(Spin) Problem Handling Cars list

• Thread starter Gturbo5
  • 598 comments
How about the RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD) '02 ?

Can you please take the effort to compare two of this car with different tyre width? I would like to know how big the difference is, seen from a picture! Appreciate it!

EDIT: with it beeing 625pp and no aids, i thought it handeled just fine! I havent got time to do some testing with stock tyres, hoping for a picture :)
I'm not going to post anymore pictures showing wheel widths in this thread, but I can say the custom tires are narrower (235 vs 255). Very similar to the Corvette picture I posted on the previous page.

For any other questions, the custom wheel issue has its own thread right here:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...e-same-width-changes-grip-and-balance.294129/

Last edited:
Without talking directly to the programmers I can't prove it, but it seems a much more reasonable conclusion to come to than adding 1 or 2" to the diameter having the effect, particularly when you see this...

Car on the left has stock rims, car on the right has after market rims. Looks to me like they don't model wider rears when you fit new rims so you simply get 2 sets of fronts. On the RGT, this means you have a 225 section rear tyre instead of a 285, which would go a long way to explaining why the handling goes to pot when you change the rims.

gemasolar-jpg.89548

Does the game even model this? I mean, the tires are obviously narrower, but does it really affect the handling? I thought this was purely cosmetic and didn't change handling.

Does the game even model this? I mean, the tires are obviously narrower, but does it really affect the handling? I thought this was purely cosmetic and didn't change handling.

I just tested the Cizeta V16 at High Speed Ring with my wheel(DFGT). Bone stock I managed a 1:13.116. With just the aftermarket rims I was able to hit 1:16.063. While there is more time to be found in both (I was a full second quicker with stock rims one lap till I messed up), it would take a greater driver than me to knock 3 seconds off the aftermarket time. With stock rims the car wants to kick the rear end out in slow corners, but is surprisingly stable at high speeds and actually understeers at speed. The aftermarket rim version requires very minute wheel adjustments and wants to kick the rear out at any speed. Lift-off oversteer is present in both, but with the aftermarket wheels it is much more pronounced.

While the car is not broken at all in its stock form, it is quite challenging when the wheels are changed. With a wheel it is manageable, but with a pad it is extremely unforgiving. I can totally understand how someone could think it was broken if they only drove it with different rims while using a pad.

Last edited:
I tested aftermarket wheel +2 inch up Rays GTS wheel on MR2 GTS ZEEK Top Secret ( replica ) 400PS, 320+ ft lb torque, 1270 kg, stock weight distribution. I don't feel much difference in handling, managed low 2:39 at Bathurst with comfort soft and no ABS or other aids. As the real car has the same tire width front and rear when stock, the wheel inch up might not have issues like those with wider rear tire. I also find that fitting SH tire at the rear and comfort soft at the front gives better rear traction and balance ( the real ZEEK MR2 has wider rear tire )

Running 9/2 brake balance, I was able to brake hard into 2nd corner from over 230 kmh, full brake force then gradually decreasing until entry speed - no lock up, I love it :D

Last edited:
The Diablo GT2 is a wonderful car. It WILL FORCE YOU to be the beat driver AND tuner you can be. When I first drove the car in the first IA series race I had the same reaction to some people complaining about it's handling. If your natural instinct to that handling wasn't " I can tune this to make it work" then you're doing it wrong. I put a great setup I use specifically for MR cars ( PM me if you'd like it ) and it handled remarkably. One thing is for sure: this car requires you to work and develop with it. It's not going to come with you just lile that.

Funny people are complaining about this car. Sure it's hard to drive, but on first go I expected it to be a lot worse. It definitely gives me some trouble but it's not as hard to drive as I thought.

Bottom line: if some of these cars are too hard to handle, then you're playing the wrong racing game. I drive with zero assists other than ABS set to only 1. I find it very boring if a car is easy to drive. I love the challenge.

GT6 has license tests too, they're called license tests. So there goes that argument.
I'm up to International A and have golded every single one. Goodwood too, up to the Red Bull x1 and all coffee challenges and mission races. All gold.

Looks like you are just here playing devils advocate and for all the wrong reasons.

I've spent some more time examining tire widths, and this seems to affect every single car you put custom rims on if the car comes with different width tires. Cars with the same size all-around don't appear to be affected. Sometimes the difference is small like on this 2014 Corvette Stingray:
Ob2co4H.jpg

For a few cars, like this 1969 Camaro Z28 Race Car, the difference between stock and custom rims is quite staggering.
YturoVr.jpg

I lined up the front tires of a stock '05 GT(yellow) and the rear tires of one(red) with custom rims. This picture doesn't show it clearly (will try to get a better picture), but from the same distance they are EXACTLY the same width.
FouTTuR.jpg

Here is a better picture comparing the front of an F40 (red) with the rear (yellow).
AiVDHlT.jpg

PD has neglected to make sure that custom rear rims share the same width as stock. When installing aftermarket wheels, the front tire width is used for the whole car.

this is a joke right?

