So now we can "bribe our way to victory"? (PRICES REVEALED, SEE OP)

  • Thread starter Thread starter tankuroded
  • 1,142 comments
  • 69,857 views
That's what I dislike about games nowadays. The biggest wallets get can buy their way to victory... What about skill, time and effort?
 
So close to being right. Had they not charged you for something that they could give you for free very easily, this would have been one of the best additions to GT.

Being able to get around the unlocking nonsense is great, but I don't think anyone should pay for a fix to boring game design that the devs purposely added in the first place.

That's what I dislike about games nowadays. The biggest wallets get can buy their way to victory... What about skill, time and effort?

Nothing has changed really. GT5 let you win without even playing. Having to pay for things with real money could be considered a step up in difficulty.

Besides, this only gets you cars. It doesn't win you races.
 
That's what I dislike about games nowadays. The biggest wallets get can buy their way to victory... What about skill, time and effort?
How do you buy your way to victory? We all have access to the same cars whether I pay for mine or you play for yours. I might get mine before you but that's only a temporary advantage.
 
If there are no incentives (nerfed career mode and seasonal events) and is purely optional, I see no issues. But as GTA$ proved my fears right, I'm currently not even remotely hopeful for the state of the career mode.

They are just following the current trend man...business is business
Old man trying to be hip?
 
You know what? I'm not going to bother guys. I'll just take out a chair, grab some fresh popcorn and just enjoy reading the whining over this ONE little thing, because to me it's laughable. Care to join?

"Oh no, PD is following the path as EA!? Pre-order cancelled"... :lol:

Popcorn is overrated. Sunflower seeds are better.
 
So close to being right. Had they not charged you for something that they could give you for free very easily, this would have been one of the best additions to GT.
.
Sorry, I'm confused by this. Are you saying that they should just give people credits for free whenever they desire?
I know that's not right but the wording is throwing me off.
 
The only real legitimate concern I see here that few have mentioned, is if PD changed the payouts in the Seasonals and TT's, the only big money payouts. A/BSpec already had crap payouts for the most part. If they torpedo'd the Seasonals I'd say we all have a legitimate concern that they rearranged the economy of the game for the sole reason of encouraging buying credits online. If they leave everything as it is now in GT5, and add this option, I do not see an issue with it.

Exactly. At the moment, we still don't even know the core game works apart from the XP system being nuked (which was sorely needed) and the addition of stars to the license system.

I think it was Sony's idea to put in microstations.
This is exactly what I've been thinking the past few minutes. This just seems like Sony is really trying to milk the hell out of GT6.
 
It's a good idea, but still frustrating.

I simply don't care to invest the time to drive cars I've already paid for. Why should I buy a game with hundreds of cars and dozens of tracks to be told I have to invest my time as well? I already invested my time when I earnt the money to buy the game!

So, it's an improvement, but only because of the poor position it was in previous.
 
Like it or not, its a sign of PD "moving with the times", something people here have been endlessly criticizing them for not doing.
As i aluded to in an earlier post its funny how they've got with the times but only on the financial side and not the side that interests us, I mean personally im not sure why i should have to unlock all the same cars again that i unlocked in gt5, It all comes back down to career mode really
It's a shame people will defend a series so much even when it royally messes up.

Wonder how people would react if it was the dark side that had these micro-transactions.
You can guarentee in the run up to GT7 when pd anounced day 1 DLC and theres a thread made about it you will have loads of posters who thought it was disgusting practice suddenly finding that its a good idea and backing PD, Its as if pd is everyones sister and you must show undying loyalty no matter what
 
I remember putting on the crystal method cd and grinding for hours trying to get the Toyota GT-one and escudo, and sadly those days are behind me.

Vegas by any chance?
 
@lancia delta hf (second most recent post by that user) Exactly.

Recently, I've been playing through Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3. Money is notoriously tight in that game - but not in the "endlessly repeating actions to get enough" way. Instead, the game rewards smart financial planning - if you upgrade only the cars you need, use the sizeable boss-defeat bonuses for cars you need instead of wasting them on pointless cars you bought just because you liked them, and sell cars you don't need, then you'll have enough to fulfill every wanderer requirement except Whirlwind Fanfare (currency conversion fail, requires more money than the US version allows you to hold, cheat device mandatory) and Exotic Butterfly (money requirement high but possible, suspect another currency fail), even if you go in strict sequential order, conquering each city before moving on to the next, in the second phase of the game.

GT5 was the other way. Instead of rewarding objective-focused decisions and allowing you to have a little fun on the side, it forces you to repeat repetetive repetitions for either one. I don't see the use of real money to buy credits making this any better.
 
I simply don't care to invest the time to drive cars I've already paid for. Why should I buy a game with hundreds of cars and dozens of tracks to be told I have to invest my time as well? I already invested my time when I earnt the money to buy the game!
Because you know, it's a videogame and all.
 
