Sportsmanship Rank

• Thread starter Obsidian-2
  • 110 comments
The sr and penalty system is broken. I'm getting really frustrated by it ! People hit me from everywhere and I'm the one that gets penalised and my rating goes down! That makes no sense

The time penalties suck too. You are supposed to slow down to clear them. However, on any track with corners that you need to slow for anyway, they automatically clear ... so basically no penalty at all (unless you happen to get one at the very end of the race). Ovals might be different where you don't really ever slow. Something like an 50% power reduction until the time penalties clear would be better.

suzuka-drs-png.72075

Really hard to find something that can help devs...

I have a bit different experience, maybe it is +1 (green), 0 (nothing) and -1 (orange) for sectors. But there is also a red one when you hit someone, or someone hits you, and by the looks of it, it is more like a -10 when that happens.
And of course, when someone finishes race in first place, seems as he gets a big boost in + range (maybe something like 5).

Cheers...

I have a bit different experience, maybe it is +1 (green), 0 (nothing) and -1 (orange) for sectors. But there is also a red one when you hit someone, or someone hits you, and by the looks of it, it is more like a -10 when that happens.
And of course, when someone finishes race in first place, seems as he gets a big boost in + range (maybe something like 5).

Cheers...
Is there a way to see your rating in points and where you need to be to get promoted? I managed to get back to B last night and had one or two quite good races, but why the hell should I get a red rating on a straight when I get bumped from behind because the idiot couldn’t be bothered to pass clean? Ruins the experience IMO.

Here is one of the races I had, not so many bumpers, but still, there are some of them that I simply cannot understand.

...ah, and I got off track once because of stupid ghosting behind the Merc. Reverse cam is around 1 second behind so you don't miss anything in first run :)

Started in 10th place, and then went all the way to 21 because of stupidity of some players...

Cheers...

Is there a way to see your rating in points and where you need to be to get promoted? I managed to get back to B last night and had one or two quite good races, but why the hell should I get a red rating on a straight when I get bumped from behind because the idiot couldn’t be bothered to pass clean? Ruins the experience IMO.

...well, only those two hands and letter... lol, sadly there is nothing you can see current rating except the letter... however the other rating has a circle that fills when you drive fast and good...

Cheers...

I am not talking about clean sectors here but AFAIK if 2 cars colliding, intentionally or not, both cars will get their SR down. Its not only you. (except minor collide?) You can recover them by passing other cars without collision. This is what I understand since previous beta.

But we need more confirmation from PD how the system works.

I am afraid the wasted SR worked like previous builds of Tom Clancy's The Division...that would be too difficult. Ex: when you kill NPCs you get lets say 10 XP. 50 NPC = 500 XP. But when you get killed, you lost 1000 XP. Sigh

...well, only those two hands and letter... lol, sadly there is nothing you can see current rating except the letter... however the other rating has a circle that fills when you drive fast and good...

Cheers...
Aye, figured as much! Oh well, here's hoping that over time the +SR ratings outweigh the -SR ratings and other things also get taken into consideration. I did qualify 3rd one race last night and held position and it was actually a really good tight race. It's when you get further down the field that bad things start to happen, lol

I am not talking about clean sectors here but AFAIK if 2 cars colliding, intentionally or not, both cars will get their SR down. Its not only you. (except minor collide?) You can recover them by passing other cars without collision. This is what I understand since previous beta.

But we need more confirmation from PD how the system works.

I am afraid the wasted SR worked like previous builds of Tom Clancy's The Division...that would be too difficult. Ex: when you kill NPCs you get lets say 10 XP. 50 NPC = 500 XP. But when you get killed, you lost 1000 XP. Sigh

...well, problem is that usually (this happen to me) the one that hits you only gets penalty and - rating, but you end up off track, spinning, taking time to get back on track, and penalty and - rating... wich is totally idiotic to me...

I hope they do a minor tweak to the SR before the launch, because a slight bump draft should not result in SR tanking.

