Speedster502

Design + Photography
Premium
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Speedster502
Title.jpg

Introduction

Hi, I'm Speedster502 (Adam). I've been intrested in photography since Gran Turismo 4 was released, this was mainly due to its excellent "photomode" where it taught me the basics of the photography realm and essentially got me intrested in the whole hobby.

In late 2007, for my birthday I received my first ever digital camera, my previous camera had been a cheap almost disposable camera which was, frankly rubbish. However my first digital camera was hardly that. It was a Fuji Finepix F40fd, this camera taught me a lot. Just as I was getting used to my camera, after just less than a year of ownership, I upgraded. Again.

This time though, I moved to the camera's of my dreams. A D-SLR, thanks to GilesGutherie who offered my his old Canon 350D. I could hardly say no to such a offer. So from then on I started using a DSLR camera, over the past few years I've been to many events ranging from indoor car shows to full on FIA scale racing events. I'm not a professional, and any C&C is welcome on any shot. I frequently post a link to a full set on Flickr this is because I don't want to flood to forum with images, I urge you if you have time to check out the full uploaded sets, you may find something which you like, or find something else that I'm not aware of.

I Hope you enjoy my gallery!

Where else can my work be found?

Well all of my work is hosted on either Photobucket or Flickr and it is often posted on another photography forum.

Photography-On-The-Net
Flickr
Photobucket
DiecastXChange
Talk Photography
Red Bubble

2607697343_75af86a143.jpg

Click For Full Size

2608523962_1d18e742a1.jpg

Click For Full Size

2577509696_0e5b9661c7_o.jpg

2576677519_145f8bd829_o.jpg

2577509766_dede105e59_o.jpg

2625816060_884aab6a2c.jpg

Click For Full Size

2625821648_3c8cd011c9.jpg

Click For Full Size

2625828902_855e563e25.jpg

Click For Full Size

C&C Welcome.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
the effect of moving lights in the orange hanging Porsche is cool, i'll have to steal that idea from you (:

but I mean, not on the BG, but on the cr, the reflections in the paint look cool, I'll try to do something like that in a night shoot or something.

The first detail shot of the Porsche is your best, you should have tried to at least blur the car in the background so it wouldnt be as distracting.

The jet moving is also very good.

the effect of moving lights in the orange hanging Porsche is cool, i'll have to steal that idea from you (:

but I mean, not on the BG, but on the cr, the reflections in the paint look cool, I'll try to do something like that in a night shoot or something.

The first detail shot of the Porsche is your best, you should have tried to at least blur the car in the background so it wouldnt be as distracting.

The jet moving is also very good.

Thanks Cano, someone else came up with the idea for those lights and me and him actually implemented it, we also did some other ones of a Eurofighter Model which I might upload at a later date with my next batch of photo's from the RAF's families day, which included a car show area. Mainly of Japanese stuff, but still. :)

The first shot of the Porsche, I presume you mean the one of the rear of the Carrera with the water sitting on the grill? If so then your probably right about that, it's something I never considered but probably would improve the picture more. One of the probelms would have been for me is that I wouldn't have been able to blur it on site due to the fact I can't change those kind of settings with my little P&S so it would be a Photoshop blur, which isn't bax but doesn't do the same effect in my opinion to the degree that a real camera would.

Thanks for the comment on the moving Tornado, I was pleased with that and although I didn't say it, it was a shot I took using a DSLR camera (Nikon D2X) with a long lens on (About 300mm something like that). The picture was touched up in Photoshop but it wouldn't look right without the editing. Anyway, I hope I can get more comments from more people to hopefully improve my skills!

Well I'm back from a weekend of fun! Whilst a few of you Brit's were watching the F1 I was busy at a Audi dealer, infact Northampton's Audi dealer (👍 To them, some of the friendliest people I've ever met!). So I was busy taking pictures of an Audi R8 in appauling lighting conditions due to the glass surrounding it :indiff:

So first up in this update are the Audi shots, also if you guys want any wallpaper sizes just PM me and I'll send them across for you :) :

2650756156_826c6bf6f9_o.jpg

2649925299_c7eb363701_o.jpg

2649925127_7d6ddb4703_o.jpg

2650754464_2bf17284c9_o.jpg

2650754192_eacd29bb0b_o.jpg

Now for some randoms, including the only image you'll ever find of me :P

2650755762_6e026cfbdc_o.jpg

2663579888_44b5f90ea0.jpg

2649924147_ed79e5436e_o.jpg

Enjoy.