Looks like you are just here playing devils advocate and for all the wrong reasons.
No I wasn't. I was showing that there's inexplicable gulf between the greatest skill gates of the game and the topic of this thread.

Just baffling to me how a series which has lately been marked with countless glitches yet so many people in this thread thought that this part of the game is suddenly unflappable and immune to programing errors. Hilarious and sad at the same time.

wow, why custom rims change to small width tire? stock rims - big width? custom rims change grip??? just wow i do test again! Damn PD.

Least its apparent that cars arent broken, its the rims that are broken. I never wasted money on rims yet which is why i never got this problem, or goodwood as all cars are standard.

Clearly it models something as the car's behaviour changes significantly when you fit new rims.

The photographic evidence, coupled with specific testing carried out by a few pretty decent drivers (myself, Vagabond and LVRacer are all either Division 1 Gold at GTP and/or ex GT Academy finalists) whilst not proof, does indicate this is the most logical conclusion.

New rims are definitely NOT just cosmetic.

Now i know why my 1265 HP Pagani Huayra with race mods and of course CUSTOM RIMS is behaving like a bull in corners... Funny thing is that i have set up suspension to the point where i can drive it like a race car with a little more sensitivity on throttle.
Was testing it yesterday on the Silverstone and i will give it a try tomorrow on stock rims.

Whether PD actually modeled tire contact patch this time round I still don't know. All of my cars have custom rims and I'm still having a blast driving them, especially MR/RR cars. I am in love with the original Ford GT40 even more than I've ever been with the RUF's.

Now i know why my 1265 HP Pagani Huayra with race mods and of course CUSTOM RIMS is behaving like a bull in corners... Funny thing is that i have set up suspension to the point where i can drive it like a race car with a little more sensitivity on throttle.
Was testing it yesterday on the Silverstone and i will give it a try tomorrow on stock rims.

wow did not tune the huayra already but almost 1300 hp must be crazy. Wanna try that, the original car is a handfull (only drove it on sport hard).
And for the tire width custom rims. I'm pretty sure they patch that just like they continu support for gt5 3 years long.

No I wasn't. I was showing that there's inexplicable gulf between the greatest skill gates of the game and the topic of this thread.

Just baffling to me how a series which has lately been marked with countless glitches yet so many people in this thread thought that this part of the game is suddenly unflappable and immune to programing errors. Hilarious and sad at the same time.

Because some people cannot control MR cars it's logical to assume that the game has a glitch that is making it much harder to drive those cars? How ridiculous is that? If you read my post I was saying that licenses allowed you to drive but it didn't mean that you could drive nor proficiently handle every car you sit yourself into. I should have been more clearer.

Clearly it models something as the car's behaviour changes significantly when you fit new rims.

The photographic evidence, coupled with specific testing carried out by a few pretty decent drivers (myself, Vagabond and LVRacer are all either Division 1 Gold at GTP and/or ex GT Academy finalists) whilst not proof, does indicate this is the most logical conclusion.

New rims are definitely NOT just cosmetic.

Seems to be a bug that takes only one tire into account when replacing tires at all four corners for rims. This should be remedied by changing the code to directly copy the original tire width no matter the rim size. This was also the issue in GT5 and it's time we brought it to PD's attention since they think it's ok. It's not because contact patch is greatly reduced especially with MR cars that use rather wide rear tires(GT40, Ford GT, Huayra, etc.). It's pretty telling how quickly PD got 1.02 out to fix that money problem, now lets see if we can get them to fix the rim mod problem and add tire width to the upgrades and front and read width can to chose separately and also left and right suspension setting should also be able to set independently for NASCAR. Aero also needs a bit of tweaking as cars accelerate too fast once they actually reach there theoretical limit where air density and drag should be so great that acceleration should be sluggish and nearly non existant.

That's what your problem right there was: Assuming.
Honestly you really need to learn how to carry on a conversation, isn't what you're defending an assumption that the MR cars are somehow broken in the game. Then you tell me I'm assuming. Incredible, this conversation is done.

Well done fellas. I could not believe my eyes when I saw those tire width differences in the photos. :eek:

Now I want to see if it affects the Tommykaira ZZII, though for different reasons.

When I got my ZZII, I immediately splurged and grabbed a set of +2 inch wheels and a rear wing. Driving the car (no suspension changes), I found it to be extraordinarily planted to the tarmac, although it seemed to understeer when exiting corners; without a wild side, it was a bore to drive.

