STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
I usually wait two weeks to get an hours worth of television but if it's really good should I watch just this one?

Better then 5, but not better then the first 4.

edit: It is the longest episode thus far. In my opinion the acting in this episode is the worst of all the episodes.

Last edited:
That cameo though.

Dave Filoni :lol:

I saw someone say the acting in this one wasn't great but I didn't think it was terrible. Overall not a bad episode IMO. Next week's episode is on the 18th so it doesn't interfere with The Rise of Skywalker release.

The Twillek character was so overacted that it pulled me out of the episode. Bill Burr was also bland in my opinion

Acting is something I've never really looked to the Star Wars franchise for so I don't hold it against. I thought it was a fun episode, and probably the most of the Mando being a bad ass so far. It is a bit made-for-TV... the combination of the short performances from each known cast member, the short run-times, the short season and the slightly low budget looking effects makes me wonder what the budget of the series actually is. That's not meant as a criticism, I'm enjoying it, but I can also see why some people may feel a little underwhelmed by it.

Acting is something I've never really looked to the Star Wars franchise for so I don't hold it against. I thought it was a fun episode, and probably the most of the Mando being a bad ass so far. It is a bit made-for-TV... the combination of the short performances from each known cast member, the short run-times, the short season and the slightly low budget looking effects makes me wonder what the budget of the series actually is. That's not meant as a criticism, I'm enjoying it, but I can also see why some people may feel a little underwhelmed by it.

I still enjoyed it. But after great performances of Nolte, Carano, Herzog, Weathers, Sedaris etc. perhaps my expectations were too high.

So, I'd missed the fact that alongside the cameo mentioned, the other two pilots have directed episodes of the Mandalorian... but another cool cameo I totally missed... the guard on the prison ship was Matt Lanter, the voice of Anakin in The Clone Wars.

Looks most of the spoilers were true and it also looks like the entire movie has a series of plot holes that you could fly a Star Destroyer through.

Warning, major plot points from the film below:

- Apparently they don't explain why or how Palpatine is back, instead just using Deus ex Machina or rather Deus ex Dark Side.
- Rey's parents aren't explained, or if they are, it's rather poor.
- Finn wants to tell Rey something (that he loves her and he's Force-sensitive) but somehow forgets.

I really hope Disney fills in some gaps with Disney+'s endless stream of upcoming Star Wars shows. I'll even take an animated series.

I remember when people would just go to a theatre and form their own opinion instead of regurgitating someone elses. I watched the movie at the theatre this evening and I absolutely loved it. Is it perfect? Nope, has some meh parts. But is it pretty damn' good overall? Why yes I think it is.

And what's been posted in here so far are tiny snippets, doesn't even come close to the full story by miles... Won't spoil anything just yet. Form your own opinion, that's all.

I've seen the full spoilers. It's crap. I'm not that invested in the series so I don't care that I got spoiled. I just want a good story and this is not that.

If Antman doesn't cover himself in chillisauce and fly up the emporers butt, I'm so done with Star Wars.

In other news, **** just got real for the Mandalorian in Chapter 7.

I remember when people would just go to a theatre and form their own opinion instead of regurgitating someone elses. I watched the movie at the theatre this evening and I absolutely loved it. Is it perfect? Nope, has some meh parts. But is it pretty damn' good overall? Why yes I think it is.

And what's been posted in here so far are tiny snippets, doesn't even come close to the full story by miles... Won't spoil anything just yet. Form your own opinion, that's all.
I'm in tomorrow night! Looking forward to it. I've avoided the "leaks" like the plague and have been avoiding comment sections on articles. As you said, I'll form my own opinion.

Edit: Damn cliffhanger in the Mandalorian. :mad::lol:

Last edited:
As you said, I'll form my own opinion.
Which means you could still end up thinking it's total trash of course! ;)

I'll share more about the bits I liked and disliked in a couple of days to not spoil anything for those still wanting to watch.

I really hope Disney fills in some gaps with Disney+'s endless stream of upcoming Star Wars shows. I'll even take an animated series.

