SRF on seasonals

SRF optional is a no-brainer. Now it has gone so far that there are people complaining about the people who complain about SRF forced on. We will get nowhere like this, PD has forsaken us hardcore gran turismoers for a more casual crowd. Not even leaving an option for us to do it our way. Hopefully we will see some light in the end of the tunnel with future seasonals.

// Platinum Trophy holder

SRF optional is a no-brainer. Now it has gone so far that there are people complaining about the people who complain about SRF forced on. We will get nowhere like this, PD has forsaken us hardcore gran turismoers for a more casual crowd. Not even leaving an option for us to do it our way. Hopefully we will see some light in the end of the tunnel with future seasonals.

Just for the record, I am not in the "casual crowd." I have been with GT since day one. I play 4 or 5 days a week, have invested thousands of hours to figure out how tuning works in the game and have shared ALL of that knowledge with the community, for free. If you want to compare who's PP is bigger, Mr. Platinum Trophy, then let's drop pants now and get on with it. I am not telling people not to complain, just to do it in a more constructive place, like this thread. I find it beyond annoying to see the same people post exactly the same thing every week with every new seasonal.

My view? I am a realist. I believe that logic and reason wins out in the end every time. Some of you dreamers are holding out hope that if you just complain in every seasonal thread that PD will finally notice and do something. How many times can you do this :banghead: before you realize that this path is not going to get PD to fix this issue. I am simply tired of seeing the exact same conversation every week, knowing that it will not get PD to take notice. You can share your opinion, but I reserve the right to mock you for the continued walking into the brick wall effort. Find another way to get PD to fix this if you really care about it.

Look, I don't disagree with you that SRF on is busted. What is the timeline correlation to when SRF became forced on? 2.09 update? I bet that when they did one of the tuning cheat fixes like the ride height glitch, it screwed something else up? Was SRF their quick fix? Who knows - all speculation. My tunes seem to handle just fine offline and in online races. With SRF on, they still handle similarly, but have gobs more grip.

I don't know how much more clearly to state this. Disagree if you wish. It is your right.

Yes, thats all I want is an option to turn it off.

Perhaps PD foresaw some way of hacking the grip values which SRF negates. Looking at their recent actions, the motivation for changing things drastically seems to have been the hacking 'scandal'. Let's believe they had our best interests in mind when they started this carp. Maybe we're being saved from an even worse fate. (No I don't believe any of that BS either but it was an original idea :sly:)

So let me get this straight....as i have said before...hardcore gamers can play everything on gt5 and do well. they have time trials(twice a month) and aspec(once a month) seasonals. Me average gamer, weekend player(this week 1st time ever i have played dufing the week) have aspec seasonals ...once a month...time trials with srf forced off is not for my level..so I jsut try and get gold if i dont get too fed up.
Now maybe someone can clear this up...the TT 59 cape ring is nice drive but autumn ring is sliding and drifting around the track...which is the "real" srf off?

And u say well why not put it optional....and i say sure but put TT srf optional too then.
as others have said...u have many options...less grip tires, lower pp...etc..what do i have except put more hours in,get a wheel..,, for something that is jsut a game for me, and i pick up the ds3 to have fun..and win now and then.
anything that means something on gt5 are the time trials.
And the srf off people are complaining????

Last edited:
...time trials with srf forced off is not for my level..so I jsut try and get gold if i dont get too fed up.
Now maybe someone can clear this up...the TT 59 cape ring is nice drive but autumn ring is sliding and drifting around the track...which is the "real" srf off?

And u say well why not put it optional....and i say sure but put TT srf optional too then.
as others have said...u have many options...less grip tires, lower pp...etc..what do i have except put more hours in,get a wheel..,, for something that is jsut a game for me, and i pick up the ds3 to have fun..and win now and then.
anything that means something on gt5 are the time trials.
And the srf off people are complaining????

Are you comparing the two time trial events in #59? I did think that the GTR's tyres where too grippy. I think sports tyres would have been more appropriate then racing. In someways i felt for the GTR part of the TT i might as well have had SRF on having so much grip from the tyres.

