Star Wars trilogy coming to dvd

  • Thread starter Thread starter James1985
  • 35 comments
  • 1,400 views
Messages
478
the original Star Wars trilogy is coming to dvd (at last) after the summer will be a 4 disc box set with one disc for special features.

Amazing what they did back then with just models, paintings and clever camera tricks.

swfalcon.jpg
 
Really. I've been wanting Star Wars on DVD for a long time. In fact I am watching Empire Strikes Back right now as I type this on VHS.
 
I believe it comes out sometime in September :D Can't wait:)





















...100th post w00t w00t:D ...


















...sorry for being off-topic. I just had to:indiff:
 
I'm surpirsed. He often said he would never release it on DVD, and that he was wating for "A better quality medium."

We have HD-DVD, Blu-ray and the other high-definition player format from China and Korea coming out soon. I wonder if he couldn't make up his mind format to choose, because as most of us remember with the Beta/VHS war in the early 80's, there can be only one victor.
 
Originally posted by Solid Lifters
I'm surpirsed. He often said he would never release it on DVD, and that he was wating for "A better quality medium."
Huh? My ancient VHS copy is clean enough that I can see many of the issues with the special effects (in ESB, for instance, look at the dashboard of the snow speeder as it flies over the terrain). So why would you want a "better quality medium" if all it's going to do is put an even harsher spotlight on the limitations of the original sfx?

I mean, that's like saying a CD is not a high enough "quality medium" for, say, the collected works of Elmore James.

I saw the original Star Wars in the first run theatres, several times. I've seen every movie since then. But I'll never understand the Cult Of Star Wars. They're just not that good, and each successive one is getting worse.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke


I saw the original Star Wars in the first run theatres, several times. I've seen every movie since then. But I'll never understand the Cult Of Star Wars. They're just not that good, and each successive one is getting worse.
I feel the same with with Start Trek. They have made so many bad movies and bad shows based around it and yet the nerd base is still expanding exponentially towards them. I just don't get it. It's lame.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
I saw the original Star Wars in the first run theatres, several times. I've seen every movie since then. But I'll never understand the Cult Of Star Wars. They're just not that good, and each successive one is getting worse.


The OT (Original Trilogy) was the right film at the right time for the right people.

I personally feel that the PT (Prequel Trilogy) is the right film at the wrong time for the wrong people. But I have a 5 year old nephew that goes absolutely bonkers for anything Star Wars. A couple of Halloweens ago, I dressed up as a Jedi and took him trick or treating. You cannot imagine a happier little boy than to walk around with his Jedi uncle.

Bottom line is that the Star Wars films are pure children's fantasy. It's not Shakespeare. Its not Citizen Cane. It's Snow White and Cinderella for boys. If you look at the films with a child's sense of wonder and ability to suspend disbelief (like how horrid the acting and dialogue is), they are very easy to enjoy.

But I know a lot of people 30-40 that grew up on the OT that hate the PT. This isn't because the films are worse. They're still the chessy popcorn films they've always been. We've simply moved on. In other words, Lucas didn't leave us. We left him.

Well, some of us did. I like the PT.


M
 
Originally posted by Rumple Foreskin
I feel the same with with Start Trek. They have made so many bad movies and bad shows based around it and yet the nerd base is still expanding exponentially towards them. I just don't get it. It's lame.

You really have to be a fan of sci-fi in general to understand Star Trek. It is by far less accessible than "the other Star-something franchise".


M
 
This isn't because the films are worse. They're still the chessy popcorn films they've always been. We've simply moved on. In other words, Lucas didn't leave us. We left him.

No way man!

The OT is still good and has lots of clever dialogue and good character interactions. The PT has almost no dialogue (what there is of it is painful) and very little character interaction.

If you can look at it objectively, the PT is composed of movies that are faaar worse than the OT.

Examples:

Love Scene OT: "Being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited"
Love Scene PT: "I don't like sand, it's coarse and rough, not like you, you're soft and smooth"

Comic Relief OT: "He could use a good kiss", "I thought they smelled bad on the outside"
Comic Relief PT: C3P0 delivering an out-of-character line while his head is severed "this is such a drag"
JarJar getting sapped by electricity so that his tongue hangs out.

Most common thing seen on the screen
OT: Dialogue
PT: Scene swipe.

