Sound Update (PD is now hiring! + Email!)Answered 

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,262 comments
Well, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 was supposed to sound like these videos below, right?

Is because it's very strange the fact the Bugatti sounding like a V8...

Digitized and like driving in a tunnel even though it's out in the open. A small step but still a long way to go.

yup, sad that GT fans found that the metallic digital grinder of the vision Subaru is really worth it... especially when you got that from simple modders on Assetto Corsa... Sublissima!!! Hear Kaz... that's the sound of a Miura!

yup, sad that GT fans found that the metallic digital grinder of the vision Subaru is really worth it...

Maybe because it actually DOES sound like a Subaru despite the fact that it's on 8 year old hardware?

The "limitations" argument; never get tired of that one. Need I remind you of the numerous racing games last generation that does sounds better than GT? Only GT players seem to think these minor improvements are something awesome.

Which of those numerous games have comparable graphics, dynamic lighting, time change, weather and physics models?

Which of those numerous games have comparable graphics, dynamic lighting, time change, weather and physics models?
You got me there. :dunce: But it's not exactly smooth, is it? GT6 has it's fair share of hiccups and for some people, it's bothersome.

The "limitations" argument; never get tired of that one. Need I remind you of the numerous racing games last generation that does sounds better than GT? Only GT players seem to think these minor improvements are something awesome.

To add to @jimipitbull 's question: Which one uses the new system that GT uses to produce sounds? Despite it being in its preliminary stages.

Only because "other games" like DiRT 3 , GRiD, Forza etc are sample based

@Andrescalvo what do you mean?

To add to @jimipitbull 's question: Which one uses the new system that GT uses to produce sounds? Despite it being in its preliminary stages.
That's @Griffith500 theory, and as much as i like to believe him, i don't understand a word of his technical talk and i'm sure i'm not the only one here.

PD are voluntarily small in staff, and are known to be copy pasting stuff over to their next games just so they can increase the numbers (standard cars, career mode, AI, sounds... still haven't been replaced even though that's long overdue), so i will have to see this revolution in sound design before i believe it.

I hope this new method for the generation of sound using DSP is in an early stage of development. With the Subaru hear some improvements but still sounds metallic and digitized for my taste.
This new method without the limitations of the ps3 can be a substantial improvement over all heard so far. But again, now is far from competition based on samples

8 year old Hardware = old, therefore limitations

this is 8 years old and it sounded already 1000th better than GT... just saying... and at launch the PS3 had better specs than many powerful PCs.

this is 8 years old and it sounded already 1000th better than GT... just saying... and at launch the PS3 had better specs than many powerful PCs.

Yes and ironically, it's not even an official car, it's produced by a member of the community, making it all the more stunning that literally a guy working in his basement with samples he likely clipped from some videos he found somewhere, could produce better results than 15 years of GT development worth, also literally, $hundreds of millions.

yup, sad that GT fans found that the metallic digital grinder of the vision Subaru is really worth it

Maybe I'm seeing things, but didn't you say something similar when the Senna content came out and everyone went crazy for the Lotus 97T? I get that you find GT6 sounds woefully lacking in camparison to PC sims but for someone who hugely prefer PC sims solely on sound (at least that's the impression you five me), you still post about it. Not sure why you care anymore if you are seemingly convinced PD won't ever get it right?

Maybe I'm seeing things, but didn't you say something similar when the Senna content came out and everyone went crazy for the Lotus 97T? I get that you find GT6 sounds woefully lacking in camparison to PC sims but for someone who hugely prefer PC sims solely on sound (at least that's the impression you five me), you still post about it. Not sure why you care anymore if you are seemingly convinced PD won't ever get it right?
Because like the rest of us, he's still entitled to post his opinion over and over until he's blue in the face. One could ask you the same question. Why do you care that @Dude27 still cares? See what I did there?:sly:

Because like the rest of us, he's still entitled to post his opinion over and over until he's blue in the face. One could ask you the same question. Why do you care that @Dude27 still cares? See what I did there?:sly:

I do indeed, but its not so much about him having the right to post so much as it is the point when he seems convinced nothing will happen. Just a question really.

