(Spin) Problem Handling Cars list

• Thread starter Gturbo5
  • 598 comments
OK... let's do a real comparison. F40, stock, S1 tyres @ Deep Forest Raceway, no aids except ABS 1. Lap times.... from as many people as want to give it a bash no matter their perceived skill level or what controller they're using.

I just did a 1'26.063 after 5 warm up laps. There is a lot more time there but it will take me considerably more laps to find the limit and have the confidence to push it. This isn't a competition as such, I am just intrigued as to how far the F40, which is about the hardest to manage I've come across so far, can be pushed with the current physics model.

By way of comparison, I did a 1'27.501 with a stock Aston Martin V8 Vantage (the huge tank like one) on the same tyres, also after 5 warm up laps.
Be a man and go zero ABS.

This is GT6 - it's doable now :)

OK... let's do a real comparison. F40, stock, S1 tyres @ Deep Forest Raceway, no aids except ABS 1. Lap times.... from as many people as want to give it a bash no matter their perceived skill level or what controller they're using.

I just did a 1'26.063 after 5 warm up laps. There is a lot more time there but it will take me considerably more laps to find the limit and have the confidence to push it. This isn't a competition as such, I am just intrigued as to how far the F40, which is about the hardest to manage I've come across so far, can be pushed with the current physics model.

By way of comparison, I did a 1'27.501 with a stock Aston Martin V8 Vantage (the huge tank like one) on the same tyres, also after 5 warm up laps.
LV and I will get on soon and give it a try..

Also, if anything I said came across malicious or disrespectful, that's not how I meant it to be received.

*Neil Patrick Harris voice*

Challenge Accepted! ;)

thats great that you did some tests, but the problem seems to be with racing tyers. I'm not sure how testing non racing tyers is a benefit.

I hear alot of "you cant drive" "slow down" but the issue is so extreme, and has absolutely nothing to do with overdriving the car. If you are saying the cars are fine then you obviously aren't experiencing the glitch!!!! Many people also say "do stage 3 lighten move the weight" "try a lower grade tyre in the front" basically making the car uncompetitive, and not worth the time or credits.

I read a post talking about loosing their garage something with the A,B,C tuning sheet causing an error (carg?) I've also read a post about racing exhaust not changing back. Ive had many times an error message trying to enter single player events read something like (race data error do not match) wouldn't let me race in any event no matter the car, until I rebooted the game. This game obviously has many minor bugs, and is far from finished (many unreleased, and or options that were iin GT5 that will come in updates) Basically we are beta testers, and Im fine with that. I'm a huge GT fan always have been and always will be.

I can actually remember this being a problem in GT5 at one early point with the 5.2 R8 Audi @ HSR Reverse coming out of thee last turn, and @ Cape ring in the carousel. I don't remember exactly what update fixed or caused this, but you had todo a lot of weight ballast to make the car drivable.

They're all designed for beginners to complete, especially because most of what you mentioned has SRF forced on. It doesn't really mean much to get gold in an event now.
How can it not mean much when license tests are the skill gate in the game's overall progression?

@Vagabond
Lap 1: Stock everything, no warm-up laps, not cutting the grey patch, mistakes. Using Clutch + H-Pattern.

1:23.289

This was literally, the first lap.

Any idea what that same car did in GT5? That seems very fast for that Car/PP/Tire combination.

Any idea what that same car did in GT5? That seems very fast for that Car/PP/Tire combination.
No clue, didn't drive it often on GT5 to be honest. I could host a public room for people to watch if there is any doubt.. I don't think it's THAT incredibly fast.

@Vagabond
Lap 1: Stock everything, no warm-up laps, not cutting the grey patch, mistakes. Using Clutch + H-Pattern.

1:23.289

This was literally, the first lap.
By 5 warm up laps, I mean warming me up, not the tyres. I mostly do my flying laps on lap 1 also. 👍

Here's an interesting thing. I just swapped my wheels back to stock, based on what @Stotty said earlier and set a best of 1'22.479 right out of the box... What's up with that? Tyres actually do have less grip (I assume contact patch?) with custom wheels. :crazy:

That aside, I'll have to be brutally honest and say the F40 on stock wheels is an absolute blast. Its tricky but fun to play at the limit - turn-in is wonderful if you balance it just right to get on the throttle early. Lift too much and it will bite but then I expect the real F40 is quite a handful. On stock wheels, no complaint from me. My problem with it was obviously using custom wheels... that's damned disappointing and certainly something I hope is addressed soon.

I'm happy to do a video of the lap, or upload my replay if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited:
New time after 8 laps (had to take a couple to get back up to speed from clipping the grass in the last turn on entry).

Ferrari F40 completely stock, ABS 1 only @ Deep Forest Forward. 1:21.549

Edit: Track grip settings set to real, tire wear and fuel consumption Off

How can it not mean much when license tests are the skill gate in the game's overall progression?

