SPEED channel is now Fox Sports 1

• Thread starter Earth
  • 370 comments
ARCA will remain on FS1 as well, even though NBCSN is picking up more and more races for that series.

Not sure what FS1 will have during the summer starting next year. They'll have the truck series, of course, but there's no major ball sports unless they pick up more baseball coverage.

Well it seems every time I turn to FS1 for a motor sports update i only see people sitting behind a desk talking about sports, I guess Fox Sports could be called Fox Talk About Sports:grumpy:. With my son out of school on the weekends I USE to enjoy the fact that I could watch all 3 nascar series races I didn't get to watch on the weekend during the week with speed showing the replays:tup:. If I got a chance to watch Speed Center on Sunday night I could at least get a update within a hour, now if FS1 does show any highlights I have to listen to someone that knows nothing about ANY motor sports and can't even say the names right.
Oh we'll I guess, please don't tell me I don't get to watch the drag boats either because that will really suck. My six year old son always liked to watch if we were home so he could look for his dad on TV, guess he will be unhappy as well.
Bottom line I think Fox Sports 1, FS1, should stand for F•••••g stupid 1, there I'm done whining for now, have a good 1.

I tend to think of them as Fox Sports None, which suddenly gives me an idea for Photoshop :sly:

Welcome btw, new guy 👍

Race Hub is on right now...

Damn the only good show on & I missed it ill have to keep a eye open for times. The one time I did check FS1 for sports I got to see Ping Pong and I learned that they changed the size of the ball to 40MM so it would be more visible to the TV cameras so I could see it better. I think I've changed my mind it is a great sports channel, NOOOOOT.

Thanks for the welcome Racecar

They had MotoGP and Rolex on before but honestly the channel's a complete mess.

Nice to see Bob Varsha back on F1 on NBCsp though.

This thread's unofficial title may well be "Post Your Speedvision/Speed Memories Here." Motorsports have been mostly far and between on FOX Sports 1, but I could remember the dedication of Speedvision and Speed Channel on Tuesdays to motorcycles. The Speedvision days had Wednesdays as "Wings and Water Wednesdays"- devoted to watercraft and planes. I remebered seeing powerboat races and drag boat racing on Speedvision. And of course, even the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Boats on Speed Channel.

This FS1 deal is pathetic. I sometimes remember the channel is gone when it's certain times of the day- such as 7:00 PM on Sundays, usually the time I watch SPEED Center/News. College football season starts up this weekend, so I'm sure FS1 will be busy with college football. I think I read Adam Alexander (remember him, Speed fans?) will cover some college football action. Speed being killed off and reborn as FS1 is just the absolute end of an era. Tough to live as TV watchers if you love racing and miss Speed Channel. I just can't watch FS1 without remembering this used to be Speed Channel. Memories...

I just wanted to say how much I hate FS1. I love sports but I have ESPN, NFL network, FOX, NBC, etc. for that. I want a channel dedicated to cars/racing. RIP SPEED, you will be missed.

I just wanted to say how much I hate FS1. I love sports but I have ESPN, NFL network, FOX, NBC, etc. for that. I want a channel dedicated to cars/racing. RIP SPEED, you will be missed.

Here's something I rarely say and rarely use (because I don't understand it), but... this. I am watching FOX Sports 1 right now as a college sports fan, but I still think FOX killed Speed out of greed basically.

Let me share something from when I blogged about my thoughts on FS1. A report I read on the first weekend of FS1 noted that the 18-49 demographic was reportedly 25 times greater than the combined audiences of FOX Soccer Channel, Speed, and FUEL TV. Viewership was also 40 times greater among the 18-34 demographic and the 18-34 men's demographic of the combined audiences of FSC/Speed/FUEL. Those are all nice, but... us sheep of Speed got slaughtered. Remember- my problem with FS1 is in killing off Speed Channel and FUEL TV just to make FS1 happen. As much as I can complain, there's nothing any of us can do about it. Well... except loathe FS1 and/or FOX, of course.

I'll still be watching FS1 for the upcoming NASCAR Trucks race at Mosport. For most of us motorsports fans, we have no choice unless some other devoted motorsports network is formed or has better motorsports coverage. All I'd hate to see happen is watch a race and then get a breaking news alert about a Perfect Game or a No-Hitter being recorded.

If only the people with those Nielsen boxes were fans of 4-wheel & 2-wheel Motorsport. Only then by them turning off FSN would there be change. Or, if WE all wrote on their media pages demanding car racing.

One thing I forgot to mention from the FOX Sports 1 deal was that most of those ratings numbers I mentioned stemmed from UFC coverage on FS1's first weekend on the air. So the Ultimate Fighting Championship is FOX's meal ticket much like NASCAR was Speed's meal ticket.

It's been almost two weeks since the change but I still find myself looking for Speed in my channel guide so I can watch some NASCAR practice.

