"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
I don't know what to think about that...on one hand I would love it and on the other I would miss having detailed interiors on some cars...I could deal with that.

I won't mind standards in GT7, because when racing, I'm not focusing on the car's quality. I'm focusing on the track ahead and the opponents I'm trying to beat. That being said, it would be nice if all the standard cars that were untouched in GT6 were upgraded to at least semi-premium/near-premium status, and the ones that were touched up were full on premiumized (R390 and AE86 PLEASE!). However, if they aren't, I won't lose any sleep.
Keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I'm pretty sure the PS4 can handle 1,200 or more moderately good quality cars.

I just think it's pretty rich to have something called 'the real driving simulator', where the most realistic way to drive standards is through a detail-less silhouette of an interior...

SVX
I just think it's pretty rich to have something called 'the real driving simulator', where the most realistic way to drive standards is through a detail-less silhouette of an interior...

Google defines "simulator" as "a machine with a similar set of controls designed to provide a realistic imitation of the operation of a vehicle, aircraft, or other complex system, used for training purposes."

Key word there being "operation."

Google defines "simulator" as "a machine with a similar set of controls designed to provide a realistic imitation of the operation of a vehicle, aircraft, or other complex system, used for training purposes."

Key word there being "operation."

So?

I wouldn't consider a detail-less silhouette of an interior as 'realistic imitations'.

If you're going to mince words with definitions, you shouldn't bring up one that can be twisted against you just as much as it can be twisted for you.

"A realistic imitation of the operation of a vehicle" means physics and performance. Interior graphical quality would fall under aesthetics or something.

I thought vehicles are operated from a cockpit within the vehicle? As in, a fully functioning, simulated, cockpit. Not a fantasy detail-less silhouette that is not shown in a real-life example?

SVX

I fail to understand why people have taken a Slogan to heart. As far as I remember, its never been a actual product claim.

SVX

The game deserves the slogan now more than it ever did, were you okay with it on the original GT?

The game deserves the slogan now more than it ever did, were you okay with it on the original GT?

More? How so? If anything the game gets more outdated to its competitors with each new iteration.

Well despite the fact that it is far more realistic now then it was then

I'd have to hope it got more realistic after fifteen years.

how's about just accepting it on the basis of "For it's platform"?

Even when really its not? GT5P was leaps and bounds better physics wise than the two full games that came after it, which happens to be on the same console.

And no, I will never consider it a real driving simulator on the basis it's the closest on it's platform. That'd be like justifying a Nintendo DS driving 'sim' can be labelled as the 'real driving simulator' when in reality it's barely more advanced than Mario Kart.

I will never call a game a real driving simulator if it has anything close to the tyre, suspension or aero model as GT6 does.

SVX
Even when really its not? GT5P was leaps and bounds better physics wise than the two full games that came after it, which happens to be on the same console.

And no, I will never consider it a real driving simulator on the basis it's the closest on it's platform. That'd be like justifying a Nintendo DS driving 'sim' can be labelled as the 'real driving simulator' when in reality it's barely more advanced than Mario Kart.

I will never call a game a real driving simulator if it has anything close to the tyre, suspension or aero model as GT6 does.

I might fire up 5P tonight, if it's compatible with the T500RS, see what the big deal is, I only played it with the 6 axis at the time. Define "better", just so I know what I'm looking for.

I might fire up 5P tonight, if it's compatible with the T500RS, see what the big deal is, I only played it with the 6 axis at the time. Define "better", just so I know what I'm looking for.

Tougher, more realistic basically.

Yeh the 510 looks great but why did they slack off on the number plates?

I cannot understand this either. It's the easiest thing on earth to re-write if it's just simple text or look up if it's a logo/custom font, plus I'm sure they have original labelling from the manufactures somewhere in a higher res format. Simply crazy some of the things PD do.

0kHQNg4nx9WoX5i8NG_0.jpg

I could have typed NISSAN Blue Bird 1600 in seconds and stuck it in whatever 3D program they use. Lazy!

Frankly by now we would have custom plates anyway like most other racing games have had for decades.

image.jpg
image.jpg
I can't really go on GT but after watching some Hot Version with the Amuse S2000 I thought "That's in GT, I gotta try it out!" But was I was in for a shock. I used the GT app to get these pictures and even at a relative distance it looked quite bad. Now I do wish GT graphics were better but as many people have said I rather have all the cars we're lucky to get, if anything the sounds are what drive me away from cars.
*Note the quality may be even worse due to screenshots* or the GT app may be standard.

Thanks to this thread, I can say I've never been so acutely aware of GT6's model inconsistency. Standard standards, semi-premium standards, semi-semi-premium standards, standards with good models but rough textures, standards with rough models but good textures...geez, it only goes on. I guess it's promising to see that PD isn't leaving them all shamefully untouched (GT5 originally gave me that impression in its early days), but to see THAT much discrepancy is at least a little jarring.

aren't all standards ugly? I mean, some look better than others but none look that good. the 90s Mazda mx5 and the mitsu Fto are the best lookin standards, but the suzuki alto and some Hondas look like a big ugly piece of crap.

Back