Speedster's Gallery // July-October

A nice set of shots there, although I probably wouldn't have bothered with the one of your parents' car. It's a bit of a shot to nothing. Your Photoshop blur is OK though. Helicopter shot is a good one: well done on that. Tell your Dad he needs some white blades for it so that you can get a good blade swirl - currently the blades are invisible, but 1/60th is the right sort of shutter speed.

The waterfall shots are very good. Couple of things though: lenses start to internally diffract beyond around F/16, so by the time you get to F/32, the sharpness you're expecting is being compromised by diffraction off the aperture blades. You're using ISO 200, but if you'd been on ISO 100, you could have got the same shutter speed but at a slightly wider aperture. As it stands, neither shot is particularly compromised by the diffraction though, so you're OK.

I really like the TVR Sagaris diecast model car shot. :D

Thought you would :D Cheers for your comment!

A nice set of shots there, although I probably wouldn't have bothered with the one of your parents' car. It's a bit of a shot to nothing. Your Photoshop blur is OK though. Helicopter shot is a good one: well done on that. Tell your Dad he needs some white blades for it so that you can get a good blade swirl - currently the blades are invisible, but 1/60th is the right sort of shutter speed.

Maybe your right about my parents car photo, it was more of a thing of "Well I'm standing on this rock, might as well make a use of it, kind of it" situation. Perhaps not as good as I originally thought, even though I'm pretty sure the composition is alright.

My Dad helicopter is a awesome toy to be around when he is flying with it, only thing is you have to be cautious for it not to get too close, those blades are carbon fibre with aluminium tips so it will hurt if it hits me or anything for that matter! Sadly, he won't change his blades to be white I suppose I'll just have to try and catch the blades better with a slightly faster shutter speed or catch them on a contrasting background.

Waterfall shots are very good. Couple of things though: lenses start to internally diffract beyond around F/16, so by the time you get to F/32, the sharpness you're expecting is being compromised by diffraction off the aperture blades. You're using ISO 200, but if you'd been on ISO 100, you could have got the same shutter speed but at a slightly wider aperture. As it stands, neither shot is particularly compromised by the diffraction though, so you're OK.

Thanks very much for the intial comment 👍 Also thanks for telling me about the diffraction it's something I would never have been aware of if I hadn't posted the pictures along with the settings. Thanks again for that, I'll try harder not to cause that I don't want my pcitures to suffer due to my own mistake!

Last edited:
Hi guys, no new update from me for now. However, I'm starting the search for a lens! I feel as though I'm lacking something with my lens and with several exciting events that I'm going to coming up in the next few months I want a lens which can take it all. I'm looking at a longer focal length basically from where my current lens leaves off (18-55mm) and then heading into the 200-300mm zone. I know there will be a loss in quality because of a superzoom lens like that (It is superzoom isn't it?) but I'm prepared to take that sacrifice for the time being.

This is the current lens I'm looking at: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom

The lens looks quite impressive especially with the inclusion of IS, which may become a handy feature.

Any comments on that lens and any other different lens that offer the same kind of zoom, at a similar price?

Can I just say, as I completely forgot this photography forum existed for something like 2 years, nice photos 👍 And excellent choice of camera! Coincidentally my relatives (who I'm staying with at the mo) have a 350d, and from what I've seen photo wise it's superb. I know they've got a 55-200andsomething lens on it with image stabiliser, so I might just have to go beaver it out and see if it's the same as the one you're looking at. I shall return... :)

Hi guys, no new update from me for now. However, I'm starting the search for a lens! I feel as though I'm lacking something with my lens and with several exciting events that I'm going to coming up in the next few months I want a lens which can take it all. I'm looking at a longer focal length basically from where my current lens leaves off (18-55mm) and then heading into the 200-300mm zone. I know there will be a loss in quality because of a superzoom lens like that (It is superzoom isn't it?) but I'm prepared to take that sacrifice for the time being.

This is the current lens I'm looking at: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom

The lens looks quite impressive especially with the inclusion of IS, which may become a handy feature.

Any comments on that lens and any other different lens that offer the same kind of zoom, at a similar price?

That lens gets a lot of praise on some of the forums I go to. I don't think it's a superzoom, because it would have to have at least a 10x zoom range (divide large number by small number in focal range to get times-zoom). It's a "medium telephoto zoom", I would say.

