• Thread starter Famine
  • 57 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Three proper moments (no spoilers, watch it!) in this trailer...

... I'm so engaged right now.

*please don't be Discovery level pap*

Last edited:
Yea, really hoping this doesn't suck. It should be glorious, like when the walls fell at Tenagra.

Very excited by this, for all sorts of reasons I won't mention in respect of @Famine no spoilers comment.

However, the main thing, the overriding thing above all else that has me wanting to see this is simply this: It's new Trek, and it's NOT A DAMN PREQUEL :D :D. I've been waiting since I gave up on Voyager about halfway through for them to take the story forward, and finally it looks like we're going to get that.

So yeah. Please don't be rubbish.

First, I lolled:

upload_2019-7-22_20-1-20.png

Then I realised that 5843 days is 16 years. Star Trek: Nemesis occurred roughly 20 years before the events of Star Trek: Picard, when NCC-1701E was already seven years old, so it would have been 11 years old 16 years before Picard...

... so could this be Enterprise E? I half-thought it looked like the upper level of main engineering from First Contact, but it's not quite right. Few Enterprises make it as far as 11 anway. Although 1701 was 20 when Kirk scuttled it, A was seven when decommissioned, D was six when destroyed (or 36 in the All Good Things... future timeline) and NX-01 only got to eight.

Patrick Stewart and John Lithgow are two of my favorite actors and performers....

These are truly naturally skilled artists....

Got so much respect for their charisma

I've watched the first two episodes and the "Ready Room" segments hosted by Wil Wheaton, and I have to say I really like this show. Patrick Stewart is brilliant as always. I won't get into specifics but I am engaged with the new characters and where this show is leading us.

I've watched the first two episodes and the "Ready Room" segments hosted by Wil Wheaton, and I have to say I really like this show. Patrick Stewart is brilliant as always. I won't get into specifics but I am engaged with the new characters and where this show is leading us.

I'm liking, and a little surprised by, how the series has had a slow, mostly Earth-bound start to the story. Every other Star Trek show has launched us straight into the thick of the action in space. This feels like a much more considered start, building up the 'human' side of the characters, letting us know who they are - or in the case of Picard, who they've become, where as we are usually left to discover these personality facets as we're warped and beamed around the galaxy. This ironically makes it feel more filmic then episodic.

With Discovery it felt like every character wasn't who they were first portrayed to be, once the fist couple of characters were shown not to be who you first thought, you just felt you were waiting for the next episodes big Doctor Jackal/Mr Hyde moment to unfold. It just left me totally confused with where everyone's loyalty laid. With Picard i feel i'm happy to sit back and see where it takes me safe in the knowledge that not every character is likely to be so schizophrenic. I already feel more engaged. ;)

I'm loving it so far.

But, is it just me, or have writers begun to take the easy route of having the main character be disgraced in some way and having to rebuild their reputation with every long-overdue sequel and reboot, including this?

I'm just so tired of seeing this as the standard beginning of a continuation story these days. Heck, just watched an episode of the Duck Tales remake on HBO only to find out that Scrooge McDuck is a has-been in the new series.

I expected Patrick Steward's character to be kicking ass in the new Star Trek. And he should be, in my opinion. He was oozing pure awesomeness throughout Next Generation and seeing him walking around begging old acquaintances to help him (and getting denied) just doesn't seem right, makes me sad. I know it purposely creates hurdles for him to work his way around but then they could have just gone the "this is a personal and secret mission" route and let that drive the story while letting Picard be who he should be.

There are some rules in cinema:
1. You give Schwarzenegger the biggest guns you can find and let him blow stuff up.
2. You put Sigourney Weaver in every high-budget Sci-Fi movie.
3. When captain Picard speaks, the universe listens.

And they broke the third rule.

But the :rolleyes: beginning aside, the show has been pretty good so far. I especially like the Data/android focus. Always loved Next Gen episodes that centered around that because it asked and answered questions relevant now more than ever before as AI is getting more and more advanced. And they really connected Data's development through Next Gen to this series. His slightly human mannerisms he would deny when pointed out, his paintings, his desire to have offspring. Good stuff.

