all S).

I think I figured out door numbers.
I believe the game is sorting the DR values as text and not as numerical data. Assuming the following:
E = <0
D = 0-4999
C = 5000-9999
B = 10000-29999
A = 30000-49999
S = 50000-75000

D drivers could have any digit in the first position, so if a D driver with 900 DR points is in the field, he gets door number 1 over a 75k maxed out S driver because "9" comes after "7".

C drivers could have 5 through 9 in the first position, so they can receive higher or lower numbers than S drivers, but always lower numbers than A and B drivers.

S, A, and B all work the way they are supposed to work.

These assumptions held true for the 5 races that I looked at last night.

Last edited:
Back