It's been 40+ years since the OT, and 20+ years since the PT, and the Star Wars Story Group are still filling gaps from those :lol:. Disney/Lucasfilm aren't as clear on their 'phases' for Star Wars as Marvel Studios are, I think they'll let the dust settle on Rise of Skywalker before even deciding what elements of the ST they'll expand on, let alone announcing them anytime soon, and in the meantime they'll be focused on building the next phase. Given the next two series are Kenobi, and Cassian, with a rumoured Dr. Aphra series of some sort, I wouldn't expect to see any of the gaps that may be present in TRoS to be filled on screen anytime soon...

Watched it last night with an open mind, and enjoyed it all the way through. Its a high paced action sci fi roller-coaster, ignore the reviews and enjoy it for yourself. Its a sign of the times that folks think its all about them when they post these negative reviews, its just egotism wanting someone to acknowledge their opinions. If you like the franchise this movie will not disappoint. Dont read any reviews in advance is my advice, enjoy it for what it is... These movies dont require deep analysis they're just fun to watch nothing more. Who goes into a star wars movie expecting long winded character drama?

So far, surprisingly, the press have actually rated it far lower than the public. Rotten Tomatoes score for the press is around 57% and audience score is in the high 80's.

I trust the public more! Its definitely better to form your own opinions about creative media, If you go in with a pre-supposition it will play out that way. On balance there is more to like than dislike about it, I fancy watching it again.

I trust the public more! Its definitely better to form your own opinions about creative media, If you go in with a pre-supposition it will play out that way. On balance there is more to like than dislike about it, I fancy watching it again.
Yeah I'll definitely see it again this next week sometime.

I thought it was great, though I agreed with a friend who said that there wouldn't have been any harm if the film was a bit longer. They crammed in a lot of things inside that 2.5 hour runtime.

Liked it enough to think it's probably the best film of this trilogy, which anyway isn't saying much. HUGE course correction was needed, that compromised the pacing a bit (1st half mostly) and made me watch slightly bemused Rian Johnson being trolled in a very explicit on-screen way.

The new military bad guy got us rid of the already ridiculed old military bad guy, but even this one lacked any kind of Tarkin-level gravitas.

Unlike TLJ, a movie that I never saw again after watching it in a theater upon release, I do think this can be added to the list of the other 7 SW movies of the skywalker family saga. It won't be my favourite but its blu ray will sit on the shelf with the others ( and Rogue One, Solo, Clone Wars and Rebels - just bought the blu ray last season of this one). So my personal canon is made of 8 movies.

Irrelevant side notes:

I do think Keri Russel is a very beautiful woman so I was bummed that I didn't get to see her face.

I've seen moped gangs more menacing than the Knights of Ren.

Last edited:
So my personal canon is made of 8 movies.

I will never understand this attitude. You can not like it of course, but to reject it entirely is just silly. The second film in each trilogy has been my least favourite, but TLJ - for all it's faults - still has the most touching moments of the entire canon in it for me... and it is canon.

I guess we're all different. What would it take you to lose all immersion in a sw movie and think "this is crap" ? You have to have your own limit, everyone has. TLJ went over my own personal limit and that's all I can say about it. Glad it didn't go over yours and you can still watch it and think you're watching a chapter of the saga.

And I have nothing against 2nd movies in fact my favourite SW movie (out of the 8) is The Empire Strikes Back.

Forgive me if I am late on this, but just discovered this little detail last night and thought I would share. While playing Jedi Fallen Order, I got to the point where I needed to go to Ilum to collect another Kyber Crystal to rebuild my lightsaber, and went searching online to see if the area I was in was the same area shown in the Clone Wars animated series where the younglings had to journey into the caves and collect their crystals. Upon doing this search I learned that Ilum is actually the planet that was turned into Star Killer base in TFA.

I like little stuff like this that just all comes together.

Not as weird as seeing Luke Skywalker refusing to battle his almighty darksider father while all his friends (and the entire rebellion) are about to die ... And then seeing him trying to kill his own padawan nephew in bed because he is being drawn into that same darkness.

Not as weird as seeing Luke throw away casually his own lightsaber ... And then seeing him give a stern lecture to Rey about a similar intention.

But as I said, we all have our limits. Mine were crossed and I'm glad this last movie made a colossal course correction and Luke showed up again as himself, for one last hurrah as the hero that brought his father back, ruined the emperor and stood faithful to what old Ben Kenobi taught him.

