Sony Reveals New PlayStation 5: Slimmer, Smaller, and With More Storage

• Thread starter Famine
  • 98 comments
Reading "glossy white" makes me happy the current "fat" console did sell as is.
Also "slim + disc" looks ugly to me, but I dont think anyone is making this decision with aesthetic in mind anyway.
But the 4 part cover looks nicer.

"Please understand: We've greatly lowered production costs by developing a single SKU with an optional extra optical drive (that we're lying about the cost of by charging more than the difference in price over) and dramatically lowered the transportation and costs to stock the consoles, so we're passing those savings off to us.

Also, pay us $50 more."

Last edited:
Did they take design cues from the Jaguar??
175 more GB isn't worth an upgrade, but having a copy of the system for my game collection may be.

"The regular PS5 will set you back $499.99 (€549.99/£479.99), with the Digital Edition priced $50 cheaper at $449.99 (€449.99/£389.99)"

499 / 449 USD

406.11 / 365.41 converted to GBP

Why do we always get screwed over in this part of the world?

Last edited:
at least you get 1TB now :D
Maybe... Ostensibly it'll come with 1TB (metric), up from 3/4 of 1TiB (825GB=768GiB)
The storage you buy is measured metrically, but the game installs are always listed in the binary file sizes used by the console.
So, the 999.9GB PS5 is, in the GB used on the back of the game cases: 931GB (GiB, but who likes saying Gibibytes?)

Better yet, when we take away the (assuming the same) ~101GiB partition for system use that made the original model a 667GiB PS5, you now get an 830GiB PS5! The extra 163 gigs is not bad, it should be enough to hold GT7 up to patch 1.65 :D.

The vertical stand is no good to me with my setup but I probably would have payed the £30 for a different horizontal one. The black plastic one with the original is utterly useless, the console falls off it with the slightest touch. May have to get one of the 3rd party ones from Amazon instead.

Surprisingly user-friendly of Sony to keep the physical option (for now). I'm actually tempted to swap my OG disk for this new digital one at some point if they've sorted out the console whine. All my purchases recently have been digital, but I still have some disks and like the option to build up a collection later (plus I still use it as a UHD Bluray player).

Isn't US prices published without tax and EU prices with?
Isn't it state dependant? Not sure, but I am willing to bet, even the most expensive state is still cheaper than us...

Because GT7 works on my PS4 Pro, I can wait for a PS5 Pro and its leap in graphics.
I dont think a P5Pro will have the same leap over regular PS5 as PS5 over PS4Pro,
but I do understand; why waste any money when one doesnt consider the current hardware to be insufficient.
Though for me loading times alone is already worth the money. With all the waiting I would have to do on a PS4 I could do overtimes at work and pay for a PS5 already 😅

"The regular PS5 will set you back $499.99 (€549.99/£479.99), with the Digital Edition priced $50 cheaper at $449.99 (€449.99/£389.99)"

499 / 449 USD

406.11 / 365.41 converted to GBP

Why do we always get screwed over in this part of the world?
The bigger thing, which I really don't understand from the official announcement is the price of the disc drive...

$79.99 USD
£99.99 GBP
€119.99 EUR

How does that even work?

I mean even the US one is wildly overpriced; mostly so they can make it seem like the model with it included is a value add even though they raised the price of the base model by 12%.
I dont think a P5Pro will have the same leap over regular PS5 as PS5 over PS4Pro,
It won't. Raytracing is usually beneficial but the quality to performance ratio is exorbitant; particularly for AMD who fell asleep on anything but pure raster performance to the extent that even Intel leap frogged them in some areas. Couple that with GPU pricing having ballooned dramatically since the PS5/SeX were designed, plus power targets also skyrocketing.

I suspect the main aspect that a PS5 Pro would benefit from is an implementation of stuff from AMD's newer architecture to better jibe with FSR3 rather than anything to get people's hopes up about it turning into a raytracing monster.

Last edited:
The bigger thing, which I really don't understand from the official announcement is the price of the disc drive...

$79.99 USD
£99.99 GBP
€119.99 EUR

How does that even work?
well, on the basis of (locally checked price info)
  • PS5 Ultra HD Blu-ray-Disc-Drive – 549.99 EUR
  • PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 EUR + 119.99 EUR ...

Last edited:
Australia:

DISC drive $799 AUD
DIGITAL $679 AUD
DISC DRIVE for Digital $159 AUD
Stand $49.99 AUD

AUD->USD: $.65->$1.00

Isn't US prices published without tax and EU prices with?
I can confirm the former is true. US prices are published withOUT sales tax included. How much one pays in sales tax, is county* specific.

