"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
The thing is, the Charger is an iconic car.

In America.

eeeh, debatable. I'd personally say it's pretty iconic across the world thanks to General Lee.

I don't think it's fair to say some cars are more worthy of a premium upgrade - they all have their enthusiasts behind them, and at the end of the day they have to be premium anyway.

SVX
eeeh, debatable. I'd personally say it's pretty iconic across the world thanks to General Lee.

I don't think it's fair to say some cars are more worthy of a premium upgrade - they all have their enthusiasts behind them, and at the end of the day they have to be premium anyway.
Agreed.

There is (almost) a car for everyone in this game. Just... Most of them are less detailed than others.

It's a bit irrelevant zooming in to look at details, even a premium will look like a PS1 model if you zoom in 10x.
Standard:
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.jpg

Premium:
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit_8.jpg

The Standard looks like a PS1 model, the Premium looks pretty damn good.

SVX
Not if you look at the kill switch texture.
The Premiums aren't perfect, but I wouldn't say that they look like PS1 models when zooming in. Some of the Premiums do look better than others, though.

As for it being 'irrelevant zooming in to look at the details', that's exactly what many of us do while taking photos in the game. We aren't deliberately trying to make the Standards look bad, their flaws are just easier to see when taking photos.

I don't think the Charger hood picture was an unreasonable level of zooming.

And on kei cars, personally, I find them extremely boring to drive to the point where I'd rather not. Not that they don't deserve premium though, as clearly people like them. I don't mind kei cars or similar if they look interesting. For example I tuned a 2CV on GT5, because I love to look of old cars and wanted to see if there was any evidence of any performance I could magnify. I was very surprised. The 2CV handles unlike anything I've ever driven (tuned of course) I painted the 2CV a pale light blue and it looked awesome!

The Standard looks like a PS1 model, the Premium looks pretty damn good.

A premium has a level of detail of about 40k polygons, zooming in by 3x reduces detail by about 90%, giving an effective LOD of 4k polygons, which is the same as a PS2 model.

A premium has a level of detail of about 40k polygons, zooming in by 3x reduces detail by about 90%, giving an effective LOD of 4k polygons, which is the same as a PS2 model.
You initially compared the Premiums with PS1 models. I still stand by what I said before:
As for it being 'irrelevant zooming in to look at the details', that's exactly what many of us do while taking photos in the game. We aren't deliberately trying to make the Standards look bad, their flaws are just easier to see when taking photos.

Sometimes I think how much it's a shame that some of the most iconic cars, like the Charger, in GT6 are left standard. Meanwhile kei cars and even duplicates, like the 1989&1991 Miatas, received the premium upgrade.

Word of advice to PD: make better decisions when you choose cars to get the premium treatment. Think about the cars people really want to see premium as a a whole, like this Charger, the Supra, and a few others
It's not about what cars they want to remodel, it's when they can do it. If one car is immediately available and another is not, why on earth would you turn the car that is away?

The CLK GTR and the CLK LM are not the same. The GTR's not available in GT2 without codes if I recall. I was speaking more specifically about the JGTC cars.

Back