Stop Quitting the race if you're the host

• Thread starter bill1250
  • 477 comments
I'm not sure I would quit if - being host - I got intentionnaly rammed and my race was ruined because of it.

But I understand Famine's point, PD has no right to make me "responsible" for a session, especially when I'm also deprived of any control over what's going on in it.

Reading some of famine comments I have to agree.

Today was my first day of racing online because up until now I have concentrated on time trials. I decided to try PP700 Suzuka and to be honest I wish I hadn't even bothered. My main gripe with racing online is the idiots who think they are playing Burnout revenge. The biggest problem was trying to overtake because from my experiences not many people know how to play this game. For example, what happened on numerous occasions is racers braking hard for a bend meaning they get a slow drive coming out of the bend, everytime I tried to overtake someone would swipe me as I passed knocking me off the track. I do not understand this because if I noticed someone got a better drive out of a bend and tried to pass me I would simply let them pass. I do believe it is fair to defend your position by remaining on the racing line but to deliberately swipe someone when passing simply isn't on.

My view on quitters is this. If someone quits a race because they are losing then they are pathetic and should trade Prologue in straight away. The same goes for people who quit after being spun out on the first occasion. However if someone is repeatedly smacked off the road because the race resembles destruction derby then I would say this is fair enough.

So when I get the message "You have been disconnected from the server" it's not a problem on my end, but the host quitting the race?

So when I get the message "You have been disconnected from the server" it's not a problem on my end, but the host quitting the race?

Most of the time yes, it usually happen when the host of the game quits. Sometimes internet connection problems can cause this as well but this is rare.

Most of the time yes, it usually happen when the host of the game quits. Sometimes internet connection problems can cause this as well but this is rare.

WTF!!!??? I've just had the same error happen 9 times in a row on the pro suzuka race! I've been leading almost every time too! If you're not good enough to be racing in pro, then race in amateur! stop quitting just because you're getting your *** whooped!

I'm guessing that today alone quitters have cost me 500,000 credits.

Why not park somewhere and wait 2-3 minutes for the race to end and pick up 35,000 credits for finishing 4th?

agreed.

Just curious, can one tell if he or she is the host since the update. I've noticed in the screen before the actual race there are positions for each player, yet when the race is started, they are not the same. For instance, I join a race, and before the race it says I am in the 11th position, and Slutty_Testicals is in the poll position. Yet... when the race begins, i'm in 7th and Slutty_Testicals is behind me in 8th, so is he the host?

agreed.

Just curious, can one tell if he or she is the host since the update. I've noticed in the screen before the actual race there are positions for each player, yet when the race is started, they are not the same. For instance, I join a race, and before the race it says I am in the 11th position, and Slutty_Testicals is in the poll position. Yet... when the race begins, i'm in 7th and Slutty_Testicals is behind me in 8th, so is he the host?

I think it's 100% Slutty_Testicals fault.

agreed.

Just to confirm for you here, whoever is in 1st position on the list before the race start is the host for that race. They may have a more powerful car and or higher points ratio than you, so they end up behind you on the starting grid for the actual race.

If you don´t want to host, do the following:

1. Get your self a lousy connection: Dial-Up should suffice. You could also turn on download/upload limiting in your router. 200/200 kbits should do the trick.

2. Try not to go online.

3. If you can´t resist: Sell your PS3 and start fishing, bowling etc.

agreed.

The top name on the list of entrants you see before the race is the host. The grid is in the order of worst PP score first and best last.

Sorry late with post.

*...The grid is in the order of worst PP score first and best last.
*Sorry late with post.

Not always. This morning I was put up front with my Tuned Corvette against an Elise and an Amuse in the first race. Second race, same entrants, me in the back.*
Amuse and me PP700, Elise PP699.

Not always. This morning I was put up front with my Tuned Corvette against an Elise and an Amuse in the first race. Second race, same entrants, me in the back.*
Amuse and me PP700, Elise PP699.
Was the Elise also PP699 in the first race? I've got the idea that indeed PPs define the grid order (lower PPs first, higher last) and that the grid location for cars with the same PP are somewhat randomized. Somewhat, because when I enter a race on a certain track with a certain car for the first time, I'm always first on the grid (unless a car with a lower PP is present). Winning races tends to push me back on the grid. But this is my quick impression and I don't have enough data yet to come to a realy valid conclusion.

Was the Elise also PP699 in the first race? I've got the idea that indeed PPs define the grid order (lower PPs first, higher last) and that the grid location for cars with the same PP are somewhat randomized. Somewhat, because when I enter a race on a certain track with a certain car for the first time, I'm always first on the grid (unless a car with a lower PP is present). Winning races tends to push me back on the grid. But this is my quick impression and I don't have enough data yet to come to a realy valid conclusion.
Yupp, it was in the first race.

