Sportsmanship Rank

• Thread starter Obsidian-2
  • 110 comments
United States
SoCal
Obsidian-2
As far as I can tell after extensive testing in sport mode ... SR rating is essentially based on nothing other than clean sectors ... you either get a +1, -1 or neutral for each sector. "Clean" means you do not run off track, you do not contact another car or wall, and most ridiculously, no other cars make contact with you at all.

I got demoted to C because I kept getting rammed from the side and behind (that's what she said, bahaha), but seriously ... it took five super clean "races" for me to get back to B from C. And by "super clean" I mean I had to let everyone pass me on lap one and then put in multiple, consecutive clean sectors just to advance back to B. I love the idea of SR rating ... but why does everyone start at B? Put them at C or D.

As it currently works, if someone knocks you off track from behind, you get a time penalty for going off track and then a -1 in SR. The physics should be, if the car behind hits you — at any point on the track — they get the demerit, not you. Obvious brake checks being the exception.

At this point, I am just going to enter as many Sport mode races as I can, drop to the back, drive clean sectors until I get my A or S rating, then never do sport mode again.

Last edited:
I had no idea how it worked.

I take it if you get a Blue SR rating at the end of a race this means an increase, White neutral and Red a decrease?

1. Hi, My ID is Baulario and I have been playing from the start of this new Beta of Gran Turismo Sport.
I think I am a clean player on the Online Mod of GT SPORT.

2.My problem is the next one.
I normally start the races on pole position and on the last 3 of them the player in second position pushed my back car and hit me to the wall. HAVING A PENALTY OF 10 SECONDS while I was leading the race.
This happened to me for three times

3 I DON´T understand why I have a penalty if someone hit my bacK pushing me to wall and the having a 10 sec penalty.
I can send videos of this Issue.
Please solve this problem beacause it also makes people loose the CP POINTS.

That's the same method I've used back in the beta to get a better SR to be able to drive with normal people. Once you are in a lower SR group due to people that bump into you and cause your rating to drop there is almost no other effective way to get a better SR rating than applying this workaround. The downside of this is the poor performance in races which will lower your DR.

The only other option for me was to have very good qualy times to be in the top 3 when the race starts. The lower level SR rating doesn't have often very fast driver either and so you are in front of all the carnage that happens where everyone is driving. Most annoying for me were controller users which drive left and right in zic zac which sometimes made it impossible to overtake without affecting your SR.

I just had a very similar problem as well. I wasn't in the lead but I was in second and 1st place and me were going through lapped traffic and I noticed that 1st place was having issues trying to pass the person in 9th place. 9th was trying to put him in the wall. 9th was driving dirty. So the battle was over and it was my turn to attempt to pass this person 1st did get through finally and I passed him high in a turn with enough room between us to fit 2 trucks in. and I didn't have a problem getting by him however when i came to the next turn I had to brake hard and turn tight. As I was going into the turn 9th place completely rammed me broadside and knocked me in the wall which sent my car in a uncontrolled spin and I got a 14 sec. penalty. by the time I recovered and got my car under control I was in 11th place with still a 14 penalty. So Yea this penalty BS needs to go away cause it is seriously unfair to the people who races clean.

Its not a problem, that's how the the system works. It cannot predict who caused the collision, then both drivers are penalized. It works that way also in iRacing.
It's not a problem?????? I call it a huge problem. When you get rammed and taken out of the race while the other person may get a penalty but much less of a one cause all he hits was me. I know cause I seen his penalty it was only 3 sec. It is seriously unfair and needs to taken out of the game or modified by PD

It's not a problem?????? I call it a huge problem. When you get rammed and taken out of the race while the other person may get a penalty but much less of a one cause all he hits was me. I know cause I seen his penalty it was only 3 sec. It is seriously unfair and needs to taken out of the game or modified by PD
I know it's frustrating at first, but you need to keep racing to improve your drive rating. Race as clean as possible as well. You will see that as your DR and SR improve, these dirty drivers will stop appearing in your races.

No, it will stay and for good reason.
The majority of drivers in sport mode are clean. I had 7 races last night with different users all of which were fine.
If you're running with or up to back markers you have to understand there's a reason they're at the back of the pack.
Adjust you're driving to accommodate, don't rush the pass.
When you do get round your face should be glued to the mirror until you get through that next corner, off you go.
That's actually a big part of the fun for me, avoiding the angry revengy types.

It would be better to have SR rating with more grades, not only in letters S,A,B,C,D etc but may be in points like in iRacing

It would be better to have SR rating with more grades, not only in letters S,A,B,C,D etc but may be in points like in iRacing

It was like that (with numbers instead of letters) at the very beginning of the beta and than they changed it to letters.

