Spec GTP: Formula Mazda - Series Complete!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 272 comments

Stock or Tuned? Which tracks would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh yeah, Daylight Savings...

I'll figure it out when I wake up tomorrow. I'd say the current goal is the same time as previous week's (20:00 GMT). Spa it is, dry though.

Oh yeah, Daylight Savings...

I'll figure it out when I wake up tomorrow. I'd say the current goal is the same time as previous week's (20:00 GMT). Spa it is, dry though.
If GMT doesn't change like it does in the states, we moved an hour ahead. So instead of 2pm central time standard being 20:00 GMT, it will now be 3pm. 💡

We switched last night, so it'll be 4PM for me instead of 3. Which is great, since I definitely slept in!

Ready!

So we're starting practice at 20:15 then? Still planning on the longer race or cut that back to ~45min to keep total time similar?

Made a low downforce tune cause I didn't fancy being left for dead on the straights, but it really is no faster for me laptime wise than my high downforce one... Still undecided which one I'll be deploying in the race.

Room is up, practice will be five laps, starting in a few minutes. Race length will be somewhere between 18 and 20 laps, depending on qualifier lap times.

I've got a storm blowing outside. My whole house blinked on and off. The TV and Xbox both shut down. The TV is back on, but the Xbox refuses to start.

Xbox is back up but I still can't get in the game. It keeps timing out at "connecting to game server."

It's hopeless. I keep restarting and it keeps timing out. I've rebooted three times. It's refusing to let me in.

I'm sorry but I'm still at this holiday house with my wife and her family so I'll be missing out. I thought we'd be back last night but we'll only be leaving today afternoon. Also I won't be premiering my super duper cool livery :(

Have a great race guys. Enjoy. :cheers:

Sorry about the start at Eau Rouge @prousonhairy I saw the car was lagging and then it disappeared from my view so I thought it was safe to advance, until it reappeared :(.

Congrats on the win @GTracer38 well deserved and my driving was just way too inconsistent today to mount any kind of challenge even if I made it out of Eau Rouge unscathed, although I did pull off a decent lap at some point in there so I was pleased with that. Maybe adding Mr. Bump from the Mr. Men to my car was not the greatest of ideas :lol:.

Thanks for putting this series together @SlipZtrEm it's been good fun racing with you guys 👍.

Race 1 Results:
1st: @Im_Lukas - 20 points
2nd: @GTracer38 - 15 points
3rd: @ImaRobot - 11 points
4th: @SlipZtrEm - 8 points
5th: @ClydeYellow - 6 points
6th: @Populuxe Cowboy - 5 points
7th: @VXR - 4 points
8th: @prousonhairy - 3 points
9th: @HighSeasHoMastr - 2 points

Race 2 Results:
2nd: @SlipZtrEm - 15 points
3rd: @HighSeasHoMastr - 11 points
4th: @prousonhairy - 8 points
5th: @Populuxe Cowboy - 6 points

Race 3 Results:
2nd: @HighSeasHoMastr - 15 points
3rd: @SlipZtrEm - 11 points
4th: @ClydeYellow - 8 points
5th: @prousonhairy - 6 points

Race 4 Results:
1st: @GTracer38 - 20 points
2nd: @HighSeasHoMastr - 15 points
3rd: @SlipZtrEm - 11 points
4th: @ClydeYellow - 8 points
5th: @prousonhairy - 6 points

Standings after Race 4:
1st: @Im_Lukas - 60 points
2nd: @SlipZtrEm - 45 points
3rd: @HighSeasHoMastr - 41 points
4th: @GTracer38 - 35 points
5th: @prousonhairy - 23 points
6th: @ClydeYellow - 22 points
7th: @ImaRobot - 11 points
7th: @Populuxe Cowboy - 11 points
9th: @VXR - 4 points

Race 5 Results:
1st: @GTracer38 - 20 points
2nd: @SlipZtrEm - 15 points
3rd: @Im_Lukas - 11 points
4th: @HighSeasHoMastr - 8 points
5th: @ClydeYellow - 6 points
6th: @prousonhairy - 5 points

