(Spin) Problem Handling Cars list

• Thread starter Gturbo5
  • 598 comments
Who are you saying that to? We're doing these tests with totally stock cars.

Are you coming across as rude because you intend to or is it lack of emotive communication? No-one is being confrontational and yet your posts seem to suggest there is some sort of argument going on in which you occupy the moral high ground. Stop doing that, we're all on the same side here and no-one is questioning your driving ability so stop using that as an excuse for attitude. If you genuinely want to help people understand how to drive difficult cars, say or do something helpful. If not, be quiet. So far you've said "Stop whining and learn to drive" and "Look how good I am" neither of which are going to help anyone or win friends and influence people.

I'm definitely not being rude, I was asking a legitimate question for proof on his claims that when you put larger aftermarket wheels on a car in decreases the width of the tire. I think I'm in my fair right to ask for proof on a blatant claim like that.

Also, I never said "Look how good I am" sir, so you can stop putting words in my mouth. I posted my lap times to a challenge you came up with. Talk about being rude.

Edit: After having seen the pictures, I agree. Thank you for the proof. It seems larger wheels fit skinny tires on the rear. Something that needs to be fixed.

Here is some photographic proof to back you up.

Stock '05 Ford GT. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
2LVGa9E.jpg

Stock F40. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
nURD7QR.jpg
Wow! I haven't noticed that until now, this needs to be fixed. I wonder why they would make them like that in the first place.

I'm definitely not being rude, I was asking a legitimate question for proof on his claims that when you put larger aftermarket wheels on a car in decreases the width of the tire. I think I'm in my fair right to ask for proof on a blatant claim like that.

Also, I never said "Look how good I am" sir, so you can stop putting words in my mouth. I posted my lap times to a challenge you came up with. Talk about being rude.
Its the way you post then - its very abrupt.

And I'm not putting words in your mouth - again, the way you post says it and I was referring to the way you entered this thread, not your lap times which I did ask for.

FFS, I give up with some people.

If you took time to read the posts in the thread as opposed to simply jumping in a claiming the cars are fine (as you have on a number of occasions) you would see I 1st highlighted this 4 days ago and politely asked for others opinions. At no stage did I say any cars were broken, or make any 'blatant claims', only that I thought the cars handling deteriorated when you fitted new rims.

Given other, well respected, drivers have now agreed, and we have photographic evidence that the tyres look narrower on the rear when you fit new rims, I think it's a reasonable and logical conclusion that it's a lack of tyre section width on cars that typically need a wider rear tyre that's causing the change.

Of course you can continue shout at people that everthing's fine if you like.

FFS, I give up with some people.

If you took time to read the posts in the thread as opposed to simply jumping in a claiming the cars are fine (as you have on a number of occasions) you would see I 1st highlighted this 4 days ago and politely asked for others opinions. At no stage did I say any cars were broken, or make any 'blatant claims', only that I thought the cars handling deteriorated when you fitted new rims.

Given other, well respected, drivers have now agreed, and we have photographic evidence that the tyres look narrower on the rear when you fit new rims, I think it's a reasonable and logical conclusion that it's a lack of tyre section width on cars that typically need a wider rear tyre that's causing the change.

Of course you can continue shout at people that everthing's fine if you like.

I never saw your post from 4 days ago, all I saw was people complaining that the MR cars are broken and undriveable which they are not. The Rim selection is flawed.

Literally - quoting him saying "Look how good I am" means you were in fact, putting words in his mouth :lol:
You're a right comedy duo you two... literally a laugh a minute and 21.5 seconds.

If anyone who is actually having trouble and wants help or advice is left reading this thread, are there any other 'broken' cars (with stock rims) that could be looked at with a view to giving a few tips and practical guidance on driving them?

