Sound Update (PD is now hiring! + Email!)Answered 

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,262 comments
PD need to get its **** together in the sound department .

Here is a 350z in need for speed undrground 2 :

it still sounds much better than gt6 and its 10 years old!

There is no excuse for this PD!

Fingers crossed the hiring actually gets something done.

If you drive the X2014 Fan only below 7500 rpm or so (easier with the power limiter as low as it'll go, crazy tall gear ratios etc.), it sounds very much like a VQ / VR V6 exhaust note (stock manifolds, straight pipes). CFW users can swap the sound to the actual cars in the game, and get the benefit of not being locked to the crazy-fast sequential gear changes, but the rest of us will have to wait.

PD can already do it, something else is holding them back.

If you drive the X2014 Fan only below 7500 rpm or so (easier with the power limiter as low as it'll go, crazy tall gear ratios etc.), it sounds very much like a VQ / VR V6 exhaust note (stock manifolds, straight pipes). CFW users can swap the sound to the actual cars in the game, and get the benefit of not being locked to the crazy-fast sequential gear changes, but the rest of us will have to wait.

PD can already do it, something else is holding them back.

Actually, I've noticed with a lot of cars, if you stay under 5000rpm and doing WOT in a high gear, the cars sound almost exactly like their real life counter parts.

By the way @Griffith500, what's pitch shifting in Laymanns terms? 

Actually, I've noticed with a lot of cars, if you stay under 5000rpm and doing WOT in a high gear, the cars sound almost exactly like their real life counter parts.

It's essentially playing back the sample at a speed other than what it was recorded at, like the chipmunk or "slo-mo" effect:

What's wrong about it is how it shifts all frequencies indiscriminantly, when, in the context of engine sounds, you only want to shift some of them. Here's a brief description of it, and below is a visual demonstration of the effect on the sound spectrum.

I was just about to say that.
PD are halfway there, then

I was just about to say that.
PD are halfway there, then
Went looking for a cruise video to get some proof:

Whilst it is true that they sound better at low revs i still hear someone sitting in the back seat with a coffee grinder :D
I am impressed with the wind and ambient sounds though, wind sound is just as it should be at those speeds and when he gets overtaken by that Shelby in the tunnel at 3:40 the ambient sound of the other car sounded just like it should sound there.

Whilst it is true that they sound better at low revs i still hear someone sitting in the back seat with a coffee grinder :D
I am impressed with the wind and ambient sounds though, wind sound is just as it should be at those speeds and when he gets overtaken by that Shelby in the tunnel at 3:40 the ambient sound of the other car sounded just like it should sound there.

Perhaps it doesn't work on all cars:lol: because that sounds like something from 2001:scared: My coffee grinder sounds more exciting actually. :D

My coffee grinder sounds more exciting actually. :D
We'll need proof of that
teach.gif

That's a six-cylinder exhaust sound (sounds like a Nissan VQ V6), so it probably doesn't help! :crazy:

PD have put a lot of effort into the reproduction of a soundscape, and making sure everything fits into it in a believable way, as opposed to just blending textures together; they make great use of the surround mixing. That doesn't really shine through given the legacy samples, unfortunately, unless you get one of the good sets.

Online, the control data for the other players tends to be very low-res, so you lose that crisp smoothness to the sound, and I wonder what effect that would have on the new method...

It's been torture waiting for them to be able to really show-off what that early work, starting with GT5P, was all for.

If this has already been covered, I apologize, but back in the days of GT4, one thing that really got me excited was shifting down gears to hear the backfire of flames emitting from the pipes. In contrast to GT3 (where the effect was absent), it made certain high performance cars sound more enjoyable. It's the tiny details that make sound in racing games much more interesting.

