Soft or Hard

• Thread starter domino5343
  • 256 comments
klevrah
i've noticed that there are slower drifters and there are faster drifters online (CH restriction). Once you can adjust to both, your good to go!

That being said, if you drift CH tyres, you get better with all tyres, CS included. learning maybe easier with CS tyres though as they are not as slippery as CH tyres.

Thx you for responding to the question.

There will never be a true answer to say what which is best because everyone has there opinions. I don't care if CH are not like D1 and stuff all i want to do is go sideways.

i can drift the whole time on cs you just need to tune the car and get use to it and i can drift on almost any line but thats prolly because iv been drifting the same can for 5 months :)

cm and cs tires seem to be a way better tire..after watching ALOT of formula d and d1gp for many reasons.
1. real drift cars drift low as 40 to even 80mph cm and cs can do that
2. real drift cars it or not are a lil grippy and snappy like cm or cs
3. ch are too slippery and slow to be even accurate to a real car
4. real drift cars dont drift at 25mph in 5th gear (thats totally off)
5. even the drift cars on gtp are equiped with cs tires
6. real drift cars can drift but needs to be tuned to drift proper, unlike ch the tires are like vaseline like ch tires
7. real drift cars dont have tire spin all the way through 6th gear while accelerating on straight like ch tires
8. ch tires are good beginner tires but they are much to slow and slippery, no matter what car you drive from a 160hp japanese k car or a 800hp lambo you will be drift at slow speeds in 5th gear and now real drift drift car sits in 5th gear low rpm drifting. Real drift are at 3rd to 4th at a high rpm drift, hearing the scream of a rotary instead of a suttle quiet slow drift.

I hope you guys need to atleast agree that cm tires are better than ch......thats my opinion :)

Respectfully, ill try to counter argument everything possible here:

1. Depending the car, CH can keep those speeds too. Of course with too much more smoke and wheelspin. Would be more clear if you tell us witch car(s) youre drifting.
2. Real drift cars normaly are heavier than what we are used to make in GT5. It drasticaly brings influence to slip distance, grip ratio x angle, inertia and more.
3. I disagree due the simple fact that GT5 is a simplified simulator, and real life cars are much harder to drive than in GT5. So the closest we can have in responses is the CH. And no, CH is not too slippery.
4. Keep in mind that we are dealing with cars with 400hp, 500hp or even more. Besides, even my SLS don´t have this behavior in the situation that you described, running on CH. Maybe you need to review your gearbox and LSD settings?
5. Maybe because the developers denie to see that the majority consider the online drifting as the real deal instead the solo-scoring-based drift, including the slighty diferent physics?
6. I have a diferent point of view here. Im glad to be able to use CH, otherwise i couldn´t use anything with less than 300hp for drifting and keep a correct line. I hadn´t tried, but is possible to achieve a single manji + reverse entry in the main straight in Tsukuba using a fully tunned AE86 using CS?
7. Again, i would need see it on live to figure exactly what you are talking about. You would need to clarify what car youre using specify all your setup.
8. CH are good for beginners, indeed, cose nothing worst than start to learn with the wrong idea, wrong techniques, wrong concept and many other wrongs. CS or any other tyre set is not the "evolution of the CH", also CH is not a starter tyre set. The CH is the tire of choice in Japanese Lobbies, and who am i or who are you to disagree from them?

So maybe its just a diferent concept of the whole idea of what drift is about. CH users when find something wrong in the car, they don´t blame the tires, but they dig a lot in their settings. CH users are worried to make a perfect line, door 2 door drift, fight against the inertia hooking the apex in huge angles. About your "unecessary burnout", i dont feel the same way, any powerfull car have a wild throtle. Also i cant complain about the speed gaunge and the adrenaline rush inside this speed pattern, because it feels pretty much similar to what i noticed on LSF or R-Factor (Overster Mod), about speed and grip ratio.

Anyways, even with all these argumentations, im not here to preach and say to people use CH. You can use whatever you want, but the CH lobbies always will be better and i hope that people can deal with CH like masters when get in a room with these standards.

