Soft-Body Crash Physics; Yes or No?

• Thread starter calahan
  • 227 comments

Should Future GT will have Realistic Crash?

• Yes but its nice if it has option to turn it off too.

Votes: 218 90.8%
  • No, its useless.

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters
Should future GT will have realistic crash?

i mean the crash animation and you can't continue the race if you crash bad enough

Would "The Real Driving Simulator" continue being "The Real Driving Simulator" without? I don't think so, so yes, there should!

Hasn't needed it before, doesn't need it now. Don't get me wrong, it'd be cool, but not worth delaying the game for.

They could start by introducing the heavy mechanical damage we have right now in A-Spec, making it mandatory might prove to be tricky since everything has to be optional these days.
Another thing that may prevent them from making a car discontinue after a crash if it's too badly damaged is car manufacturers not allowing it, at least that's what I often read here (not all car manufacturers object to it, for example in Driver San Francisco it is possible but it doesn't include all brands which are in GT5/Forza 4 and the gameplay allows you to easily shift into another car).
I think the heavy damage is enough though, limping back to the pit with an undriveable car is enough punishment, and it's still a videogame foremost.

I'm with rallymorten, but also with McClarenDesign...
So I'm kinda stuck in the middle here :sly:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind an option to turn it on/off, I'm just saying their "slogan" promises and actually disappoints

Make it the most realistic, you crashed the car, if the engine and chassis badly damaged, you are out of the race and the car's gone forever. You can still sell if for scrap, maybe 10% of it's original value. Tires and wheel could be damaged independently, engine can overheat, suspension could be damaged much like the way they do in real life.Also let's not forget, tire blowout :)

rallymorten
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind an option to turn it on/off, I'm just saying their "slogan" promises and actually disappoints

Then maybe you should start a new thread/poll on whether people feel the tag 'the real driving simulator' is fitting or not and if not what would be more appropriate, could be amusing although its probably against some forum rules but that's why I'm suggesting you do it rather just start it myself.

In terms of damage :

Forza + Granturismo = Perfect damage sistem
______2

Forza has to much , Granturismo has "to less"

They also need some more textures such as paint scratches etc.

_MG_8617.jpg

I want to see damage like a real life, like this new cryengine 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg

Not gonna happen:
  1. Not a native feature of CryEngine 3 - it's a bolt-on made by third party devs, who took over development of the Rigs of Rods system of interconnected lattices of "springs and masses", or "sticks and stones".
  2. It's very heavy on CPU usage (although, it's a prime candidate for GPGPU computation - perhaps next gen, probably after), especially for high mesh / lattice complexity (high detail).
  3. Content production is difficult without broad knowledge of the underlying system and the system you're trying to model with it (so long as we're still talking about sims), and requires many changes to existing content-production workflows.
We'd all love it, of course.

But manufacturers would then want their cars to have their respective 5 star Euro NCAP Crash results, which would lead to other manufacturers or the the same manufacturer only including the latest cars and ones with 5 stars so they don't look any worse than a rival. So we would have have a pretty boring game with lots of dull cars and I imagine more Audi, Volvo and Saab's!

I think if an impact is large enough, it should be a "Fatal Crash".

After a fatal crash, your save file is wiped because you are dead. So you have to start a new career as a different driver.

Now THAT would be a hadcore sim.

I knid of want to get an Xbox just to get Forza seeing as it just has sooo much more to offer than GT5 nowadays. If my DFGT worked with it I would have left GT5 a long time ago.

Really? It's that bad? I mean I just want all the extras that GT5 doesn't have.

Actually, the livery editor is amazing. That's about it.

Although, I think you would enjoy F4 more if you never played F3. As the track list is almost identical, aside from a few new ones (And removed ones).

You can go from Forza physics to GT5 physics. But you can never go from GT5 physics to Forza physics.

I was looking for an option, "no, but its nice to turn on". I wouldn't use it all the time and don't care for much damage, except mechanical not cosmetic , but its nice to have an option to turn it on.