Standings after Race 5:
1st: @Im_Lukas - 71 points
2nd: @SlipZtrEm - 60 points
3rd: @GTracer38 - 55 points
4th: @HighSeasHoMastr - 49 points
5th: @prousonhairy - 28 points
5th: @ClydeYellow - 28 points

That was quite an event! Lukas already pretty much had the series victory on account of showing up today, since six folks racing meant even me winning and him coming last would've resulted in a joint series championship. @prousonhairy's car was lagging off the first lap, and I think that's what collected @Im_Lukas in the accident, not so much anything else. Accidents happen. :)

It set the tone for a comeback of epic proportions for Lukas. After passing @ClydeYellow, I knew I couldn't keep up with @GTracer38, so settled in trying to work on consistency in second. Watching the distance-marker battle between @HighSeasHoMastr and Lukas, I figured I could keep a hold on second by the end of the 18 laps, just based on the distances they were making on me each lap. Little did I know how quick Lukas would become after he passed HSHM, though: he pulled a low 2:21 out mid-race, erasing 500ft of my advantage in a single lap! :eek:

Sure enough, Lukas was on my tail with three full laps to go. I tried to hold him off for a bit, but recognizing it was slowing us both down, I eased off on the straight after Eau Rouge and let him through. Shortly after at Pouhon, I watched him overcorrect on the corner exit and spear barrier-wards. I then had two full laps to just maintain, where I finally set some clean laps after a bunch of stupid mistakes each and every one before. If the race had been 19 or 20 laps, I've no doubt Lukas would've caught me again though, since he was making up space right up to the end.

Out of curiosity, here's what the results would be if those that appeared at every event dropped their worst single race result:

Standings after Race 5 (with worst result dropped):
1st: @Im_Lukas - 71 points
2nd: @GTracer38 - 55 points
3rd: @SlipZtrEm - 52 points
4th: @HighSeasHoMastr - 47 points
5th: @ClydeYellow - 28 points
6th: @prousonhairy - 25 points

Thanks to everybody that showed up and raced, it was a lot of fun. I'm not sure I'm the person to run a series on a regular basis, but this was a great acid test on if it can be done in this section. :cheers:

Spec GTP: Formula Mazda
Round 5 - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - Gran Prix Circuit - Day
We started with almost a full grid for this one, with @ClydeYellow on pole, followed by @prousonhairy on the front row, behind that were @SlipZtrEm, @HighSeasHoMastr, @Im_Lukas, and @GTracer38 filling out the field.
GetPhoto.ashx

Into the first corner @Im_Lukas went up the inside of everyone coming out second, while @ClydeYellow tried to make his escape:
GetPhoto.ashx

@SlipZtrEm , @GTracer38 , and I found out that you can't go 3-wide through Eau Rouge, wth me running very wide to avoid an incident. @Im_Lukas and @prousonhairy were not so fortunate, with a lag-induced coming together putting both of them into the wall at the top of the hill:
GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

@GTracer38 had gotten @SlipZtrEm in that move though, and was now chasing down @ClydeYellow at a fearsome rate:
GetPhoto.ashx

before finally making his move on the back straight:
GetPhoto.ashx

This left me and @SlipZtrEm chasing @ClydeYellow and trying not to let @GTracer38 get too far ahead:
GetPhoto.ashx

@SlipZtrEm finally made a move stick similar to the one @GTracer38 had put on, going around the outside at Courbe Paul Frere:
GetPhoto.ashx

I tried to follow him through in La Source, getting an over-under move working:
GetPhoto.ashx

Unfortuantely for me, @ClydeYellow is borderline suicidally brave, and decided to try and hold it the long way around Eau Rouge:
GetPhoto.ashx

I ran out of courage before he did and eased off slightly, giving him the spot back. I chased the gap back down that lap, and the next time through La Source I tried again. We were side-by-side into Eau Rouge but this time I kept my foot in it, and @ClydeYellow just had a little bit of a twitch, which let me get through:
GetPhoto.ashx

