Sony Reveals New PlayStation 5: Slimmer, Smaller, and With More Storage

• Thread starter Famine
  • 98 comments
I wonder why this console news is in the Gran Turismo 7 forum?
giphy.gif

Yeah, there's no 1080p to 4k leap this time. They'll try to sell it on raytracing no doubt. Bigger upgrade for me would be getting a new 120hz TV, and then I can use the 40fps modes in Insomniac games.
The difference between a PS5 and a PS5Pro would be insignificant on anything but a 4K 120Hz OLED. The focus would be pushing full 4K RT games from 30 to 60+, 1440p VRR games closer to 120Hz, and locked 120Hz games to higher resolutions.

From experience, I can say that while 40fps is better than 30, Rift Apart and Spider-Man are so much better in Performance RT at 80-100fps with hardly any image quality difference (at least on a 42" from 1.7m away) that you'll never want to go back to Quality mode.

Actually, now you mention it, it is a bit odd that the numerical value for the disc drive is higher in GBP than in USD - and that the EUR number doesn't match(ish - within 10% of) the USD one.

Pretty much every price for every piece of gaming equipment - from peripherals to games - that I've covered in the last decade has had near-parity for the USD/EUR pricing in raw numbers (EUR sometimes slightly higher) and a lower number for the GBP price. This is not that, except all the other items listed are actually that too.

I wonder if GBP/USD is transposed. That would make much more sense:

PS5 Digital (USD/GBP/EUR)

449.99/389.99/449.99
PS5 Standard (USD/GBP/EUR)
499.99/479.99/549.99
PS5 VStand (USD/GBP/EUR)
29.99/24.99/29.99
PS5 Covers (USD/GBP/EUR)
54.99/44.99/54.99
PS5 Disc Drive (USD/GBP/EUR)
79.99/99.99/119.99

Odd.
That was kinda my point. The USD price seems incredibly low relative to the others.

The insistence on this white color and router design..., Sony really lacked creativity in making a simpler, minimalist and cheaper design to produce, it really isn't possible to understand some business decisions..

The insistence on this white color and router design..., Sony really lacked creativity in making a simpler, minimalist and cheaper design to produce, it really isn't possible to understand some business decisions..
Perhaps they weren’t interested in a simple, minimalist design? Not that simple or minimalist designs really require much creativity to begin with. Perhaps what they wanted was something they considered a work of art, or maybe unique?
But you are correct, it really isn’t possible to understand business decisions you have absolutely no involvement in.

The cost of producing these consoles comes overwhelmingly from the internal components, so the external design can really be whatever because thermoforming and even injection molding plastics (I’d assume the plates and most other plastic bits of the console are thermoformed) cost differences would be negligible between this design and say a plastic covered simple box design. The real savings would have to come from the electrical components or even possibly (maybe) packaging, but not really sure how much they could really save there aside from just shipping in a stock plain brown box with no physical manuals/instructions included?

I have to thank Sony for this announcement as it finally pushed me to buy a PS5 three years after I first planned to get one... Just it's the original model they pushed me to get, not the new one.

I hate the new design for the disc drive. The disc drive on the original model was already a bit weird but at this point it would be less ugly if they gave you an external USB drive like those horrible cheap ones Asus makes but sells for £40 more than they're actually worth. Plus, there is no way I'm going to pay a higher price for the console and then pay extra just to have it stood vertically. More than £500 for the same console that was £400 just a few weeks ago is an utter joke.

So I've bought the original model with a disc drive, a special offer on Amazon I didn't even know existed, £410 for the console and FC24 (another game to add to the 'never going to play' list), and before they go out of stock I am going to get Cosmic or Volcano Red faceplates and a second controller in one of those two colours. Then again, I'm not sure why I'm bothering since I only play three games on my PS4 and can barely put up with Sony's anti-consumer crap that makes them compete with P&O, Activision, Bungie and Irish Ferries for my most disliked company. Truly one of the poopyhead companies of all time.

You realise it's a subjective opinion as to whether or not it looks aesthetically pleasing? Do you think Sony's business decisions held back sales?

Like the design or not, Sony have barely caught production up to demand.

I think they tried to make it appear the least bulky that was possible with those white flaps getting narrower in the middle. Probably it helped with sales.

Or maybe Sony wanted the PS5 to look more flash than the textbook looking PS4(which lookEd like a PS2 and had the same basic pancake looking PS1 and PS3). Anyway, I think cooling it was paramount and they basically, went with a new design.
1697226665588.jpeg

Pricing aside, this thing looks awful. The original PS5 looked jarring but it was at least an actual coherent design. With all the panel gaps and everything here, it just ends up looking like one of those cheap plastic console covers that they used to offer for the 360 back in the day.

