"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
In terms of being a car and working, which is what this game is about, they are. I care more about there being cars than having a handful that are in super quality.

The way a car looks is just as important as how it feels when you're making a simulation, when achieving photorealism as well as physical realism is the primary goal. My my, you apologists really need to wake up. Name one other game that has done what GT6 and GT5 have done with respect to a profound generational gap in car quality. There's a reason developers don't do this.

Look at the ridiculous level of detail PD has put into premium cars, the way they tout the advancements they've made with regards to HDR lighting and adaptive tessellation, and the consistent inclusion of a photo mode in the last three games in the series. You really think "being a car and working" is all Gran Turismo is about?

You really think "being a car and working" is all Gran Turismo is about?

Judging by the percentage of content that looks terrible, it might be more likely than you think.

"I think this might look like a car if you squint"

"Quick, put it in the game!!!"

The VW Nardo has a very decent modeled interior from the outside.

Attachments

• 20140123_205535.jpg
    20140123_205535.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 28
Erm. Why didn't you take a picture with GT6 instead of a potatoe?
It was a watermelon for your information.

The last time i tried to import it via usb it didn't download to my Laptop correctly so i didnt feel like going through the hassle if it didn't work

@eSZee not sure if you consider it a wagon, but the Toyota Caldina GT4 is brutal fun, then there is of course the Volvo, and, and the boring RS4

I've got the Volvo but put a terrrrrible tune on it, gave it -10* camber all around, CH tires and went drifting on the 'ring...I can't drift.

I'm on a quest to buy every wagon in the game. The Stagea and Legacy, both of them, have been a blast so far.

I really liked the Altezza Gita / IS Sportwhatever in GT5, not sure of it in GT6 now, but it's certainly not bad. It doesn't have the "improved" exterior of the other Altezzas / ISs, though.

The way a car looks is just as important as how it feels when you're making a simulation, when achieving photorealism as well as physical realism is the primary goal. My my, you apologists really need to wake up. Name one other game that has done what GT6 and GT5 have done with respect to a profound generational gap in car quality. There's a reason developers don't do this.

Look at the ridiculous level of detail PD has put into premium cars, the way they tout the advancements they've made with regards to HDR lighting and adaptive tessellation, and the consistent inclusion of a photo mode in the last three games in the series. You really think "being a car and working" is all Gran Turismo is about?

What apologists? We ain't apologizing for 🤬. I honestly don't really care about standards and premiums, just that they are available to drive. People I feel are just getting too anal nowadays.

First world problems galore.

sumbrownkid
I honestly don't really care about standards and premiums, just that they are available to drive

This.

Games like this (physics aside), live off of the quantity of content. It's all very well that you have cars which look amazingly pretty, but if you only have a small amount, people are gonna get bored really fast. I fail to see how the argument that the cars looking good is enough to keep you playing the game, because it simply isn't.

What other game (barring past GT games) lets you have buy a factory-produced Nissan Sileighty? Or an IS300 Sportwagon? A Mini Marcos? All the Kei cars? If you took them out just because they look a bit jagged in places (despite them working perfectly anyway), you would get such a backlash from fans about it. You only have to look at the Forza 5 forums to see that effect.

What apologists? We ain't apologizing for 🤬. I honestly don't really care about standards and premiums, just that they are available to drive. People I feel are just getting too anal nowadays.

First world problems galore.

Excuse me? We're anal because we want all of the cars to be of the same quality...just like in every other racing game in existence?

I fail to see how the argument that the cars looking good is enough to keep you playing the game, because it simply isn't.

I drive exclusively premium cars in GT6 and I'm far from bored with the game. Not to mention GT3 is my favorite GT game, despite the low number of cars it has. So I couldn't disagree more.

Last edited:
That wasn't what I was saying. In some cases, I can understand; some people only use premiums since they have cockpit views and only use that view, or have certain aesthetic mods which they like which don't show up on standards, which is fair enough. The point I was making however, was that certain people flat out state they'd rather have less content so that they can gawp at the better-modelled cars; how one can find that fun is beyond me.

Glad PD cleaned the 3000GT cars up a little bit. They were one of my favorites when I first started playing GT. I hope in the next round of clean up they rid the cars of these GT4 era pixels though. I love using photomode and seeing these huge pixels drives me crazy! :lol:
Brands Hatch Indy Circuit3.jpg

Back