STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
I don't think the title means that Luke is going to die in this movie ...

(although I suspect he will die in IX, his life and role in the overall saga needs a proper closure),

... IMO it just means the movie will be "Luke-centered".

I'm calling it now, Luke will die in this episode.
That depends on whether you use "Jedi" as singular or plural.

If it's singular, then yes, Luke is the last Jedi, and the Jedi Order dies with him.

But if it's plural, then "the last Jedi" may be the last group of Jedi - it could be the final stand between the remnants of the Jedi and the Sith.

That depends on whether you use "Jedi" as singular or plural.

If it's singular, then yes, Luke is the last Jedi, and the Jedi Order dies with him.

But if it's plural, then "the last Jedi" may be the last group of Jedi - it could be the final stand between the remnants of the Jedi and the Sith.

Oooo, that's a Valid point that didn't occur to me. Good catch

Oooo, that's a Valid point that didn't occur to me. Good catch
Wild theory:
Anakin was supposed to restore balance to the Force, but it's never established how he was supposed to do it. It's generally accepted that he did it by crossing back over to the light side ... but what if he never actually achieved what he was prophesied to do? After all, the First Order continues to exist and the likes of Snoke use the dark side despite Anakin's actions. What if he was supposed to restore balance to the Force but cutting off everyone's access to it? What if that's what Luke spent twenty years looking for - the original prophecy, the one that predicted Anakin would sever the connection to the Force? What if the Jedi lied about it for fear that doing so would be an apocalyptic catastrophic? And of course, the Sith would have targeted him for fear of losing the Force.

Re: wild theory (not sure why you tagged this as spoiler, we are only speculating, unless you work for Lucas Arts and know secret stuff :D . In any case, I'll tag my reply also)

I never understood why the force needed balancing in the first place or why was there a need for a chosen one to do it. The Force was kept under balance by the Father (Mortis Arc, Clone Wars) and it was the arrival of Kenobi, Skywalker and Ashoka that disrupted all of that. So, if anything, Anakin was instrumental in bringing the Force to un-balance.

But if you disregard all that - probably wise, because Sidious was already at work to counter the Jedi dominance and I also fail to see what effect (if any) the Mortis had on the balance of the Force outside of itself - then again WHY was the Force in need of balance?

One interpretation (of whatever George Lucas dreamnt of) is that the Jedi, after defeating the Sith, had become, within the New Republic, too powerful, too disconnected from their true nature and origin, in a way, they had "lost it". You only need to look at the "Temple Guards" and the somewhat militar nature of the Jedi (akin to what in Christianity were the Knights Templars) to understand that something was amiss there. And some of the Jedi didn't like it and so they acted not under the Council's bidding but mostly on their own, doing their own thing (from the top of my head I can remember Qui Gon, of course, but also Quinlan Vos and Ky Narec).

So, was it the task of "balancing the Force" to destroy the entire Jedi order as it had become unknowingly corrupt? If that was the case then indeed Anakin Skywalker did the job, allowed, for a blink (couple of decades, nothing much), the prevalence of a Sith Lord and then killed him, giving way to the ... "Last Jedi".

Why didn't the Last Jedi do a "grandious return" of the Jedi to power, reforming the Temples everywhere and recruiting force sensitive children left and right? Can't wait to find out, maybe next December.

But, but, Obi-Wan wasn't sure about Luke in TESB. Yoda said there is another. Luke did say The Force runs strong in his family, "My Father has it... I have it... my SISTER, has it...". Leia bore a child that balanced the dark side of The Force.

Does "bring balance to The Force" mean an equal amount of good and bad? Master and apprentice? Things were kind of unbalanced when Maul was vanquished. Is there balance if Rey has learned from Luke?

Does "bring balance to The Force" mean an equal amount of good and bad? Master and apprentice? Things were kind of unbalanced when Maul was vanquished. Is there balance if Rey has learned from Luke?

Perhaps it's already become unbalanced towards the darkside due to the existence of Snoke and the Knights of Ren - not Sith as such, but they certainly dabble in the darkside.

Perhaps it's already become unbalanced towards the darkside due to the existence of Snoke and the Knights of Ren - not Sith as such, but they certainly dabble in the darkside.
Which leads us to @prisonermonkeys mention of use for "Jedi" in the title. Could be more Jedi in hiding. Tarkin thought Obi-Wan was dead and Vader was the last.

I haven't followed the books, but I remember a friend talking about how Luke could move planets or moons out of orbit(unless I'm remembering qrong. this was years ago)? Anyway, he'd be powerful. I doubt anyone will match him.

Could be more Jedi in hiding.
I'm 100% convinced that it refers to the photo I posted before, "The Last Jedi" being Luke as referred to in the opening crawl of TFA.
I haven't followed the books, but I remember a friend talking about how Luke could move planets or moons out of orbit(unless I'm remembering qrong. this was years ago)?
Sounds like something from Legends that's not canon anymore.

I'm 100% convinced that it refers to the photo I posted before, "The Last Jedi" being Luke as referred to in the opening crawl of TFA.

Sounds like something from Legends that's not canon anymore.

The crawl does make it out to be that Luke is the last, at this time. The only way there will be more, is if Luke finds and trains new Jedi. Of course, we see Rey use the force and she meets up with Skywalker so I am expecting her to be the beginning of a rebirth of the Jedi. Episode 9 will probably be titled 'Return of the Jedi..... Again' :D

The mouth is definitely thinner, which makes it feel a little more like the original trilogy stormtroopers. (Which is a good thing imo.)
Also, people saying that trooper with his helmet off is Tom Hardy. I can see a resemblence, but who knows.

Meanwhile in the animation world ...

C4wU1XGUkAAA6vK.jpg

Requirement: salt
Amount: a pinch

Supposed translations of The Last Jedi in non-English speaking markets indicate that Jedi is indeed plural.

16806719_1348265741899378_2549384022352770538_n.jpg

It isn't indicative of anything certain though. Some languages such as Hungarian, Polish and Swedish are said to have translated the title into the singular and not the plural.

To be honest, until I saw this I never really thought about the grammar of Return Of The Jedi; it's plural in many languages but I'd always thought of it to be singular, referring specifically to Luke being the Jedi.

I find it ill-thought out that a neologism has no plural.

I see it as a moot point really. We know Luke is a Jedi and it's hard to imagine Rey not being trained by Luke to become a Jedi too - especially as she's seen on the new TLJ merchandise boxes with a lightsabre. Although, it does appear to be Luke's - so that raises questions itself.

I think the crew image with the article above is worthy of being posted here too:

han-solo-begins-tall.jpg

Is that a slightly newer looking falcon interior i spy?

It could be a resurgence of Luke. Doesn't mean he has to die. Although I think him being killed off is the higher option. A bit like Obi Wan

The greatest jedi dying would take something massive, compared to a washed up good jedi that was fighting demons form his past.

Back