STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
So, the Mandalorian...

Boba Fett! Played by Temuera Morrison no less!

What I assume is a bike made from Anakin's pod racer!

Krayt Dragon pearl!

Tuskens!

How is it that this all feels more Star Wars-y than any of the latest trilogies? I'm excited to see what they have in store going forward especially when:

Ashoka shows up, since it's been more or less confirmed she's in the show.

More of Yoda's species shows up, which according to a post I saw on reddit should be happening. Apparently, a model maker was making a bunch of different Yoda species, although it is reddit so take it how you will.

How is it that this all feels more Star Wars-y

I'd say it's because it continues to stay very much in the wheelhouse of the original trilogy, and most stuff beyond that simply ties together other canon. It may make the Star Wars universe richer and more connected, in much the same way The Clone Wars did, but it doesn't really expand it, which was a task that the sequel trilogy had to take on. That's not meant as a criticism, but it's a far safer task for the creators of the Mandalorian than the Sequels.

As for Chapter 9...

I enjoyed it.

I've only read through the Aftermath trilogy one and a half times so far, but Cobb Vanth isn't quite tallying up with what I remember - that's a bit annoying if it is the case, and to be honest I found Oliphant a little underwhelming in the role - he's still Detective Castle Beck's side kick to me!

Fun enough episode though... more like, TREMORS: A Star Wars Story :D

Obviously the final few seconds is the kicker, glad Temuera has the role. Seems interesting that the Mando now has several distinct people chasing him down, not just one bad guy, and his quest is not to defeat them, but to find baby-Yoda's people.

I loved episode 1 of season 2 of Mandalorian. Just entertaining, never felt forced.

Loved Season 1 👍 A decent opener for Season 2..
I'm just hoping it doesn't follow the mould of The A team or the Hulk from the 80's or even more recent the Witcher.. will get boring if Mando just goes to a new town every episode and clears up the towns problems before moving onto the next town and repeat :P

Still I'm a huge fan of Star Wars spin offs and look forward to the rest of the season :cheers:

@Mr P

I agree that could be a risk, but I don't feel it was the case in this episode. The deal with the armour is a pretty good way of setting up an eventual meeting between the Mando and Boba Fett, whilst also bringing in elements from the novels. Cobb Vanth was one of the more talked about characters from the Aftermath trilogy simply because people like Boba, despite the fact that Cobb was a very minor character. I'd be more than happy the more they weave book characters and events in like this.

So if you have arachnophobia, you probably shouldn't watch the new episode of The Mandalorian. :P

With that said...

I noticed we had some CG baby Yoda in this episode. Is that the first time we've seen that? Or am I oblivious?

S2 Episode 3 thoughts:

Great episode! Was a bit short, but we have so much to look forward to. We get a live action appearance from Bo-Katan, played by none other than Katee Sackhoff who voices the character in the animated series. She fit the roll perfectly. She's on the hunt for the dark saber and I'm hoping we'll see her again. (likely) And of course the big name drop. Mando will be on his way to find Ahsoka Tano...

And a special thanks to the Coming Soon facebook page for spoiling this for me half way through the day. :rolleyes:

Great episode!

I recognized Bo-Katan's helmet immediately and for a moment I hoped the Blue (male) Mando by her side could be Fenn Rau, but I guess he wasn't.

Glad this "never taking the helmet off" thing has been adressed.

Lady Tano is up next. I wonder if we're going to meet her before or after she set out with Sabine Wren to look for Ezra in the "Unknown Regions". We should at least get a mention of that since we're in the same timeline as the epilogue - and Sabine's monologue - of Rebels.

WOOO! Sasha Banks!

Can't wait to see Ahsoka again, too :D

Last edited:
When's a side quest episode not a side quest episode?

When it deals with cloned host bodies not accepting high midichlorian count blood not long after the Emporer was chucked down a reactor shaft...

In non-Mando news...

I didn't much laugh at the Holiday Special, and so far From a Certain Point of View: Empire Stikes Back is just a bit.. weird... I've never felt I needed to see things from the point of view of either a Wampa, or a Taun taun...

I guess "The Mandalorian" will try to be, for the Sequel Trilogy, what "The Clone Wars" was for the Prequel Trilogy. A way, through story telling, to give depth and meaning to a 3-movie tale that left many questions unanswered.