Last edited:
SPEED in itself was a good product, however its biggest failure was the fact it focused too much on NASCAR as oppose to being a channel dedicated to motorsports/motorsports news. If any I blame FOX for being too friendly with the France family.

SPEED in itself was a good product, however its biggest failure was the fact it focused too much on NASCAR as oppose to being a channel dedicated to motorsports/motorsports news. If any I blame FOX for being too friendly with the France family.

As much as I wish they had more non-NASCAR stuff, the fact they focused on it so much is what probably kept it around as long as it did.

SPEED in itself was a good product,

It was? It was all we had. Better than nothing but far from good.

Maybe I'm the only person who wasn't surprised and even thought "good riddance" when speed was announced to end.

Motorsport/racing more than three hours is not a viable broadcast product. Few sports can survive longer than that. Golf has some kind of religious following that gives it an odd exception (maybe its good background enjoyment for Sunday dinner). An endurance race over a few hours can't be a viable advertising product. So, that gets chopped up to use cheap ploys to maintain profit during odd hours. Then, consider how much Motorsport exists today. I've seen bikes racing on ice, lawnmower racing, boat racing, plane racing, and they do it in every way, shape and form. There aren't enough hours to show it all on one channel.

For me Speed had the money to hold rights to things that deserved better treatment. It also was often a higher tier channel, which prevented a chunk of the audience from watching. Racing needs a more accessible medium. But as long as Speed existed to hold rights to all the series it rarely happened.

Speed is dead. Good riddance. They forced me to go online to watch stuff they did show. Now I can just go online and not feel like I'm switching devices to watch one event. With Speed gone that opens the door to more choices to get the license to broadcast. Eventually online technology will be where everyone can enjoy streaming with full coverage.

Yes, we will have growing pains. FS1 will try to hold in to licenses and eventually screw it up with interruptions and/or delays. I figure for five years we will be in limbo and lament the loss of Speed.

After that, if things go right, we will look back and realize the only reason we liked Speed was because we suffered some variant of Stockholm Syndrome.

Ummmm, I still get SPEED. In fact, they're showing more races than ever before... :scared:

Am I missing something?

Well we've been talking about Speed Channel here in the US.

It is worth noting however now that you bring it up that Speed still exists in Canada (and to my surprise, in Austrailia).

Last edited:
I sure hope you don't. If that's on the programming list over there, that's just cruel.

Yes. And daily NASCAR race re-runs. No BTCC, no DTM, nothing good, really.

But, we get SPEED2.com advertisements... even though SPEED 2 isn't available in Canada. :grumpy:

As negative as Foolkiller's latest post may have sounded, he does have many points. You do have to consider the money aspect of stuff like airing racing on TV. Maybe it's true- TV just isn't good enough anymore for material a lot of us reallywant to see- especially racing. But likewise, not many of us want to keep up with the Kardashians or wonder what Honey Boo-Boo is up to.

So as much as it pains me to say it, maybe Speed's slaying is probably warranted. Since I am so old-fashioned, maybe I am just sad about how much TV has changed.

Switching the channel was one thing, but taking away Speedtv.com was an epic failure. That Fox Blog doeskin add up to nothing compared to Speedtv.com Speed2.com is still there running so why cant Speedtv.com not be?! :bangHead:Fox Sports !

Adam Alexander. Remember him? He was the guy who hosted SPEED Center as well as covering a few races for NASCAR on TNT. Well, I heard him as an announcer for the college football game between The College of William and Mary at West Virginia. I know I read he was going to cover some college sports games. And in so, I heard him cover the action. It is just different to go from motorsports to traditional sports. Even Bob Varsha covered Olympic events and some other non-racing sports before, and many of us regard him as one of the finest motorsports announcers (I especially am a fan of his).

Maybe I should learn a password or something so I could possibly see some online racing from SPEED2 from my parents' Dish. FOX Sports 1 is not really the biggest "f:censored: you," but how FOX handled FS1 that is the big "f:censored: you" to us racing fans. I am not counting down weeks or anything, but this is the second full week of FS1 now.

[UPDATE] Don't forget to see the Trucks take on Mosport tomorrow on FS1. From a lighthearted perspective, I try not to think about rFactor with FS1, especially if you are familiar with the FSONE Formula 1 racing rFactor mod series.

Last edited:
It took me till already missing the Moto Gp qualifying at Indy before I realized the Fox Sports 2 was the old Fuel TV channel. But that was on TWC!

SPEED stopped being a good product about 10 to 15 years ago. Go riddens to bad rubbish.

As a basic cable & a no computer guy (since I retired almost 4 yrs. ago) I'm still missing Speed, but I have to admit I did enjoy watching my Ducks yesterday, I'm in heaven right now with my 6yr old son as we are switching between ESPN 2 and yes FS1 with NHRA on ESPN 2 & the LODBR (drag boats)on FS1.
I get lucky once in awhile too I guess.
Still disappointed with the over all FS1 channel but like I said in heaven right now.
Hope all have a great Motorsport day.

Latest Posts

Back