Lazy Liquid
Respectfully, ill try to counter argument everything possible here:

1. Depending the car, CH can keep those speeds too. Of course with too much more smoke and wheelspin. Would be more clear if you tell us witch car(s) youre drifting.
2. Real drift cars normaly are heavier than what we are used to make in GT5. It drasticaly brings influence to slip distance, grip ratio x angle, inertia and more.
3. I disagree due the simple fact that GT5 is a simplified simulator, and real life cars are much harder to drive than in GT5. So the closest we can have in responses is the CH. And no, CH is not too slippery.
4. Keep in mind that we are dealing with cars with 400hp, 500hp or even more. Besides, even my SLS don´t have this behavior in the situation that you described, running on CH. Maybe you need to review your gearbox and LSD settings?
5. Maybe because the developers denie to see that the majority consider the online drifting as the real deal instead the solo-scoring-based drift, including the slighty diferent physics?
6. I have a diferent point of view here. Im glad to be able to use CH, otherwise i couldn´t use anything with less than 300hp for drifting and keep a correct line. I hadn´t tried, but is possible to achieve a single manji + reverse entry in the main straight in Tsukuba using a fully tunned AE86 using CS?
7. Again, i would need see it on live to figure exactly what you are talking about. You would need to clarify what car youre using specify all your setup.
8. CH are good for beginners, indeed, cose nothing worst than start to learn with the wrong idea, wrong techniques, wrong concept and many other wrongs. CS or any other tyre set is not the "evolution of the CH", also CH is not a starter tyre set. The CH is the tire of choice in Japanese Lobbies, and who am i or who are you to disagree from them?

So maybe its just a diferent concept of the whole idea of what drift is about. CH users when find something wrong in the car, they don´t blame the tires, but they dig a lot in their settings. CH users are worried to make a perfect line, door 2 door drift, fight against the inertia hooking the apex in huge angles. About your "unecessary burnout", i dont feel the same way, any powerfull car have a wild throtle. Also i cant complain about the speed gaunge and the adrenaline rush inside this speed pattern, because it feels pretty much similar to what i noticed on LSF or R-Factor (Overster Mod), about speed and grip ratio.

Anyways, even with all these argumentations, im not here to preach and say to people use CH. You can use whatever you want, but the CH lobbies always will be better and i hope that people can deal with CH like masters when get in a room with these standards.

This argument can go on for ever. CH can't keep up with CS meaning it can't reach the same speed. I can manji and reverse entry a hachi roku on CS. If you look at alot of japanese rooms half of them don't even have a tire restriction. I use CS on every car no matter the horsepower. There may be more CH lobbies but you have never been in my CS room, and I am a master of the CS.

i completely disagree cs can do anything ch can do plus you have more control and speed. ch are just too slow to compare to real drifting they are life bald spare tires, yes with cs cars are at different lvls but that life and ppl can limit the power for better compition. im not trying to offend but this can be a long arguement and im tired of it

Last edited:
1. This argument can go on for ever.
2. CH can't keep up with CS meaning it can't reach the same speed.
3. I can manji and reverse entry a hachi roku on CS.
4. If you look at alot of japanese rooms half of them don't even have a tire restriction.
5. I use CS on every car no matter the horsepower.
6. There may be more CH lobbies but you have never been in my CS room, and I am a master of the CS.

1. Yes, it can. But not will be myself here for days long defending it, because 99.9% of the CH crowd is drifting right now instead prove why CH is better, and in few minutes ill be there too.
2. Of course it cant. But CH can link everything all the time with a much larger rate of cars, unlike any other tyre set. For people who use 1 or 2 cars this is not a big deal, but for me who have 100 drifting car in the fav list (and more outside), its enough to keep on the best choice of tires.
3. Sport Hard can´t do this, never. And SH is closer to CS than CH is to CS, so... but if you want to prove to the community that you can, just put a video in here. And if you don´t want (or claim no need) to prove, thats fine because i still not believing.
4. Any prove? No? And even if you´re right, you would need to prove also that they mix tires while tandeming. No exceptions, please.
5. Good for you, next?
6. Actualy, no. What is the huge majority are the free choice tyre lobbies. Not because the owners want to keep the free will, but yes because most owners dont have no clue of what is important to make a healthy room for drifting. The same "open choice" rooms probably will not lock off TCS, Stering Help, etc... same as they not care about of AWD users or even laggers... In other words, many few lobbies worth to drift in, thats because they are fully cap mostly everytime.

cm and cs are fairly good tires and can be run together. Can you atleast think about cm tires, they are in the middle of ch and cs you have you main point of majority of ppl use them and i have my point of cs has a more realistic physics