The only other suggestion is the venerable EF75-300 F/4-5.6 III USM lens. It's ludicrously cheap, and quite fast focussing, but it's soft as anything wide open. That's not a problem if you're panning cars or jets, because you'll be down at F/8-F/13, at which point it's nice & sharp. You also don't need IS if you're panning.

That lens gets a lot of praise on some of the forums I go to. I don't think it's a superzoom, because it would have to have at least a 10x zoom range (divide large number by small number in focal range to get times-zoom). It's a "medium telephoto zoom", I would say.

The only other suggestion is the venerable EF75-300 F/4-5.6 III USM lens. It's ludicrously cheap, and quite fast focussing, but it's soft as anything wide open. That's not a problem if you're panning cars or jets, because you'll be down at F/8-F/13, at which point it's nice & sharp. You also don't need IS if you're panning.

owner of a 75-300 here, and I love to use it; if you want stupid-big zoom for a pretty affordable price, then ideed get one, and if it's stabilized the better; I differ from Giles, I was used to pan stuff with a stabilized camera and when I bought the XTI, the panning shots came out horrible; I even got to the roof of my house to pan cars and practicing, it was horrible; I've got it sorted out now but it would still be a lot easier if it was stabilized; I still plan to buy one later.

I've shot entire track days with it and it's very good, as Giles says, very fast, rarely do I have an out-of-focus shot because of the lens (but for my bad panning skills) and I also use it to shoot extremely small details like knobs, engine pieces and stuff like that; it's difficult to use like that because if you are not at some distance it wont even focus, but when it does, the pictures turn out very well... of course, you so need a tripod doing this because at full zoom with somethig so small and so close, everything goes off-focus.

but yes, if you want really big zoom, it's the lens to go for.

Not to stray too far from the topic, but I learned panning with a non-stabilised lens, and now I have IS lenses, I can't pan with them worth a damn, so I switch off the IS.

Can I just say, as I completely forgot this photography forum existed for something like 2 years, nice photos 👍 And excellent choice of camera! Coincidentally my relatives (who I'm staying with at the mo) have a 350d, and from what I've seen photo wise it's superb. I know they've got a 55-200andsomething lens on it with image stabiliser, so I might just have to go beaver it out and see if it's the same as the one you're looking at. I shall return... :)

Cheers, I'm really impressed with the camera and am loving it to bits! Still waiting for the bag to turn up for it just to make it a bit more safe. I look forward to your return!

Your probably right, good to hear its a praised lens! Although since you bought up the other lens I think I've been even more confused of which one to buy.

This lens looks fairly intresting. The fact it's only £130 compared to the 55-250mm's £190, however is it a case of you pay for what you get? Presumably because the lens you suggested is a EF would that mean it will fit the larger sensor sized camera such as the 1D/40D etc, if it does it might be a worth investing in that lens so then when I eventually upgrade (Talking several years) to something like a 40D the lens would fit on it straight away. But will the quality not be as good as the other one?

As you can probably see I'm completely confused.

owner of a 75-300 here, and I love to use it; if you want stupid-big zoom for a pretty affordable price, then ideed get one, and if it's stabilized the better; I differ from Giles, I was used to pan stuff with a stabilized camera and when I bought the XTI, the panning shots came out horrible; I even got to the roof of my house to pan cars and practicing, it was horrible; I've got it sorted out now but it would still be a lot easier if it was stabilized; I still plan to buy one later.

Thing is because the current lens on the Canon is a EF-S 18-55 II which does not have IS, and the fact I can do panning shots using this lens (Kind of, still need some practise but I'm getting there). Would it worth going with the non-IS one seeming I'm used to it?

I've shot entire track days with it and it's very good, as Giles says, very fast, rarely do I have an out-of-focus shot because of the lens (but for my bad panning skills) and I also use it to shoot extremely small details like knobs, engine pieces and stuff like that; it's difficult to use like that because if you are not at some distance it wont even focus, but when it does, the pictures turn out very well... of course, you so need a tripod doing this because at full zoom with somethig so small and so close, everything goes off-focus but yes, if you want really big zoom, it's the lens to go for.

Luckily I don't think close up picture will be too much of a probelm, I'll probably stick to using my 18-55mm for those types of shots unless I get the 55-250mm.

Not to stray too far from the topic, but I learned panning with a non-stabilised lens, and now I have IS lenses, I can't pan with them worth a damn, so I switch off the IS.