Because it's designed so everyone can progress through the game, even GT5 practically gifted gold. Try playing GT-GT3 and getting all gold, it's vastly harder despite the much more simplistic and easy physics.

Room name is GTP Private Showcase

I'm willing to drive any of the car and track combo's people are wondering about
To be honest, having swapped my rims back to stock, I can't see any problem with the F40. I'll now be swapping all my MR rims back to stock of course.

Just put two inches up on the rims for a stock F40 and was able to get a 1:23.160. The handling characteristics of the car felt exaggerated with the wheel size increase.

I'm going to switch to 1 inch up and try that

Here's an interesting thing. I just swapped my wheels back to stock, based on what @Stotty said earlier and set a best of 1'22.479 right out of the box... What's up with that? Tyres actually do have less grip (I assume contact patch?) with custom wheels. :crazy:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Chris 👍

It's nice to know it wasn't just my old brain imagining things :lol:

Hopefully something PD can fix via a patch sometime soon.

No clue, didn't drive it often on GT5 to be honest. I could host a public room for people to watch if there is any doubt.. I don't think it's THAT incredibly fast.
Haha, no I wasn't doubting you, just wondering if the car is faster in GT6 vs GT5.

It's not going to be fixed in a patch it was meant to be like that. PD said in one of their interview session months ago wheel size was going to affect handling performance on cars based on the work they were doing with KW Suspensions. No one should be surprised by this.

I hope so, I like dressing up from time to time :P

Haha, no I wasn't doubting you, just wondering if the car is faster in GT6 vs GT5.
I'll try it out in a bit - I'm curious now too.

Found my feet with stock rims and did 1'21.787 (no I'm not turning it into a pissing contest :sly:) but it does prove a satisfactory test for me and once you find the limit, honestly guys, the F40 is an absolute joy to drive. 👍

I'll put the video up later on (takes me a while to upload) and those of you having trouble with this car, or cars with similar characteristics, give it a watch and pay attention to steering, throttle and brake inputs. I'm doing this to try and help some of you to gain an understanding of how to tease pace out of these type of cars by the way, not to try and rub anyone's nose in it. My intention was (and is) to understand if there are problems, if so, what they are and how to get around them. So far, I guarantee that custom rims on the F40 ruin its balance.

It's not going to be fixed in a patch it was meant to be like that. PD said in one of their interview session months ago wheel size was going to affect handling performance on cars based on the work they were doing with KW Suspensions. No one should be surprised by this.

It's not wheel size, it's wheel width that's the problem.

Swapping to a new set of rims shouldn't mean you go from (say) a 10" wide rear to an 8" wide rear and lose 40-50mm of rear tyre width, killing the handling in the process.

That's just stupid.

Oh, and I think pretty much everyone will be surprised by it.

Last edited:
Try lowering your LSD to 10 15 15
You seem to be under the impression that a professional driver, driving a car designed to his liking is the same as a guy on his couch driving said car with a thumbstick.
Just switching from a controller to a wheel I was able to reduce spins tremendously. Just think what a difference going to a real wheel with an unlimited number of "data points" would make.
lower

Swapping to a new set of rims should mean you go from (say) a 10" wide rear to an 8" wide rear and lose 40-50mm of rear tyre width, killing the handling in the process.

That's just stupid.

Where is your proof that this is what happens when you swap wheels?

Try lowering your LSD to 10 15 15
Who are you saying that to? We're doing these tests with totally stock cars.
Are you coming across as rude because you intend to or is it lack of emotive communication? No-one is being confrontational and yet your posts seem to suggest there is some sort of argument going on in which you occupy the moral high ground. Stop doing that, we're all on the same side here and no-one is questioning your driving ability so stop using that as an excuse for attitude. If you genuinely want to help people understand how to drive difficult cars, say or do something helpful. If not, be quiet. So far you've said "Stop whining and learn to drive" and "Look how good I am" neither of which are going to help anyone or win friends and influence people.

Last edited:

Without talking directly to the programmers I can't prove it, but it seems a much more reasonable conclusion to come to than adding 1 or 2" to the diameter having the effect, particularly when you see this...

Car on the left has stock rims, car on the right has after market rims. Looks to me like they don't model wider rears when you fit new rims so you simply get 2 sets of fronts. On the RGT, this means you have a 225 section rear tyre instead of a 285, which would go a long way to explaining why the handling goes to pot when you change the rims.

gemasolar-jpg.89548

Swapping to a new set of rims should mean you go from (say) a 10" wide rear to an 8" wide rear and lose 40-50mm of rear tyre width, killing the handling in the process.

That's just stupid.

Here is some photographic proof to back you up.

Stock '05 Ford GT. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
2LVGa9E.jpg

Stock F40. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
nURD7QR.jpg

Back