What I'm trying to say is, the sounds of flames emitting from the pipes needs to be more prominent. Not exaggerated, but noticeably louder. I sense that shifting down gears in GT5 and GT6 is like stamping on a microscopic balloon... not that I've done so in my time, but it doesn't sound very backfirey does it? ;)

Das my vid

I think they should use already existing car sounds to replace other cars, for example, the Pagani Zonda C12 could replace the Lamborghini Murcielago's v10 sound. and they should use the skyline 350 v6 sound for other cars like the r32 golf, the ford gt40 lemans to replace the racing exaust sound of the classic muscle cars, and even replace the honda racing exausts with the redbull jr's sound. What do you guys think?

I think they should use already existing car sounds to replace other cars, for example, the Pagani Zonda C12 could replace the Lamborghini Murcielago's v10 sound. and they should use the skyline 350 v6 sound for other cars like the r32 golf, the ford gt40 lemans to replace the racing exaust sound of the classic muscle cars, and even replace the honda racing exausts with the redbull jr's sound. What do you guys think?

That's the best they could do. I doubt that PD, even with more sound engineers would be able to sample all the car sounds before GT7's release. Provided that cars sound somewhat like their real life counterparts, and are not miles out, I'll be more than happy.

One car that really needs its sound replacing is the Audi Sport Quattro S1 Rally Car. It sounds uncharacteristically weak.... There's the Audi R8 GT3 car that sounds exactly like the rally car. They should take that sound and transfer it over to the rally car. Job done! :D

The R8 GT3 car in GT6

The Quattro Rally Car (Sounds similar doesn't it?) I can only assume that engines in both cars are similar in design (someone who's familiar with Audi engines please tell me this is so :) )

That's the best they could do. I doubt that PD, even with more sound engineers would be able to sample all the car sounds before GT7's release. Provided that cars sound somewhat like their real life counterparts, and are not miles out, I'll be more than happy.

One car that really needs its sound replacing is the Audi Sport Quattro S1 Rally Car. It sounds uncharacteristically weak.... There's the Audi R8 GT3 car that sounds exactly like the rally car. They should take that sound and transfer it over to the rally car. Job done! :D

The R8 GT3 car in GT6

The Quattro Rally Car (Sounds similar doesn't it?) I can only assume that engines in both cars are similar in design (someone who's familiar with Audi engines please tell me this is so :) )
That Quattro rally car sound tho :drool: *eargasm*

I know maybe this question has been answered before.. but is this sound update gonna be for GT6 or with GT7??
I'm confused.
Thanks.

I know maybe this question has been answered before.. but is this sound update gonna be for GT6 or with GT7??
I'm confused.
Thanks.
Kaz originally stated that the sounds in GT6 "where just placeholders", so many were expecting it to be updated for GT6, but it seems that was just sales talk on his part before 6 was released... They only started acknowledging they need to work on sounds, and need more manpower to pull it off (hence the PD is now hiring part), so here's hoping GT7 will have decent sounds at last.

Don't expect anything for GT6 anymore.

The R8 GT3 car in GT6

Yeah, or they could just use one of the dodge vipers, I mean, they already do sound like a weak v10 ingame, which is equivalent to a real life audi 5 cylinder:lol:

There's no need for PD to do anything you guys mention.

The game already has the "new method" in it; it's incomplete at this stage, but it's there and working. It works exactly like my own synthesis method; both are members of a new class of internal combustion engine sound synthesis technique, prototyped, as far as I know, by the one in Live For Speed.

Once these start getting more sophisticated, we'll wonder how we ever thought samples were acceptable. Samples will still have their place, but not in a game like GT.

Don't reckon on an update to enable the rest of the features of the "new method" in GT6; we know the real goodies are due for GT7.

There's no need for PD to do anything you guys mention.

The game already has the "new method" in it; it's incomplete at this stage, but it's there and working. It works exactly like my own synthesis method; both are members of a new class of internal combustion engine sound synthesis technique, prototyped, as far as I know, by the one in Live For Speed.

Once these start getting more sophisticated, we'll wonder how we ever thought samples were acceptable. Samples will still have their place, but not in a game like GT.

