"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 6' started by bodger, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Grandea GTR

Grandea GTR

Why are we comparing PS1 to PS2?

2. HDT Commodore

HDT Commodore

I don't even remember. I just wanted to show a definitive example so they could agree: the standards are bad, but still better than PS1. Remember, the standards draw their models form GT3/4, and when those games came out they walked all over the PS1.

3. SVX

SVX Premium

I think the PS1 comparison was an over exaggeration for effect...

4. Grandea GTR

Grandea GTR

Ah hyperboles...

SVX likes this.
  5. Dylan

Dylan Premium

Bad: The BMW V12 LMR '99
    It's main areas are the head rests to either side of the drivers helmet. If you look at the car from straight on, they dissapear. Basically They're 2d Panels. This car really is in need of a touch up.
    BMW V12 LMR 1.jpg
    BMW V12 LMR 2.jpg
    BMW V12 LMR 3.jpg

P.S. If you lower it's PP to that of the Zyteck LMP2, this thing becomes FANTASTIC!

AgentBlackDog and ProjectF like this.
  6. synon

synon

True - I was originally commenting on the zoomed-in RX-7 which appeared to be about 10x.

Do many people zoom in on standards? (apart from this thread of course :D).

My point is that you'll see flaws in the Premiums also if you zoom in sufficiently, so are flaws you can't spot easily without zooming in that relevant?

7. Terje

Terje

It's a comparison to see how bad some of the standards are, not how much zoom is needed to see the flaws.

Turn it the other way around. On premiums you would need to zoom, let's say x20 to see flaws, on some standards you can see them straight away.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the standards, but the majority of them are awful to look at, and I don't see the point of justifying that by saying "Yeah, but you can see the edges around the wheelarches on the premiums too, in x20 zoom". It's not the same thing. Some of them look like turds, some of them are polished ones.

8. MasterFocus

MasterFocus

Such a shame that GTR LM street version is not a premium or semi-premium :(

[​IMG]

The Honda Prelude, at night the brake lights dont even light up more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. HDT Commodore

HDT Commodore

The interior on the BMW looks great for a standard. Compare it to the Auto Union (I can post pics of that interior if anyone hasn't seen it)

Dylan, AgentBlackDog and Aero2000 like this.
  10. Akenzo2

Akenzo2

Anyone taken a pic of the Viper Concept? Always loved that car from gt3 time trials :):sly:

11. Castrol96

Castrol96

The GT-R Lm has been there since GT1 too.

ProjectF likes this.
  12. Cowboy

Cowboy Premium

The Corolla Levin looks awesome for a standard.

[​IMG]

13. GTvsForza

GTvsForza Premium

I won the GT-R Concept and... it looks good... from a distance... if you squint... really tight...

unit-one and JDMKING13 like this.
  14. Fat Tyre

Fat Tyre

... On a "5 TV.

15. HDT Commodore

HDT Commodore

...CRT

16. PletdeKoe

PletdeKoe

Don't forget only black and white

17. Castrol96

Castrol96

Wouldn't mind seeing this in GT Sport. :)

18. GTvsForza

GTvsForza Premium

[​IMG]
    I love me the Focus :)

Aero2000, ProjectF and girabyt3 like this.
  19. girabyt3

girabyt3 Premium

premium :sly::sly:

Aero2000 likes this.
  20. girabyt3

girabyt3 Premium

IMO, the two stock 1st-gen Focus (this one and the rs) look good and aceptable enough for this times. Obviously on ps4 we probably will see them fully modelled, the same for the rally car!

Hopefully...

jvale and Aero2000 like this.
  21. CrazyJohn

CrazyJohn

Good: Either the R390 (much of a difference in comparison with GT5) or the FTO (every FTO has great detail and even the hood can be carbon).

Bad: Audi R8 LMS 2009. Cannot believe it is standard even being only 7 years old. Details are not that good...

Ugly: Nissan 200SX S14. Holy god, you can see the pixels. They are TOO BIG, unlike the 180SX and the 240SX.

22. Akenzo2

Akenzo2

Have u tried the Alto works? Tis the stuff of nightmare

23. Cowboy

Cowboy Premium

[​IMG]
    Bad: 1987 Buick GNX

From a distance it looks OK, but once you get closer, the standardness really starts to show. They could at least put on the dual exhaust like it's supposed to.....

24. Street Racer 77

Street Racer 77

You should also try the Nissan Skyline GT-R of the Falken Motorsport Team. That Thing makes you shudder in disgust.

Can't believe that such a big Company things they did a great Job releasing cars from the PS2 era in their latest game. In every other branch of industry such a Quality (also sound-wise) would make the Company a laughingstock and make them bankrupt.

I don't understand why they haven't used the Skyline R34 Touring car Body for this car? The Falken car and the R34 touring car uses the same exact bodykit (beside the Frontbumper).

25. GTvsForza

GTvsForza Premium

The Pikes Peak Quattro doesn't look bad actually. I use it for the hill climb tracks here.

26. CrazyJohn

CrazyJohn

Good one, I don't know. Perhaps they are different in length, width and height.

JDMKING13 likes this.
  27. CrazyJohn

CrazyJohn

The 240 is worse.

28. Lucas

Lucas

The thing about standards is that the new lighting (starting from GT5, naturally) really made them look much better. In gaming modding circles, it's standard practice at least to download better lighting mods, as they can drastically change how the game looks.

So, the new lighting makes standard cars look far better than their PS2 versions from the same distance. Compared to Premium Cars, however, you can really tell the big difference in detail and polygons. And I'm not even talking about zooming in 10000%, I'm talking regular pictures anybody would like to take if the car was as detailed as the Premium cars.

29. Imari

Imari

While the lighting does make them look better, the boost in resolution also makes them look worse. A lot of the pixelation of the liveries, shut lines, and things like the wheel arches simply wasn't really visible at the resolution that the PS2 ran at. at 720/1080p, those things are much more distinguishable.

It's akin to how you can make any screenshot of a standard look pretty good by shrinking it.

KiroKai likes this.
  30. Akenzo2

Akenzo2

I do like the Falken though. As a race car it isn't bad. Still, if there's one racecar they should premiumize, it should be the Viper GTSR, C5R or F1 GTR long tail. Love all those ones

Renan_ likes this.