Standard Tracks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elbowz_11
  • 32 comments
  • 4,264 views

Standard Tracks possible?

  • Yes, why?

    Votes: 35 77.8%
  • No, why?

    Votes: 10 22.2%

  • Total voters
    45
Messages
77
Messages
Elbowz_11
Same idea of a Standard Car applied to a Track


Possible concept for FUTURE tracks?
 
Last edited:
Sorry but... What?
 
less detailed maybe re interpretation of a track of the past with less surrounds details
 
less detailed maybe re interpretation of and track of the past with less surrounds details

Yeah that's Autumn Ring, Trial Mountain, Le Sarthe 2005, Grand Valley and Deep Forest.
 
Yeah that's Autumn Ring, Trial Mountain, Le Sarthe 2005, Grand Valley and Deep Forest.

well the idea is to get more track perhaps less "fancy" details , not talking about tracks already in GT5
 
Yeah that's Autumn Ring, Trial Mountain, Le Sarthe 2005, Grand Valley and Deep Forest.

Hit the nail on the head. Don't forget Cote D'Azur aswell. These are all ports from GT4/GTPSP, some with slightly improved textures.
 
less detailed maybe re interpretation of a track of the past with less surrounds details

Why didn't you originally put that in the OP then? :p
As akmuq said, some of the tracks ported from GT4 are pretty much what you describe.
 
No thanks, there's enough stuff in GT5 that dilutes it's overall quality, and the same mistake can't be made with future games.
 
In a nutshell? Yes, I would love to have Apricot Hill and Midfield Raceway back, as well as motorland which was absolutely perfect as a Kei car racing track and a probably awesome karting track.

And then there was Citta di Aria... I was amused by that track and driving the GTA around it made the best license test in any GT. I would love to have it back. 👍
 
Why didn't you originally put that in the OP then? :p
As akmuq said, some of the tracks ported from GT4 are pretty much what you describe.

i've been wondering maybe we dont have o have all "premium" tracks , i would love to play on past tracks from the GT series , and i been fizzled with the idea , maybe they could release some "standard style" tracks in the mean time.
 
No thanks, there's enough stuff in GT5 that dilutes it's overall quality, and the same mistake can't be made with future games.

Hayley Wiliams = Hot :dopey:
 
I wouldn't mind if it was only a decent job on tracks like Apricot Hill and Midfield, but I would love some awesomeness on El Capitan, the two Paris ones and Hong Kong.👍
 
Mate, I'm not trying to play the bad mod around but use the edit button instead of double posting. That makes things more readable. 👍

On the subject of dilluting overall quality, it's just a matter of perspective. The standard cars completely ruin the visual uniformism of the game, but regardless of that, the game wouldn't be half as much fun if they weren't there. The same would apply to the tracks, though.
 
Same idea of a Standard Car applied to a Track

Possible concept for FUTURE tracks?

I don't know if maybe you haven't played any racing games in recent years besides just Gran Turismo, but if you had seen the standards set by other racing games and even what GT5 has done on its newer courses, you'd have noticed that many of GT5's tracks are "Standard". Obvious examples include Trial Mountain and Laguna Seca, off the top of my head. They look like they were ripped straight off of PS2.

Here, let me show you what I mean. I'll show you Laguna Seca on GT5 and then Laguna Seca on FM3.
gt501a.jpg

fm301.jpg


And again, from a different angle:
gt502a.jpg

fm302.jpg


I've already considered GT5's tracks to be in the same Premium/Standard situation as the cars. Some look like they're fresh for GT5 for PS3 and some look like they were lifted from PS2.

EDIT:
Alright, it's not quite as easy to tell in those photos, but when I'm driving around in many of the tracks in the game it's obvious that they're of relatively crude modeling. That was the point I was trying to make with the photos. It's something that comes across a bit better in motion in high-def than in still photographs, I guess.
 
Laguna Seca in GT5 looks like it was just ported over from PS2 with the poly count just upped a bit. Still has about 5 different repeated textures for the scenery.

Really looks like azz.
 
It isn't as if there is any visual consistency in this game in the first place, so they might as well pursue quantity to its logical conclusion. As it stands now, it basically comes off as being lazy at being lazy.
 
Also Forza added flair to each or their tracks to make them look more "alive" GT is an exact snap shot of the real track. If Laguna looks bland to you it's because Laguna is just a bland desert.
 
Also Forza added flair to each or their tracks to make them look more "alive" GT is an exact snap shot of the real track. If Laguna looks bland to you it's because Laguna is just a bland desert.

The problem being that it's a PS2 version of a bland desert. If it's going to look boring, the least it could do is be boring and not obviously unpleasant to look at.

The textures and backdrops are of awful quality, and a lot of the surrounds are very low poly. That's not anything to do with it being Laguna Seca (which is admittedly one of the less visually exciting tracks IRL), it's just because it's a port of a 6+ year old model.