:cheers:

EDIT: The shots should be sorted now, stupid Flickr playing around with me.

Not to be harsch or anything, but you've got it more for real photography than GT4 photography :D

Really, I love your shots, awesome quality 👍

Only thing is that R8 shot with the gearstick; it would be nice to see just a tad more of the interior, while still having that focus on the stick 👍

Nice work though, I'll keep an eye out for your updates :cheers:

Not to be harsch or anything, but you've got it more for real photography than GT4 photography :D

Really, I love your shots, awesome quality 👍

Only thing is that R8 shot with the gearstick; it would be nice to see just a tad more of the interior, while still having that focus on the stick 👍

Nice work though, I'll keep an eye out for your updates :cheers:

Thanks Bram! Personally I prefer real photography now anyway, a much wider range of subjects in real life.

I agree with you on the gear stick shot, I just needed to elevate the camera slightly lower to make it perhaps slightly more intresting. I'll take your comment on board and when I go to my next Audi dealer I'll try and rectify that :D

U guys and real life photos, U really enjoy it :lol:

U are talented Speed, no doubt. I enjoyed a lot thar orange GT, what happened?:lol:

I will continue on GT4 photography, so U know where to find me:)

NTX

Alright some of your flickr-hosted shots are AWOL, but I'll comment on the ones that are still visible. Many of your shots are closeups and tight crops, which I don't know too much about, but I'll still use my school-taught 2D design knowledge to help you with composition and whatnot.

C4S - Okay, you found a nice tight angle here that seems to have decent layout and composition. I don't really dig this shot because I have no idea what you're trying to show me. Is it the raindrops? The louvres over the motor? The Carrera 4S badge? This should be made more evident by focusing on and placing what you're showing in a good spot on the canvas. Right now, the badge is too far out of the frame to seem important, the slits and raindrops are all very plain and focused that they seem to be important. The Boxster behind the 911 you're shooting is there for context, but shouldn't be that obviously sharp. It's in the background, you want to rank it lower in importance by keeping it back there and blurring it out. It would be great to have a camera that you could control this with, but if you don't, don't be afraid to tastefully Photoshop it. You've got some interesting spiky reflections right above the badging that I would've tried to play with...

Peugeot racer - You're cropping that part of the car, but I don't see it as an interesting-enough part of the car to need the shot (the interesting elements on the Porsche however did deserve it). Show pics are very hard to stand out, they all just look like show pics, so don't expect stellar shots off the bat. It's a little orangy too, which can be compensated by cooling down the colour bias in Ps, or by hitting the Tungsten white balance function on your camera. I think underexposing the whole photo a little so you don't get as much of the public in the shot and also the white of the car wouldn't be as burnt out. There's a couple really hot spots there that are just too white.

WWII airplane - Just like the C4S, you need to make it obvious what you're trying to show us. Right now, the part most in focus is the Nazi kill count, which is waaaay out of the shot to seem important even if the focus is showing it as the most important. You've gotta decide what the subject is and focus that - which emblem, the exhaust pipes maybe, then focus that and compose that in an appropriate spot (rule of thirds would be the most obvious choice here). If the whole plane is supposed to be the subject, then focus it that way.

GT3RS model - I absolutely love this shot from the first time you posted it. It's such a neat aesthetic in both fore and background. You nailed it, and as Cano pointed out, there are many possibilities with this, both with shooting models and actual cars. I really like the look.

Red Peugeot - Half the car is blacked out. The obvious solution is to shoot the sunny half of the car. If you can't get a decent angle of the sunny half, well then don't even bother with the bad shot. I've passed plenty of sweeeet cars to photograph but couldn't get a clear view of the thing without a pole in the way or the light just doesn't work. Win some, lose some. You can still try to bracket several shots to find the one you can use the best to have the background out of the way and enough of the car exposed. Your Photoshopped blur is pretty sloppy too. Despite being ill-exposed and a boring car to begin with, it is fairly well composed.