Also, while not necessarily the most important thing, the CGI seems to be quite a lot better than that of Discovery. Definitely helps the believability of the world. Hoping for some more space scenes in future episodes, though.

Personally I’m enjoying the series so far and I like the deconstruction of Picard and the mysteries of the Borg and Romulans. The idea of Data having daughters and possibly being able to be reconstructed from a single positron is a little odd, but I’ll roll with it for now. Most of my frustration surrounding my viewing so far comes from the parts of the fanbase and not of the show itself.

Honestly, I really have to say that the idea of “new Trek spits in the face of Gene Roddenberry’s vision” is one of the most daft and annoying points of view I’ve ever personally come across. Let’s just make every Star Trek show the same then and never bring any differing points of view in or tell any compelling stories that differ from the status quo. The people saying that probably ignore the interview where Patrick Stewart said he would not have returned it they just remade The Next Generation for a couple more seasons. Since DS9 centres around a war, I suppose that makes that show bad too.

Also the “new Trek is SJW woke propaganda” people are daft and idiotic too (essentially the get woke go broke crowd). Do they not realize that Star Trek is one of the most woke and progressive shows to ever air on television in its various incarnations? Blatant political themes and messages are not new to the series, yet somehow Picard and Discovery get bashed because of it. On top of that, I haven’t seen any blatant “SJW propaganda” anywhere in Picard, yet I still see people attempting to stretch and accuse it of doing so.

Dave Cullen is a hack. Nitpicking is not valid criticism.

Last edited:
I expected Patrick Steward's character to be kicking ass in the new Star Trek. And he should be, in my opinion. He was oozing pure awesomeness throughout Next Generation and seeing him walking around begging old acquaintances to help him (and getting denied) just doesn't seem right, makes me sad. I know it purposely creates hurdles for him to work his way around but then they could have just gone the "this is a personal and secret mission" route and let that drive the story while letting Picard be who he should be.

The dude is 94 years old. Never mind kicking ass, he's lucky not to be kicking the bucket!

Society on a whole ignores or forgets the usefulness of people beyond retirement age, no matter what their achievements leading up to that. This reflects it and highlights the issue fantastically IMO.

Picard not only has to battle old adversaries, but also fight against the fact he's been mothballed by his own side.

Last edited:
I expected Patrick Steward's character to be kicking ass in the new Star Trek. And he should be, in my opinion.
He's old. He was old in First Contact, but he's super old now. His last action role he spent the entire movie in a wheelchair.

Picard has always clashed with Starfleet over its moral code - Insurrection was a good example, where Starfleet was happy to help displace a local population (the Ba'ku) in order to exploit its homeworld. In Picard we find he left Starfleet behind over its abandonment of the Romulan supernova refugees and the banning of synthetics - both things he disagreed with.

I was rather amused by a Romulan exclaiming "the cheeky ****ers!", though I'm not sure why a Romulan living in France is Irish.

He's old. He was old in First Contact, but he's super old now. His last action role he spent the entire movie in a wheelchair.

Picard has always clashed with Starfleet over its moral code - Insurrection was a good example, where Starfleet was happy to help displace a local population (the Ba'ku) in order to exploit its homeworld. In Picard we find he left Starfleet behind over its abandonment of the Romulan supernova refugees and the banning of synthetics - both things he disagreed with.

I was rather amused by a Romulan exclaiming "the cheeky ****ers!", though I'm not sure why a Romulan living in France is Irish.

The Irish are everywhere, just didn't realise we'd made it as far as Romulus :) I did an auditory double take and had to rewind when she said that

The Irish are everywhere, just didn't realise we'd made it as far as Romulus :) I did an auditory double take and had to rewind when she said that

Perhaps it was St Patricks Day and she was jumping on the celebratory bandwagon like every other ****er seems to do these days.