This set up several laps of not a lot happening, except @Im_Lukas absolutely flying to catch back up. He caught and quickly dispatched @ClydeYellow coming out of Courbe Paul Frere:
GetPhoto.ashx

And proceeded to put a carbon-copy of that move on me a few laps later!
GetPhoto.ashx

Fortunately for me he made a slight mistake through Blanchimont and I got along side him into the chicane, re-passing him on the drag race out of it:
GetPhoto.ashx

That's right, I made a racing pass on @Im_Lukas!!!!!!!!!!
blEgLd.png

But...he copied my move on @ClydeYellow in La Source and got me on the run down to Eau Rouge.
GetPhoto.ashx

So my victory there lasted about thirty seconds. Oh well.

Also, right after that my replay corrupts, so I have no more pictures.

The rest of the race was nothing spectacular, other than as @SlipZtrEm said with @Im_Lukas passing him and then making a mistake that saw him come home in third. I caught some fairly massive air through Eau Rouge on the last lap when I nearly clipped the wall on the inside at the top of the hill, and I was hoping to get a picture of that, but alas.

Anyways, great race once again, and a pretty great series on the whole. Hopefully we can get another one going soon, this was really fun!

Spec GTP: Formula Mazda
Round 5 - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - Gran Prix Circuit - Day
We started with almost a full grid for this one, with @ClydeYellow on pole, followed by @prousonhairy on the front row, behind that were @SlipZtrEm, @HighSeasHoMastr, @Im_Lukas, and @GTracer38 filling out the field.
GetPhoto.ashx

Into the first corner @Im_Lukas went up the inside of everyone coming out second, while @ClydeYellow tried to make his escape:
GetPhoto.ashx

@SlipZtrEm , @GTracer38 , and I found out that you can't go 3-wide through Eau Rouge, wth me running very wide to avoid an incident. @Im_Lukas and @prousonhairy were not so fortunate, with a lag-induced coming together putting both of them into the wall at the top of the hill:
GetPhoto.ashx

GetPhoto.ashx

@GTracer38 had gotten @SlipZtrEm in that move though, and was now chasing down @ClydeYellow at a fearsome rate:
GetPhoto.ashx

before finally making his move on the back straight:
GetPhoto.ashx

This left me and @SlipZtrEm chasing @ClydeYellow and trying not to let @GTracer38 get too far ahead:
GetPhoto.ashx

@SlipZtrEm finally made a move stick similar to the one @GTracer38 had put on, going around the outside at Courbe Paul Frere:
GetPhoto.ashx

I tried to follow him through in La Source, getting an over-under move working:
GetPhoto.ashx

Unfortuantely for me, @ClydeYellow is borderline suicidally brave, and decided to try and hold it the long way around Eau Rouge:
GetPhoto.ashx

I ran out of courage before he did and eased off slightly, giving him the spot back. I chased the gap back down that lap, and the next time through La Source I tried again. We were side-by-side into Eau Rouge but this time I kept my foot in it, and @ClydeYellow just had a little bit of a twitch, which let me get through:
GetPhoto.ashx

This set up several laps of not a lot happening, except @Im_Lukas absolutely flying to catch back up. He caught and quickly dispatched @ClydeYellow coming out of Courbe Paul Frere:
GetPhoto.ashx

And proceeded to put a carbon-copy of that move on me a few laps later!
GetPhoto.ashx

Fortunately for me he made a slight mistake through Blanchimont and I got along side him into the chicane, re-passing him on the drag race out of it:
GetPhoto.ashx

That's right, I made a racing pass on @Im_Lukas!!!!!!!!!!
blEgLd.png

But...he copied my move on @ClydeYellow in La Source and got me on the run down to Eau Rouge.
GetPhoto.ashx

So my victory there lasted about thirty seconds. Oh well.

Also, right after that my replay corrupts, so I have no more pictures.