It would be possible for it to be accurate and much better looking than it does now.
 
I don't know if maybe you haven't played any racing games in recent years besides just Gran Turismo, but if you had seen the standards set by other racing games and even what GT5 has done on its newer courses, you'd have noticed that many of GT5's tracks are "Standard". Obvious examples include Trial Mountain and Laguna Seca, off the top of my head. They look like they were ripped straight off of PS2.

Here, let me show you what I mean. I'll show you Laguna Seca on GT5 and then Laguna Seca on FM3.
gt501a.jpg

fm301.jpg


And again, from a different angle:
gt502a.jpg

fm302.jpg


I've already considered GT5's tracks to be in the same Premium/Standard situation as the cars. Some look like they're fresh for GT5 for PS3 and some look like they were lifted from PS2.

EDIT:
Alright, it's not quite as easy to tell in those photos, but when I'm driving around in many of the tracks in the game it's obvious that they're of relatively crude modeling. That was the point I was trying to make with the photos. It's something that comes across a bit better in motion in high-def than in still photographs, I guess.


This is sooooo sad. FM3 actually has better over all graphics. im about to buy a Xbox 360. The Xbox is easier for devs to script the games. it seems all games look better on xbox.
 
This is sooooo sad. FM3 actually has better over all graphics. im about to buy a Xbox 360. The Xbox is easier for devs to script the games. it seems all games look better on xbox.

Now compare a premium car in nordschleife against the same in forza. GT5 looks much better than forza, especially in game, the problem is just too many things ported from GT4 👎
 
I've already considered GT5's tracks to be in the same Premium/Standard situation as the cars. Some look like they're fresh for GT5 for PS3 and some look like they were lifted from PS2.


4d93e339-dea7-4961-898d-c39845e41e6d.jpg


Enough said!


👎
 
This is sooooo sad. FM3 actually has better over all graphics. im about to buy a Xbox 360. The Xbox is easier for devs to script the games. it seems all games look better on xbox.

Well, they also chose standard cars instead of the premium versions to make it look even worse...

Though, a lot of the tracks in GT do look quite terrible, relatively speaking.
 
Yeah that's Autumn Ring, Trial Mountain, Le Sarthe 2005, Grand Valley and Deep Forest.

I've simply never noticed any difference in detail between these and other tracks. And I've raced Deep Forest and Grand Valley a lot. The four Sarthes look identical (save for the different track layout).

If those are standard, then I think every track should be standard, because they look exactly like the "premiums".

This is sooooo sad. FM3 actually has better over all graphics. im about to buy a Xbox 360. The Xbox is easier for devs to script the games. it seems all games look better on xbox.

Over graphics?
 
Last edited:
I'll have to disagree with alot of what people say about the quality of most of the tracks ported from GT4. Sure, they do seem like they're directly ported from the PS2, but unlike the standard cars, I think alot has been put in to make them look great in HD. I mean, the shadows and textures/lightings/reflections in Trial Mountain and Grand Valley(Especially in the tunnel after the bridge) seem a little too good in my opinion, to be considered "half-assed".

And those Laguna Seca pictures are slightly rigged IMO, try lowering the exposure(The picture hurts my eyes with the brightness) and using Premium cars to make it look better overall.
 
And those Laguna Seca pictures are slightly rigged IMO, try lowering the exposure(The picture hurts my eyes with the brightness)

I think that's GT's fault. Driving through the High Speed Ring tunnel is what it must be like going to heaven.

Also, try tapping the look back button really fast, or switching views really fast. It will make the same annoying effect.
 
Standard tracks in GT5 possible? Yes.
Why? Some already are in the game, as other users mentioned.
 
Same idea of a Standard Car applied to a Track


Possible concept for FUTURE tracks?

? you seem to have missed something. Most of the tracks in GT5 are just ports from GT4. Even almost all the textures have been carried over. Sometimes there are certain tweaks but that's it.
 
And if we do end up getting the 25 tracks mentioned here, I'm guessing they'll all be "Standard" too.


:indiff:
 
They might do this for all the tracks whose logos were found on the GT5 My Home website by yonis. It would be pretty good to see another speedway... :lol:
 
IIRC one or two years before the release, we saw a footage (or demo?) which listed one track (Nordschleife I think) as premium.

Some tracks really look like they were imported directly from GT4. I think they wanted to do the same thing they did with the cars with the tracks, but after the bad reception, they scrapped the idea of listing some tracks as standard/premium.
Every single feature of this game is half assed. Premium cars look cool, but most times sound wrong (or very bad with race exhausts) or wrong specs (Miura) or wasted ressources (Schwimm/Kübelwagen! instead of a 250 GTO or some other legendary stuff)... Weather is horrible, from cockpit view it looks like a hurricane, from chase view you barely see some rain... Day/night transition, pretty cool, but only on 2 tracks...
 
Back