Your poll seems to me, yes/maybe or no. Looks like you're looking for more yes votes.

No. If it's realistic and a mere brush against a wall shoves the fender into the tire and you DNF, nobody would use it. If it's like other games where a rollover will wreck your car, well that's nice but it's hardly an "important" feature and PD's time would be better spent working on any number of other things.

I like to have plenty of options and would also like better looking damage. I would only use the visual damage online if it didn't cause lag.

I would also like to see better online crash physics. I race dirty Nascars and I'm able to miss bad wrecks but often get taken out from behind by a spinning car. A spinning car should be scrubbing speed and not accelerating at speeds in excess of 200 mph. I'm sure this also affects clean racers.

Make it the most realistic, you crashed the car, if the engine and chassis badly damaged, you are out of the race and the car's gone forever. You can still sell if for scrap, maybe 10% of it's original value. Tires and wheel could be damaged independently, engine can overheat, suspension could be damaged much like the way they do in real life.Also let's not forget, tire blowout :)

Imagine how awesome this would be in endurance racing! Of course it has to affect the ai cars too. The 24 hours races would get a completely different dynamic. Of course it would suck if you really want to win the race and end up with some mechanical failure that reuires you to stay an hour in the pit to fix it, but it would be more realistic and more intense. I guess careful driving would be more important than setting the fastest lap times. And even though you're a few laps behind the leader you would know that anything could happen and that the race is not over until the 24 hours has passed...

No. If it's realistic and a mere brush against a wall shoves the fender into the tire and you DNF, nobody would use it. If it's like other games where a rollover will wreck your car, well that's nice but it's hardly an "important" feature and PD's time would be better spent working on any number of other things.

You shouldn't use the walls, so I don't see a problem. It would make city racing more intense. It's no big thing to dare going fast through a section if you don't risk anything, but if you risk damaging your car that would be an entirely different thing. I think it would improve the sensation of racing so I would consider it an important feature.

Last edited:
Better damage modeling: absolutely. As for not being able to continue race: should stay the way it is, pit and re-enter repaired. Thats plenty enough of a penalty for any race. Unfortunately there are too many undisciplined drivers to make this effective and fun. Would surely create alot of race quits.

At the very least, the damage sound effects need to be better. Driving a car at 230 mph into a wall makes just a pathetic *bang* sound. Sounds in GT5 are what really need to be overhauled.

I knid of want to get an Xbox just to get Forza seeing as it just has sooo much more to offer than GT5 nowadays. If my DFGT worked with it I would have left GT5 a long time ago.

I did this.

Take it from me. Don't bother.

Take it from me, do bother. Not only would you be able to take advantage of FM4, but also RacePro is cheap and a great sim as well.

Actually, the livery editor is amazing. That's about it.

Although, I think you would enjoy F4 more if you never played F3. As the track list is almost identical, aside from a few new ones (And removed ones).

You can go from Forza physics to GT5 physics. But you can never go from GT5 physics to Forza physics.

Utter and complete nonsense. While FM4s physics engine still has issues (every sim does) they are a lot fewer than the ones GT5 has, however this is not the correct thread for discussing that.

GT5 vs FM4 physics - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=226995

GT vs FM - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=209534 or http://www.forzaplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=695

Last edited:
To me its not necessary, in a sim like GT5 I try to prevent crashing at any time. And if it happens I'm going to be frustrated anyway, with the car beeing deformed or not. So I like the way it is in GT5 better than Forza where your headlights glass brakes after the slightest touch making it imposible to enjoy a replay after a good race. Yet I'm ok with it as long as you can turn it off/on.

Yes yes yes. It's a Part of Racing and i think a semi-SIM like GT needs it like other semi-sims or sims.

Would some People play madden, FIFA, PES without tackles, injuries?
I dont think so.

You would Drive more carefully. It would have a Impact in Gameplay and your behaivor as a driver.

Back