@Johnnypenso - I also just had an interesting little experience running the same combo (F40 stock @ DFR) in GT5 - got to 1'24.666 before I got fed up with trying to fight the turn in and mid-corner under-steer. There is less traction as well as the front seeming to have no grip. If it isn't pushing, its power over-steering and finding the balance is hit-and-hope rather than feel. The GT6 model is much more precise, better balanced, has better traction and is generally a hell of a lot better experience than its predecessor.

PMSL

And yes, the stock F40 was nasty in GT5 👍

And on that happy note, I'm off to bed... it's nearly 1am and I have to be up for work in 6 hours FFS.

Enjoy the game people :D

You're a right comedy duo you two... literally a laugh a minute and 21.5 seconds.

If anyone who is actually having trouble and wants help or advice is left reading this thread, are there any other 'broken' cars (with stock rims) that could be looked at with a view to giving a few tips and practical guidance on driving them?

@Johnnypenso - I also just had an interesting little experience running the same combo (F40 stock @ DFR) in GT5 - got to 1'24.666 before I got fed up with trying to fight the turn in and mid-corner under-steer. There is less traction as well as the front seeming to have no grip. If it isn't pushing, its power over-steering and finding the balance is hit-and-hope rather than feel. The GT6 model is much more precise, better balanced, has better traction and is generally a hell of a lot better experience than its predecessor.

Mitch and I had a room up and there are people in here asking questions and getting advice, even posted the room number and everything.

Glad that now we can confirm that aftermarket wheel inch up is bugged, best to stick with stock wheels for now on all my cars :lol: I am testing my Zeek MR2 GTS with aftermarket wheels now, seems to be fine, mmmm, will have test further.

Without talking directly to the programmers I can't prove it, but it seems a much more reasonable conclusion to come to than adding 1 or 2" to the diameter having the effect, particularly when you see this...

Car on the left has stock rims, car on the right has after market rims. Looks to me like they don't model wider rears when you fit new rims so you simply get 2 sets of fronts. On the RGT, this means you have a 225 section rear tyre instead of a 285, which would go a long way to explaining why the handling goes to pot when you change the rims.

I'm sorry but that's hilarious.
Can't say I've driven a car with stock then aftermarket wheels.
If this is indeed true, wow. Makes changing wheels pointless.

I'm sorry but that's hilarious.
Can't say I've driven a car with stock then aftermarket wheels.
If this is indeed true, wow. Makes changing wheels pointless.

Seems happen only on cars with different tire width at the rear ( wider ), will need further tests on FR cars with same tire width front and back.

I'm out.. Just got outta the room. We helped a couple guys understand the car better. Glad we all had this discussion. ;)

thanks Mich your a real cool guy, appreciate the conversation and driving.

I bought a new F40 kept the wheels stock and it handled alot better than my F40 with 2" upgraded rims. The 2" upgrade was undrivable for me IMHO BROKEN. The stock F40 was loose and unforgiving, but with focus and alot of effort its drivable but i dont think it could beat many if any cars with a 30-50PP advantage.

Mich brought up some good points that I can't argue with, except I belive the way this car handles in this game is still off. IMHO if the real life F40 handled this way they would all eventually get wrecked. I dont think it would ttake anything more than just driving it carfully to achieve total destruction.

Mich brought up some good points that I can't argue with, except I belive the way this car handles in this game is still off. IMHO if the real life F40 handled this way they would all eventually get wrecked. I dont think it would ttake anything more than just driving it carfully to achieve total destruction.
Respectfully, I disagree - having now done extensive testing with the bone stock F40, it is a wonderful car to drive. You have to respect it, you really do but from that respect comes confidence and then pace when you can predict how it will try and bite you. Most people that bought F40s I can almost guarantee were not driving them like maniacs trying to go full throttle everywhere.

Then again...
image.axd

What's typical? And what was that about attitude? :confused:

I do slightly apologize, it was more intended for mitch than you, but it does still apply to you. allow me to explain in quite an off-topic rant. :) You, and mitch, sometimes can come off as arrogant and higher-than-thou and present the attitudes that were mentioned along with it. This is what Vegabond was getting at. When the someone points it out (because it can be offensive) you guys bail on the thread and ignore the problem. Now, I respect you LV, you're a great driver and definitely apply good input into topics but just sometimes there's something that just pushes your posts a little. Do you see what I mean? I don't intend to offend you, just would like a little less abrasiveness, and I'm sure other members would agree.