*Each state is broken up into X amount of counties. So, everyone who lives in say, North Carolina, will not pay the same amount of sales tax despite living within the same state.

AFAIK, no. Some states even doesn't have any additional tax to this price.

19% tax is a lot, from 500 its 95, from 450 its 85.5.
I am no expert, but 19% sales tax doesn't exist here. I think the highest is like 11%... which is still ridiculous. BUT, the reason it may be so high is because these states dont have a state-wide income tax. Most states do. So for every $100 you make, the state deducts $10 or something. Some states don't do this so they make up for it in higher sales tax. Some states do both!

Don't even want to get into talking about politics here (and probably get banned lol). Our government is horrible about doing most things... but one thing they are very good at is taking our [citizens'] money. It's like the old saying, "The only two certainties in life are death and taxes."

Last edited:
well, on the basis of (locally checked price info)
  • PS5 Ultra HD Blu-ray-Disc-Drive – 549.99 EUR
  • PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 EUR + 119.99 EUR ...
It's less that, it's more the fact that the disc drive in the US equates to £65 at the current exchange rate... So why is it retailing for 50% MORE than that in the UK? That's crazy given the comparable prices of everything else? I just don't understand?

$79.99 USD
£99.99 GBP
€119.99 EUR

How does that even work?
Actually, now you mention it, it is a bit odd that the numerical value for the disc drive is higher in GBP than in USD - and that the EUR number doesn't match(ish - within 10% of) the USD one.

Pretty much every price for every piece of gaming equipment - from peripherals to games - that I've covered in the last decade has had near-parity for the USD/EUR pricing in raw numbers (EUR sometimes slightly higher) and a lower number for the GBP price. This is not that, except all the other items listed are actually that too.

I wonder if GBP/USD is transposed. That would make much more sense:

PS5 Digital (USD/GBP/EUR)

449.99/389.99/449.99
PS5 Standard (USD/GBP/EUR)
499.99/479.99/549.99
PS5 VStand (USD/GBP/EUR)
29.99/24.99/29.99
PS5 Covers (USD/GBP/EUR)
54.99/44.99/54.99
PS5 Disc Drive (USD/GBP/EUR)
79.99/99.99/119.99

Odd.

An additional disc drive seems like an odd thing to be offering straight off the bat anyway. Surely those that want a drive will buy that version and those that feel they don't need one will just get the digital. I know some digital buyers may later decide they could use a drive at some point down the line. But straight away and for more than the difference?

I was very close to purchasing an OG PS5, but since this is coming out in November, I'll definitely just get one of these.

Hmm, maybe I'll be able to get hold of a Spidey cover for the OG now that this new model is coming and they aren't compatible? Things sell out so quick to the scalpers.

14.1in x 8.5in for the slim in compared to the 15.4in x 10.2in on the original doesn't seem like too much of a size decrease. I'm not sure if it would be worth the upgrade over the original I bought last year.

I think I'll have to see them side by side I guess before coming to a conclusion.

14.1in x 8.5in for the slim in compared to the 15.4in x 10.2in on the original doesn't seem like too much of a size decrease. I'm not sure if it would be worth the upgrade over the original I bought last year.

I think I'll have to see them side by side I guess before coming to a conclusion.
ps5-slim-comparison-1696966709023.jpg

But does it have an optical port. They really messed up on that, I have tactile feedback now on my race setup where I do my other gaming, I can’t use a headset and run the tactile feedback at the same time. I remember on my PS3 I could run a sony wireless headset and put the audio through my stereo which means you could run an amp or amps and shakers. That is no longer. I heard if you have a vr2 you can do it. Bit disappointing they removed that option.

I can’t quite pinpoint exactly why, but it just looks cheaper than the original design. It almost looks like a knockoff of the PS5. This was my very first thought when I saw it and even more-so after looking at it several more times. Just my opinion.
Regardless of whether or not you think it looks better or worse, definitely not worth going out and getting if you already have a PS5 in working condition. The size decrease and even internal storage increase is negligible. Though I suppose there could be a very niche group of people who move their PS5 from room to room, or travel with it, being smaller and lighter would be a benefit for those.

The only real upside to the new design I can see is if you get the digital edition and eventually regret not getting one with the disc drive you can now just add it on instead of buying a whole new console.

Back