I didn't know you could turn IS off on lenses (Shows how much I know!) it's a intresting point though. I'm going to ask around on some other Photography forums for opinions as well as asking the RAF their opinion of which lens would suit me best. I don't mind spending the extra money if I need to, of course the cheaper the better, but I don't want lose image quality and in the end have to replace the lens because of poor quality.

Anyway, I'm taking the Canon to Jessops on Saturday to give it's a CMOS a clean, it's become a bit dirty over the past few weeks for some obscure reason so I'm getting it cleaned. Luckily Jessops said they will show me how to clean the sensor and then sell me a kit to clean the camera myself. Which should be quite helpful.

Also, the Porsche shots should be coming soon after I finished editing them!

Light Swirls

This next batch of photos are of some of a smilar style to what you've all seen before. Yet again I've come back to attempt the light swirl effect. Now to give some information on this effect, its a effect I was introduced to by the RAF during my work experience. I used a small torch on a long shutter speed (30 Seconds to be exact) in a otherwise (apart from the torch) pitch black room with black out curtains in. The first picture, I over did a bit but it shows that the effect can work its just getting the technique to work effectively by lighting the car efficiently and by getting a nice swirl effect.

2825101653_d605d2e9e2_o.jpg

Canon EOS 350D ISO100 30s at f/4

The next bunch aren't perhaps quite as good, but I'll let you guys decide on that.

2825123771_03f7a45355_o.jpg

2825961460_6b6bd2d8c6_o.jpg

Anyway, enjoy!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'll be buying the 55-250mm lens I was previously looking at, thanks to the help of the all of you and the helpful and friendly guys and gals at the What Digital Camera Magazine Forum, who helped me choose from a other wise difficult decision.

Nice shots, I keep meaning to try light painting but never seem to get round to it!

aah, I keep meaning to do that but with some real cars I have to shoot, I've seen some examples of that at automotive photo and it looks great!

Nice shots, I keep meaning to try light painting but never seem to get round to it!

Thanks Moglet, its not too hard to do just wait until its dark to do it!

Nice pictures! What is the make of those die casts? :)

Well, the Subaru Impreza WRC is a Hotwheels 1:18th car, then the Porsche 911 GT3 RS is a AutoART model a very nicely detailed car. It has to be my favourite model I currently own.

aah, I keep meaning to do that but with some real cars I have to shoot, I've seen some examples of that at automotive photo and it looks great!

Yeah I know, you mentioned it before it would be pretty cool to see what you could do with a real car!

My new lens is here, and I've been snapping away in my back garden with my model cars as per usual. Sadly no jets flew over like they usually do, so if I hear them flying about another day I'll try and get some snaps of them.

2833373505_e0af4ffc58_o.jpg

"The Group"

Canon 350D ISO100 1/200s at f/5.6 at 250mm

2834211102_85fcab7e57_o.jpg

"Home Turf"

Canon 350D ISO100 1/200s at at f/5.6 at 250mm
2833372795_4b955d073f_o.jpg

"Orange"

Canon 350D ISO100 1/200s at at f/5.6 at 171mm

2833372455_b3816feed3_o.jpg

"Staring On...Wishing it was a 4X4"

Canon 350D ISO100 1/200s at at f/5.6 at 187mm

2834209882_b98c7caff6_o.jpg

"Group B Memories"

Canon 350D ISO100 1/200s at at f/5.6 at 123mm

Well I'm sure you'll see more from me before the week's end, then next weekend I'm at a motoring event. Any tips on settings etc which will give me some good results?

Enjoy!

Last edited:
they're great shots actually. not too bad at all. though they're too clean to be rallye cars lol. just kidding :D

they're great shots actually. not too bad at all. though they're too clean to be rallye cars lol. just kidding :D

Cheers, I know the rally cars are too clean! I need some dirtied up ones! Thanks for your comment though!

you need muscle car models. good composition and colour on most of them, in the third picture if there was more space at the front of the car than in the rear, it would have been perfect, that's also a rule of thumb for auto photography. Also, if the cars steer their wheels, do so!

good shots! cool models too :D

Thanks!

you need muscle car models. good composition and colour on most of them, in the third picture if there was more space at the front of the car than in the rear, it would have been perfect, that's also a rule of thumb for auto photography. Also, if the cars steer their wheels, do so!