Telephone pole - Great shapes and layout. There is movement, size and value contrast, just enough asymmetry and good exposure (your camera could've metered the sky and blacked out the foreground wires and pole). Very pretty picture, although the greenery shouldn't be there or cloned out.

C4S w/ Aero package - This is a slightly uncomfortable shot, and here's why. The trick to good car photography (in my opinion) is to capture the car in a way that you wouldn't normally see it in person, either in composition or exposure. For example, if you're within a couple yards of the subject, don't take head-height shots because it's just too normal. Lowering the camera gets the shot as if you were sitting in a car or looking at it from far away, which is irregular and makes for a nicer shot. However, you can't stray to the extreme. Cars from way above seem weird because we're not birds and we aren't used to seeing cars from such high angles. The same goes with this shot, it's so low that it is too far from the normal comfort zone. If you could get up to the level ground but take the shot from the same place, so you get the whole car at ground level (if you're photographing the whole car, you should see the whole car) but also the grass slope going down, it would've worked perfectly.

Audi R8 nose - Very pretty photo. Not symmetrical, which fits perfectly with the position in the frame. The blue feel is great too. I'd like to see more value in the front shadow area, but I feel that it would overexpose too much and lose definition in the windscreen and roof, which are reflecting the really overexposed windows. This is where masking and playing with levels would work, but be careful so that what you change is equally changed in the car's reflection. If you've got a lens that can take a circular polarizing lens, slide one on. They don't eliminate reflection, but they do a good deal on glare.

Audi S5 - Not an amazingly interesting shot, but you've learn what I meant earlier before by showing what you want with focus. You obviously want to show the little badge, so you focussed and composed that alone. I would've also tried another shot with sliding the badge over to the right of the frame and seen what that would've looked like.

Flowers - I hate flower shots taken by anyone, so I'm not going to provide much more than I think it's the most cliché thing you can shoot. Nothing personal at all, there are plenty of professional flower photographers out there that I don't like either...

Pooch - Great shot. Maybe a titch overexposed but good that no areas are too blacked out. Very nice photograph.

====

Hopefully the commentary doesn't come across as too harsh and you can take it for the best. If you need any clarification then let me know. Good luck!

U guys and real life photos, U really enjoy it :lol:

U are talented Speed, no doubt. I enjoyed a lot thar orange GT, what happened?:lol:

I will continue on GT4 photography, so U know where to find me:)

NTX

Thanks Nuno! Hope to see you around again soon.

Alright some of your flickr-hosted shots are AWOL, but I'll comment on the ones that are still visible. Many of your shots are closeups and tight crops, which I don't know too much about, but I'll still use my school-taught 2D design knowledge to help you with composition and whatnot.

Yeah I noticed that they were playing up last night but didn't have the time to sort them. They should be fixed now, I don't know what happened.

C4S - Okay, you found a nice tight angle here that seems to have decent layout and composition. I don't really dig this shot because I have no idea what you're trying to show me. Is it the raindrops? The louvres over the motor? The Carrera 4S badge? This should be made more evident by focusing on and placing what you're showing in a good spot on the canvas. Right now, the badge is too far out of the frame to seem important, the slits and raindrops are all very plain and focused that they seem to be important. The Boxster behind the 911 you're shooting is there for context, but shouldn't be that obviously sharp. It's in the background, you want to rank it lower in importance by keeping it back there and blurring it out. It would be great to have a camera that you could control this with, but if you don't, don't be afraid to tastefully Photoshop it. You've got some interesting spiky reflections right above the badging that I would've tried to play with...

Personally, looking back at it I can't remember what I wanted in focus. I think it was probably the badge, but then again I can't understand why I picked an angle which showed off more of the vents than anything and even cropped part of the badge out. I see your point though. I've been told many times about the backround for that particular shot should be blurred I've just never got round to it, I'll put my hands up and admit that was caused due to lazyiness. Good spot on the reflections, it's something I hadn't really noticed maybe I'll go back to this photo and try and have a play.