I think it's clear, the OT was a more mature set of movies.
 
Agreed with everything danoff said. I would still rather watch the OT movies over the PT movies any day. I'm much more willing to suspend disbelief for the movies that were made with more visible lumps and seams, because the story is so much more compelling.

Well, except for the mediocre-at-best Return Of The Jedi.
 
Originally posted by danoff
No way man!

The OT is still good and has lots of clever dialogue and good character interactions. The PT has almost no dialogue (what there is of it is painful) and very little character interaction.

If you can look at it objectively, the PT is composed of movies that are faaar worse than the OT.

<GOOD EXAMPLES SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>

I think it's clear, the OT was a more mature set of movies.

Plenty of corn-ball in the OT danoff. It was just easier for you to accept because you were a kid.

COUNTER-EXAMPLES

Awful touchy-feely scene from Jedi: "It's you Leia." "I know. Somehow I've always known."

Dumb, love-struck Luke scene from Hope: "You think a princess and a guy like me...?" "No."

Creepy incestous kissing scene from Empire :yuck: Even when you didn't know they were brother and sister, it was still a lame scene.

Random cornball dialog: "Will some get this walking carpet out of my way?" "I'd rather kiss a wookie." "Whose scruffy looking?"

Oh, and ANOTHER DEATH STAR? Hello?? Haven't we seen this movie already about 6 years ago?? AND FREAKEN EWOKS!!! OH MY FRIGGIN GOD HOW LAME ARE THEY?!

C'mon danoff. The OT was not a paradigm of high class film making.
 
C'mon danoff. The OT was not a paradigm of high class film making.

Oh I totally agree that OT has it's low points. But PT was phoned in entirely.

Your counter-examples aren't even that bad... except for the ewoks.


Basically what I'm getting at here is that OT was made for 13 year olds while PT was made for 7 year olds.
 
Originally posted by danoff
Oh I totally agree that OT has it's low points. But PT was phoned in entirely.

Your counter-examples aren't even that bad... except for the ewoks.

"phoned in entirely"? Not sure what that means. :confused:

And I think my counter-examples are pretty awful. Just like plenty of awful stuff we enjoyed when we were children. Doesn't make it a bad thing, it just means our tastes change.

C'mon. Admit you thought Knight Rider was cool.

And remember, the critics' reviews of the OT were just as bad as they are for the PT. (which is ironic because now critics say the OT was so great and the PT doesn't live up to them) Educated film buffs were baffled why these hooky films were so popular.

This doesn't mean I like the PT better than the OT. I think each film has its own strengths and weaknesses. But they really should be judged as a whole, singluar continuous story. Which is why I'm looking forward to watching all 6 back to back when Lucas is finally done.


M
 
"phoned in entirely"? Not sure what that means

hmmm... phoned in is a phrase used to describe half-assedness. Here I'm basically claiming that Lucus couldn't even be bothered to come in to work on the project, he just gave a few instructions over the phoned and half-assed it.

What's more likely happened was that he didn't get good writers for PT.

I take it you're conceeding the fact that the OT was targeted at a different age group than the PT is...
 
Originally posted by danoff
Basically what I'm getting at here is that OT was made for 13 year olds while PT was made for 7 year olds.

I take it you're conceeding the fact that the OT was targeted at a different age group than the PT is...

Hmm. It is true that with each film Lucas is speaking to a differently aged audience. I think the maturity of the films moves around quite a bit.

Here's my stab at approximate maturity level for each film:

Ep I: 7
Ep II: 10
Ep III: Who knows yet, but I'll guess 14-15
Ep IV: 7
Ep V: 14
Ep VI: 10

Empire is easily the darkest, most mature of the completed ones. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that it is the only one Lucas did not direct and write alone (he co-wrote and produced it). Interestingly, it is by far the most popular amongst fans.

But if you'll notice, there is a cycle in the series. The story starts innocent, grows up, gets dark, then starts over. It then grows up for Empire and then regresses with Jedi. I'm pretty sure this is planned.


M
 
Originally posted by danoff
hmmm... phoned in is a phrase used to describe half-assedness. Here I'm basically claiming that Lucus couldn't even be bothered to come in to work on the project, he just gave a few instructions over the phoned and half-assed it.

You haven't seen the documentaries on the DVDs? Dude was all up in the production. Nothing happened without his personal okay.