The problem is that while the prequel trilogy was indeed a tale (indeed a tragedy) told in three films, the sequel trilogy is basically 3 movies that you must be very benevolent to consider as the 3 parts of the one and same story.

But what's done is done so it is time to pick up the pieces and build something with them I guess. It's "LEGO Star Wars" without the actual LEGO parts.

Speaking of which, while browsing Disney+ I noticed two TV series I didn't see before (unavailable in my country until the arrival of Disney+). the Fremaker adventures (LEGO) and SW Resistance (cartoons).

Since Resistance happens during the Sequel Trilogy era I avoided and went for th LEGO Freemaker series. Just finished Season 1 and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. It's meant for kids but it is engaging.

Damn. Good. Episode. One of the best filler episodes yet. Honestly had to remind myself more than once that I wasn't watching a movie.

Cannot wait for the next one.

Edit: Also, everything we saw in the trailer has been shown in the first four episodes. From here on out we have no idea what to expect...

Last edited:
I have thoroughly enjoyed Season Two so far. I have not had the complaints about the story being baddie of the week. It has all been universe building and it has been awesome. It has been very apparent that Dave Filoni has been heavily involved because The Mandalorian feels like the best parts of Clone Wars and Rebels. I am so incredibly excited for
Ahsoka Tano.
It will be even better if both
Sabine Wren and Captain Rex
also show up.

I can only hope that Ahsoka showing up in The Mandalorian will get more people to watch The Clone Wars (hopefully, they will also watch Rebels). I have had multiple people dismiss The Clone Wars solely on the basis of it being a "cartoon". The Clone Wars is the best Star Wars has to offer. It should not be dismissed because it is delivered through an animated medium.

Rebels should also not be dismissed just because it is animated. The highest points of Rebels are among the best Star Wars also. The fight between Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul was incredible.

Ahsoka will be a tough sell for me. Love the character, but without Eckstein's voice.. it just won't be right.

Yeah its a pity the character's image was created in a way that is so different to the actor that gave her voice to it. Now either they had to make Ashoka white, blonde and a bit short in height or they had to cast an actor that phisically fitted the visuals we all expect. I'm very sorry for Eckstein but it just had to be this way whenever the live action opportunity came for Lady Tano.

Regardless, I just re-watched/binged the final 4 episodes of the Clone Wars, where Eckstein delivers fantastic voice-acting. Fans will know, I hope she realizes it.

Hmmm, I gotta be honest, I'm not 100% on live action Ahsoka. Tough to say what they could have done better, but going from animation to live action... it almost feels like someone just cosplaying as a character.

As for the rest... the 'T' bomb. Hands up who thought the magistrates boss was Moff Gideon! I know I did. Introducing Thrawn to live action would be, in theory, awesome.. but like Ahsoka, I'm just not sure how convincing the live action role could be.

The first thing to say:

GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN!

Now past that.

Live action Ahsoka is weird, but they did a very good job. It was always going to be tough to transition an animated character to live action and there not be some issues. I think they mostly pulled it off though.

The episode was even better than I thought it would be. I did not expect the Thrawn drop. I just figured that would be too big of a drop, but they did it.

With the Thrawn name drop, I wonder if this means Ezra will be the one that trains Grogu.

Live action Ahsoka is weird, but they did a very good job. It was always going to be tough to transition an animated character to live action and there not be some issues. I think they mostly pulled it off though.
It's the same deal with Anikan in the animated series vs his real life counterpart. To me they feel like two very different characters. But, I feel like they pulled of Ahsoka the best they could and for me it worked. And that Thrawn name drop though...
So, my thoughts on the newest episode:

Yes
^^^ To expand on this.
Loved the episode from beginning to end. The cinematography was incredible. I got some Blade Runner 2049 vibes on some of the shots (with the music). Ahsoka for me was great. We finally got a name for the child and some of his backstory. Now I'm curious who took him from the Temple.

Last edited:
Well, Grogu is an interesting name. I'm surprised it was something with a "Y" given that we have Yoda and Yaddle.

Speaking of Yoda and Yaddle, I wonder if Grogu is their kid? The time frame almost works.

Also, was that owl Morai? It sure seems like Morai.

It's the same deal with Anikan in the animated series vs his real life counterpart. To me they feel like two very different characters. But, I feel like they pulled of Ahsoka the best they could and for me it worked. And that Thrawn name drop though...

