"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
I don't even remember. I just wanted to show a definitive example so they could agree: the standards are bad, but still better than PS1. Remember, the standards draw their models form GT3/4, and when those games came out they walked all over the PS1.

Bad: The BMW V12 LMR '99
It's main areas are the head rests to either side of the drivers helmet. If you look at the car from straight on, they dissapear. Basically They're 2d Panels. This car really is in need of a touch up.
BMW V12 LMR 1.jpg

BMW V12 LMR 2.jpg

BMW V12 LMR 3.jpg

P.S. If you lower it's PP to that of the Zyteck LMP2, this thing becomes FANTASTIC!

You initially compared the Premiums with PS1 models.

True - I was originally commenting on the zoomed-in RX-7 which appeared to be about 10x.

As for it being 'irrelevant zooming in to look at the details', that's exactly what many of us do while taking photos in the game. We aren't deliberately trying to make the Standards look bad, their flaws are just easier to see when taking photos

Do many people zoom in on standards? (apart from this thread of course :D).

My point is that you'll see flaws in the Premiums also if you zoom in sufficiently, so are flaws you can't spot easily without zooming in that relevant?

True - I was originally commenting on the zoomed-in RX-7 which appeared to be about 10x.

Do many people zoom in on standards? (apart from this thread of course :D).

My point is that you'll see flaws in the Premiums also if you zoom in sufficiently, so are flaws you can't spot easily without zooming in that relevant?
It's a comparison to see how bad some of the standards are, not how much zoom is needed to see the flaws.

Turn it the other way around. On premiums you would need to zoom, let's say x20 to see flaws, on some standards you can see them straight away.

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the standards, but the majority of them are awful to look at, and I don't see the point of justifying that by saying "Yeah, but you can see the edges around the wheelarches on the premiums too, in x20 zoom". It's not the same thing. Some of them look like turds, some of them are polished ones.

Good: Either the R390 (much of a difference in comparison with GT5) or the FTO (every FTO has great detail and even the hood can be carbon).

Bad: Audi R8 LMS 2009. Cannot believe it is standard even being only 7 years old. Details are not that good...

Ugly: Nissan 200SX S14. Holy god, you can see the pixels. They are TOO BIG, unlike the 180SX and the 240SX.

Good: Either the R390 (much of a difference in comparison with GT5) or the FTO (every FTO has great detail and even the hood can be carbon).

Bad: Audi R8 LMS 2009. Cannot believe it is standard even being only 7 years old. Details are not that good...

Ugly: Nissan 200SX S14. Holy god, you can see the pixels. They are TOO BIG, unlike the 180SX and the 240SX.
Have u tried the Alto works? Tis the stuff of nightmare

Have u tried the Alto works? Tis the stuff of nightmare

You should also try the Nissan Skyline GT-R of the Falken Motorsport Team. That Thing makes you shudder in disgust.

Can't believe that such a big Company things they did a great Job releasing cars from the PS2 era in their latest game. In every other branch of industry such a Quality (also sound-wise) would make the Company a laughingstock and make them bankrupt.

I don't understand why they haven't used the Skyline R34 Touring car Body for this car? The Falken car and the R34 touring car uses the same exact bodykit (beside the Frontbumper).

You should also try the Nissan Skyline GT-R of the Falken Motorsport Team. That Thing makes you shudder in disgust.

Can't believe that such a big Company things they did a great Job releasing cars from the PS2 era in their latest game. In every other branch of industry such a Quality (also sound-wise) would make the Company a laughingstock and make them bankrupt.

I don't understand why they haven't used the Skyline R34 Touring car Body for this car? The Falken car and the R34 touring car uses the same exact bodykit (beside the Frontbumper).
Good one, I don't know. Perhaps they are different in length, width and height.

The thing about standards is that the new lighting (starting from GT5, naturally) really made them look much better. In gaming modding circles, it's standard practice at least to download better lighting mods, as they can drastically change how the game looks.

So, the new lighting makes standard cars look far better than their PS2 versions from the same distance. Compared to Premium Cars, however, you can really tell the big difference in detail and polygons. And I'm not even talking about zooming in 10000%, I'm talking regular pictures anybody would like to take if the car was as detailed as the Premium cars.

The thing about standards is that the new lighting (starting from GT5, naturally) really made them look much better. In gaming modding circles, it's standard practice at least to download better lighting mods, as they can drastically change how the game looks.

So, the new lighting makes standard cars look far better than their PS2 versions from the same distance. Compared to Premium Cars, however, you can really tell the big difference in detail and polygons. And I'm not even talking about zooming in 10000%, I'm talking regular pictures anybody would like to take if the car was as detailed as the Premium cars.

While the lighting does make them look better, the boost in resolution also makes them look worse. A lot of the pixelation of the liveries, shut lines, and things like the wheel arches simply wasn't really visible at the resolution that the PS2 ran at. at 720/1080p, those things are much more distinguishable.

It's akin to how you can make any screenshot of a standard look pretty good by shrinking it.

I do like the Falken though. As a race car it isn't bad. Still, if there's one racecar they should premiumize, it should be the Viper GTSR, C5R or F1 GTR long tail. Love all those ones

Back