Lazy Liquid
1. Yes, it can. But not will be myself here for days long defending it, because 99.9% of the CH crowd is drifting right now instead prove why CH is better, and in few minutes ill be there too.
2. Of course it cant. But CH can link everything all the time with a much larger rate of cars, unlike any other tyre set. For people who use 1 or 2 cars this is not a big deal, but for me who have 100 drifting car in the fav list (and more outside), its enough to keep on the best choice of tires.
3. Sport Hard can´t do this, never. And SH is closer to CS than CH is to CS, so... but if you want to prove to the community that you can, just put a video in here. And if you don´t want (or claim no need) to prove, thats fine because i still not believing.
4. Any prove? No? And even if you´re right, you would need to prove also that they mix tires while tandeming. No exceptions, please.
5. Good for you, next?
6. Actualy, no. What is the huge majority are the free choice tyre lobbies. Not because the owners want to keep the free will, but yes because most owners dont have no clue of what is important to make a healthy room for drifting. The same "open choice" rooms probably will not lock off TCS, Stering Help, etc... same as they not care about of AWD users or even laggers... In other words, many few lobbies worth to drift in, thats because they are fully cap mostly everytime.

Il be here too checking it. I can link all the corners on CS. SH has nothing to do with anything this is CS vs CH, if anything CS and CM are close too. The hachi roku video will be up. No need to prove the japanese room you can go check yourself. I myself set the room restriction to CS because I don't want sports or racing tires, just like I set traction TCS off along with everything else.

Last edited:
Il be here too checking it. I can link all the corners on CS. SH has nothing to do with anything this is CS vs CH, if anything CS and CM are close too. The hachi roku video will be up. No need to prove the japanese room you can go check yourself. I myself set the room restriction to CS because I don't want sports or racing tires, just like I set traction TCS off along with everything else.

I can only link corners with CS if I keep clutch kicking. I can't do big feints and weight shifts like CH's.
Although I am certain that FD drivers are constantly clutch kicking as well. Most of them are on semi-slicks.

Putting cones up in a parking lot or sliding around a go kart track may be a sort of drifting activity, but it doesn't have the grace and technique born from necessity.

The simple fact is that drifting as a racing technique is about rotating your car's position on the track in corners and situations (ei maybe some tighter esses you get on toscana tarmac) where the road turns at a radius that exceeds the radius that you could full grip. Instead of slow in fast out it's like a medium in medium out tactic.

If you are going sideways to slow down, just like skiers and snowboarders, it would make sense to use a tire that can slow you down effectively- the stickiest compound that the weight of your car can still slide into corners without gripping too early.
My experience with urethane is that heavy people get more grip on hard wheels than lighter people. And when lighter people use stickier wheels they don't slide, they chatter.
So obviously there is a RANGE of tires you can use effectively, depending on your preference, car, track, and what everyone else is using.

I guess . . .i f you're drifting a nascar, use ch. otherwise Why bother?

K1ngKlicK
Ever tried tandem with a CH driver? :sly:

Yeah all the time, alot of the people I play with drift CH. Its not a problem I can hold it down behind them. Just like when im in front of a CH driver im not gonna pull away just because I can, I like to keep it close.

Yeah all the time, alot of the people I play with drift CH. Its not a problem I can hold it down behind them. Just like when im in front of a CH driver im not gonna pull away just because I can, I like to keep it close.

See? A forgiving person, top drifter... due the tire choice. Why dont you try to be the same top drifter in the same conditions to your mates?

Oh, just in case im quoting your last answer to me, in case you delete your message. Because i want this video!

Dont forget: AE-86 (of your choice, trueno, levin or SS) doing a clean single manji in the main straight, linking for a reverse entry.

the reason why he doesnt like ch tires lol because he prefers cs tires and to answer you question liquid he already done it the video should be up in a bit. It wasnt hard to do all he had to do is tune the suspension like a real car. But we havent tried linking after you seem to have added that in afterwards

I thought we already went over this I drift the CS because they more realistic. More than half of my friend list drift CS I just so happen to have CH people on there. I already got a manji on the long straight and a reverse into the first hairpin. Now you want me to manji into a reverse entry?

I thought we already went over this I drift the CS because they more realistic. More than half of my friend list drift CS I just so happen to have CH people on there. I already got a manji on the long straight and a reverse into the first hairpin. Now you want me to manji into a reverse entry?

That was my challenge since the first request. Any donkey can do a single manji in the main straight or a reverse entry without link them both. Im challenging you to do the single manji without straight it up before the first hairpin and link it in a reverse entry or anything as close as possible to a reverse entry. In a AE-86 of your choice, CS tires. No cheat (ill know if you be using CH), no excuses.

This challenge is not to you show how pro you are using CS, but the tyre effectivity itself, because is enough hard to do it using CH already. Doesn´t happens perfectly anytime we try.

You will have in your favor more speed to complete the whole path, but otherwise you will have to deal with more grip in a place where you must haste smoke for a long time with pretty small angles and count with your grip precision to achieve a correct entry.

Back