I personally haven't had any issues in the races I've done. I think a reply here was right for now and that's to qualify high so you're away from that crowd. I understand the point isn't this but I think in time your rank will get you in with all like minded people where that doesn't happen. First the game needs to come out and second we need to give it more time than a day to see how its pans out. Also as a Iracing member here I can tell you there is always contact in some races. Its a up and down process and like iracing it takes you until C class to start getting with like minded clean racers. So lets give it time and see.

I know it's frustrating at first, but you need to keep racing to improve your drive rating. Race as clean as possible as well. You will see that as your DR and SR improve, these dirty drivers will stop appearing in your races.

I think is BIG PROBLEM as well.
You can'T GET same or bigger penalty as the driver who push you oout of track.
Hope the FIX this because it takes time to be on pole position to be kicked by a dirty driver

It's a tricky one. Sadly the game will only ever see it as you hitting a wall (regardless of the reason that you hit the wall).

The argument is that the people who do this consistently will end up with a poor DR and you will eventually not race against them, but in the first few days of online racing everyone is lumped together.

I think it's either a teething issue which is to be expected, or something that may need altering later. Perhaps there is a scheme where you can report false penalties along with the video capture of the event and then PD retrospectively change your DR - but it wouldn't affect that particular race result. Kind of like a crash happening towards the end of a real race. Nothing the stewards can do at the time, but actioned retrospectively.

Perhaps putting a 'mark' against the people who do the shunting such that their DR is lowered? So you could individually report a bad racer? Would need to be administered properly, and probably manually, though as you'd get a lot of idiots 'rage reporting' someone better than them out of envy...

I had no idea how it worked.

I take it if you get a Blue SR rating at the end of a race this means an increase, White neutral and Red a decrease?

Yes, plus you should be able to keep track by how many + or - sectors you get during the race.

C might actually be better than B, because every newb starts with B for some reason. It would be better if everyone had to work their way up from E.

Each sector has a +X point. These +X points are influenced by clean overtakes as well.
Any stronger contact (old beta allowed for contact with less that ~10km/h difference) is - Y. Being off-track (in the old beta) had a -Y tick per couple seconds or so which sucked if you tried to rejoin the track cleanly, dunno how it is now.
The sectors were weighted differently according to track/lap count.

Deciding who's to blame is too much. Too many variables to decide what speed two cars should be at the same point.
Marking both is fair in the long run and it should promote higher awareness.
'Heavy damage' races should further improve contact aversion.

No obligatory rear/side view mirrors is bonkers though. As I see, the lack of training and importance on being aware of your surrounding is the biggest cause of accidents. They do have 2 indicators of proximity but direct visualization is better.

Regardless of any system, **** will happen, it's inevitable and natural.

I like the SR implementation so far. The UI feedback is much better than in PCars2 - you immediately know when you did something "bad".

What I don't like are today's daily Sport events. The Tokyo Highway race is full or crashers, and it's impossible to avoid them on that claustrophobic circuit. The Suzuka group B race is OK, but lots of people are chaotically sliding all over the place. And the group 3 race on that oval, dunno, I kept getting disconnected during matchmaking both times, but I think oval racing in GTS is horse manure, because the arcade collision physics eliminate all the strategy and skill it takes to succeed in RL oval racing.

Yes, plus you should be able to keep track by how many + or - sectors you get during the race.

C might actually be better than B, because every newb starts with B for some reason. It would be better if everyone had to work their way up from E.

But then, after the game is out, new players would only be matched with the worst of the worst. Would be a very discouraging experience.

I actually came here to post a topic saying the opposite. I got knocked down to C for a little bit but got back into B and now I'm only racing with B Racers with the driver rating of mostly C and most of the races have been pretty fun today. Courses a couple people that get in a bad mood or whatever that run into you, but it seems like the longer you play the better they are doing at matchmaking.... I definitely have noticed the difference between the c and the d matches earlier today and the B ones this afternoon.

I got knocked down to a C on Suzuka (pleaaaaase don't underestimate that first turn!) and earned the B back on whatever the C course is. That was harrowing, but very rewarding--especially at the end when everyone went nuts.

I have a question not quite related but since you guys have lead some races...

I have won a few races and haven't been awarded the achievement / milestone for it! Has this happened to you guys too?

XXI
No, it will stay and for good reason.
The majority of drivers in sport mode are clean. I had 7 races last night with different users all of which were fine.
If you're running with or up to back markers you have to understand there's a reason they're at the back of the pack.
Adjust you're driving to accommodate, don't rush the pass.
When you do get round your face should be glued to the mirror until you get through that next corner, off you go.
That's actually a big part of the fun for me, avoiding the angry revengy types.

Actually my experience is not with the back markers - it is folks in 3rd or 4th behind me - and sometimes even 2nd place, that blocks and simpy drives dirty.

All this holier than though nonsense when it is the faster people that are the dirtiest racers - period.

