So is it better to e.g. start 10th and finish 5th or start 6th and finish 5th in terms of DR ?

• Thread starter ollyvass
  • 158 comments
I've seen it mentioned in other threads that your DR goes down if you're not playing regularly too. Can anyone confirm this? I only get to play maybe once a week (wife/kids/work etc), so if it's true, I'll never get out of D rating.
I only do one or two races per week and am at high DR B. I don't think I've ever seen it drop. I only have 15-20 races total so I don't think that's the case.

Interesting comment about people in meganes artificially gaining DR bar progress, the same must go the other way.. ie refusing to drive a megane and getting beat by lower DR bar drivers has artificially lowered my DR bar...

After getting beat by meganes for a few days, I finally got thrown a bone by the game - suzuka in 991 today hurray, 3 poles, 3 fastest laps, 3 wins!
those F1 trophies now seem possible, or seemed possible, coz I started getting matched with DR:A and DR:S again, they had a 1 second quicker pole.
Was nicer on my heart rate running mid pack though, rather than wishing the laps away holding onto the lead.

My DR progress bar is now almost A, so I might compete against the meganes again - if just to be thrown another bone later in the week.

I expect if I was to just stick to Suzuka and Nurb GP, I could be into the DR:A within a day.

Racing tracks you're good at will definitely help.
I notice that I drive Dragon Trail, Interlagos, Maggiorre and now Bathurst better than most tracks.
I'm not too great at Nurb, Brands Hatch GP, Kyoto Driving park etc - so I tend to avoid those races.

This has maybe "artificially" pushed my rating higher than it should be, but who cares.

I guess that as others have mentioned - there is a probably a hidden DR score number for all the GT Sport players, which are then divided in to DR boxes.
If you haven't played sport races for a while and many people have progressed past you, then would be pushed down in to a lower DR... that would make sense. But it wouldn't make sense for a hidden score to be infinite.
I hadn't played sport mode for a few days and didn't notice any drop of my DR progress bar.

It would be best if you chose to play when its a track/car combination you are most comfortable with, have your wife and kids live around GTS Dailies schedule lol

c5f7369ca5a1ab939cb703ac63794fbc3c333bdf9ea90bec61487865b553de18.jpg

200.gif

Nice research, thanks for this testing :bowdown:
It gets weirder - so far every time I've had the "Position Raised!" message after the race, it's been my door number minus my finish position. For instance I just finished a race with car #11 in 8th, and got a "Position Raised! +3; Position is now 3, Great race!" message.

So that means your door number matched your grid slot.
That's the thing though... it didn't. I started the race 10th.

I've also had a position raised note for starting and finishing 8th... with 9 on the door.

My Dr is mid B & Sr is S. I have only 3 wins in about 150 races but mostly finish races in the top5 or midpack. I think dr is dependant of the sr. Cause you will never see a player with DR A et Sr D. but you can see DR.D and SR A racers.

. I think dr is dependant of the sr.
It is and it isn't.

There is no direct relation between them. However, SR can have a gating effect and limit you from advancing in DR unless SR is also high enough (how high? Don't know. But I'll certainly test it to find out).

But then that information is on the Sport Mode tips screen...

It is and it isn't.

There is no direct relation between them. However, SR can have a gating effect and limit you from advancing in DR unless SR is also high enough (how high? Don't know. But I'll certainly test it to find out).

It is dependant. I have never seen a racer with a Dr rating higher than two grades or more compared to the SR(EX DR : A Sr : C or DR : B SR D ) but there is a bunch of racers with a Dr rating lower than two grades or more compared to the SR (EX : DR: D SR :A or DR: B SR: S)

Definition of dependant : conditioned or determined by something else

I have never seen a racer with a Dr rating higher than two grades or more compared to the SR(EX DR : A Sr : C or DR : B SR D )
I have - a DR B with SR E.

SR only seems to affect how much you can level up DR. There doesn't seem to be any problem lowering SR once you've already leveled up DR. As I said, it seems to have a gating effect, rather than any direct dependence.

I have - a DR B with SR E.

SR only seems to affect how much you can level up DR. There doesn't seem to be any problem lowering SR once you've already leveled up DR. As I said, it seems to have a gating effect, rather than any direct dependence.

Because you intentionally did that for "Research purpose" https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/pole-position-trophy.370795/
Any normal racer doesnt get thoses type of rating. You are pushing the limits of the rating system you arent a normal data in the system like the rest of us.

Because you intentionally did that for "Research purpose"
Nope. My SR E driver is DR D (he would be DR E, but apparently the game won't let you be an E rated driver after five races, even though he has the same score as one), and has never been above DR D, in his twelve races.

This was another player.

Any normal racer doesnt get thoses type of rating. You are pushing the limits of the rating system you arent a normal data in the system like the rest of us.
Even if it wasn't a "normal racer" (and it was), that fact that it's possible to have an SR rating three or four steps down from the DR rating shows that there isn't a hard limit of DR two ranks above SR, or a direct relationship between the DR score (which peaked at 2,000, when the game promoted him to DR D for no reason after five races) and the SR score (which peaked at 50, when the game started).