Slight bumps are welcome to the racing games, but problem in GT as in any other is again in p2p (console related, spreads like virus onto PC)... so that slightly bump on your screen maybe looks like really hard bump to someone else (especially one you hit) :)

As someone who's been very hyped to get this game on launch, I may not be picking up this game after all. GTS is indeed a good game and feels more fresh, compared to the previous iterations, but the SR rating is the main reasons I may be holding back picking this up. Or at least at launch. The races I have been involved in is someone ramming into me and knocking me off track, but yet my SR rating goes down, while the other players who does it gets a better pole position and win. It's really frustrating.

The SR rating is very innovative indeed, but it's tiresome and really frustrating that someone hits me, I'm the one who loses credibility.

Another thing to note is that I lightly bumped someone twice (since the cars were all bunched together in a corner) and yet my SR rating goes up. But I would say it was a real small bump. I just don't know what's going on. Hopefully they'll look at this issue.

It's so weird. The game actively punishes you for being the victim of incidents. If you push someone aside, chances are they will drop in SR or even get a random 10 second penalty.

It does actively punish you, totally agree. Last night I was side-by-side on a wide corner, me on the outside and we were both clearly aware of each other and doing what we could to avoid contact. He ever so gently slid into me and I got a -SR... Then you get the lag glitches where a car will suddenly go from being 2 car lengths away to right in front of you, and again, a little nudge and you get -SR. I know it's hard to judge who is at fault sometimes, but it does mean that I end up not really racing properly and being more concerned with avoiding people at all costs and dropping places.

The physics should be, if the car behind hits you — at any point on the track — they get the demerit, not you. Obvious brake checks being the exception.

The problem is that you'd run into a nightmare of trying to define in general terms every type of situation that can occur on any type of track and with any type of car. It's not doable.

Giving both players the penalty is a much simpler method, and although it doesn't seem fair it actually works in the long run, since players who cause a lot of incidents will receive more penalties over time than those who fall victim to incidents caused by others.

GPR
Also do penalties round up at the end. I had one race where I was working off a penalty got it down to 0.4 of a second and at the end race standings it was +1 sec, which cost me a place.
Yes, the penalties round up to the nearest integer if you don’t serve them all before the end of the race. I had a race in which I had around one tenth of a second of penalty unserved by the end of the race, and the finalized results show that I had a one-second penalty added to my time. Luckily my post-race standings didn’t get affected much. :)

Also, it’s pretty much impossible to avoid collisions in the Gr. 1 cars. They’re so fast and decelerate so quickly, it’s pretty much impossible to avoid crashing into the car in front if you braked a little bit later, and that’s with a pretty good internet connection!

Personally I consider the Gr. 4 cars as the ‘sweet spot’. Unlike the N100 cars, they’re fast enough to be entertaining and a joy to drive, but they also allow enough room for error and correction, unlike the Gr. 1 cars. I haven’t tried any of the Gr. 3 cars in an online race, but I think they’ll be too fast for me to react.

GPR
I try to drive clean as best as I can can but it's just not easy with random reckless behaviour around you.
Luckily, I haven’t encountered any bad drivers online so far. I also drive as cleanly as I can, but there were times when the competition got so heated I had a little bump into other online drivers or miscalculated the braking point after a long straight, which explains why my SR dropped from B to C after a few races. I would apologize to the driver involved if I did that, but that’s only limited to when I had a good and sporting race. :lol: A guy whose PSN ID is Quathamer can attest to that!

I have a question not quite related but since you guys have lead some races...

I have won a few races and haven't been awarded the achievement / milestone for it! Has this happened to you guys too?

Same for me, Dion.

Ran 3 races last night/ this morning. Lead all 3 start to finish. Got 3 pole positions recognised, and 3 consecutive clean races, but no race wins.

On line seems to work pretty nicely to me.... though so far I haven't had to actually race anyone door to door!

Same for me, Dion.

Ran 3 races last night/ this morning. Lead all 3 start to finish. Got 3 pole positions recognised, and 3 consecutive clean races, but no race wins.