Peugeot racer - You're cropping that part of the car, but I don't see it as an interesting-enough part of the car to need the shot (the interesting elements on the Porsche however did deserve it). Show pics are very hard to stand out, they all just look like show pics, so don't expect stellar shots off the bat. It's a little orangy too, which can be compensated by cooling down the colour bias in Ps, or by hitting the Tungsten white balance function on your camera. I think underexposing the whole photo a little so you don't get as much of the public in the shot and also the white of the car wouldn't be as burnt out. There's a couple really hot spots there that are just too white.

Fair enough, perhaps I thought the part was more intresting than it actually was. I personally never noticed the orangy effect which you have highlighted, although apart from PSing it I don't think my camera has a tungsten white balance effect it has: custom, fine, shade, fluroscent light -1, fluroscent light -2, fluroscent light -3 and finally incandescent. As I said on the Porsche one perhaps I'll have a little play around with it in PS.

WWII airplane - Just like the C4S, you need to make it obvious what you're trying to show us. Right now, the part most in focus is the Nazi kill count, which is waaaay out of the shot to seem important even if the focus is showing it as the most important. You've gotta decide what the subject is and focus that - which emblem, the exhaust pipes maybe, then focus that and compose that in an appropriate spot (rule of thirds would be the most obvious choice here). If the whole plane is supposed to be the subject, then focus it that way.

Yeah, I'll take that on board. As I should have mentioned this particular shot was I think my second shot ever with a DSLR as I was on work experience at the RAF Photographic section. (Not trying to come up with excuses here just saying the truth). I was a bit overwhelmed by everything the SLR could do so it was more of a knack of just trying things out. I only really posted that shot as the RAF Photog's said it was quite good. So I suppose I just took their word for it.

GT3RS model - I absolutely love this shot from the first time you posted it. It's such a neat aesthetic in both fore and background. You nailed it, and as Cano pointed out, there are many possibilities with this, both with shooting models and actual cars. I really like the look.

Thanks, I was pleased with it too. I have a couple of negatives about the shot though, the first is that take a look at the top of the front wheels, yup they are circular. You know why? Because my hand was there originally which meant I had to clone stamp the back wheel onto the front wheel which hasn't worked in certain places. I've got a couple more shots that I took in a similar style to this but with a Eurofighter Typhoon model that I can put up if you want.

Red Peugeot - Half the car is blacked out. The obvious solution is to shoot the sunny half of the car. If you can't get a decent angle of the sunny half, well then don't even bother with the bad shot. I've passed plenty of sweeeet cars to photograph but couldn't get a clear view of the thing without a pole in the way or the light just doesn't work. Win some, lose some. You can still try to bracket several shots to find the one you can use the best to have the background out of the way and enough of the car exposed. Your Photoshopped blur is pretty sloppy too. Despite being ill-exposed and a boring car to begin with, it is fairly well composed.

Took me a while to figure out which shot you meant here, I presume you mean the Vauxhall Nova? I agree with the fact half the car is blacked out, and that shot isn't all that intresting. I'll certainly take the advice though. I'll also agree on the photshopped blur being pretty diare, back then I was using polygon tool for everything since my work experience I now know how to use the pen tool which makes my life a bit easier.

Telephone pole - Great shapes and layout. There is movement, size and value contrast, just enough asymmetry and good exposure (your camera could've metered the sky and blacked out the foreground wires and pole). Very pretty picture, although the greenery shouldn't be there or cloned out.

Cheers, I quite liked this photo even though I felt quite silly taking it. The only reason I left the greenery in as I felt it might have added to the picture.

C4S w/ Aero package - This is a slightly uncomfortable shot, and here's why. The trick to good car photography (in my opinion) is to capture the car in a way that you wouldn't normally see it in person, either in composition or exposure. For example, if you're within a couple yards of the subject, don't take head-height shots because it's just too normal. Lowering the camera gets the shot as if you were sitting in a car or looking at it from far away, which is irregular and makes for a nicer shot. However, you can't stray to the extreme. Cars from way above seem weird because we're not birds and we aren't used to seeing cars from such high angles. The same goes with this shot, it's so low that it is too far from the normal comfort zone. If you could get up to the level ground but take the shot from the same place, so you get the whole car at ground level (if you're photographing the whole car, you should see the whole car) but also the grass slope going down, it would've worked perfectly.