I've gone beyond casual gamer myself. Didn't mean to but I have. Of course we don't want it forced on, who would. I'd much rather have freed up physics. But I'd rather live in the solution than the problem.

I started a series of Challenges that utilize some methods for casual and non-casual gamers to try and circumvent SRF's effects. No it's not perfect. But obviously some GTP non casual gamers still find enjoyment with these Events.

If you drop down a tire grade or two, turn off all the other aids especially ABS then you've got a pretty challenging Event. Especially if you're a good driver that doesn't need to be rescued by SRF.

I'm a no aids guy all the way now and hated what PD did, but I tested SRF ON vs OFF with different tire grades to see how it felt. Unless you're drifting turns or driving a messed up line, dropping down a grade feels ok. It won't allow NO ABS lockups as much which some may really like.

I challenge anyone to test say SH tires with SRF OFF then run CS tires with SRF ON and see if you're faster or if you've got more grip in normal driving. No aids on. If you purposely get out of shape, yes you'll get rescued but then you'll be losing time anyway.

?..... Now maybe someone can clear this up...the TT 59 cape ring is nice drive but autumn ring is sliding and drifting around the track...which is the "real" srf off?

The GTR is a race car, with front and rear downforce, 4wd and racing hard tyres, which offers far more grip than the Lexus which is a RWD super car on sports hard tyres.

The two cars have totally different handling characteristics and the problem with SRF is it takes away some of the characteristics and with it, appreciation of the cars which can be experienced by good, bad and indifferent drivers alike.

Just for the record, I am not in the "casual crowd." I have been with GT since day one. I play 4 or 5 days a week, have invested thousands of hours to figure out how tuning works in the game and have shared ALL of that knowledge with the community, for free. If you want to compare who's PP is bigger, Mr. Platinum Trophy, then let's drop pants now and get on with it. I am not telling people not to complain, just to do it in a more constructive place, like this thread. I find it beyond annoying to see the same people post exactly the same thing every week with every new seasonal.

My view? I am a realist. I believe that logic and reason wins out in the end every time. Some of you dreamers are holding out hope that if you just complain in every seasonal thread that PD will finally notice and do something. How many times can you do this :banghead: before you realize that this path is not going to get PD to fix this issue. I am simply tired of seeing the exact same conversation every week, knowing that it will not get PD to take notice. You can share your opinion, but I reserve the right to mock you for the continued walking into the brick wall effort. Find another way to get PD to fix this if you really care about it.

Look, I don't disagree with you that SRF on is busted. What is the timeline correlation to when SRF became forced on? 2.09 update? I bet that when they did one of the tuning cheat fixes like the ride height glitch, it screwed something else up? Was SRF their quick fix? Who knows - all speculation. My tunes seem to handle just fine offline and in online races. With SRF on, they still handle similarly, but have gobs more grip.

I don't know how much more clearly to state this. Disagree if you wish. It is your right.

As I recall, SRF was first forced on in the "Holiday seasonals" and has been stuck that way ever since. Hybriding may have started by around that time but I don't recall it being extremely widespread until a while later. I'm also not sure that I can see SRF being any sort of a counter to hybriding as a cheat method, since a cheap car without SRF is still a cheap car with SRF.

I don't know whether they found that the holiday events had high participation and so they thought the SRF might have had something to do with it or if it was something completely different. I'd like to think that by now they have noticed that people all over the world(unless Japanese like it, we don't see too many of them here) are complaining, and I'd like to think that a sizable number of those complaining are not bothering to participate in the affected events. So you would think that if that was their theory it would have been disproven by now unless new players who don't care/notice have overwhelmed the others.

There's also the chance that they just want to "encourage" - in the worst way possible - people to try driving with SRF. With all the data they collect, they are quite possibly aware of the percentage of people who use it regularly... at least as aware as Codemasters are of how many use interior view. Also, PD has changed the format of the seasonals every now and then(I think roughly every six months or so) and so this may just be their current "phase" and they'll change it eventually, on their own schedule.