I've spent some more time examining tire widths, and this seems to affect every single car you put custom rims on if the car comes with different width tires. Cars with the same size all-around don't appear to be affected. Sometimes the difference is small like on this 2014 Corvette Stingray:
Ob2co4H.jpg

For a few cars, like this 1969 Camaro Z28 Race Car, the difference between stock and custom rims is quite staggering.
YturoVr.jpg

Looks to me like they don't model wider rears when you fit new rims so you simply get 2 sets of fronts.
I lined up the front tires of a stock '05 GT(yellow) and the rear tires of one(red) with custom rims. This picture doesn't show it clearly (will try to get a better picture), but from the same distance they are EXACTLY the same width.
FouTTuR.jpg

Here is a better picture comparing the front of an F40 (red) with the rear (yellow).
AiVDHlT.jpg

PD has neglected to make sure that custom rear rims share the same width as stock. When installing aftermarket wheels, the front tire width is used for the whole car.

Last edited:
In the end, the people who were complaining that something wasn't right were the ones who were right.

ps: I'll have to change all my after market rims now. Thank you for that info! 👍

Swapping wheels issue is different from the main thread which seems to indicate undrivable (broken) cars, swapping wheels issue needs a separate thread so as not to get confused with "broken" cars as the OP indicated.

From the OP, stock Cizeta drives fine, not a broken car.

Now I know why my Lamborghini Diablo GT with the rims tuned behaves so bad compared to the stock one.

Rolling back to the standard rims. (yet need to check that out with my own eyes)

Swapping wheels issue is different from the main thread which seems to indicate undrivable (broken) cars, swapping wheels issue needs a separate thread so as not to get confused with "broken" cars as the OP indicated.

From the OP, stock Cizeta drives fine, not a broken car.

While I agree that the aftermarket wheel issue doesn't need to be discussed completely in this thread, it does need to be mentioned. While some people like to drive completely stock cars, some others like to customize the appearance of the car before driving it. If they change the rims, they will turn an already hard car to drive into one that is actually broken. The Cizeta is a perfect example. It is a challenging car to drive stock with the massive engine in the back. Take away nearly half of the available traction on the rear and it becomes even more challenging. The car isn't broken stock, but with aftermarket wheels it becomes extremely unstable when attempting any turn. For example, at High Speed Ring it goes from understeer in the long banked corner to extreme oversteer with only a wheel change.

thanks Mich your a real cool guy, appreciate the conversation and driving.

Thanks man, good talking to you :cheers:

In the end, the people who were complaining that something wasn't right were the ones who were right.

ps: I'll have to change all my after market rims now. Thank you for that info! 👍

You just had to say it didn't you.

This thread, was a thread claiming that the CARS were broken. Until 2 hours ago, I had no idea there were problems with Aftermarket wheels. I was arguing the CARS were fine. I don't put aftermarket wheels on many of my cars, therefore had never experienced the problem.

In the end, the people saying there was nothing wrong with the cars were correct - but on the flip side, we have all come to the agreement that there is indeed something wrong with aftermarket wheels on cars. If there is any doubt, that this thread is about the cars, and not the wheels, read the title. It is a thread to showcase individual cars that have "broken driving dynamics" ... the way the last page and a half has went, every car on aftermarket rims will have altered characteristics (Note: I did not call them broken).

Last edited:
How about the RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02 ?

Can you please take the effort to compare two of this car with different tyre width? I would like to know how big the difference is, seen from a picture! Appreciate it!

EDIT: with it beeing 625pp and no aids, i thought it handeled just fine! I havent got time to do some testing with stock tyres, hoping for a picture :)

Back