M
 
You haven't seen the documentaries on the DVDs? Dude was all up in the production. Nothing happened without his personal okay.

That must have been the problem.

I'd say that episode 1 is closer to 11-12 for a traget audience. You have pointed one thing out to me, though, I do think of empire when I think of the OT.
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
Huh? My ancient VHS copy is clean enough that I can see many of the issues with the special effects (in ESB, for instance, look at the dashboard of the snow speeder as it flies over the terrain). So why would you want a "better quality medium" if all it's going to do is put an even harsher spotlight on the limitations of the original sfx?

Older movies have at least 700 lines of resolution. DVD has 480. I think Lucas wanted to make a dynamic release of the original trilogy, and was wating for the right medium to do it. DVD wasn't it, but I guess he just changed his mind.

I don't think there is much "limitations of sfx" in his movies. Especially after he "re-made" them. Plus, I keep in mind I'm just watching a movie. So, if it happens, it wont be a big deal, to me.

Have you seen an older movie in high-definition yet? It's a much better visual experience compared to DVD, and it doesn't reveal much of the limitations of ancient specail effects. Yes, there are some moments when you chuckle at things, but it doesn't happen often.

Note: James Bond movies offer the most chuckles, so far, when viewed in HD. (Octopusy; hee-hee!)
 
Less than 2 weeks to go before the DVD set hits the stores. Thought I'd pass on information about the various changes/updates Lowry made to the original trilogy. This is a compliation of information from various websites from people who have pirate versions of the actual releases. In fact, all three films are making the rounds in cyberspace in divx format as we speak...

A New Hope

-Han and Greedo scene in the cantina is tightened up a little so the shots are closer together. BUT GREEDO STILL SHOOTS FIRST.

-Jabba scene from 97 SE version improved with new Jabba rendering that is closer to his look in The Phantom Menance.

-Light saber effects updated to PT standards in most shots. Obi-Wan's saber no longer 'fizzles' during Death Star duel.

Empire Strikes Back

-Ian McDiarmid replaces original actor as the Emperor. New dialog recorded with McDiarmid and James Earl Jones for Vader/Emperor scene.

-Temuera Morrison's (Jango Fett) voice replaces original Boba Fett dialogue.

-Taun-tuan and AT-AT stop motion effects are smoothed out and look more realistic.

Return of the Jedi

-Image of Hayden Christensen replaces original actor (Sebastian Shaw) at the very end when Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda appears as ghosts to Luke.

-Dialogue about Leia remembering her mother during scene with Luke on Endor is altered; certain lines omitted.

-Naboo added to celebration montage at the end ; 'helicopter shot' of Theed similar to droid invasion shot from Phantom Menance.

In general, the films are much cleaner than the various VHS and laser disc releases as the original print of the films have been treated to a full restoration. General consensous is the sound and picture quality is much improved. A lot of the effects shots have been touched up and little mistakes that only long time fans will see (like Vader's saber appearing white in one shot or R2-D2 appearing in black and white in an xwing shot) have been fixed.

More spoiler info at http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/


M
 
This trilogy will only contain the re-released movies with the extra footage and re-done special effects, if I'm not mistaken. That, my friends, is bullcrap. Buy it if you want, but I say Lucas can go to hell. Any prissy director who holds out this long before releasing his most famous movies on DVD is trying to tell you something: you're all his slaves and he knows it.
 
Anderton
This trilogy will only contain the re-released movies with the extra footage and re-done special effects, if I'm not mistaken.

This release will contain additional/altered scenes, effects enhancements, multi-track commentary as well as a ground up restoration from the original celluloid and a DD 5.1EX audio track. It will includes the perfunctory special features disc with documentaries.


Anderton
That, my friends, is bull****. Buy it if you want, but I say Lucas can go to hell. Any prissy director who holds out this long before releasing his most famous movies on DVD is trying to tell you something: you're all his slaves and he knows it.

I don't get it. What are you upset about? The DVD standard was created in 1997. Lucas waited 6-7 years... what's the big deal?


M
 
GUESS WHAT? THE STAR WARS ARE OVER!!