The way I see it, you can buy all the cars you want with real money, but if you can't drive them you ain't getting nowhere.
In terms of PD 'screwing the customer', I see where this point comes from but it doesn't really wash in my opinion. Personally, I don't care. I didn't care when Rockstar did it and I don't care now. It's not like we're being forced into purchasing credits, after all this isn't a 'freemium' mobile game we're talking about, and while you could say that the ones who don't buy their way to what they want would be at a disadvantage I don't think that's the case either. Money was easily made in GT5 (to the point where too much was made, *cough* remove the credit cap PD *cough*) and if the car prices are staying mostly the same I don't see why earning money would change either.
 
Yes most games have an element of working to progress but thats not the same as having to do the same thing over and over because someone couldnt be bothered to structure a single player mode properly

How is the structure relevant? The main thing is that you need money, you don't have any. Are you going spend an hour doing races or are you going to spend a dollar buying the credits in the PS Store?

Also i really dont see what your movie ticket prices have to do with games,

Funny, because it was your argument who claimed that there was relevance between them. Remember this?

Movie efeects get more and more complex too so should the retail price of blurays go up too?

You are paying for a service which obviously goes up with inflation so they can pay staff, Once a game has been made it doesnt require staff to load the game into your console for you and usher you to your gaming chair, I see no reason why games should cost more than what they do today which is already high

The staff doesn't stop working when the game has been shipped, just as the McDonald's staff doesn't stop working once your hamburger has been delivered. To run a business comes with expenses.
 
I think too much of a big deal is being made out of this. If you wanna buy in game credits for whatever reason go ahead and buy them. If you don't then go and achieve them in game the way you always have. It all comes down to individual preference.
 
I find the reactions in this thread really funny.

I can get why people would get angry if these micro-transactions magically gave a quantifiable in-game performance advantage, but for Ayrton Senna's sake, it's in-game credits! Which means whatever the derp buys with that, you can too (if you had the credits to afford whatever the derp was buying, at least).

This isn't like Victory: The Age of Racing where you could purchase (albeit temporary) performance gains for real money or a ridiculously high in-game currency amount. That is REAL Pay-to-Win.
 
I remember when I was playing Burnout Paradise there was DLC where you can get everything in the game for five bucks. I didn't care back then but I care now. Wow, I'm such an idiot.
 
Sorry, I'm confused by this. Are you saying that they should just give people credits for free whenever they desire?
I know that's not right but the wording is throwing me off.
Actually I am. It should be up to the player to decide how they want to play. I'm not a car collector, I race. GT5 became exponentially more fun once I was able to ignore credits and A-Spec completely. I had all the cars I wanted and simply raced them online.

My preferred games are high end simulators. They don't usually have any form of progression at all. To each their own, some like collecting, some don't. Console devs seem to ignore the latter unless they feel like charging for it.
 
So close to being right. Had they not charged you for something that they could give you for free very easily, this would have been one of the best additions to GT.

Being able to get around the unlocking nonsense is great, but I don't think anyone should pay for a fix to boring game design that the devs purposely added in the first place.

To add to potential A-Spec woes, I can't see Arcade Mode having a large selection of cars in GT6 (let alone all of them unlocked as I was hoping for), which could be cause for concern.

That's the problem with this strategy - every decision Polyphony now makes with regards to the GT6 "economy" will raise the inevitable "are they doing this to inflate micro transaction purchases?" question.
 
I honestly cannot believe the reaction to this. Something that you are completely free to ignore, something that in no way, shape or form affects the the actual game and people are acting like it is the end of the world. Wouldn't it be extremely easy to, you know, just not purchase the credits if you don't want to.

Here is a great example of someone not able to go behind the paint.
 
Doesn't matter to me one way or the other, Forza 4 had something similar where you could purchase tickets with real money and redeem them for cars in game.I think NFS does as well. So it is nothing new really.

Personally I would prefer to play the game and earn the credits in game to buy the cars I want or win them as prizes but for those who want to purchase them with real cash so be it.

As for people with money getting higher priced cars to drive online there are simple ways around that, You just set the room up with restrictions so that only certain types of cars or performance level are allowed.

No big deal for most of us, good for those who have plenty of cash and would rather spend a little than play all weekend and good for PD in the profit margin.

Now if they made the prizes in game lower and the cars more expensive there would be a legitimate reason to complain about it.
 
Because you know, it's a videogame and all.
Exactly. A game.

For the vast majority of people (adults) it is an insignificant part of their life, that they seek to enjoy in their few moments of leisure.

I would have stopped playing GT at GT3 if GT4 hadn't allowed me to use other people's saved games with mega credits.
 
Back