On line seems to work pretty nicely to me.... though so far I haven't had to actually race anyone door to door!

Hi both,
This thing did not happened to me :S

The system is in a good way, but this actions shouldn't take advantage from the one who hits on purpose. Hope permanent damage arrive to Sport, that will stop this.

It’s quite easy to get an S rating. The system is not too harsh on mistakes if you can manage to drive properly the rest of the race.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the gameplay of the beta but I feel extremely let down by how the SR works and I just wanted to rant about it and see if anyone is having similar issues.

Despite qualifying extremely well about every other race I seem to get punted off the track by someone who can't make the corner. This then means I go flying off the track and lose a significant number of places or even sometimes receive 10 second penalties. On top of all this my SR keeps dropping. I race as cleanly as possible but it is getting ruined by other players. I'm now at an E and I have never even rammed into another car. It just makes no sense. The fact I'm also now racing other E players don't help either. This is really ruining the experience for me.

Anyone else had similar issues or am I just unlucky?

Yep! My throat hurts from yelling so much in anger during the races, I'm also at an E now. As horribly disappointed as I am about all the missing cars, tracks and RPG like features of the old games, if they could just get this right and make it so clean racers consistently end up with other clean racers it would make it worth it to me on that alone. I'm still up in the air about buying it and it really makes me sad to say that considering this is the first freaking GT release on the PS4, this was supposed to be an unbelievably epic occasion. Makes me want to just head into the other room, fire up my HD CRT and start a new save on GT4.

Same for me, Dion.

I won my first online race last night after the leader of the race spun out at the last corner of Interlagos (watched him go wide and right rear wheel touch the grass and there it went :lol:)...Anyway, while I did get the recognition for fastest lap and clean race, the one for winning the race did not activate for me either.

Not happy today - got my DR/SR rating up to C/C over the last few days of the demo, and then some ****** hit me up the rear, causing me to collide with others. By the end of the race my rating ended up as DR - D, SR - E. Now I am back in with all the shunters and punters !!
I think I need a break from it to calm down !!

Haven't been doing much racing, so I never experienced this SR system yet. I'm a time trial guy, so I like competing with my friend's qualifying times. I've been doing some races this morning, and it was all fine and dandy until this last one, which luckily didn't bump me down from B.

On the second lap of Maggiore some jerk in a Bugatti decided to brake check me. This also made the guy who was tailing me rear end me since he was pretty close as well. I got a 9 second penalty which got bumped down to a 4.5 second penalty since all my following sectors were clean.

The thing that bugs me about this incident is the guy who brake checked me was an A rank. There's gonna be dirty racers in any rank.

Rating system is somewhat flawed today. Everyones rating seems to go down. Best so far was being rammed to the rear and got 10sec penalty and demotion.. Sr has gone from B to D in few races..

My SR has been victimized over and over again. Once you get into middle of the pack, there's nothing that you can do. It's a complete jackass festival back there. I can usually qualify in the top 5, but not uncommon to end up 20th.

I think having 24 players on a 3 lap race is asinine. The race becomes the 405 freeway where everyone is driving like they don't care about anything and will run over anyone who gets in their way. I'm fine with 3-5 lap sprint races, but cut the grid to 8-12 or so. 20+ lap endurance race, ok 24 on the starting grid.

I've won a few races, gone through hell and high water to get them, but didn't get the achievements (?!).

Same for me, Dion.

There's a bug. Sport Mode race victories don't count for the achievement atm. Only arcade and maybe lobby ones. It's a point on one of the latests PD infos (ingame).

Well it's annoying when people do it on purpose. But people should also understand that not everyone online (including me) has tons of hours of experience in online racers. So racing incidents do happen. My DR is still D I think, close to C and my SR is A. Have been driving a lot in the middle of the pack.

Unless you are a top 3 driver, the best way to get the rating up is to grind at the back don't race anyone. I finally got mine up to A doing that. I will just keep grinding until I get it to S and then I figure I can start having fun racing again.

Back