Sony Reveals New PlayStation 5: Slimmer, Smaller, and With More Storage

• Thread starter Famine
  • 98 comments
Not usually bothered about slim line revisions but if these models do away with coil whine then I may trade in my original towards one of these.

The coil whine is extremely annoying on some games on my ps5.

I wonder why this console news is in the Sim Racing Hardware section?

Did they get rid of the m.2 slot?

I think they did.

Stupid.

They probably want to re-introduce it with the pro.
What are you basing this on? Anything other than blind ranting at any sort of change?

From the article:
At present there’s no mention of any changes to the M.2 expansion slot, which we’d assume still fits in under the now two-piece top cover.

I wonder why this console news is in the Gran Turismo 7 forum?
If only this site had a dedicated Console & PC Gaming forum. I'm sure people will use it for more than GT7.

Last edited:
What are you basing this on? Anything other than blind ranting at any sort of change?

From the article:

That’s one way to interpret the fact that it’s not mentioned at all (not even in the spec sheet)
I tend to be more skeptical.

We’ll see.

Either way it’s certainly not “blind ranting”.

EDIT: it’s still there:

Last edited:
I like the look especially the fact that you add the disc drive. Hopefully that will be throw plan moving forward. But I suspect they will follow MS go all digital next generation. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong

Selling the stand separately... I wouldn't have space on my desk without it, I just bought a PS5 last week, it stands as tall as my PC...and this new version isn't that much smaller to make a huge difference for space, depends on your arrangements I guess but still, I'd rather just stand it up. Bit silly to separate it at this point.

As long as there is an option for physical media I am more than happy
I think this shows how PS6 will be handled

All digital units with an optional disc drive attachment
kjb
I like the look especially the fact that you add the disc drive. Hopefully that will be throw plan moving forward. But I suspect they will follow MS go all digital next generation. But I sincerely hope I'm wrong
I'm surprised Sony not only didn't go digital-only, but will allow those that go slim/digital to step up to an optical drive. It's next to impossible to find an internal optical drive on a PC nowadays, and then you're limited to DVD and desktop from Dell or Lenovo. If you want Blu-Ray on a computer, you're stuck with external from LG...and no Ultra/4K.

Assuming Microsoft does follow through with the leaked (subsequently deemed "outdated", for what that's worth) digital-only path, I suspect that the PS5 Slim is the last hurrah for console optical drives.
Selling the stand separately... I wouldn't have space on my desk without it, I just bought a PS5 last week, it stands as tall as my PC...and this new version isn't that much smaller to make a huge difference for space, depends on your arrangements I guess but still, I'd rather just stand it up. Bit silly to separate it at this point.
Two words describe that, as well as the "stupid penalty" for buying the digital slim version and optical drive separately - MORE MONEY!

Two words describe that, as well as the "stupid penalty" for buying the digital slim version and optical drive separately - MORE MONEY!
It's worth noting that Sony describes the new, separate vertical stand as "compatible with all PS5s". That suggests it's compatible with original consoles too, which further suggests that the original stand is compatible with the new console.

Of course it may not be the case, but if you already have a PS5 there's a fair chance the original stand will work with the new device (and is intended to support 75% more weight!).

I wonder why this console news is in the Sim Racing Hardware section?
It's the standard path for articles with "Hardware" selected as a category. I just didn't really notice/care to move it when it originally published.

It's worth noting that Sony describes the new, separate vertical stand as "compatible with all PS5s". That suggests it's compatible with original consoles too, which further suggests that the original stand is compatible with the new console.

Of course it may not be the case, but if you already have a PS5 there's a fair chance the original stand will work with the new device (and is intended to support 75% more weight!).
But then what do you do with the original PS5 now without its own stand. :lol:

But then what do you do with the original PS5 now without its own stand. :lol:
Trade it in. They'll only give you, like, £40 for it anyway.

Or put it into the great console retirement box in the attic, like I do :D

I suspect the old vertical stand won't officially be compatible, but it should function after a fashion. There is a channel the original sits in, while it appears there isn't any channel in the newer one.

I suspect the old vertical stand won't officially be compatible, but it should function after a fashion. There is a channel the original sits in, while it appears there isn't any channel in the newer one.
Probably because that newer stand is,..erm…”slim”. ;)

I think it’s cool that we can upgrade the disc drive now. It makes for easier replacement too if one was to stop working. ( digital version ) Plus if the future does go more digital If PS6 allows this feature to upgrade the drive that would be a great way to keep all happy perhaps. Or maybe in the future other components can be upgraded.

Looks crappy horizontally. Stand sold separate uh with my fat PS5 I unboxed when GT7 25th Anniversary arrived n then I realized the stand is used regardless your orientation..

My two 1s my two 2s my two 3s n my 5 all sit horizontal

Last edited:
Cool ,but if you already got PS5 then this is pointless unless you want smaller and more power efficient PS5

also zero reason to buy Digital only version with that price increase

Last edited:
That optional disc drive is fantastic, which seems to have been glossed over. That is huge news.

Back