It seems to be the case that you can't go up too far in DR with a low SR, but there's nothing to stop you going down SR once DR is established - DR doesn't come back down with it. Hence why I said it seems to be a gating mechanism - you can't pass through the gate until certain conditions are met, but you won't pass backwards through the gate afterwards.

Last edited:
It's just a shame that qualifying seems to be a large decider in moving up through the DR ranks. I'm appaling at qualifying but I move at least 4 positions up on the grid during actual racing...I'll just have to improve my solo pace if I want to get a higher rank I guess!

That's the thing though... it didn't. I started the race 10th.

I've also had a position raised note for starting and finishing 8th... with 9 on the door.

Is it possible that you qualified 11th and then sometime after, like during the warm up someone left/got kicked because the game will still count that as a position gained even though it actually wasn't. I know this has happened to me.

In my case I qualified 5th but then started 4th, as someone must have lost connection before the race started, I then finished 4th and got the position raised 1 message. Door number doesn't come in to it, I'm often a lower number than where I finish.

No. Nor is it worse.

The game seems to rank you by your DR score (not letter, score, which you can't see in the game) and assign you the door number appropriate to that rank. Finish at or ahead of that, and in the top half of the grid and you'll gain DR. Finish behind it and the bottom half of the grid and you'll lose DR. Do one but not the other and you may gain or lose DR, depending on position and how the two factors are weighted.

I started in 5th yesterday and my door number was 2... why on earth would my DR drop if I don’t overtake 3 players?

Is it possible that you qualified 11th and then sometime after like during the warm up someone left/got kicked
Nope. I've certainly had a 12 door number in a race where I finished 9th and last due to pre-race dropouts and DNFs, but on this occasion there were eleven drivers in matchmaking and my 1 and 1 driver was last of them. I gained the positions through DNFs.

I'm recording everything with as few variables as possible. This includes original lobby numbers.

However, on one of the five occasions I've seen the Position Raised message, it has not related to the door number.

Sorry for being thick, but what's the door number?
The number on your car's door.
I started in 5th yesterday and my door number was 2... why on earth would my DR drop if I don’t overtake 3 players?
It wouldn't necessarily. You'd not gain as much unless you did, but 5th should gain you DR. I don't know how the game weights position and expected position though. Yet.

Sorry for being thick, but what's the door number?

The number the game puts on your car in sport mode races, it's also on the bonnet.

The drivers are numbered based on driver rating, highest one gets number 1 and 2 to the next highest and so on.

From the data gathered from your sony account it puts your house door number on the car door 8-| < that was supposed to be funny 8-)

The 'door number' is your race livery car number (driver number), its on the doors and bonnet of your car. If you notice when you join a sport race, it replaces your chosen driver number with a driver number that the game has issued you for that race. If you drive in invisible car view, or drive cars without race numbers on the livery, then you may not even have noticed that number on your own car.

Know know? No. But I've been testing on two accounts and the magnitude of DR points increase/decrease tallies exactly with this hypothesis.

That's some mighty fine work you've done there...

After reviewing all of the rest of the posts, basically its fried my brain and I've concluded whoever has any handle on roughly how this all works is a certified genius or a wizard.

I'm actually starting to wish PD didn't display our ratings and just kept them a secret in the background. That way we would just be racing how we would normally race and being matched with the right people.
I'm getting a bit fed up of people trying to "game" the ratings. Just be where you should be and drive how you want to drive. The system will put you where you should be.

That's probably why PD don't tell us exactly how it works, otherwise people would game the system.

The 'door number' is your race livery car number (driver number), its on the doors and bonnet of your car. If you notice when you join a sport race, it replaces your chosen driver number with a driver number that the game has issued you for that race. If you drive in invisible car view, or drive cars without race numbers on the livery, then you may not even have noticed that number on your own car.

Thank you. Two people have answered what was an obvious question.

The drivers are numbered based on driver rating, highest one gets number 1 and 2 to the next highest and so on.

Thank you. You have answered my point. It was obvious I was not asking what a number on a door is.

Last edited by a moderator:
It gets weirder - so far every time I've had the "Position Raised!" message after the race, it's been my door number minus my finish position. For instance I just finished a race with car #11 in 8th, and got a "Position Raised! +3; Position is now 3, Great race!" message.
I didn't realize about the number plates, it makes sense. I had hoped the DR system would be similar to the USACycling ranking system. It looks like they work very similarly. At least similarly to the old system - USAC revamped it recently and I haven't looked at it too closely. It looks more at how you perform vs. your peers given their rank, and less at how many races you complete, though that still factors in.

I did feel my progression was a bit slow though. I was a D after 9 races, and only a few were duds. Lots of good finishes and wins over A's. I'm now half way (maybe?) to B after the update and my 10th race. Yes, only 10 Sport races so far, and I started playing at launch. :indiff: This is why I had hoped for a ranking system that prioritized quality over quantity :lol:

At the same time, I've never had a race where I felt I was a total sandbagger, not even at the wee beginning. There will probably always be a significant population of people playing who are working their way through the ranks to cause this. At least while PD is actively updating the game. Every new update will bring a few new players and a bunch of transients like me back to fill the grids with under-rated drivers. :sly: The fewer of those guys there are, though, the less confused the DR system will be.

Back