Personaly I think people have every right to complain, as publicly as possible, and to keep doing so, if they have a problem with it. Complaining about it in the threads which are directly related to events which are directly affected by the issue is perfectly legitimate, suggesting that it should only be ever mentioned in this one place is as offensive to me as the concept of "free speech zones." Not trying to start a fight, just stating my own opinion on the matter. Talking about it right where everyone has to see it might not make it change, but talking about it in a nice little box reserved for only those who wish to talk about it is not any more likely to make it change and might well have the opposite effect.

I've stated before that I'm opposed to forcing any options either way except where it makes sense such as in online lobbies or ranked events. I can't see any reason to ever race any of the seasonals for any reason other than to farm money because driving with the AI in anything outside of arcade mode or maybe endurance races and one makes is as appealing to me as dealing with other idiot drivers trying to figure out how to drive through a construction zone. And I don't really care about making money any more so I have no need to do it and so I don't complain about it much. If I did, I'd probably be complaining too, although since it's just to farm money I wouldn't be that upset. Once in a while I might want to try a seasonal just for something different, but as long as SRF is forced on I probably won't bother since I don't find driving with it to be very pleasant and there's a hundred thousand other things I can do with my time.

Has anyone tried using less grippy tyres (say comfort softs, or hards) as a compensation for the SRF?

Perhaps that could sort of cancel out the effects of SRF.

Has anyone tried using less grippy tyres (say comfort softs, or hards) as a compensation for the SRF?

If anything it makes it more apparent.

As I recall, SRF was first forced on in the "Holiday seasonals" and has been stuck that way ever since. Hybriding may have started by around that time but I don't recall it being extremely widespread until a while later. I'm also not sure that I can see SRF being any sort of a counter to hybriding as a cheat method, since a cheap car without SRF is still a cheap car with SRF.
*snip*

Has anyone asked themselves why PD forced the licence tests to have SRF on? That's always irritated the 🤬 out of me.

Yes, I have. I've tested it out comparing my lap times with it on and off. See post #307 above.

Dropping grades definitely gives less grip. People act like SRF yields ungodly amounts of grip without seeing for themselves. I'm not defending PD's weird decision whatsoever though.

Yes, I have. I've tested it out comparing my lap times with it on and off. See post #307 above.

Dropping grades definitely gives less grip. People act like SRF yields ungodly amounts of grip without seeing for themselves. I'm not defending PD's weird decision whatsoever though.

Thanks for the feedback. I've read your post #307 - that could really be a solution! I'm gonna try it out. I had completely written off all the forced-on SRF seasonals. This may be a solution and a way to get some enjoyment out of them.

You just said what I said, but with more words... Why would I disagree with that?

Funny how, after warnings not to talk about mandatory SRF in seasonal threads, the complainers continue to complain in those threads.

In fact, they absolutely CANNOT WAIT for the new thread, in order to complain about SRF.

Maybe someone should start a thread about it.

Funny how, after moderator warnings not to talk about mandatory SRF in these seasonal threads, the whiners continue to whine.

In fact, they absolutely CANNOT WAIT for the new thread, in order to whine about SRF.

This thread is about SRF on seasonals right?

Can you read?? The mods said stop the pointless bickering back and forth. Which is exactly what you are back to doing again, go figure, that's all you do..If you were correct the mods would have closed the thread..:dunce:

And even that was in another thread...:rolleyes:

This thread is about SRF on seasonals right?

Can you read?? The mods said stop the pointless bickering back and forth. Which is exactly what you are back to doing again, go figure, that's all you do..

And even that was in another thread...:rolleyes:

I typed 'these' instead of 'the'. Your point? I detect a bit of defensiveness in your stance. Maybe you see yourself in my general observation which wasn't targeted at any specific community member. And then, feeling attacked personally you feel the need to respond with a personal attack.

In any event, it's your shortcoming, not mine.