Don't reckon on an update to enable the rest of the features of the "new method" in GT6; we know the real goodies are due for GT7.
Other games have good sounds why can't gt6? I'm pretty sure fh2's car sounds are the same for both xb360 and xbone so WHy can't gt6 have the same sounds as gt7?

Other games have good sounds why can't gt6? I'm pretty sure fh2's car sounds are the same for both xb360 and xbone so WHy can't gt6 have the same sounds as gt7?
Nobody said GT6 can't.

To answer your last question, re-read my post, and focus on the "new class of synthesis" part.

Nobody said GT6 can't.

To answer your last question, re-read my post, and focus on the "new class of synthesis" part.
Alright, also do you think they will demonstrate their improved way of implementing sounds into the game with the upcoming vision gt cars? the ft-1 was pretty nice.

Apparently since update 1.14 you can now hear echoes in the tunnels and the Subaru Viziv GT has a nice sound to it.

What has caught my attention is the new Onboard mic option. That I need to do some testing on.

Exams are finishing today so I think I'm gonna have some fun later:D

EDIT: I tried out the onboard mic settings and my first impressions are WOW. Though it doesn't make a huge difference, there is an actual difference. I tested it out with a Factory spec Subaru BRZ and I'm actually quite happy.

The Viziv GT Sound.... :bowdown:

Ey yo @Griffith500 , what's your view on this?

Last edited:
Regarding a possible sound update for GT6, all that's really missing now is an extra sound channel per car for intake sound. With that, the new exhaust method can have more realistic / sane settings, and the coarse distortion from the overdriven rasp effect can be toned down.

I saw hints of the changes brought in the 1.14 sound update in some of the strings exposed to CFW users. The community stuff was there as well, so it makes me hopeful some of the other goodies will make an appearance at some point.

The changes made clearly have the new sound synthesis method in mind.

Regarding a possible sound update for GT6, all that's really missing now is an extra sound channel per car for intake sound. With that, the new exhaust method can have more realistic / sane settings, and the coarse distortion from the overdriven rasp effect can be toned down.

I saw hints of the changes brought in the 1.14 sound update in some of the strings exposed to CFW users. The community stuff was there as well, so it makes me hopeful some of the other goodies will make an appearance at some point.

Your theory that the necessary stuff is already present; when did you first notice this and regarding on how difficult it is, how long you think it should take for a dev. team to release the beast? You've been mentioning this for quite a while already so i wonder if PD are slacking again (should it be true).

So does this mean your theories are correct then?

I did some more fooling around with the Viziv GT today and I have to say that even after the honeymoon period , I still think the car sounds great and is really close to the real deal Subaru Boxer Rumble. I did another test as well where I pretended that the redline of the car was about 7000rpm (Typical EJ series motor redline) and it sounds exactly like a Subaru engine under load.

I'm impressed with PD, I'm thoroughly impressed.

So does this mean your theories are correct then?

I did some more fooling around with the Viziv GT today and I have to say that even after the honeymoon period , I still think the car sounds great and is really close to the real deal Subaru Boxer Rumble. I did another test as well where I pretended that the redline of the car was about 7000rpm (Typical EJ series motor redline) and it sounds exactly like a Subaru engine under load.

I'm impressed with PD, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Still sounds very digitized to me, and like they mixed it with the rumble from Senna's Ralt Toyota.

Still sounds very digitized to me, and like they mixed it with the rumble from Senna's Ralt Toyota.

Yeah the top end right after 8000rpm sounds like the Ralt or the X2010 Junior but it still sounds good.
Drive it like a normal Impreza with a 7000rpm redline and it doesn't sound digitized. This I can see it's been recorded and mixed well.

Yeah the top end right after 8000rpm sounds like the Ralt or the X2010 Junior but it still sounds good.
Drive it like a normal Impreza with a 7000rpm redline and it doesn't sound digitized. This I can see it's been recorded and mixed well.
Dunno, just mixing the sound of one car with another to get another sample for another... DJ Kaz? :D

Back