STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
I wasn't arguing at all if the backstory was good or not, you can think of it as you will.

I was arguing that it WAS a backstory. A bad backstory is still a backstory.

If a few lines about the guy are enough to qualify as a backstory, then a few lines about Snoke should also qualify, yes?

If a few lines about the guy are enough to qualify as a backstory, then a few lines about Snoke should also qualify, yes?
Would be but I don't remember any lines of Snokes backstory of who he is and where he came from. If I missed a line than probably yes it would qualify (but like Dooku not a very good one).

To be fair, we never got any confirmation in the prequels of Palp's backstory. We knew he was Darth Sidious the whole time, but it was never explained why. There's the hint that he was Plageuis' apprentice, but that too was never outright confirmed in the movies (only in other media).

He, as well as Vader (pre-father reveal), was simply evil for the sake of the plot. Kylo is the first antagonist where you can see why he's ended up where he is. Sure, he's an emotion-driven psycho like his grand-dad was in the prequels, but he's not nearly as whiney (that infamous sand scene), and at least in the new movies, we're watching characters act in an actual setting. Not in front of a massive green screen.

This is genius... emotive, and is one of the few things that makes social media relevant for me!

Turn up the volume, and remember, you love Star Wars, and everything it is...

SOLO trailer to debut Monday morning on Good Morning America. (and likely the internet at the same time for those that don't care to sit through GMA)

Teaser for the trailer. (hate how this is a thing now...)

Consider me intrigued.

Just watched it at IGN. Have to admit, I’m excited. I remember reading once that Han Solo had applied to be in the Imperial Navy I think. But there are also other major plot points that will need to be addressed: winning the Falcon, becoming one of Jabba’s best smugglers, saving Chewie who I think owes him a life debt, etc etc

Sounds like there's a longer cut of the trailer to the above Super Bowl ad due at some point today (Monday 5th)

Oooohh ... Disney is milking it. Not sure if another trilogy, to add to the Rian Johnson trilogy, but it is filmS (plural).

So, now we have:

a) The Skywalker saga (Episodes I to IX)

b) The spin off movies (Rogue One, Solo, Kenobi?)

c) The Rian Johnson trilogy

d) The Game of Thrones Star Wars Movies

With Rebels coming to an end, it was rumoured Dave Filoni would direct live action SW, although it could be either for TV or for theaters. I guess that settles it, Filoni will remain a TV guy ... I guess ... :odd:

I haven't watched any GoT episodes (yeah, I know) and most of the comments on the SW facebook article are negative, so not sure what to think just yet.

With Rebels coming to an end, it was rumoured Dave Filoni would direct live action SW, although it could be either for TV or for theaters. I guess that settles it, Filoni will remain a TV guy ... I guess ... :odd:

I've liked Rebels and The Clone Wars that came before it. I hope this isn't the end of Star Wars animated series that are geared towards us bigger kids in their 50's and such. :)

I haven't watched any GoT episodes (yeah, I know) and most of the comments on the SW facebook article are negative, so not sure what to think just yet.

That's because social media is an aggressive cancer that will try and destroy anything it's attached to!

I guess that settles it, Filoni will remain a TV guy ... I guess ... :odd:

I'd be okay with this, Filoni has done a lot of good work, I'd like to see as much of that as possible, and simply we'll get more of that if he does it for TV, than if he makes a movie. I agree he's earned a shot 'at the big time', but hell, give him a fat pay rise and then just continue to play to his strengths.

So far, fingers crossed, everything Star Wars that's come out from the Disney era has been very good. With something that has such a strong fan base like Star Wars, you're never going to be able to please all the fans all the time and those who have taken umbrage to some aspect that doesn't fit in with their own take on the SW universe and have bleated their dislike on social media get blown out of proportion because those who have enjoyed stuff tend to just keep schtum about it.

I do fear that too much material being released might just water down the whole franchise, like Marvel appear to be doing with their franchises.

I do fear that too much material being released might just water down the whole franchise, like Marvel appear to be doing with their franchises.

I think this is more of an issue for older fans, for who (rightly or wrongly) the purity of Star Wars, is a farm-boy, a princess, and a scoundrel, defeating a seemingly unstoppable bunch of bad guys. I totally accept that the current universe might be a switch off to those people, because it just isn't Star Wars in that sense. For younger fans, it's all part of the same story, and there isn't the weight of nostalgia on the original parts of the story.

