Star Wars trilogy coming to dvd

  • Thread starter Thread starter James1985
  • 35 comments
  • 1,396 views
Anderton
Lucas does owe me. Just like he owes EVERY fan of the original movies.
...
A man like Gorge Lucas ought to know how much he owes his success to his FANS. To THE PEOPLE WHO WATCH HIS MOVIES.
...
The guy hasn't done a thing of value in the last 15 years, so he goes ahead and tinkers with the only good stuff he ever made, and ruins it in the process. That's not movie-making, it's business.
....
And I do believe I will say whatever I want about George Lucas. I've given enough reasons to back up my opinion, and you can do what you want and buy what you want. I apologize if I came across as condescending, that was not my intention.

No he doesn't. You watched a few of his movies, not seal a contract for his lifelong services. Buying a few movie tickets or some VHS tapes is not a promise for future gratification; just like if you buy a car, the manufactuer doesn't promise you'll like the next model in 6 years, or if you go to a football game, the team doesn't promise you they'll win the Super Bowl or if you take a girl on a date, she doesn't promise she'll put out for you.

And you are free to saying whatever you want about Lucas, so long as you don't violate the AUP. And I'll be here to point out how unreasonable your personal attacks on him are.


Anderton
And I realize you don't agree, but the fact is that the true test of a movie's value is how it stands up through time. Not how it looks after you've changed it so much it hardly resembles its original form.

You exaggerate the degree of change with the films, but I honestly have no interest in debating the merits of the '97 SE or '04 DVD changes with you. Not because I don't have reasons or can't articulate them, but because frankly I have better things to do with my time at GTP.


Anderton
So why is it right for Lucas to do it to Star Wars? Answer: IT'S NOT. Heaven forbid we should have an older movie come out on DVD actually looking like it's older!

Once again, its his movie to do with whatever he desires. Do you not understand the concept of ownership?


Anderton
You haven't answered my most pertinent question, so I'll ask it again. Why didn't Lucas release this set with the movies as they originally came out in theatres included?

Since when did you think I was a spokesperson for Lucas? Why don't you ask him?


Anderton
I think we're onto a spirited debate on this subject, but alas I don't think anyone else wants to participate.

Probably because the changes don't bother most people. You are a part of a very vocal minority.


Anderton
Just don't get upset when I say I told you so when one day you see the following on the shelves of your local Blockbuster:

Why would I get upset?


M
 
M-Spec, the disagreement between you and I can be traced back to one very simple principle. You believe Lucas doesn't owe his fans anything, and I believe he does. Movies are made for the people who watch them - at least this is why they should be made. No I never signed a "contract" with Lucas, but I did buy tickets to his movies and I have bought all of the Star Wars scores and many different versions of the OT on VHS. I think that's enough money to entitle me to my opinion. I still maintain that George Lucas owes me the respect of not ignoring me and my "small minorty" of fans who want the movies to remain unchanged. If I boycott a movie, that's another expression of the "contract" between the movie-maker and the movie-goer. It's one of the only measures we can take as viewers when we don't like something. I had no problem with the Star Wars movies until Lucas started making changes to them. Now that he has, I will not be buying the trilogy. But I won't stop there. No, I will also post as much as I like to show others how much I hate George Lucas and how I think what he has done is wrong.

I was asking you why Lucas didn't choose to please as many of his fans as possible by releasing the trilogy with the option of watching them as they were meant to be seen, and you told me to ask Lucas. I suspect this is because you can't answer this question. I think it's because he wants more money. When the original trilogy is released the way I would like to see them - if ever - that will mean fans who bought this set coming out now but who wanted the same thing I do will be forced to shell out another $50 bucks or so, and that doesn't sit right with me.

I don't like George Lucas. I never have and I never will. However, my dislike for the man himself does not mean I didn't like the OT, because I loved it. But I don't like my movies changed around from how they were when I saw them. A movie is like a painting, which should never be touched up and altered once it has been placed in a museum.

I'm glad this set is being released for those fans who want to buy it, but I'm still waiting.

And in case you didn't realize, saying you have better things to do than argue this point with me at the end of your 4th post on the subject is a bit hypocritical, if not wholly condescending. I believe you dislike condescension, right? So do I.
 
Anderton
M-Spec, the disagreement between you and I can be traced back to one very simple principle.

Okay.

Anderton
I was asking you why Lucas didn't choose to please as many of his fans as possible by releasing the trilogy with the option of watching them as they were meant to be seen, and you told me to ask Lucas. I suspect this is because you can't answer this question.

Of course. If I knew the answer, I'd have told you.


Anderton
I think it's because he wants more money.

That's silly. If he wanted money, he'd sell both versions; but instead he is denying himself an opportunity to sell more DVDs.


Anderton
I don't like George Lucas. I never have and I never will. However, my dislike for the man himself does not mean I didn't like the OT, because I loved it. But I don't like my movies changed around from how they were when I saw them. A movie is like a painting, which should never be touched up and altered once it has been placed in a museum.

That's fine. And when you make your own movies, you can choose to leave them alone to your heart's content.


Anderton
And in case you didn't realize, saying you have better things to do than argue this point with me at the end of your 4th post on the subject is a bit hypocritical, if not wholly condescending. I believe you dislike condescension, right? So do I.

Well then let me clear up this bit of confusion. I have no issue with you or anyone who doesn't like the '97 SE or '04 DVD versions of Star Wars. If you had simply stated that you hated the new versions and left it at that, I'd never have replied.

I have no desire to debate which is better because a) the changes are so minor I don't find it an interesting thing to debate and b) I don't care to change your mind ; its just not important to me. It would be as useless for me to try and convince you to like the same beer I like or how I take my coffee.

But I take exception to your personal attacks on Lucas and hence is the only reason why I even responded. I simply don't think it is right to turn Lucas' creative and business decisions into a charcter flaw. If I wanted to be condescending, it would have been a lot more obvious, so clearly this was not the case.


M
 
Well this thread has been rather quiet, so I thought I'd resurrect it after having had the "pleasure" of watching the conclusion to Return of the Jedi on my friend's DVD (yes he decided to buy the set despite my protesting).

George Lucas has managed to ruin his best movies. If anyone can sit there at their keyboard and realistically, truthfully type that they watched the end of Episode VI, complete with altered music during the jubilation scene, added shots of Naboo and other planets during the same scene, and the replaced shot of the "old" Anakin with one of Hayden (and his god-awful new haircut), and thought it was an improvment, give me your address and I'll gladly come and beat some sense into you with said keyboard.
 
Anaconda
Cant wait till HD-DVD comes out. :)
It wont. Twentieth Century Fox, and almost every other major movie company, is going with Blu-ray. It's over for HD-DVD.
 
Back