SRF on seasonals

matrimonio69
Hello- recently there's been a lot of hub-bub about Skid Recovery Force being forced on the recent Seasonals. I would prefer the choice like others, but wondering why they are doing it....

Maybe we are part of the development of GT. Perhaps the are planning a re-vamp of SRF, and by forcing it on everybody who participates, they are obtaining masses of raw data that shows when and how SRF is activated. With thousands of different drivers and different levels with different cars.. With all this data, they can analyze how they could improve SRF for a future update, or GT6.

Maybe they will introduce a SRF 'lite'?

However, even with SRF on, it is possible, through good driving, to 'activate' it as little as possible. When SRF is activated, the tyres make a different squeel, and since I'm using a wheel, I can feel it in the feedback. When that happens, I back off on the throttle.

Also, I've noticed that if I do a lap in practice mode with COMFORT SOFT tires, and SRF ON, the time is quite close to the same lap with COMFORT HARD and SRF OFF. So, one could run this seasonal with COMFORT HARD, to help counter-act the 'benefit' of SRF.

Just some thoughts.

I personally hope this will be the only GT game with SRF.

SRF? Never heard of it.

Single Religious Female?

Smiling Reduces Fatigue?

Seasonal Racing Fanatic?

I'd go for the last one myself.

I'm sure they will always have SRF of some sort. Its def a good thing for kids/ beginners/ non-drivers. It keeps them from getting scared off the game, because you have to admit, the physics takes some getting used to.

SRF? Never heard of it.

Single Religious Female?

Smiling Reduces Fatigue?

Seasonal Racing Fanatic?

I'd go for the last one myself.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. It stands for Skid Recovery Force, and it adds extra grip to the tyres when the game senses oversteer in your car :) .

SRF is a great addition to the GT series as it lets players who are not much into sim racing enjoy the game too, the only problem is forcing everyone else to use it at certain points. Someone once compared PD to a bicycle shop selling adult bikes with stabilisers welded on to them! They need to stop patronising us, & recognise that some of us do not want to use it.

PD Logic:

Let's make a "Real Driving Simulator". Now let's make the physics realistic. Now lets make a driving aid that makes them less realistic. And finally, lets force everyone to use it, MWUHAHAHAHAAA!

:boggled:

VBR
SRF is a great addition to the GT series as it lets players who are not much into sim racing enjoy the game too, the only problem is forcing everyone else to use it at certain points. Someone once compared PD to a bicycle shop selling adult bikes with stabilisers welded on to them!
Kudos to the guy that thought up that comparison.
VBR
PD Logic:

Let's make a "Real Driving Simulator". Now let's make the physics realistic. Now lets make a driving aid that makes them less realistic. And finally, lets force everyone to use it, MWUHAHAHAHAAA!

:boggled:

That is exactly what they are thinking right now.

There's no good reason to force an aid. None. How anyone can argue in it's favor is beyond me.

Is this the result of Kaz's crack seasonal event planning department? Great idea guys, lol.

I've also noticed SRF being forced on in some parts of the game, specifically Grand Tour Toscana Tarmac... was it always forced on or did this change recently?

Put whatever you want on the Seasonal races... just leave the TT's alone please 👍

Just leave it optional for everything. 👍 People do the seasonals for fun, why is PD being the fun police?:confused:

Jeez, why not force on all aids and change the name to Forza Turismo?:dunce:

Just leave it optional for everything. 👍 People do the seasonals for fun, why is PD being the fun police?:confused:
Fun police? That's new :sly: . And actually people do the seasonals because on average you earn more money from a seasonal race compared to an online race or an A-spec race.
Jeez, why not force on all aids and change the name to Forza Turismo?:dunce:
Instant copyright claim made by Microsoft on day one of FT :dopey: .

More than likely they factored forced SRF in to make a quick grab for those newcomers to the game who bought it at Christmas, which was when the holiday seasonal was released. The newcomers could have a better chance of making bigger seasonal bucks to get 'em going in the game.

Great thread, I agree with that, from few reasons. History teaches us how "SRF" assist is merely a continuation of physics-dualism introduced in GT5:Prologue as "Normal/Professional" physics. I presume PD decided to replace that naming in order to provide all players with idea they're competing within the same "physics universe". However, the "ubermensch" logic of SRF-enabled physics clearly speaks against that presumption.

And it should just be optional.

I have nothing against SRF or any other assists, but there should be a option to disable them if we want. As VBR said on previous page, imposing it on top of the great physics engine as mandatory is just plain crazy IMO.

Of course, there is completely another *problem*. I was driving a "Holiday Seasonals" for few times and was wondering would the 1st place even be possible without SRF (especially for Nurb event). In order to win you have to respect restrictions of PP & tyres and you have to run a perfect times in order to catch upon AI-sequence. I wondered would disabling the SRF (as I said, especially on Nurb race and partially on Suzuka/Spa races) heavily compromised tyre-wear and traction up to the point where winning would be absolutely impossible..

Another area that is plagued with SRF are License tests and few races in Special Events hall. I still can't comprehend the idea behind that. I have nothing against SRF being an option, I have nothing against being it pre-selected as ON (to ease for the less demanding players), but to keep it ON as mandatory... for License Tests.. it is just mind-boggling.

But there is possibility how either Licenses, Special Events races or some of the Seasonals would not be manageable to win without SRF within the imposed AI-sequence/time-prerequsite. So, it maybe just falls under the umbrella of balancing the challenge for all types of players.

Probably. But they why not leave it on as default with the option for the rest of us to turn it off? PD are so thoughtless sometimes.

