Spec II - Master licences

Which aspect about it do you find particularly difficult? Because I don't remember thinking at the time that it was more difficult than any of the other IA tests.

S4, and the rally ones in general, are strange. People either find them really easy or really difficult. I am in the latter group. I think I spent like 3 hours on S4 alone. And when I got gold, I think I beat the gold time by 0.050 seconds. It looks like it should be easy, because the demo beat the gold time by like 2 seconds. For rallying in GT7, I think you either "get" the handling physics or you don't. I am firmly in the "don't" category.

I did not find S10 particularly difficult though. The demo only beat the gold time by like 2 or 3 tenths. I beat the gold time by over half a second, and it didn't even take that long. So I guess technically S10 should be harder than S4, but that was not my experience. To give you an idea, it took me longer to get gold on S4 than getting gold on all the rest of the S tests combined.
It's more just struggling to get a near perfect run. I can nail most of it then **** up the last corner, or I'll have a shocker and smash that last turn.

IA 1 is hell to try to gold, there is a lot you have to learn with speed and agility here at Michelin Raceway. The reward is promising though so maybe a good couple hours of different runs will help me fight it through.
I can understand you quite well, this test also challenged me a little more than many others.

Basically, one of the things that this test needs to understand is where the difficulties really lie and how they can be compensated for as optimally as possible.

I've had a break for a few months now and am a bit rusty. I've even run a few TimeTrials with the controller in the meantime to try and harvest some gold.

For the Skyline and other vehicles, the most important criterion is the tires. You are driving on very "bad" / hard tires, these tires have a general problem with grip and are overwhelmed very quickly. Especially when braking, you can quickly push the tires past their limit, then the tire also loses its cornering force and the car becomes uncontrollable.
Try to brake a little earlier, but with significantly less brake pressure. If you notice that the car is not moving smoothly, release the brake a little, stabilize the car and then slow down again.
Avoid shifting into a low gear too early, otherwise the tires will quickly be overwhelmed and the car will slide over the rear.

The tests that always put a smile on my face are the rain tests. So far I have only needed 2-3 attempts at these to get a feel for the car and then I immediately achieved gold.

The Ferrari in Tokyo was also mentioned, here it is very helpful to let the car "glide" more, to drive in higher gears and to be careful with the gas. The car tends to initially understeer as soon as you accelerate and then oversteer. Here too, the tires and adhering to the grip limits for lateral stability are the key to victory.

Unfortunately I haven't found time for the S tests yet, but I'm very excited.

On the NSX in Suzuka, more careful and much less braking than usual. It also helps to NOT completely release the accelerator pedal when braking, so the car remains more stable when braking. The last two corners are very suitable for driving a very slight "power drift / powerslide" and then accelerating with feeling. The alignment of the steering wheel is important, very small steering angles are necessary here, as the car aligns itself wonderfully using the accelerator pedal leaves.

I achieved gold on all tests and S-5 was most difficult for me. I enjoyed snow track quite a bit but the combination of sliding a lot and the fact that you can’t touch the wall makes it hard. Other S tests were not hard but some of them were frustrating (crawling through tracks with heavy, unresponsive or slow cars like XJ220 or Daytona). S-10 is definitely little harder that other tests, but driving that formula on Suzuka is very enjoyable, I will definitely come back to S-10 just to have more fun.

Overall master licence offers wide variety of tests, everybody struggle with some cars and tracks more than with others and that is the reason why many people say difficulty is all over the place. I think the difficulty is set right, you just really feel when the test is a combination of car and track you are not used too.

Last edited:
I love the new tests but most of the times the sports tyres are used which offer so less grip. The tests should allow us to be aggressive but because of the sports tyres, we have to drive with controlled aggression which doesn't necessarily make us push to our maximum.

I love the new tests but most of the times the sports tyres are used which offer so less grip. The tests should allow us to be aggressive but because of the sports tyres, we have to drive with controlled aggression which doesn't necessarily make us push to our maximum.
I think that actually defeats the purpose of the tests...

I mean, I think driving with controlled aggression is needed.

Last edited:
You can push to your maximum with car on less grippy tires. The fact that the car is unstable and slides doesn´t make it easy. You have to find the limit of grip and keep the car stable which can be challenging. I don’t think soft tires would make the tests harder and you already have plenty of challenges in the game where you use soft tires and grippy cars like the Red bull X / formula / Group 1 races, or some circuit experiences and time trials.

