Sony Gamescom press - GT6 appearance

I think it does take that into account,but a 70+million user base is still the better deal for PD and Sony.

His post does not mention taking console sales into account, only sales of the game itself. Though he/she does leverage the install base of the two consoles as a point. This is why I made that point.

And even if it did there's historic sales fact for this franchise that show a new installment on a new console sells way better then a sequal on the same console.

Several years, yes, which could've been put into making a mind blowing PS4 title within a year or two from the launch of the console. No, instead they're releasing GT5.5 on the current gen console AFTER the next gen console is released.

I honestly don't see the logic, and I probably never will, unless GT7 is released in 2016 or sooner.

Then I'm glad they put it on PS3. I'm not about to wait 5 years again for a GT game. Because honestly, the longer they take, the higher expectations will be, and GT7 just might be a repeat of GT5 if it takes too long and doesn't reach certain standards other racing games have set during development time. And at least wait until the game is out before calling it GT5.5. I hate stating the obvious, but we do not know everything about the game yet, let alone how it plays.

Last edited:
I'll take paying just one price for GT6 on a console I already have over paying $399 for a new system just for a "Next-gen" GT6, which I also have to pay for. Maybe its because I'm abit limited financially, but I don't understand this fascination of having to "keep up". This feels more like another social fad rather then a logical business plan.

This is a flawed argument since it doesn't take into account how much a early GT6 on PS4 would drive console sales. And while Sony might not make much per console sold, the attachment rate of games (usually something like 6-12 games per console) DOES make them alot of money.

Add to that non-monetary value things like increased console market shares, it makes for a very good business perspective why GT6 should have in fact been release on PS4 and not PS3.

It's funny how you ignored the next statement of mine (and tried to discredit me in the process):

GT6 on PS3 was the safer bet. Forza on the other hand took the gamble of using the Xbox One and-based on people's criticism of the console-may have an effect on its sales.

So, what if the PS4 had a disaster-run like the Xbox One did and GT6 was on PS4? Would GT6 sell better on the PS4 or the PS3?

Alternatively, having it release on both consoles could have the best of both worlds (depending on when it would likely be released)-which leads back to my original point:

This. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a 'GT Academy' or 'XL' Edition on PS4 with all DLC included, and an option to transfer garages...

It's funny how you ignored the next statement of mine (and tried to discredit me in the process):

So, what if the PS4 had a disaster-run like the Xbox One did and GT6 was on PS4? Would it sell better than putting it on the PS3?

I ignored it because it doesn't have any real basis, contrary to what I posted(GT as a console seller, entry number two on the same plattform has never perfomed as good as the first). But I wont hold any grudge if you want to argue for a speculative "what if" scenario.

I ignored it because it doesn't have any real basis, contrary to what I posted(GT as a console seller, entry number two on the same plattform has never perfomed as good as the first). But I wont hold any grudge if you want to argue for a speculative "what if" scenario.

You sound more patronising than you do convincing.
I couldn't give a damn about which platform it's on, as long as we get it, enjoy it and have continued support by PD over the next few years. 'nuff said

Looks like we won't see a GT title on the PS4 until 2018 then, but I guess you'll still enjoy GT6 on your PS3's by then, yeah? 👍

Why not? Considering the number of quality games coming to the system (to say nothing of the rest of them from earlier this year - it's been a bumper crop), I imagine a lot of people will be sticking with the "old" system. It's not like it'll be uniformly dropped the day PS4 releases.

Looking at PlayStation history, where the performance differences between generations was far bigger than this one, the older systems were produced and sold successfully for years. So why so you keep making such a big deal out of it?

Some of us still enjoy GT2 on PS1 after what, 13 years so 5 years difference to 2018 is irrelevant.

I really hope that the Nike Two concept has the visual style that Nike uses for the Oregon Ducks' football uniforms

You sound more patronising than you do convincing.
I couldn't give a damn about which platform it's on, as long as we get it, enjoy it and have continued support by PD over the next few years. 'nuff said

Hey now, it wasn't me who made the financial argument of GT6 on PS3 instead of PS4.

I don't see the big deal, I bet GT7 will take less time to make than GT5 since PD said that it's an easier system to develop on. I think I might get a lot of enjoyment out of GT6 before then on my PS3 before then, the same with Project Cars and then in the future; Drive Club.