The rest of the race was nothing spectacular, other than as @SlipZtrEm said with @Im_Lukas passing him and then making a mistake that saw him come home in third. I caught some fairly massive air through Eau Rouge on the last lap when I nearly clipped the wall on the inside at the top of the hill, and I was hoping to get a picture of that, but alas.

Anyways, great race once again, and a pretty great series on the whole. Hopefully we can get another one going soon, this was really fun!
Great write up and some awesome pictures of the race! Well done. 👍

Even though I never presented much of a threat to any of you guys in this series, I still had lots of fun. Thanks @SlipZtrEm for putting this together. I will always be up for doing something like this again. :cheers:

Last edited:
Always enjoy reading your write ups and seeing the photos @HighSeasHoMastr and now I've learnt the name of my favourite passing place "Courbe Paul Frere" however odd a place that might seem :lol:. I did struggle an awful lot with Blanchimont when around other cars though, trying not to cut them off on entry which ended up with me running wide and getting slightly out of control.

When @SlipZtrEm let me pass (I was slightly disappointed :P until I crashed :lol:) and I messed up at Pouhon I was actually having a quick check behind to see where he was, and in the mean time had drifted too far to the inside of the corner and clipped the grass :dunce:, this was one of them moments sim steering's twitchiness made it worse than it should have been as I was completely unprepared for sudden sliding. Had I been looking the correct way while driving I probably would have kept it off the grass and hopefully facing the right way.

And I'm always up for racing, whether it be series, one-off events or just casual lobby racing :cheers:.

I was disappointed I couldn't make it this weekend. I tried but the server didn't want me in it. I had fun the two races I was able to make, though, and I appreciate @SlipZtrEm doing this. I have an idea for doing a single race next weekend. I'm thinking about those five Grand Prix cars from 1966/7 that are in the game. They are very close on performance. If I can come up with a max PP that allows them all to be competitive, would anyone be interested?

I was disappointed I couldn't make it this weekend. I tried but the server didn't want me in it. I had fun the two races I was able to make, though, and I appreciate @SlipZtrEm doing this. I have an idea for doing a single race next weekend. I'm thinking about those five Grand Prix cars from 1966/7 that are in the game. They are very close on performance. If I can come up with a max PP that allows them all to be competitive, would anyone be interested?
I'd be interested in it.

I'm thinking about those five Grand Prix cars from 1966/7 that are in the game. They are very close on performance. If I can come up with a max PP that allows them all to be competitive, would anyone be interested?

I'd say that leaving them stock would be the best option. Maybe the McLaren could use a bit of extra power.

P.S: I was thinking, maybe we could organize a longer series, and have a European and an American leg set at times that (within a reasonable margin) are more favorable towards European or American players? That way, those who have busy schedules can partecipate only to the leg of the championship they're more comfortable with, while people willing to commit more fully can take part to the whole championship anyways.

As for VIR, it could be a non-championship race? It could actually be useful as a series opening to see how well the formula works, regardless of what kind of cars we decide to race.

Last edited:
I'd say that leaving them stock would be the best option. Maybe the McLaren could use a bit of extra power.
Either that or maybe just stick the @Im_Lukas speed people in the McLaren.

P.S: I was thinking, maybe we could organize a longer series, and have a European and an American leg set at times that (within a reasonable margin) are more favorable towards European or American players? That way, those who have busy schedules can partecipate only to the leg of the championship they're more comfortable with, while people willing to commit more fully can take part to the whole championship anyways.
I like this idea. If there was enough people interested, then it probably could be done but if it's going to be predominantly the same we've had in the FMazda's then the current time slot probably includes everyone the best.

As for VIR, it could be a non-championship race? It could actually be useful as a series opening to see how well the formula works, regardless of what kind of cars we decide to race.
Sounds like a good idea. I'll sort out something today, but maybe just run a bunch of short races at VIR and test a bunch of series builds to see which ones work, which need adjusting and which are what people want.

Latest Posts

Back