BTW, Avatar is spot on :lol:

Everyone's just used to the weird sounds of samples; either that, or they can't actually hear the oddities. I find them more unnatural sounding than PD's new method in its current form. Once those kinds of systems gain momentum, well wonder how we put up with these warbling loops for so long.

PD's method is designed to sidestep the content problem and was developed by a couple of people (it's technically code, not content). It should be a little more hi-fi on PS4.

Decent in outside view goddamn bad on inside view.

I think that sampling would be the best way to go, but on ps3 it's impossible. I wonder what they'll go for on gt7. Sound generation will never be as good as proper sampling.

I think that sampling would be the best way to go, but on ps3 it's impossible. I wonder what they'll go for on gt7. Sound generation will never be as good as proper sampling.
Well then you're in for a disappointment because it looks like they're tending towards sound generation if @Griffith500 is right.

Last edited:
As amazing as the effort has been with samples, you can't escape the fact that the one huge hurdle with them is that they are captured in time like pictures and video. They are not interactive or reactive, which is the massive benefit that Sound Generation brings.

Here's what I feel is one of the more clear examples of something that can be done in real-time:

I know I post these a lot, but these tend to serve as perfect examples of what a real-time system could do in comparision to captured samples.

Here's two attempts (that I know of) at duplicating that using samples:

I will say that these were not bad efforts, but unfortunately again are limited when it comes to samples. Where the sound is constantly interacting with the driver's inputs in the real life video, the sound mods in those videos are limited to a specific length of operation.

Sonory would beg to differ.

The output format currently is a huge sample bank, but those samples are 100% synthetic.

The only thing preventing that in real time for the time being is computational power. That is indeed why the sound generation on PS3 is a bit lo-fi, although it's worse than it should be due to a lack of intake.

this is probably a stupid question but... is there any signs of gear change sounds being updated so it could sound more convincing ? i mean everytime i downshift or upshift, the gear changes too fast and the sound sounds weird.

this is probably a stupid question but... is there any signs of gear change sounds being updated so it could sound more convincing ? i mean everytime i downshift or upshift, the gear changes too fast and the sound sounds weird.
That'd have to come with an update to the drivetrain simulation itself, in my opinion. That includes depth, of the interacting physical parts, and breadth, of the various types of gearbox and drivetrain to be found on all the different cars.

Adding support for a clutch button on appropriate cars would be interesting.

The razor edged throttle blips and ultra rapid gear changes do ruin the overall aesthetic.

That'd have to come with an update to the drivetrain simulation itself, in my opinion. That includes depth, of the interacting physical parts, and breadth, of the various types of gearbox and drivetrain to be found on all the different cars.

Adding support for a clutch button on appropriate cars would be interesting.

The razor edged throttle blips and ultra rapid gear changes do ruin the overall aesthetic.

Hope they do it for GT7.

Hope they do it for GT7.
Presumably it'll be part of their sound generation package. Sure would be nice to drive a host of race cars with a more realistic tranny whine, downshift etc.

So in theory if they done the Viziv sound with a synthesizer/new method couldn't they update (create) the sound of all other cars the same way ?

That could be the "GT6 sound update" right ? Seems more possible than updating the samples.

So in theory if they done the Viziv sound with a synthesizer/new method couldn't they update (create) the sound of all other cars the same way ?

That could be the "GT6 sound update" right ? Seems more possible than updating the samples.
More than likely the system is not ready for primetime to coin a phrase, and may not fit in it's entirety on the already overcrowded PS3. It would also make sense at this point to keep such a revolutionairy system for release on the PS4 for marketing purposes and the aforementioned technical reasons.

Presumably it'll be part of their sound generation package. Sure would be nice to drive a host of race cars with a more realistic tranny whine, downshift etc.
The transmission whine in itself is OK. More detailed drivetrain simulation will liven it up a bit. New overrun sounds, handled procedurally, would also be awesome - it's pretty easy to do once you've got a working exhaust tract, as PD has.

Without a separate intake sound source in the game, an update containing realistic exhaust tunings will still sound thin and incomplete. That's partially why all the AES enabled cars sound so dirty.

I expect the absence of intake is because it has to be handled as a separate source, which adds to an already significantly high number of sources in the game, which need to be buffered and processed. Interestingly, the removal of the speed of sound "simulation" in 1.14 may have freed up a little bit of both of those things...

Back