I typed 'these' instead of 'the'. Your point? I detect a bit of defensiveness in your stance. Maybe you see yourself in my general observation which wasn't targeted at any specific community member. And then, feeling attacked personally you feel the need to respond with a personal attack.

In any event, it's your shortcoming, not mine.

Observation?? Feelings??

Whatever dude..It was attack, and know it was..Whether you wish to attack one person or everyone it does not matter. Your whole post was only intended to troll a response, it got one, I reported you.:sly:

Since you need SRF. We know who has the "shortcomings".

Enjoy :)

When people do a search for setups and tip on how to beat a seasonal, they aren't looking for anti-srf rants.

I think that changing down a tyre grade might nullify the effects of SRF in terms of lap time, but SRF still changes the way a car feels and i hate that with a passion.

I have a proof that "SRF always on" is a real life thingy...

#thread end

Last edited:
So, everyone has discussed what they think about SRF being forced 'on' in seasonal events, but does anyone know WHY PD have SRF forced 'on'?
I'm not after speculation but am wondering if anyone has heard through the internets somewhere WHY SRF is being forced 'on' by PD.

I think it would be polite if PD gave their reasoning behind their choice to force SRF on to their player base.

So, everyone has discussed what they think about SRF being forced 'on' in seasonal events, but does anyone know WHY PD have SRF forced 'on'?
I'm not after speculation but am wondering if anyone has heard through the internets somewhere WHY SRF is being forced 'on' by PD.

I think it would be polite if PD gave their reasoning behind their choice to force SRF on to their player base.

Same question can be asked for forced SRF in ALL LICENSE TESTS.

There is no logical reasoning with exception of one: that enabled SRF assures meeting of time-related constraints within particular challenge.

Also worth noticing is how GT5 is not unique by such approach in series history: in GT5: Prologue we had basically two *physics*, Normal and Professional (I personally consider SRF as "Normal" physics from Prologue).

In some tests/challenges in GT5:P career you just couldn't win using Professional physics, the switch to Normal was prerogative. I think this decision has something to do with that - without SRF the challenges would probably be almost impossible.

However, I agree how forced SRF is not welcomed by any chance.

I did not know these particulars, but still, it would be nice if PD could explain why they are forcing this case on everyone rather then allowing people to choose for themselves.
If i think about what you are saying Amar212 then it makes me wonder if PD think that its player base is not capable of doing the seasonal events without SRF?

But until PD actually say otherwise what else should we think?

For all we know the real reason could be that PD are going to force real time damage on cars in GT6? If this was a testing ground of some sort it would be polite for PD to at least say so.

VBR
PD Logic:

Let's make a "Real Driving Simulator". Now let's make the physics realistic. Now lets make a driving aid that makes them less realistic. And finally, lets force everyone to use it, MWUHAHAHAHAAA!

:boggled:

Right on, VBR ! That has to be their reasoning. (somewhat sadisitic I would say)

3u5p3q.jpg

PD at their bi-monthly seasonals meeting.

Last edited:
Same question can be asked for forced SRF in ALL LICENSE TESTS.

There is no logical reasoning with exception of one: that enabled SRF assures meeting of time-related constraints within particular challenge.

Also worth noticing is how GT5 is not unique by such approach in series history: in GT5: Prologue we had basically two *physics*, Normal and Professional (I personally consider SRF as "Normal" physics from Prologue).

In some tests/challenges in GT5:P career you just couldn't win using Professional physics, the switch to Normal was prerogative. I think this decision has something to do with that - without SRF the challenges would probably be almost impossible.

However, I agree how forced SRF is not welcomed by any chance.

This of course makes sense concerning the difficulty factor since it was introduced for the Holiday Seasonals that had weather. What's odd is it has stayed on.

I thought it may have had something to do with tire selection as many of the earlier Seasonals had open tire selection. But looking back there are plenty of Events prior to the Holiday Seasonals with a more strict tire choice without forced SRF. So that theory isn't right.

Back