I never really liked this shot anyway, I ended up going down 15 odd steps to get to the level I took it at and still didn't like. I also didn't like (as well as the position) the fact that everything looks in focus and there is no depth of field at all. Point taken about the extreme kind of stuff too.

Audi R8 nose - Very pretty photo. Not symmetrical, which fits perfectly with the position in the frame. The blue feel is great too. I'd like to see more value in the front shadow area, but I feel that it would overexpose too much and lose definition in the windscreen and roof, which are reflecting the really overexposed windows. This is where masking and playing with levels would work, but be careful so that what you change is equally changed in the car's reflection. If you've got a lens that can take a circular polarizing lens, slide one on. They don't eliminate reflection, but they do a good deal on glare.

Thanks, I'll try and improve that next time if I'm in a similar situation.

Audi S5 - Not an amazingly interesting shot, but you've learn what I meant earlier before by showing what you want with focus. You obviously want to show the little badge, so you focussed and composed that alone. I would've also tried another shot with sliding the badge over to the right of the frame and seen what that would've looked like.

Yeah, I've kind of learnt more about my camera since the Carrera 4 Shot which meant I can play around more freely where my focus is and stuff like that. Makes for a better shot really.

Flowers - I hate flower shots taken by anyone, so I'm not going to provide much more than I think it's the most cliché thing you can shoot. Nothing personal at all, there are plenty of professional flower photographers out there that I don't like either...

Couldn't help but laugh at this :lol: But yeah, as you may have been able to tell I was just playing around and experimenting. I tend to do this alot causing for some really bad photos :lol:

Pooch - Great shot. Maybe a titch overexposed but good that no areas are too blacked out. Very nice photograph.

Thanks, I think my relatives should be pleased with that shot. 👍

Hopefully the commentary doesn't come across as too harsh and you can take it for the best. If you need any clarification then let me know. Good luck!

Some of it perhaps I thought was a bit harsh, but the fact is your just trying to improve me at doing something I love doing and obviously you do to, thats why you feel as though you can tell me all this stuff. So I'll try and take it constructively, and try and improve for next time!

One thing I'd love to know how to do is to do panning shots, but I'm not sure whether my camera can do that.

Also, the other photo's should be fixed now so you can comment on the couple which are up now, if you want to.

The white balance you're looking for is incandescent. Bump that up!

One thing I'd love to know how to do is to do panning shots, but I'm not sure whether my camera can do that.

Getting started with panning is dealing with your camera's autofocus. If your camea's moving, the AF might not focus properly on the moving object and won't capture anything at all. Try to see what kind of autofocus settings your camera has, sometimes camera's have a central anchor they focus on for every shot.

As for composition, if you look through your viewfinder, there are little lines and corners that you can try to keep your subject on. If you're panning the side of a car, you should keep it to the back of the frame (facing the middle) unless there is something interesting behind the car (wet roostertail, curvy road). Just try things around. Cars on public roads, I usually shoot 1/80s, and on track slightly faster so you don't lose too much detail on the subject.

The white balance you're looking for is incandescent. Bump that up!

Thanks!

Getting started with panning is dealing with your camera's autofocus. If your camea's moving, the AF might not focus properly on the moving object and won't capture anything at all. Try to see what kind of autofocus settings your camera has, sometimes camera's have a central anchor they focus on for every shot.

As for composition, if you look through your viewfinder, there are little lines and corners that you can try to keep your subject on. If you're panning the side of a car, you should keep it to the back of the frame (facing the middle) unless there is something interesting behind the car (wet roostertail, curvy road). Just try things around. Cars on public roads, I usually shoot 1/80s, and on track slightly faster so you don't lose too much detail on the subject.

I hate my camera's autofocus, it's kind of useless and never focus' quick enough for my liking. Thanks for the tips though!

Well, today I recieved details of how much pay I will be recieving from my Summer job, the amount is roughly £400 (Slightly more but I don't want to spend too much!). The camera I had previously started looking at Fuji Finepix S9600 and I am still very keen on this camera, especially after hearing that both TVR&FF and HoldenHSV... have the model below it, the S9500.

So, as I say I'm keen on getting the best deal that's out there. So the search can being!