^^^ To expand on this.
Loved the episode from beginning to end. The cinematography was incredible. I got some Blade Runner 2049 vibes on some of the shots (with the music). Ahsoka for me was great. We finally got a name for the child and some of his backstory. Now I'm curious who took him from the Temple.

Clone Wars Anakin is better than life action Anakin. Clone Wars fleshes him out so well and makes him so much less whiny than he was in the movies. He is also more competent in Clone Wars. Overall, Clone Wars makes him a better character and makes the Prequels better.

Well, Grogu is an interesting name. I'm surprised it was something with a "Y" given that we have Yoda and Yaddle.

Speaking of Yoda and Yaddle, I wonder if Grogu is their kid? The time frame almost works.

Also, was that owl Morai? It sure seems like Morai.

Grogu could be Yoda and Yaddle's kid. The time frame would definitely work.

I am pretty sure that was Morai. Morai has followed Ahsoka since the Clone Wars.

Yes.

And Loth Cats!

Another reason I think the Jedi that will reach out to Grogu will be Ezra. I just hope if we get Ezra we get Hera, but more importantly, I want Chopper to make an appearance.

Last edited:
Rewatched Clone Wars last three episodes before this episode. Awesome opening scene.
I'm fine with it. I questioned Rosario Dawson being the choice actor, but she fit the character, at Ashoka's current age, very well. Looking forward to the spin off.

Taking a moment here to remember David Prowse

Regarding The Mandalorian
I enjoyed seeing Ashoka in live action and Rosario Dawson IMHO embodied her perfectly. A great episode, very Samurai-esque but that's to be expected from Filoni. I do have two somewhat "dislikes" to add though, one I think Filoni is responsible for, the other he isnt:

1. Ashoka ambushed and went for the kill of the Mandalorian with no questions asked. I understand she had every reason to suspect him an hired assassin but regardless, I thought that attitude a bit out of character.

2. A few years ago it would be obvious that Ashoka would recommend Djin to go and meet Luke Skywalker, the greatest Jedi in existence and the redeemer of Anakin. Hera was at Endor, Rex was at Endor, there's no way she doesn't know what happened. But now we know - "thanks" to the sequels - Luke's a dead end, soon to be the homicidal uncle of a Jedi academy that will burn to the ground. Simply put, if Grogu goes there he is toast. So ... Ashoka sends the Mandalorian to some lost old Jedi temple. It's all a pity but as someone famously said ... it is what it is. And there's nothing Filoni can do about it, save the conscient decision to steer away from all the original trilogy characters and send these new heroes and villains onto a different, parallel, path in the same galaxy far far away.

9si9faI.jpg

RIP Dave/Darth :(

Very good live action work for Ahsoka! Never knew that there is a white lightsaber.

Now we know the youngling's name and past! Grogu and Mando's adventures continue!

A few years ago it would be obvious that Ashoka would recommend Djin to go and meet Luke Skywalker, the greatest Jedi in existence and the redeemer of Anakin. Hera was at Endor, Rex was at Endor, there's no way she doesn't know what happened. But now we know - "thanks" to the sequels - Luke's a dead end, soon to be the homicidal uncle of a Jedi academy that will burn to the ground. Simply put, if Grogu goes there he is toast. So ... Ashoka sends the Mandalorian to some lost old Jedi temple. It's all a pity but as someone famously said ... it is what it is. And there's nothing Filoni can do about it, save the conscient decision to steer away from all the original trilogy characters and send these new heroes and villains onto a different, parallel, path in the same galaxy far far away.

I wouldn't agree the ST closes down the option of Grogu ending up with Luke at some point though, there's enough space in the timeline to write him out of those events in future. It's somewhere between 6 and 16 years in the timeline from the Mandalorian to when Luke even starts his Jedi Academy. Plus, Ahsoka's reticence to train, or allow a Force user to be trained is pretty valid, and as far as options go, Tython has quite some significance (according to Legends, some of which has already been validated in the new Canon). FWIW, I very much hope young Luke doesn't show up in the Mandalorian, it's not like they could make him a regular character so unless they're planning on writing the child out of the series, he wouldn't go with him anyway - again making the eventual end of Luke's Academy irrelevant anyway. And if they were writing the child out, they could just have had Ahsoka agree to take him.

edit: Also, I think it might be worth starting a new thread for the Mandalorian. Might make it less problematic with spoilers and discussing all the other new content on its way.

Last edited:
Back