You can push to your maximum with car on less grippy tires. The fact that the car is unstable and slides doesn´t make it easy. You have to find the limit of grip and keep the car stable which can be challenging. I don’t think soft tires would make the tests harder and you already have plenty of challenges in the game where you use soft tires and grippy cars like the Red bull X / formula / Group 1 races, or some circuit experiences and time trials.
That I understand Mate the pretext of these tests. It's not that they want you to go plain out fast but keep the car under control on those tyres & try to achieve the best possible time. It's testing a different skill of controllability & precision.

That I understand Mate the pretext of these tests. It's not that they want you to go plain out fast but keep the car under control on those tyres & try to achieve the best possible time. It's testing a different skill of controllability & precision.
Yep it’s like you are saying. I really think they went this way because pushing with cars on soft tires and requirement of pinpoint precision is already present in the game on various places. It’s a long time I did circuit experiences, but I still remember Suzuka and Mount Panorama, those were pretty hard even though you used grippy and stable car.

Finished golding all the Master-B license tests last night and started working on the IA tests. Some of those got golded on the first or second try. The Ferrari one isn't so much challenging as it is just a matter of remembering where you need to brake and how aggressive you can be on exiting a blind corner. I was able to nearly gold it on my first few tries, but need to spend a bit more time gaining confidence on those last couple turns to keep the throttle down and gold will be had. The snow one in the Focus also just requires a bit better corner entry and I'll drop that extra 1-2 hundreths to get gold.

Spent 118.6 miles last night on MLS5, Louise, fiddled the Torque split around and did most of those miles on 40:60. Got within 4/100sec from gold. Tonight I ran a couple laps with the split at default 30:70, slapped it to 50:50, ran off 2-3 laps and got gold in 9.7miles of tries. Perhaps it's as @Marcus Garvey says here, mighta been the torque split change, probably a bit of both. Did another 26.5mot on S6 and got gold on that one. Can't say I'm a fan of that car much but, we got the job done. 4 more to that MP4/4. Sure hope there's no rain on any of them. Normal S10 took me months and a PSVR2.

Gonna have quite the roulette extravaganza the weekend of Thanksgiving. Got 27 tickets in the bank waiting. Will probably have another 9 or more by the time I get there. It's tempting to sink 3mil into that Toyota GR010 and finish off Extra Menu 30.

Couple tests were a pain in the a** but doable. Struggled rather long with the XJ220 on Grand Valley, but not as long as with the Corvette in M-IA (?). M-S10 was rather easy in my opinion. Still stuck with S5 though, i just dislike the snow and rally tracks in the game from the bottom of my heart. If I want do drive rally, i play Dirt. Maybe frustration speaking, but more than brone on that is not in sight.

I demolished all the Master B tests with gold except B-9, that one is blocking me. The second right turn is hard because it affects my speed and time.

I demolished all the Master B tests with gold except B-9, that one is blocking me. The second right turn is hard because it affects my speed and time.

Have you tried staying in 3rd gear for the last corner? This is what top10 does.

Got gold on the remaining IA ones I had (Mt Panorama, Lake Louis and the final at Nürburgring)

Also got gold on the first 2 Special.

No, see I have to brake early to not mess up and run off course in the grass/dirt.
Yeah, you got to stay in 3rd gear on that turn. 2nd gear drops your speed too much and causes the tires to spin up on exit, which could lead to a spin out or just slower acceleration out of the turn.

Edit: You also have to rely on the tires and their grip to naturally help slow the car down as you are on corner entry. I was having a lot of trouble with that turn because I would try to trail brake and use my brakes too much to slow the car, but I found that the tires still had pretty good grip at corner entry and I could leverage that to help slow the car while held the throttle to settle the suspension and rounded the corner.

Last edited:
I just looked up what Master B-9 was, and for some reason I have no recollection of ever doing it. I know I golded it, but it does not ring a bell at all.

Finally made gold on M S5.
It just takes a fair bit of practice, especially for the 3 long right handers and the final left hander to get the line, the braking and the speed right.
Nice challenge imo. Now just M S10 to go.

S10 is frustrating the hell out of me.

Still nearly 1.5 seconds off gold, and the harder I push the more mistakes I make.
Try using 3rd gear on corner exits, less wheel spin, less power lag between shifting, easily faster than the demo ghost most of the corners for me.

Last edited:
Try using 3rd gear on corner exits, less wheel spin, less power lag between shifting, easily faster than the demo ghost most of the corners for me.
18be470115d19-screenshotUrl.jpg

I never thought to switching it to manual, and after a bit to get the hang of it on this track you were right, it's so much quicker.

Might stick to always using manual now.