Do you think Sony's business decisions held back sales?
In the long term absolutely. Not just through making their console look like varieties of Seto Kaiba outfits and claiming it's some marvelous aesthetic that "only" requires massive external size to keep it from cooking itself; but also through the various other Arrogant Sony things they've been doing since the start of this console generation. Many minor cuts still cause you to bleed.

But it's easy to pose a hypothetical that is impossible to disprove, since:
Like the design or not, Sony have barely caught production up to demand.
That was always going to be the case regardless. They went into this console generation with more momentum and market control than they had in 2006, and even the PS3 sold reasonably well considering it was a waste of dump that was by far the poorer choice to purchase for the first 3 years of its life.

Last edited:
Great news for anybody that doesn't have one yet, I guess. And anybody who needs a smaller console to more easily hide it from their significant other. :lol:

Though I have to agree about the design, I don't really get the point of the random slash across the middle.

That new one should fit nicely in between my Jaguar and my Nintendo 64. I think the curves actually match but I might have to flip the '64 over.

Because GT7 works on my PS4 Pro, I can wait for a PS5 Pro and its leap in graphics.
GOOD:
Honestly GT7 works perfectly fine on PS4 Pro.
For those who cannot make the financial jump to PS5 yet, don't feel bad, you really are not missing much.
You are still able to enjoy the race and the game.

BETTER:
For those lucky with a great TV and who are able to easily purchase the PS5 too (or PS5 pro if there is ever such a thing), do it, the graphics upgrade is so good on the eyes, it is worth it. Eye candy for sure. There is really no better 2D experience. It is just a visual pleasure but serves no purpose in making you a better or faster player.

BEST:
At this point, for me, the real reason one would upgrade to the PS5 is for the PSVR2 experience with GT7.
GT7 was truly designed to be experienced on VR from the start. There is no doubt about it.
The best GT7 experience is on PSVR2, the graphics doesn't match 4K, but it is perfectly fine once you have the headset on, you are fully immersed and I am very accepting of the graphics tradeoff.
NOTE: YOU NEED THE SEAT, WHEEL, PEDAL, SHIFTER AND COCKPIT SET UP: this would require at least a budget of at least $2500 to $3000 minimum to properly enjoy it.
(I have never tried playing GT7 in VR with a controller, i don't know how that would feel, but I think it is just wrong, so I dont even want to try)

Three different ways to enjoy GT7, all perfectly fine, and you should not feel bad until you are able to comfortably upgrade.

Last edited:
I don't really get the point of the random slash across the middle.
Cheaper to change from digital to disc, as the bottomcover doesnt need to be replaced for 100% of the bottomside but only for the size of the disc instead.

I wouldn't be so sure , especially after "Slim" came out being true

also if you are fine with regular PS5 , you don't need to buy a Pro
The only reason there was a pro PS 4 was because Sony knew Microsoft where working on a new machine. It was a response to that and nothing else. Sony has won the console race again. Why would they split their userbase now?

The only reason there was a pro PS 4 was because Sony knew Microsoft where working on a new machine. It was a response to that and nothing else. Sony has won the console race again. Why would they split their userbase now?
To be aligned with PC price to power. Also that’s not true that they did it because of MS. They plan die shrinks and power based on roadmaps with chip makers and the pro console doesn’t split up the base in any meaningful way. The main base is the ps5, the pro are for people who want more power.

well main reason why PS4 Pro existed was because the 4K TVs and they need more powerful machine to handle 4K res

PS5 Pro main thing will be better ray tracing and being more powerful in general especially for upcoming UE5 games , so there is a market for that and you don't really split the userbase when its still the same platform

Last edited:
ray tracing
I dont like this buzzword, though this is of course only an opinion on my end:
I set every single current game to performance mode simply because playing on 30fps feels awkward to me.
If any new console can offer current "high spec" visuals at 60 or 120 instead of 30, this is what I would want for.
Not 30fps + ray tracing.

I dont like this buzzword, though this is of course only an opinion on my end:
I set every single current game to performance mode simply because playing on 30fps feels awkward to me.
If any new console can offer current "high spec" visuals at 60 or 120 instead of 30, this is what I would want for.
Not 30fps + ray tracing.
That's basically what the Pro will be , having ray tracing in higher framerates and in higher quality ofc + most future games will use UE5 way more demanding on hardware
There's been slim revisions of every PS console since the very beginning, it was always a given there was going to be one.
That is true , always when parts get cheaper and smaller apu die then they have to create Slim to phase out the old original hardware

Last edited:
The only thing relevent to me is Gran Turismo VR and i think non VR users forget that every single extra cpu hz or gpu flop is absoultely essential. I think Sony still cares about evolving VR, there is the need for a Pro ASAP.

Back