I am a very good offline racer, and when I venture online it just reaffirms that many of the online 'aliens' are just as bad sports as the slower racers and will often push past and drive dirty if you try drive clean and avoid collisions.

I have qualified way up the grid the last few times and it was the folks just behind that where the dirtiest at the start and into the first few corners.

Zero enjoyment in such racing.

My SR takes a beating when i come up to lap slower cars and they block the racing line, then try to outbrake into you when you pass them before a corner.

when battling for position at the front the racing is pretty clean from my perspective as long as there is space in front.

But BB Racewayis just terrible it's designed for you lose SR i would prefer longer tracks so you don't have to encounter much or any lapped traffic on these small races.

Quite the same for me. Qualifies usually around 5th out of 24, and get rammed during the first lap. Then I have to overtake all these guys, and you lose a lot of time. Did a race on Suzuka East yesterday with group B Impreza, started 5th, and was 19th (!!!) after 2 corners and penalties. Finished 6th... But still... a fun race!!

Well another thing¡¡

Did Someone notice that yesterday night there was a guy called PERPI-SUBIIE27 ,WHO get into the top 10 times in all tracks in less than 30 min??

I am top 7 of the world i BBraceway with 25.317 and it tooked me time be driving those times.

DID SOMEONE NOTICE THIS?

Attachments

• IMG-20171010-WA0049.jpeg
    IMG-20171010-WA0049.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 92
This was an issue in the beta a few months ago. But it solves its self pretty quickly because the people who crash into also suffer a loss of driver rating, where as you wont.

This means the more you play and race, the less likely having people like that is. Also you have to remember, turn 1 is a nightmare for both games and real life. Hell even F1 drivers cock it up from time to time!

It's a very frustrating system and needs a lot of work in my opinion.

I seem to continually get knocked down every time someone hits the back of my car, you get hit and go off track and it penalises you.

It also seems to me like it penalises mistakes way more than it rewards good driving, you couple that with stuff like being penalised for being hit and it doesn't exactly inspire you to race clean.

That Tokyo race is just a complete and utter waste of time as well, I was really close behind someone, we both braked and a massive bunch of cars just barrelled into me, I went ghost as it nudged me through the car in front as a ghost then again I got penalised for it.

The principle behind it is OK, but they really need to tweak it a lot and give it some more variable to judge from.

Certainly, it seems to have a massive factor of "you left the track so you're in the wrong" whether or not it's your fault.

I think I have figured it out, for the most part. If you do happen to get knocked down a rating, it seems like you need to put in a perfectly clean race in the next one and you will go back up. That worked twice for me.

However, if you mess up in that first race, it will take awhile to increase again.

Getting a bad SR from getting hit from behind is the worst aspect of it. If they would fix that, and start beginner's at C, it would be pretty good.

I was very competitive at Suzuka, but often sacrificed position to preserve my rating when approaching obviously bad drivers. Not ideal. I should be very close to A, and I think things will be much better once I get there. The three current races are all easy to get blue ... If you don't fight too hard.

The idea of SR is great. I can definitely see racing online in rooms that limit to A and above.

I think I have figured it out, for the most part. If you do happen to get knocked down a rating, it seems like you need to put in a perfectly clean race in the next one and you will go back up. That worked twice for me.

However, if you mess up in that first race, it will take awhile to increase again.

Getting a bad SR from getting hit from behind is the worst aspect of it. If they would fix that, and start beginner's at C, it would be pretty good.

I was very competitive at Suzuka, but often sacrificed position to preserve my rating when approaching obviously bad drivers. Not ideal. I should be very close to A, and I think things will be much better once I get there. The three current races are all easy to get blue ... If you don't fight too hard.

The idea of SR is great. I can definitely see racing online in rooms that limit to A and above.
It's not likely to change. Any time you implement an algorithm where the players know what will result in a penalty, you'll get people doing it deliberately. They are in front, you are behind, they hit the brakes, you get a penalty. It sucks to get a penalty getting hit from behind but you just have to work around it. Accede the position if necessary, when someone is following too closely. Eventually your rating will go up to the point where you'll encounter less and less people of that nature and you'll be able to race closer with like minded racers. Racing with a driver rating system requires a different mindset. Your first races are an investment in the future and your mind should be on avoiding contact at all costs rather than your finishing position or earnings.

I think the idea is great and I truly think the match making is mostly on par. BUT with races being so short and some tracks being so small/tight, the urgency of people to pass is far greater and turns into more bumping and crashing. If the races weren't 3/4/5 laps, it might prove to be a little less crazy, but even then like you said, the only way it seems to be able to improve, is to fall back, or wait for clean air. Otherwise it's not really possible to improve the SR. Even if you're trying to cleanly pass people, there's always that guy who scoots over just enough to make contact and void your progress.

Back