Thanks, I was pleased with the composition on most of them and I do agree now I've seen it more space at the front would have been better than how it is currently. Next time I go out I'll make sure I tweak those wheels a bit to get the turning! Although if you look on the 4th one you cans see the camber on the rear tyres of the Porsche!

Right then, last weekend I attended the Richard Burns Memorial Rally a brilliant event and even though we were limited to areas which meant lack of intresting angles, this was my first time out with the new lens properly. When I mean properly I mean on real cars. The reason why I bought the new lens. Now there are so many shots I'm going to have to split it into smaller updates which is a shame but I want C&C on these so less is more to be honest. This first batch will be dedicated to the star driver, this driver sadly encountered a accident back in 2005 in Wales Rally GB where Michael "Beefy" Park was sadly killed, it seemed set in stone he would not return to rallying however due to the infamous co-driver Robert Reid (Richard Burn's co-driver) he persuaded the driver to compete.

Added: EXIF Data has been added to the photos, now looking at the settings perhaps I could have used a slightly slower shutter speed for those panning shots, something around 1/60s instead of 1/125s. Oh well, have to try harder next time even though I'm pleased with some of the results.

2863688772_276a1ca231_o.jpg

Markko Martin

Canon EOS 350D ISO100 1/250s at f/7.1

2863688096_e66e698582_o.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRC 2008

2862855357_5b7645be42_o.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRC 2008

Canon EOS 350D ISO100 1/100s at f/11

2863689678_03b51fb326_o.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRC 2008

Canon EOS 350D ISO100 1/125s at f/11

2863689934_48236314f8_o.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRC 2008

Canon EOS 350D ISO100 1/400s at f/7.1

2863688996_7b628d1e8a_o.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRC 2008

2863689186_80e7a37453_o.jpg

Canon EOS 350D ISO100 1/125s at f/11

Sorry all of these are of the same car but as I said there are so many pictures, I have to split it down into smaller updates even though I'm not posting the 700 odd pictures I originally took.

I'll leave these for C&C for the next couple of days and then I'll post the next bunch!

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Pretty much bang-on for a first panning set. I see you followed the instructions to the letter!!!

So, IS on (mode 1), on (mode 2) or off?

Pretty much bang-on for a first panning set. I see you followed the instructions to the letter!!!

So, IS on (mode 1), on (mode 2) or off?

Hehe, the reason why I followed it to the letter is that a printed a copy of it and then kept it in my pocket for quick access. :)

Concerning IS, I accidently left it on perhaps I should have turned it off to see what would happen, next time I'm at a event I'll try it.

You know ive been saying Im not jealous, well erm I may have been wrong. (and thats before I look at the photo's :P)

Excellent work all round, the portrait shot is very well framed and the panning on the others is just about right too! 👍

First time panning? Really good for first time out! The portrait is my favorite, however, good colours too.

Damn, that '08 WRC Impreza looks stunning! :drool: Schweet shots 👍

Thanks Bram, I thought the new WRC car looked good too! And I didn't expect it to look that good! Thanks for your comment!

You know ive been saying Im not jealous, well erm I may have been wrong. (and thats before I look at the photo's :P)

Cool, thanks for your input. Makes me feel happier, although I would have been happier if you could have come with me. :)

Excellent work all round, the portrait shot is very well framed and the panning on the others is just about right too! 👍

Thanks very much Moglet, I enjoyed atempting to pan and the potrait shot for me was just a plain lucky capture. I wanted a purely natural expression on his face which I think I managed to achieve, also the composition was planned as I've done something like it before. But cheers for your comment, I'll try to check your gallery out at some point!

First time panning? Really good for first time out! The portrait is my favorite, however, good colours too.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from a professional! Thanks very much for your comment!

I'll start sorting out the second batch, hopefully they will be just as good!

Richard Burns Memorial Rally Part 2

As I said before, there will be 4 parts (I Think!) to this update. In this update there will be some more shots of the actual rally itself including some of the older cars which were there.

2871425417_75684db1b5_o.jpg

Audi Quattro
Canon 350D ISO100 1/250s at f/11

2870320741_f278d858ff_o.jpg

Lotus Cortina
Canon 350D ISO100 1/250s at f/7.1

2870320539_d8cff78c04_o.jpg

MG Metro 6R4
Canon 350D ISO100 1/320S at f/11

2871425253_07771236cb_o.jpg

Audi Quattro
Canon 350D ISO100 1/320s at f/8