What's the big deal? Have you failed to grasp the point here?! Lucas openly stated he wasn't going to release the movies on DVD because he didn't feel the format was up to par. WTF? Why wouldn't he just release them and then, when something better comes along, release them again in that format? 7 years is a hell of a long time to wait for such major motion pictures to simply be released on DVD, and then for him to release them in something other than their original theatrical release form? I want the ORIGINAL, unaltered, un-resotred movies, the way I saw them in the theatre and on VHS. No one should get a chance to re-do their old movies and try to re-release them with better effects, hoping that people will forget what they looked like originally.

And I also heard that Lucas, whom I feel is among the biggest schmuks in Hollywood, decided he would further doctor the movies in order to have them mesh better and more seamlessly with the prequels, which are some of the worst footage ever captured on film. If seeing The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones was not enough for you to remain seated as the credits roll thinking to yourself, "What the HELL?" then I don't know what is. Lucas knew he had magically captured the minds of millions of movie fans with his original trilogy, which includes me. But he threw these two garbage prequels at an unsuspecting audience made up of slaves and worshippers. Lucas is not God; in fact, he's closer to God's southern neighbour of you ask me.

For crying out loud, people. He has actually REPLACED the Emperor and the voice of Boba Fett from from ESB and Anakin Skywalker from ROTJ to make it match the prequels! Why not just re-make the entire original trilogy and make it look like it was shot last year, Georgie? FOOL! CON-MAN! I once saw this rather cheesy movie, perhaps you've heard of it, it's called The Running Man. Remember how the host doctored the game footage to make it look the way he wanted it to? Also remember when the Rebels uncover the truth and reveal it to the audience - and the world? They print on the screen in bold letters, KILLIAN IS LYING TO YOU. Now, think about that for a little while and let me know if you come up with any parallels.

The originals are way more enjoyable and much easier to appreciate when seen in their original form. Late '70s / early 80's special effects actually add to the enjoyment of viewing them.

I wouldn't want my DVD copy of Citizen Kane re-released in colour, I don't own a copy of The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen , and I want my New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi on DVD the way I remember them. It would help me to treat them as the ONLY Star Wars movies I will ever acknowledge, and forget about the two pieces of camel dung I not only lined up for eternity to see, but shelled out mucho bucks to be more disappointed than I have ever been from a movie in my life.
 
I don’t have the faintest idea what “the Star Wars is over” means, but maybe you should relax a little. You just wrote a 551 word rant about it, so it sounds to me like you’re the one who doesn’t realize its ‘over’... whatever that means.

Lucas didn’t want to release a DVD set in ‘97 or ‘98 because he knew he was going to update the original films after he was done with the prequels. He wanted to wait on the definitive versions of the original films because he needed material from the finished prequels.

But the best reason is probably because he knew that if he released the OT in its original form, there'd be a bunch of whiny-butt fans snickering that he clearly didn't think enough of the '97 Special Editions to release them on DVD. If he released them in '97 SE format, the same whiney-butt fans would cry a river about not the getting their original format movies. If he released either set in '98, then again when he got around to touch them up, the whiney-butts are all up in arms because Lucas will be an greedy evil bastard for 'making' them buy the same set of movies again.

No matter what he does, the whiny-butts are going to complain about it. The number of sniveling, whiney punk "fans" with an endless sense of entitlement the Star Wars community has is pathetic. So like any reasonable person, Lucas has decided to do what he feels is best, appease the fans that agree with his decision, and not worry about the fans that don't.

As for being a slave and worshipper, you’re the one who seems to have a great deal of emotional investment in the original films in their original format. I, on the other hand am open to changes made to the films so long as they serve the greater story. I certainly am open to technical improvements in sound picture quality. You insist on one version and one version ONLY because in your mind there is nothing Lucas can do to improve the original films. You're also upset and deeply resentful that it took 7 years for Lucas to get the originals into this format ---oh, heaven forbid he make YOU wait until he's done. Sounds to me like the slave is you.

Don’t like the changes? No problem. Dig out your '95 VHS tapes and watch them. Or not. No one cares. But this bellyaching about what Lucas is doing to HIS MOVIES is pointless and absurd. But since you are fond of the big red font and like to belabor the obvious....

STAR WARS IS NOT YOUR STORY TO TELL. IT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU. HOW THE STORY IS TOLD AND THE FORMAT IT IS SOLD IN IS THE SOLE PROPERTY OF ITS CREATOR. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN HELL YOUR VISION OF WHAT STAR WARS SHOULD BE IS MORE VALID THAN THE MAN WHO FREAKIN WROTE IT.

