Why don't other states play?

My prediction is NSW will lose, lose, lose
It will be like last year.
QLD win 2 times, lose once

And I live in NSW.

Why is it only QLD and NSW?

- It's not their battle, 1 on 1 makes it more intense
- The other states don't have anywhere near as many rugby players in their gene pool
- Most of the rugby-watching population lives in NSW and QLD, other states prefer AFL for some reason.

- It's not their battle, 1 on 1 makes it more intense
- The other states don't have anywhere near as many rugby players in their gene pool
- Most of the rugby-watching population lives in NSW and QLD, other states prefer AFL for some reason.

The one on one is why i stopped watching V8s long ago.

Same thing each year.

Holden vs Ford
Ford vs Holden

I'm surprised people still care about Origin. Even the coverage has been practically non-existent. I live in western Sydney, and everywhere you look, there's red and black. You'd never even know that there was a league team (and most people would prefer to forget about GWS), save for a lone beer ad on Parramatta Road.

I suppose it's a result of the constant bad behaviour among league players. Every other week, there's a story about a player drink driving or sexually assaulting someone and so on and so forth. I used to think that it was because league recruited out of high schools and union out of university - thereby explaining why league players tend to be out of control, while union players do not - but I teach in high schools, and I know that soccer teams recruit out of high schools, but I haven't seen any behaviour problems from soccer players.

could this finally be the year they break Queensland's 8 year streak?

Yeah, think it's probably their best chance to do so.

Disappointing that the Morris twins are gone for the series, outside of Hayne and Gallen they were NSW's best performers in game 1. Interesting to see who replaces them, obviously Hopoate will get the gig at centre and I'm guessing that McManus will get the wing spot, considering he was there last year. But honestly I'd like to see Josh Mansour instead, the guy is a beast. And was quite impressed with Trent Hodkinson on debut too, thought he was solid, didn't overplay his hand and his general kicking game was pretty decent. (Hopefully his goal kicking improves for the rest of series though :lol:)

Last edited:
The one on one is why i stopped watching V8s long ago.

Same thing each year.

Holden vs Ford
Ford vs Holden
I get what you mean, but V8 Supercars was never supposed to be that way, while State of Origin has always traditionally been NSW vs QLD, throwing another state in there for the lulz just wouldn't work. Perhaps we could have another annual series with more states participating.

I get what you mean, but V8 Supercars was never supposed to be that way, while State of Origin has always traditionally been NSW vs QLD, throwing another state in there for the lulz just wouldn't work. Perhaps we could have another annual series with more states participating.

You could do a ladder type with with a knock out.

QLD vs VIC
ACT vs NT
WA vs SA
TAS vs NSW

Then depending on who wins.

QLD vs ACT
WA vs NSW

who will vs who will be based apon random selection

Wow, I'm even surprised there's a thread about this on GTP :lol:

Hopefully NSW gets this series but hopefully we get some decent replacements in the centre and wing position.
I'd think, as has been said, Hopo at centre but maybe they'd be brave enough to put George Tafua (Manly) on the wing....

DCE limped off last night, so Mal must be sweating bullets on his halfpack selection.

Why is it only QLD and NSW?

Chiefly because league is not played in any of the other states, so any knockout competition would be a bloodbath for the amateur playing states. Their best hope is to grow the game in Vic, but the cronies of QLD and NSW won't want to give up an Origin game on a regular basis to Melbourne, so it is unlikely to ever happen.

Hopo should definitely be in but the wing position is still left up for grabs IMO.

There's some talk of Josh Dugan getting the gig at centre and Hopate being pushed out to the wing, unsure if Will has ever played on the wing before (maybe in lower grades, I have no idea). Still much prefer to see Hopate at centre and either Mansour or Taufua (as Mike pointed out) on the wing instead. But I doubt that Daley wants to blood a Origin rookie in such a important game. I'm thinking it's going to be Dugan/Hopate or Hopate/McManus on the right side.

Last edited:
There's some talk of Josh Dugan getting the gig at centre and Hopate being pushed out to the wing, unsure if Will has ever played on the wing before (maybe in lower grades, I have no idea). Still much prefer to see Hopate at centre and either Mansour or Taufua (as Mike pointed out) on the wing instead. But I doubt that Daley wants to blood a Origin rookie in such a important game. I'm thinking it's going to be Dugan/Hopate or Hopate/McManus on the right side.

Josh Dugan I'd prefer not to get picked at all so he can play some club footy for my team :lol:

Yeah, I don't understand why the Dragons felt the need to move Josh to the centres. Easily one of the top fullbacks in the game when he's fit and playing well.

Apologies for the double post.

So QLD named a 22 player squad for game 2 last night. No real surprises. Well, if you don't count the four hour delay in naming the squad and the extra 4 or 5 players they included to cover injuries.

Darius Boyd, Will Chambers, Daly Cherry-Evans, Matt Gillett, Aidan Guerra, Justin Hodges, Ben Hunt, Greg Inglis, Jacob Lillyman, Chris McQueen, Anthony Milford, Nate Myles, Josh Papalii, Corey Parker, Matt Scott, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Brent Tate, Ben Te'o, Sam Thaiday, Johnathan Thurston, Willie Tonga.

NSW team to be named at 1pm today. With Hopate and Dugan favourite to get the vacant right centre and wing spots and Tony Williams looks set to be dropped in favour of Greg Bird.

Edit: The NSW team.
1 Jarryd Hayne 2 Will Hopate 3 Josh Dugan 4 Micheal Jennings 5 Daniel Tupou 6 Josh Reynolds 7 Trent Hodkinson 8 Paul Gallen (c) 9 Robbie Farah 10 Aaron Woods 11 Ryan Hoffman 12 Beau Scott 13 Greg Bird Interchange: 14 James Tamou 15 Anthony Watmough 16 Trent Merrin 17 Luke Lewis.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't understand why the Dragons felt the need to move Josh to the centres. Easily one of the top fullbacks in the game when he's fit and playing well.

He'll be at fullback next year, shame our centre is gone for the year :(

These sides looks solid, interested to see how Cherry-Evans goes this time round as he looked a bit pedestrian after Cronk was injured.

interested to see how Cherry-Evans goes this time round as he looked a bit pedestrian after Cronk was injured.

Yeah they did at first. Looked a lot better in the second half, though that may have been because of the amount of possession they had. The entire second half seemed like it was played down NSW's end of the field. :crazy:

Last edited:
Yeah they did at first. Looked a lot better in the second half, though that may have been because of the amount of possession they had. The entire second half seemed like it was played down NSW's end of the field. :crazy:

True that, all down our end but I'm keen for the game tonight.

Though I have a funny feeling QLD will get this game, wouldn't be surprised.

EDIT: This game getting real spicey - I think a biff will happen soon.

Last edited:
One of the most niggly games I have seen in the 5 years I have been watching - every surprised there was no punchup. NSW almost got sucked into the physical element entirely - when they played football for 5 mins they scored a try.

Yeah, it wasn't the most entertaining game I've seen. Thought QLD were the better team for the most part, NSW were very one dimensional in attack, far too much one out stuff for my liking, would have liked to have see them spread the ball out to Jennings on the left more, especially after Tate's injury. Still fantastic performance, the grit they showed in defence denying QLD two tries was outstanding.

Edit: :D

Back