The thing with panning is timing. My technique is: Stand with your feet apart, one foot pointing at the start of the pan, the other at the end. Take a few practice swings, the movement is all in the hips. For the first few passes, don't shoot, just follow the car in your viewfinder. You will get a feel for how fast the cars are going. Set the shutter speed between 3/focal length and 4/focal length. Aperture should be quite narrow: I reckon on around F/10 for an SLR, but compacts vary. The plus point with this is that the DOF will help to overcome focus difficulties.

Always pre-focus on the piece of track that the target is going to be on when you want the shot taken. Now, just shoot & shoot & shoot until you get it!

Well, today I recieved details of how much pay I will be recieving from my Summer job, the amount is roughly £400 (Slightly more but I don't want to spend too much!). The camera I had previously started looking at Fuji Finepix S9600 and I am still very keen on this camera, especially after hearing that both TVR&FF and HoldenHSV... have the model below it, the S9500.

So, as I say I'm keen on getting the best deal that's out there. So the search can being!

Noooo you deserve an SLR. Wait it out for more cash or look for a good used deal. There's miles difference in usability and upgradability.

The thing with panning is timing. My technique is: Stand with your feet apart, one foot pointing at the start of the pan, the other at the end. Take a few practice swings, the movement is all in the hips. For the first few passes, don't shoot, just follow the car in your viewfinder. You will get a feel for how fast the cars are going. Set the shutter speed between 3/focal length and 4/focal length. Aperture should be quite narrow: I reckon on around F/10 for an SLR, but compacts vary. The plus point with this is that the DOF will help to overcome focus difficulties.

Always pre-focus on the piece of track that the target is going to be on when you want the shot taken. Now, just shoot & shoot & shoot until you get it!

Thanks, I'll take this on board and hopefully experiment with some pans before I go to Castle Combe. Thanks again for the tips!

Noooo you deserve an SLR. Wait it out for more cash or look for a good used deal. There's miles difference in usability and upgradability.

What do you mean I deserve a SLR? :lol: I'll keep an eye out I can't promise anything but if I were to go with a DSLR any particular companies/models which would be good?

I would give you my thoughts on my S9500, but at the moment I am so busy with my Goodwood FOS 08 shots. However if you are going to get a DSLR, you should either look at models from Canon or Nikon.

I'm not hugely into photography (although if I had the time and wanted to go out to many places, I would be), I know that an DSLR camera is the way to go, not some half and half version like the S9500 (which is my camera too BTW).

My Dad has a Fuji S3 Pro SLR camera and is light years ahead of what I have. Ok, there is a masive price differenve, but it's a few years old now so I suppose cameras of the same quality are much cheaper.

It's easier said that done though, photography. It's a lot of practice... I admit I don't think of a near as much things as Exigeracer explained until I've actually done the photoshoot and looking at them on my computer. :lol:

What do you mean I deserve a SLR? :lol: I'll keep an eye out I can't promise anything but if I were to go with a DSLR any particular companies/models which would be good?

You seem very interested in the hobby and want to pursue photography at the next level. There simply isn't the malleable usability with a point and shoot as with a proper fully manual SLR. Of all the pointers I gave you, control on the part of the photographer is key, which you just won't have the same freedom with any point and shoot.

Every company these days is producing a decent dSLR, there are tons of options. Look around, pick up and feel and shoot some frames, find what you like best. I hated the feel of the Rebel at the time I got my camera, and the Nikon wasn't much better. Believe it or not, it was down to the Pentax and Olympus back then, but I was brought to the Sony and am happy as a clam. The action feels great, it's got such a nice weight in your hands, the screen is huge (which the big 2 at the time hadn't yet figured out), fit and quality are still great. You never know what will be right for you.

Thanks guys for your comments.

I've been looking at a Canon 350D , does anyone have any particular opinions of this camera?

I'm fiddling around with my holiday snaps from Gloucestershire and Castle Combe at the moment, once they are done you can expect a update.

Also, remember I'm still on the dSLR hunt, I'm considering highly a Canon 350d and would love to hear your opinions on it. The 350d is a Digital Rebel XT for those Americans here.