Jeeze.


M
 
I, like many other fans, would simply like the original movies on DVD. Lucas can add new scenes and update the effects all he wants, you're right that it is his perogative. However, to ignore those of us who would like the movies as they were originally shown in theatres put on DVD with nothing changed is asinine.

And don't try to spoon-feed me that crap about Lucas going through tough deliberation about which format to release. He openly said he didn't like DVD. I don't think that's right. How come he isn't releasing this set - which fans have waited so long for - with the option to watch the movies in either form?

"Lucas has decided to do what he feels is best, appease the fans that agree with his decision, and not worry about the fans that don't."

If you can honestly say this is a better decision than appeasing everyone, which would not be difficult to do at all in this case, then you are truly among the lost ones.

How exactly am I claiming that Star Wars is my story to tell? I think that the story should simply be preserved in its original format. I have seen the re-released SEs, and there is something artificial and forced about them - something magical about the trilogy is lost. I don't really think that's me trying to claim the story as my own to tell. Lucas may have written the movies blah blah blah, but he's a multi-millionaire who has dollar-signs in his eyes. That's the simplest and most logical explanation for this set we have coming out now. What should worry you even more than my "551-word rant" is the fact that you may not ever get to see the original movies on DVD. Ever. While you may be a fan of the SEs and the prequels - and thus support the direction Lucas has chosen to follow - he has left at least half of his fans in the dust.

The fact that the SEs were given a theatrical re-release makes me think Lucas is money-hungry. There are hundreds of thousands of fans who have never seen the original three movies in theatres - and probably many who have never seen them in their original format at all - and believe the SEs to be the difinitive versions. And that's not only dangerous but also sad. This paves the way for anyone to wait, improve their movie and bring it up to present-day standards, then release it on DVD and hope the past disappears.

You only get one chance to show the world what you can do with a camera. No second chances, and that should apply to everyone, from Paul W.S. Anderson to the Wachowskis to Lucas himself. It makes me sick when people revere George Lucas as a demi-god. His Star Wars movies were stellar in their original form. Why does anyone need more than that? There are now going to be THREE versions of each movie available for viewers, and only ONE of these will be on DVD. Something is wrong here.

And since you can't seem to understand what I mean, I'll explain "The Star Wars are over." It is a battle cry for die-hard fans of the original movies, and it means the three original movies were enough, the prequels suck, give us our Star Wars in un-altered DVD format, and there are some of us out there who can smell a money-making scheme coming.

There has to be someone in all of GTP who agrees with me that this new trilogy is an offense.
 
If it matters to you, there are plenty of movie fans at GTP who feel the way you do about the prequels. Just go back and read this entire thread. Duke and danoff in particular are not fans of Lucas' recent work and even though we agree on a lot of things, Star Wars is not one of them.

IMO, the reason why so many 20-30 somethings hate the prequels so much is because they had unreasonable expectations of what the experience should have been. This is because we ('we' as in an entire generation of people who grew up on the OT) went to the see the PT expecting the SAME kind of experience we felt when we saw the originals the first time.

That's foolish, IMO. The first time most of us saw the OT, we were children. Our standard of judging what constitutes good entertainment was woefully lower back then. In the 80s, I myself thought 'Knight Rider' was actually a good show. I wouldn't have been caught dead watching Citizen Kane or Casablanca, much less appreciating them.

20 years later should we expect to react to a movie the same way we did when we were 7 or 8? Of course we shouldn’t. Our tastes change. They develop and grow. The OT was fun and entertaining, but not exactly high-class film-making. Lucas himself called them an homage to old B-movies. He didn't turn his back on us. He's telling the same old hookey space opera he's been for a quarter century. We left him.

If you can honestly say this is a better decision than appeasing everyone, which would not be difficult to do at all in this case, then you are truly among the lost ones.

Save your condesending arrogance for some chump who buys it, pal. The only person lost here is you. I don't have a problem with the fact that you want the original films on DVD. I have a problem with the fact that you think Lucas owes it to you. Lucas doesn’t owe you anything. He is not in the business of making you happy. Not selling you the original films on DVD doesn’t make him a bad person. It doesn’t make him "a schmuck" or "asinine" or "a con-man".