As long as anything new still feels like it belongs in the Star Wars galaxy, then I don't see it being diluted - though the sheer amount of canon-fodder coming out can make it hard for people to absorb it all, and I think it can be difficult for less hardcore fans to find a good foot hold to really get stuck into some of the newer material - not that the majority is that interesting in understanding the current canon EU anyway.

Well, I'm an old SW fan :sly: and I'm enjoying the new stuff, minus TLJ (that one I will just pretend it isn't canon). My preferences:

1. Original Trilogy (movies)
2. Clone Wars (movie + TV Series, all 6 seasons of them)
3. Prequel Trilogy (movies)
4. Episode VII (movie)
5. Star Wars Rebels (TV series)
6. Darth Vader comics (marvel)
7. Kanan comics (marvel)
7. Star Wars comics (marvel)

There are novels and other comics out there but I never read them so I can't tell.

I already have that issue with the comics & books.

It's tough going to be honest - it's not that it's not enjoyable, it just represents a large investment of time.

Film
Novel
Comic
TV

Darth Maul (#1-5)

Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Obi-Wan & Anakin (#1-5)
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Seasons 1-6
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (#1-4)
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Kanan: The Last Padawan (#1-6)
Kanan: First Blood (#7-12)
A New Dawn
Tarkin
Thrawn
Catalyst
Star Wars: Rebels: Seasons 1-3
Rogue One
Episode IV: A New Hope
Princess Leia (#1-5)
Chewbacca (#1-5)
Star Wars: Skywalker Strikes (#1-6)
Darth Vader: Vader (#1-6)
Star Wars: Showdown on the Smugglers Moon (#7-12)
Doctor Aphra (#1-6)
Star Wars: Rebel Jail (#15-20)
Star Wars: Last Flight of the Harbinger (#20-25)
Star Wars: Yoda's Secret War (#26-31)
Screaming Citadel (Doctor Aphra #7-8, Star Wars #31-32, The Screaming Citadel #1)
Darth Vader: Shadows & Secrets (#7-12)
Vader Down (Star Wars #13-14, Darth Vader #13-15)
Darth Vader: The Shu Toran War (#16-19)
Darth Vader: End of Games (#20-25)
Star Wars: Out Among the Stars (#33-37)
Lando (#1-5)
Han Solo (#1-5)
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Shattered Empire (#1-4)
Aftermath
Aftermath: Life Debt
Aftermath: Empires End
Phasma
Poe Dameron: Black Squadron (#1-6)
Poe Dameron: The Gathering Storm (#8-13)
The Perfect Weapon (short)
Episode VII: The Force Awakens
Phasma (#1-4)
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

minus TLJ (that one I will just pretend it isn't canon)

You just need to accept it man, it's not going anywhere... learn to embrace it!

It's tough going to be honest - it's not that it's not enjoyable, it just represents a large investment of time.
The only books I have read are Catalyst and Before the Awakening. Read the first ~6 comics for Rogue One just to catch some things that were not in the movie, and that's it. Seen all the movies and animated series.

Edit:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...vealed-new-pictures?slideshow=127547#/slide/1

Last edited:
You just need to accept it man, it's not going anywhere... learn to embrace it!

I need no such thing. It's a bit like "The Hobbit" movies (granted, there you have a "canon" set in stone ... thankfully), I just don't care about such movies, their inconsistency (IMHO) with the previously existing lore takes them out of it, to become something else entirely.

I still can't get used to the copyright-friendly music. :/

Powerful episodes from Star Wars: Rebels last night. Really well done

I don't want to spoil much but if you don't mind being spoiled click below.

I'm not able to watch the episodes directly as I do not have cable, so I just wait for Blindwave's reaction/review videos. Caught both of them last night, and have to say the season started off fantastic. Looking forward to seeing this play out. My thoughts

I'd hate to see everyone die ala "Rogue One" status. So hoping there is a good explanation as to where some of the characters can go. We know Seb's species lives in a far reaching planet that isn't easily accessible, so there's potential for him to just go home. Hera obviously lives, so that leaves us with Sabine and Ezra. I think they could also send Sabine home, but Ezra is the toughest one here. Would be harder than Kanan to see him die, so there would have to be a really great explanation as to why he's not around in the OT. Makes me even more excited to see what they come up with...

Edit: Can't wait for this:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-star-wars-hotel/

Disney-768x514.jpg

Last edited:
Back