S8&9 golded. Barely in both cases. After 22mot in the Merc, that Aston is mental under braking on sport tires. Took 41mot at RBR to get that done. Had to stop mashing the P2P button and focus more on just driving. Damn thing would tear the tires off all the way through 5th once they broke loose. Does the electric spin up the fronts or only add torque to the rear? Couldn't really tell during this short session. Was way to concerned about braking early enough to make corner entry and not over punching it on exit. Disappointing 3* marathon ticket for tonight's effort.

S10 tomorrow.

Finished all the licenses.

Really don't think the Valkyrie is supposed to have overtake enabled in S9...

That said, pulling 10 car lengths on the demo ghost after turn 2 is hilarious.

Finished all the licenses.

Really don't think the Valkyrie is supposed to have overtake enabled in S9...

That said, pulling 10 car lengths on the demo ghost after turn 2 is hilarious.
For sure, I got gold first time without realising the overtake button was an option, they can't have intended us to use it. :D

I got gold on my first attempt on this one, I didn't watch a demo, just followed the ghost at 0.4sec ahead.

🏁 Took 76mot on ML-S10 last night. All done with getting gold on the Master Licenses. Don't remember watching any demos in this batch. Never have done these with ghosts, mine or otherwise. They've just got in the way of me learning the track & car combo.

Usually I'd do a "banker" lap first try to see where I stood. Almost always, would at least bronze, sometimes silver, on that banker. Several occasions I'd wonder where the hell I was gonna squeeze another 4/10ths, but always did find what I was missing. Only ones I think I ran past after I got gold were the snow tests. Those were just fun. I found myself grinning even when DQing. I did have to run the wheel torque setting down to 2 to keep it from overheating. It stopped working altogether on one occasion.
All done with G29 on a modded Wheelstand Pro and PSVR2.

Made some cr., saved myself at least 10m for that Mclaren and finished off Extra Menu 16. Gonna have quite the ticket opening extravaganza this coming weekend. Might have to buy some random cars to keep the cushion wide enough. There's 32 currently waiting since 31Oct. Might get a couple more before I open them all.

Appreciate all the tips I found in this thread. It definitely helped to read how others conquered these tests. At the least, it gave warning what I was in for. :cheers: :gtpflag:

It was interesting to read how the variety of combos affected the results in individual cases. The only one that really, really frustrated me was that non-turning Ferrari at Tokyo, MNA4. That one took me 2 sessions over 2 days to get done. The one that had me concerned most was the wet test at LeMans. Strangely, that one didn't take hardly any mots and I finished it, IA7 & 8 in one session. Basically, I did license tests until I had the daily workout miles in and finished whichever test I was on after I hit that mileage.

🏁 Took 76mot on ML-S10 last night. All done with getting gold on the Master Licenses. Don't remember watching any demos in this batch. Never have done these with ghosts, mine or otherwise. They've just got in the way of me learning the track & car combo.

Usually I'd do a "banker" lap first try to see where I stood. Almost always, would at least bronze, sometimes silver, on that banker. Several occasions I'd wonder where the hell I was gonna squeeze another 4/10ths, but always did find what I was missing. Only ones I think I ran past after I got gold were the snow tests. Those were just fun. I found myself grinning even when DQing. I did have to run the wheel torque setting down to 2 to keep it from overheating. It stopped working altogether on one occasion.
All done with G29 on a modded Wheelstand Pro and PSVR2.

Made some cr., saved myself at least 10m for that Mclaren and finished off Extra Menu 16. Gonna have quite the ticket opening extravaganza this coming weekend. Might have to buy some random cars to keep the cushion wide enough. There's 32 currently waiting since 31Oct. Might get a couple more before I open them all.

Appreciate all the tips I found in this thread. It definitely helped to read how others conquered these tests. At the least, it gave warning what I was in for. :cheers: :gtpflag:

It was interesting to read how the variety of combos affected the results in individual cases. The only one that really, really frustrated me was that non-turning Ferrari at Tokyo, MNA4. That one took me 2 sessions over 2 days to get done. The one that had me concerned most was the wet test at LeMans. Strangely, that one didn't take hardly any mots and I finished it, IA7 & 8 in one session. Basically, I did license tests until I had the daily workout miles in and finished whichever test I was on after I hit that mileage.
I'm currently on Master S6, taking a mini break from the license section, I heard that taking good breaks and resting well can refresh your mind and you will have a clearer aspect of driving on the track better and faster.

Got Silver at Master S-10. Even with my best effort, I still have 2 seconds difference from Gold.

I think I have to concede.

Those Master S tests are quite easy, compared to the original S10.

I have golded Master S9 et S10 first try, uber easy if like me you had gold on the same Time Trials.

Back