VBR
Probably. But they why not leave it on as default with the option for the rest of us to turn it off? PD are so thoughtless sometimes.

I agree.

There were more then few races in GT5: Prologue that just couldn't be won with Professional physics. But it was up to every player to try to reach his own challenge before "surrendering" himself to Normal (SRF ON) physics.

It should not be mandatory anywhere, it should always be an option.

More than likely they factored forced SRF in to make a quick grab for those newcomers to the game who bought it at Christmas, which was when the holiday seasonal was released. The newcomers could have a better chance of making bigger seasonal bucks to get 'em going in the game.

So is that what all this is about? Just so newbies can grab the game, go on seasonals without changing any driving set up and make some quick cash?

If you finish a game too quickly, then it becomes boring.

Maybe we are part of the development of GT. Perhaps the are planning a re-vamp of SRF, and by forcing it on everybody who participates, they are obtaining masses of raw data that shows when and how SRF is activated. With thousands of different drivers and different levels with different cars.. With all this data, they can analyze how they could improve SRF for a future update, or GT6.

Maybe they will introduce a SRF 'lite'?
I think this might be a more likely option. I don't think PD are going to make newbies have a quick grab for cash. IMO I think they only did it for some data for different types of cars so they can make improvements in an update or GT6.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. It stands for Skid Recovery Force, and it adds extra grip to the tyres when the game senses oversteer in your car :) .

You obviously haven't been following the banter between CargoRat and Dalone in the other threads around here recently. Dalone certainly knows what SRF is. He was joking.

All the serious racing fans bought the game years ago. Perhaps PD are trying to milk the remaining potential by making the game seem 'easier' so they can sell a few more copies at the end of its shelf life. I wonder how far away GT6 Prologue is?

Last edited:
You obviously haven't been following the banter between CargoRat and Dalone in the other threads around here recently. Dalone certainly knows what SRF is. He was joking.

All the serious racing fans bought the game years ago. Perhaps PD are trying to milk the remaining potential by making the game seem 'easier' so they can sell a few more copies at the end of its shelf life. I wonder how far away GT6 Prologue is?

Citation needed.....

Now that makes sense. The seasonals have been, on average, getting harder over the last few months*. So they make a seasonal with SRF forced on and, while a newbie won't necessarily Gold the races they don't do so badly that they stop playing.

*Or age is slowing me down!💡

Ah yes, SRF. That is Dalone's training wheels, he doesn't leave home without them.:lol: Without SRF, Dalone falls down and goes boom. :lol: I kid because I care. :sly:

Seriously tho, I hate SRF with a passion. Its like driving on a velcro track with velcro tires. It turns "The Real Driving Simulator" into "The Real Arcade Racer". Having said all that tho, I realize that there are lesser skilled people that play the game that may need the extra help to get started in playing and getting used to the game. As much as I despise SRF, I have nothing against anyone who uses it. The thing that I don't like tho is having it forced on. I do not want to use it and I don't want to be forced to use it. I think all aids should be made optional. Do not force them on, or off. Leave it up to the player to decide what they want to use.

The reason why I despise SRF so much is because its not even like a real aid. Not like TC, ABS, or any other of the available aids. To me, SRF is like instant arcade mode. And it is for that reason that I hate it when people in the Seasonal threads (when it is an option and can be turned off) come in and brag about their accomplishments with SRF turned on. My response is, and always will be, "ok hotshot, take off the training wheels and lets see how you do then." The reason for that rather harsh statement is because SRF gives you a huge advantage over everyone else not using it. Its like sim mode vs. arcade mode. I mean, if you want to use it in the Seasonals, thats fine and I have no problem whatsoever with anyone using it, just don't come in and brag about your times or how low of a PP setting you ran while using it. Those accomplishments in no way should be compared with the accomplishments done by people not using SRF. They are entirely two different types of physics, way more than any of the other aids.

And one last thing here. When I refer to SRF as "training wheels", its not a knock against anyone who uses SRF and it is not meant to offend anyone. I just use that term in like a lighthearted, kidding type of way. Like I said before, I understand there are new people just starting to play the game and may need help in the beginning, but I just think at some point in your learning curve, the training wheels need to come off if you are serious about playing the game as a real driving simulator, as the games' subtitle suggests that it is.

Anyways, I hope I have clearly explained my views on SRF and hope I have not offended anyone in the process because that certainly is not my intention. Peace, I'm out.

VBR
SRF...Someone once compared PD to a bicycle shop selling adult bikes with stabilisers welded on to them!

Kudos to the guy that thought up that comparison.

I saw it in one of those demotivaltional pictures on the net, I tried looking for it but couldn't find it. If anyone else knows the one I'm talking about, post it up in here.

👍

Could we not just agree to disagree on this issue now, its completely down to an individuals opinion.

I think the whole point of the thread was that the individual had no choice.

So just to recap, because I've been away from the game a little while, which particular seasonal forces us to use SRF..??

{Cy}

The current one, 400 PP compact car races.

Thank you. I have actually run these race, but didn't notice that SFR was turned on, I'll have to revisit tonight, as I was on the verge of posting a couple of cars specifically for this event. I'm a little disappointed that SFR has been turned on, with no option to turn it off. Might as well just select a car and let B-Spec Bob run the events :grumpy:

I accidentally ended up in a room the other day, where everyone was running SFR, couldn't figure out why I was 2-3 secs off the pace. It was only when I went to change tyres that I saw SFR wasn't greyed out. I hate it...

{Cy}

Latest Posts

Back