But what blows my mind is that you want a DVD set from Lucas so bad you make a series of personal attacks on him for not giving you what you want, but at the same time you call him a money grubber with dollar signs in his eyes. How convenient; if he sells something you want it’s cool. But if he sells something you don’t want, you 'smell a scheme' and call him a greedy bastard. Gimme a break. If you don't think it's completely transparent what a childish attitude this is, you are wrong. 👎

Look, just leave it at this: You don’t want this version of the OT, so don’t buy it. Believe me, no one is going to lose any sleep over it but you. But don’t bother coming in here and try to convince me that I’m a fool or a slave for want a copy of this or that Lucas is some sort of bad guy because he’s not giving you something you want. It just ain’t gonna fly.


M
 
Lucas does owe me. Just like he owes EVERY fan of the original movies. Maybe one day he'll bring them out on DVD in a new trilogy and then I'll buy them. Of course, knowing him, he'll probably put something on there that'll make those of you who buy this set to buy that one too.

And I realize you don't agree, but the fact is that the true test of a movie's value is how it stands up through time. Not how it looks after you've changed it so much it hardly resembles its original form. Cameron didn't go back and take the stop-motion out of The Terminator so it matched T2. And yet The Terminator still appeals to millions of people. Unchanged. the way it was meant to be. On DVD, with some added features but nothing about the movie itself changed. If it's okay for Lucas to do this, why not let Richard Donner go back and replace Christopher Reeves' face with whoever plays the new Superman in the sequel? Or use new technology to make it look more realistic when the Caped Crusader flies around? Because it just wouldn't be right, that's why. So why is it right for Lucas to do it to Star Wars? Answer: IT'S NOT. Heaven forbid we should have an older movie come out on DVD actually looking like it's older!

You haven't answered my most pertinent question, so I'll ask it again. Why didn't Lucas release this set with the movies as they originally came out in theatres included? The cost would be minimal, as I've seen such a task accomplished on several other DVDs, most notably the Alien Quadrilogy.

A man like Gorge Lucas ought to know how much he owes his success to his FANS. To THE PEOPLE WHO WATCH HIS MOVIES. The guy hasn't done a thing of value in the last 15 years, so he goes ahead and tinkers with the only good stuff he ever made, and ruins it in the process. That's not movie-making, it's business.

James1985's original post states: "Amazing what they did back then with just models, paintings and clever camera tricks." My thoughts exactly. But what good is this sentiment if Lucas is allowed to cover it all up and polish it to look all shiny and flawless?

And I do believe I will say whatever I want about George Lucas. I've given enough reasons to back up my opinion, and you can do what you want and buy what you want. I apologize if I came across as condescending, that was not my intention. I feel very strongly about George Lucas, and have felt this way ever since I waited over three hours in line to get tickets to The Phantom Menace and then saw what crap it was. I think we're onto a spirited debate on this subject, but alas I don't think anyone else wants to participate. And I'm not attacking you or anyone else on GTP, but I am attacking Lucas with all my strength. I thought Lucas' slaves were happy to be called such, and knew full well what they were.

By the way, I only used the big red banner so someone would read my post, which I fully realize was a bit long.

Just don't get upset when I say I told you so when one day you see the following on the shelves of your local Blockbuster:

Star Wars: A New Hope
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: The Return of The Jedi
See them as they were meant to be seen. For the first time on DVD, all three movies in their original, un-altered state.
With an all-new, exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the Epilogue Trilogy, and an authentic numbered photocell from the original theatrical release of Return of The Jedi, signed by George Lucas himself.

If I've learned one thing from Mr. Lucas, it's that something similar to this will come out someday in the near future, in a galaxy very close by...
 
Think I'll be adding that to my collection 👍
 
I agree with Lucas's decision to perform minor updates to the films. For example, replacing the original actor with Hayden Christenson makes sense, because now we know young Anakin. If it were not done everyone would snicker at the "continuity error".

Also, in recent months I've been listening to some old CDs. From the time when CDs were only just out. Listening to these discs on quality hi-fi equipment is actually a quite upsetting experience. You spend the whole time wishing that the disc was remastered, and that the roughness around the recording was smoothed over using modern techniques. In this instance, the poor quality recording detracts from the enjoyment of the material that was recorded.
 
Back