Hi All,​
I am now the proud owner of a Digital SLR Camera. The camera is a second hand Canon 350D the previous owner was a very careful owner who took great care of it. Therefore the camera is in brilliant nick, the owner also provided all the original packaging and also along the process of buying it answered all of my silly questions.

Of course, the brilliant owner of this camera was GilesGutherie. I have thanked him so much and it was a pleasure doing buisness with him. I hope the first shot I took will be pleasing for him!

Click To Enlarge

I know the focus is not quite sharp enough, however I think the shot gave the required effect I was after. I hope to keep on improving, and hopefully some day I'll be coming out with shots at the same quality as GilesGutherie himself.

Thanks again Giles, I'll treat it as you would!​

Last edited:
:lol:

I was about to suggest that Giles had a 350D going unused. Anyway, congrats on the new cam and start shooting!

Congrats, you went with the right choice.

Just keep in mind it'll take a little wrangling with a quick lens to get depth like that on a life-size car, or some Photoshopping. Good luck!

:lol:

I was about to suggest that Giles had a 350D going unused. Anyway, congrats on the new cam and start shooting!

Thanks, I know Giles and I kept it on the down low until I actually recieved the camera. :)

Aye, that's a good start, right enough. :)

Thanks, glad your pleased with it!

It is a great shot, but I was hoping the headlight would of had more focus.

So was I, but I was still getting to grips with the camera at the time so you can hardly expect it to be perfect!

Congrats, you went with the right choice.

Just keep in mind it'll take a little wrangling with a quick lens to get depth like that on a life-size car, or some Photoshopping. Good luck!

Yeah, I considered for quite awhile with going with the bridge and then kept re-reading your post over and over again whilst I was struggling to make my decision. Then Giles contacting me and threw a offer up in the air for me to consider. Once I'd decided I contacted him and here we are today!

I definately understand about the depth on it, one of the plus points with having 1:18th scale cars! Thanks again!

Righty ho then, moving swiftly on. I recently went on holiday to the Derbyshire Dales, or the Peak District in the UK. Plenty of photo opportunities during my holiday, although most of them required a bit of a hike :lol:. The first shot I will be showing is a shot which was before I went on holiday playing around with my model cars again.

As you will also notice, I'm including shooting information (Well not all of it but enough for most of you to comment on!) the reason why I'm showing this information is that you might be able to help me with my settings which is something I can quite quickly say I'm not overly confident with!

IMG_8254.jpg

Larger Size

Now to my holiday snaps, when we arrived at the caravan site the weather was fairly nice so I decided to whip the Canon out and start experimenting with different modes and settings.

IMG_8427.jpg

Larger Size

The next shot was part of a series of photos taken, some of which not being in focus, so this is perhaps one of my best. I liked the way that the backround was thrown out of focus whilst the R/C Helicopter (Piloted by my Father) seems to be almost pin sharp. I used the AI Servo focus for this, using my recently acquired PhotoPlus magazine's tips to help.

IMG_8462.jpg

Larger Size

Next photo on Day 2 of my holiday, this was a intresting angle of my parents car, thus the reason why the number plate is blanked out by request of my parents. The photo was taken on a high "f" stop which was un-intentional at the time, although it was my fault for not checking those all important settings. The reason why the background is blurred is thanks to Photoshop which gives it a bit more depth of field into the picture.

IMG_8526.jpg

Larger Size

Day 3 of my holiday, after the day before walking a 6 mile trek to find a waterfall, which ended up being so small it was hardly worth doing and being mildly dissapointed the next day I was determined to find a slightly bigger one. Even if it was man made. So, Monsal Head was the answer to my wishes! Thanks to a handy mini-tripod that I was carrying in my bag which happily supported the weight of the SLR (Thank God!) which meant I was allowed to use slower shutter speeds. So here are two of my best pictures from the day!

IMG_8756.jpg

Larger Size

IMG_8741.jpg

Larger Size

I hope that you guys can enjoy these pcitures, and please feel free to comment and criticise these!

Also, if you want any of these wallpaper size without the border then just ask away and I'll send them to you via PM!

I'm on a photoshoot at a Porsche dealer tommorrow which could be intresting too so expect some shots from that too!!

Last edited:
Back