I'll just assume she learned English in Ireland (or the Space Irish from "Up the Long Ladder" from S2 of TNG) and then was employed by Picard and moved to France.

Not really sure why I clicked on David Cullen's review of Absolute Candor, but I did for entertainment's sake and he finally said something around 9:20 in the video that put everything into perspective.

(lists series of nitpicks...) "...Characters that speak too contemporary like they're trying to be cool and relatable to a current audience. That's not necessary, you just have to appeal to Star Trek fans. We know what Star Trek is."

Again, completely daft. "Don't do anything that differs from classic Star Trek, because the general audience doesn't exist and the studio should cater to 'real fans' exclusively." Gatekeeping losers, I tell you.

Surprisingly in the comment section of the video, a lot of “true fans” are complaining about Picard’s civilian clothing looking too 21st century. I suppose those same commenters would rather he change into the 80s spandex they had on the Enterprise D instead.

Seriously, it’s beyond me why some people must find absolutely anything to complain about at all costs and can’t just enjoy something for what it is.

Last edited:
I spent the last couple of minutes of Absolute Candor saying "Is it? I bet it is. It has to be. They keep saying 'he'. I hope it is."

And it was. And I cheered.

Hearty Hey and Hello!
I find myself waiting for the end of the season so I can binge watch it.

Oh cool, it's Icheb...
Oh.
Yeah, that was some gruesome s***. I'm not a judgmental person, but I was glad to see Seven take out Vajayjay or whatever her name was. And then Agnes at the end. DANG.

Dave Cullen this week: “Picard is a bad show because murder is wrong and it shouldn’t exist in Star Trek.”. Proceeds to go on a tirade about how murder shouldn’t be allowed in Star Trek and how Picard fondles the corpse of Gene Roddenberry.

Sisko at the end of “In the Pail Moonlight”:

Proceeds to go on a tirade about how murder shouldn’t be allowed in Star Trek and how Picard fondles the corpse of Gene Roddenberry.
Shall we list all the murders in TOS, TNG and the six films he was alive for and contributed to?

Even Data's managed attempted murder (and lied about it), and Picard all but committed Borg genocide with Hugh - and it's nice to see Hugh in the series :D

I'm finding some of the dialogue a little hard to hear over the ambience... had to flick back three times to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me at that point :D

Dave Cullen this week: “Picard is a bad show because murder is wrong and it shouldn’t exist in Star Trek.”. Proceeds to go on a tirade about how murder shouldn’t be allowed in Star Trek and how Picard fondles the corpse of Gene Roddenberry.

Sisko at the end of “In the Pail Moonlight”:

I don't think I can add anything more to what has already been said about that quote, needless to sayhe's obviousely not very au fait with Star Trek if he thinks murder shouldn't be in it.

Personally I'm enjoying this show so far. I do feel like I can see where the plot is heading and have managed to guess a couple of things that were going to happen in the series so far but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

That said I didn't guess that
Icheb would return only to have his eye ripped out then get mercy killed by Seven. Quite a brutal opening to the episode.

Last edited:
It seems that I'm not a real Star Trek fan. I thought Star Trek: Picard is a movie. I like the franchise but I'm not a real fan. If Star Trek is on, I'll definitely watch it but it about it.

I'm finding some of the dialogue a little hard to hear over the ambience... had to flick back three times to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me at that point :D

I see what you did there.

If anyone says Star Trek was never this brutal, just point them to ‘Conspiracy’

DFC9BD9A-0431-4E5F-A096-99A8FC8F5C67.jpeg

Frakes seems like the only one in the entire show to this point who seemed to realize that this is a Next Generation followup series and not one to Battlestar Galactica.

The show also would really benefit from not stretching 2 episodes of material out over the 5 episodes between the pilot and latest episode; since it would make it quite a bit less obvious that the writers are going through their checklists of things that sci fi shows need to do nowadays and vague character archetypes that they can mark off.

Last edited:
Back