I'll take paying just one price for GT6 on a console I already have over paying $399 for a new system just for a "Next-gen" GT6, which I also have to pay for. Maybe its because I'm abit limited financially, but I don't understand this fascination of having to "keep up". This feels more like another social fad rather then a logical business plan.

Couldn't agree more 👍. I bought a PS3 just for GT and I feel like Sony and PD owe me after the disappoint me that was GT5. In past months I was thinking: "If GT6 is for PS3, then I'll keep the console and buy the game. If it's for PS4, I'll sell my console and buh-bye GT". I'm not gonna fork $300-$400 for a console that will only see one GT title in it's lifespan.

I don't care how good it would've been if it was released in PS4, all I know is that I'm not gonna buy one console per GT and that's the end of it, at least for me. But I'm not alone because everyone in my same economic situation (which, mind you, isn't too bad) will think the same.

Hey now, it wasn't me who made the financial argument of GT6 on PS3 instead of PS4.

Another point: if it's Sony's goal to continue supporting the PS3, then why would they allow their flagship title to be sold on PS4? That would be contradictory and make no sense

Buying a console for just one game is sad though.
Another point: if it's Sony's goal to continue supporting the PS3, then why would they allow their flagship title to be sold on PS4? That would be contradictory and make no sense
A Spec 3.0 update for GT5 could've been an option. Just saying.

Last edited:
Strittan

Despite GT6 using a new rendering engine and everything being overhauled? It is a brand new game.

What Furinkazen said. No, you can't do a patch to unbuild massive amounts of game code and slap in huge chunks of new. GT5 has already suffered on my PS3 from all the patches.

I don't see the big deal, I bet GT7 will take less time to make than GT5 since PD said that it's an easier system to develop on.
Everyone says this. Programming is very straightforward, with few differences between dev kits and PS4. Other than good differences: no Windoze OS to fight resources for, no PCIe buss, unified streamlined and very fast PS4 architecture, etc. And coding for PS3 is reputed to be like building a ship in a bottle, with the narrow bottlenecks around Cell, RSX, and the divided memory.

I know the arguments for GT6 on PS4, heck I made them all myself. But listen, I'm totally sold on this. PS3 has a huge marketshare now, is still pretty darn powerful, and I'm really stunned what the team has been able to do with this seven year old technology - finalized in 2005, manufactured in 2006. And the final game optimizations are still a couple of months off. This is looking to be one sweet racer.

Not if you get countless hours out of said game. Bought a 360 for Forza and don't regret it one bit.

It's not an option, because it wouldn't work. GT6 will have a new phyics engine, adaptive tessellation, etc. How are they supposed to take game code that's set in stone on a GT5 disc, and change it through an update? All updates do is ADD-ON to the current game, not replace.

So, rather than having a new physics engine, a new rendering engine, adaptive tessellation, polished up cars/tracks, etc you want to stick with the old game :odd:

Yeah, a old game he doesn't even play anymore too. Don't know why he's even bothering.....

How come the iRacing crew can update their sim and PD can not?

Because everything iRacing is done through the internet and not a physical disc you have to take out of a "outdated" machine from 2006?

Because everything iRacing is done through the internet and not a physical disc you have to take out of a "outdated" machine from 2006?
Same principal with or without disc though, isn't it? You download the update and you install it.

Yeah, a old game he doesn't even play anymore too. Don't know why he's even bothering.....

I was passionate about GT5 for much of its lifespan and am the owner of the Signature Edition, but I think it's time for GT5 to draw to a close and GT6 to arrive. As for him, he's just hating for the sake of hating and I absolutely loathe people who do that on any game.

I was passionate about GT5 for much of its lifespan and am the owner of the Signature Edition, but I think it's time for GT5 to draw to a close and GT6 to arrive. As for him, he's just hating for the sake of hating and I absolutely loathe people who do that on any game.

I agree. It really is time for GT5 to end and on with GT6, we need a new GT game we can't stick with one forever, impossible.

Also you're right, it would seem that he is complaining for the sake of it. Too funny. :lol:

Not something I would encourage as I've never liked the idea (even though some people do obviously). Point being though is if that's the only game you're interested in (like it is with me) and its for the system you already have, all I'm spending is say, $59.99. If it was only for PS4, I would have to spend $399 for the system AND an additional amount for said game (which the price for I still am unaware of).

As it is right now, I know the price of the game and that its going to be on something I already have setup.

Latest Posts

Back