Finally got around to seeing this today. As a movie, it wasn't bad and had entertaining bits. As an important chapter in the Skywalker Saga though it was lacking. As I figured, the plot holes were massive and the resolution was kind of lame for a story that spans four decades.

Can we openly talk about spoilers yet? If not, I'll just cover it up.

I'm not sure how I feel about Rey being a Palpatine. It doesn't seem to fit in anywhere because Emperor Palpatine never discussed having a family and/or kids. I know in the "Legends" Palpatine did have a son, or rather crafted one, named Triclops (I'm serious) and he eventually escaped, had a kid named Ken, and then eventually had Ken train with Luke. It seems like it would've been really easy to take 30 seconds in the movie to have Kylo tell Rey that her dad was created by the Force through the work of the Emperor, or at the very least, he was cloned. I mean, they basically said the Emperor made Snoke so I don't see why they couldn't have also said: "I made Snoke, just like Rey's father."

I'm also not really sure how Palpatine came back to life. Saying "it's the dark side of the Force" seems like a cop-out, especially since the Death Star 2.0 exploded. It's still less irritating than how the movie handled Rey's parents though.

With regards to Exegol and the fleet. How in the world did anyone miss the sheer amount of materials and people going to a world that supposedly was off the charts?

Finn not being able to tell Rey or Poe or anyone that he was Force-sensitive was a bit of a letdown. Actually, the entire cast of supporting characters seemed tacked on. Like what was the point of Rose? I thought her and Finn had a thing, but he just sort of acknowledges her. The same goes for Poe's Power Ranger lover/friend. And speaking of Poe, when the hell did Poe get a backstory as a scoundrel? It's sort of like they needed a Han Solo like character and just slapped it onto an existing one.

I did like the way they handled Leia though and I thought it was a fitting end. Her treating Rey like a daughter was great and hearing "goodbye Princess" felt more like it was directed toward Fisher, which I approve of. Lando coming out of the woodwork was the kind of fan service I like as well. I'm not sure what his purpose in the movie was, but nothing wrong with a bit of Billy Dee.

I know I'm not the norm since the normal moviegoer isn't a huge Star Wars dork like I am. I can certainly see how or why people liked the movie, but for me, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Since I am off for two weeks and have no life I stayed up until 1 am my time to catch the last episode of the Mandalorian. Overall I thought it was great and the ending has a HUGE development:

Darksaber!

Last we knew, Sabine gave it to Bo-Katan in the Rebels animated series. Now it has popped up here in the hands of Moff Gideon who I assume took control of it during "the purge" that has been talked about in the show. Either way, exciting stuff and I cannot wait until season 2...

Can't wait to see it once Disney+ becomes available. I don't mind being spoiled so I have been following the story as it unfolds with interest, Reading all news and reading/viewing all reviews of this first season.

Funny that last night I put the Rebels 4th season blu ray playing and the first two episodes - Heroes of Mandalore Part I and II - are the ones that end with the DarkSaber being handed over to Bo-Katan and with her receiving a pledge of allegiance by a few Mando Clans. Considering this happens in the last year (couple of years?, not sure) of the Empire, and the Mandalorian takes place just a few (5?) years after that, I guess things didn't go well to Bo-Katan and her followers in the (presumed to happen soon after) uprising against the Empire. Were they crushed? Was Bo-Katan executed? We now know she was stripped of her symbol of power and I can't see that happening without her being dead, but under the adequate conditions she could've been simply caught off guard and made a prisoner . And what about clan Wren? Were they wiped out - killed in battle or executed after - in the process or did they escape? Sabine was alive and well when the Empire fell, that much we know.

And now, knowing of this Mandalorian uprising defeat in the last years of the empire (if the Darksaber being in the hands of a Moff doesn't mean that, then I don't know what it might mean), it seems strange that Sabine is at Lothal, still mourning Ezra's disappearance until Ashoka shows up, considering that such an event must've happened approximately when the events of the Mandalorian take place.

However, and considering that Dave Filoni and the story group are linked to both projects (Rebels and Mandalorian) I do expect a coherent story about it all.

Last edited:
Back