My original thought was to remove the rear wing and return to stock wheels, but now your find has me wondering if returning the wheels to stock will only increase the borefest. :crazy:

Honestly you really need to learn how to carry on a conversation, isn't what you're defending an assumption that the MR cars are somehow broken in the game. Then you tell me I'm assuming. Incredible, this conversation is done.
Nope, I never assumed but once again you are. Quite the firm ground you decided to double down on.

Now I know why my Lamborghini Diablo GT with the rims tuned behaves so bad compared to the stock one.

Rolling back to the standard rims. (yet need to check that out with my own eyes)

So this is after market/tuned rim thing not a size of the rim thing:confused:? (sorry if that sounds a bit rude:guilty:)

Last edited:
Deltawing. I spun It 8 times as 24hrs nurburgring. STILL I won...

Last edited:
Awww ok so for now the safest bet is too stick with "Stock Rims?":grumpy:
Depends...not all cars suffer from this. Not sure...In my case I use to drive my cars as they are without so much tuning at all. So once I want to tune a car I buy a new one...at the end I have two of the same...one as it is and one tuned.

Let´s see if this new update fixed that though. (downloading 1.02)

Depends...not all cars suffer from this. Not sure...In my case I use to drive my cars as they are without so much tuning at all. So once I want to tune a car I buy a new one...at the end I have two of the same...one as it is and one tuned.

Ok thanks for the heads up:tup: Im just wondering whether this problem has anything to do with the trouble i was having with the Alfa 8C. No matter what brake settings i put on it, the thing simply refused to stop sensibly like most other cars.:crazy::confused:

You are correct this does not affect all cars, the GT40 does not suffer since it cannot increase wheel size and so far I have yet to notice any other cars aside from the car's mentioned the F40 and GT. I'll search through to which cars get the one size fits all custom upgrade. up 1 inch doesn't affect the 2013 Viper, '66 GT40, Caddy CTS-V. It seems to affect cars randomly and not a global thing as I originally thought. Not all MR cars suffer just a certain few as I tried it with the R8 FSI V10 and tire width remained constant. I'll test with rims that are not really deep to see if something happens.

Ok thanks for the heads up:tup: Im just wondering whether this problem has anything to do with the trouble i was having with the Alfa 8C. No matter what brake settings i put on it, the thing simply refused to stop sensibly like most other cars.:crazy::confused:
Swap back to standard rims drive the car, see if it handles better. If it does then it's a tire width bug with up sized wheels.

EDIT

Coming back from checking, it seems the game does have an algorithm to stagger rims based on original wheels offset. I used the GT40 to test it as those wheels on that car are the epitome of staggar, the game will make rims that have offset edge and center deeper matching the original cars' setup. Just have to figure out why it doesn't do this for every car and fix it PD. This will be one less bug to deal with, also we need the option to select tire width so we can get better rear traction for MR and FR cars as long as they support it, which pretty much every sport and super car does.

EDIT 2

I was testing my GT40 with stock wheels and then with custom wheels on the stock suspension settings to ensure that tire width visually reflected grip. Ok I used Stowe Circuit as a proving ground using the GT40 with stock wheels I pulled 56.256 so off I went to swap wheels. I swapped for custom wheels and did a 55.146. Yes the car was skittish and while driving I thought that I was actually slower, but it seems that custom wheels weigh less and PD doesn't tell you that but it's modeled and the suspension simulation reacts poorly to it. The car is very unstable with lighter wheels on, sure it's faster but it's more on the edge when you drive it. So PD needs to add more information so we can tune these cars better instead of finding out later on that custom wheels actually do more than look pretty.

Last edited:
Fail to understand what you're trying to point out here. One car goes faster in top speed? The Formula GT has a higher PP than a Veyron, the Veyron has a higher top speed.

I don't get what you're trying to say.
I understand that base hp for The Ferrari is 400 hp and the NSX is 276 but you would think at the same pp they would be competitive.

Um OK let me get this straight. You want me to compare 2 version of the game with very different physics and then tell you that it is different. How about I just tell you that it is a know fact that KAZ put a lot of time and effort in making sure the physics of the game got more realistic compared to older versions.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/technology/ Here read it for yourself from the official product page. This should help you understand why your times are off..
Good point, now that I have put a few miles on these cars it is more realistic.

Here is some photographic proof to back you up.

Stock '05 Ford GT. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
2LVGa9E.jpg

Stock F40. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
nURD7QR.jpg
Thank you,

Here is some photographic proof to back you up.

Stock '05 Ford GT. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
2LVGa9E.jpg

Stock F40. Stock wheels on the left, same size as stock but custom on the right.
nURD7QR.jpg
When I mentioned it earlier I did not know if it was the paint that made the car handle differently or the upgraded wheels, now I know. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back