Maybe PD has already given a small secret update (would not be the first time) not to put lower PP cars in front. People have been using this "feature" to come to the front of the grid (me including). :sly:

I'm nearly always on pole in 600PP races because I drive an Integra and its maximum PP score is 581. The only time anyone is in front of me is when they have either the same PP or less. I have notice some odd starts where someone rockets away from the grid before the start takes place at much higher speed. Is it possible that is what you are seeing?

There should be a choice about Hosting. But as there isn't one yet, I think one should abide by the Rules that say the Host is responsible for the completion of the race, even if you're getting rammed off the track. There could be 5 clean racers having a great battle for a podium finish. There may 15 bashers/rammers/wallriders. But regardless, if you've been assigned the Host's responsibilities, then you should last the distance. Pull over to the side if you don't want to race anymore, but let it finish.

I totally agree that the hosting should be optional. I don't want to waste my time/bandwidth on a race where I've been unfairly knocked off the track. If I weren't host, I'd have no problem quitting in those circumstances. But if I were host, I'd let the race carry on so that others can finish if they want to. If they don't, they can quit, that's their choice and I'm not going to make it for them.

There are many posts here with people complaining about getting disconnected from the server on the last lap. To me, that is more frustrating and annoying than enduring one bad race before trying to get into a good clean one.

I agree with nearly everything Famine has said, except that the Hosting isn't optional yet, the responsibility is foisted onto somebody and that somebody should not quit and force their decision onto everyone else. A player quitting out of 3rd place bumping everyone up one position doesn't have nearly the same impact of prematurely ending the race for everyone.

The Host is in 1st position on the list of players when the race is starting up. Once the race starts, your place on the grid or in the rolling start isn't related to Hosting. Also when the Player Matching screen is up, it either says Creating Race or Joining Race just before it says *bing* Matching Complete. If it said Creating Race, you'll be the Host and 1st on the list. If it said Joining Race, you could be any position but 1st. The actual starting line-up on the track isn't related to your position on that list.

I never realized this thread was still so active! I don't race much online but when I do it's usually the same story ...
1 clean event in about 6 due to the guys in the dodgem cars :(

I think PD should consider putting some kind of monitor on the online racing ( similar to the 7th screen at a LAN event that was just for simply viewing the overall action) but with an added notification of when a host has left a game and why?
Also anyone with high speed collisions should have in instant 10 second recording saved from before and after the collision and later a judge can evaluate the high speed collision and give them a penalty for the infraction if it was a deliberate move to take someone offtrack .. say something like a 24 hour lock out for the Master account of that users PS3 from the online events! and if they persist then the lock outs become longer until they learn.

I'm sure in the future when GT5 is out we will probably have some kind of monitor system and the idiots will learn the no ramming or instant lock out lesson in the same way a pup learns not to piss on the floor or it gets its face rubbed in it ;)

anyway thats just a couple of ideas off my head regarding this ongoing problem! there are too many people quitting races for the wrong reason .. namely not winning and thats just pathetic, but when they quit because they are whacked all over the place by a bunch of idiots with no respect for anyone else on the track, I would exit also! .. and not endure being on the track with them as it will happen each lap at the key places.
A little part in me would like me to catch them up and give them a taste of there own medicine! but why should I bother lowering myself when I can leave the dodgems game and go try and find a race worthy of being called a race?

We all have our own conclusions on whats right and wrong .. but when you are slap bang in the middle of a crap race .. it's no fun and not worth the waste of bandwidth as previously stated by Famine, in a nutshell if they ramming they are not worthy of being on the same track as me, and I know for sure there's a long list of LAN event attendee's over the years who would never let that kind of driver even turn up for a LAN event!

The people ramming are the main problem and not the poor bastards getting whacked about whilst simply trying to have an enjoyable race!
PD must penalize the drivers who use nasty tactics and the host problem will disappear with the nasty drivers imo ;)

I never realized this thread was still so active! I don't race much online but when I do it's usually the same story ...
1 clean event in about 6 due to the guys in the dodgem cars :(

I think PD should consider putting some kind of monitor on the online racing ( similar to the 7th screen at a LAN event that was just for simply viewing the overall action) but with an added notification of when a host has left a game and why?
Also anyone with high speed collisions should have in instant 10 second recording saved from before and after the collision and later a judge can evaluate the high speed collision and give them a penalty for the infraction if it was a deliberate move to take someone offtrack .. say something like a 24 hour lock out for the Master account of that users PS3 from the online events! and if they persist then the lock outs become longer until they learn.

I'm sure in the future when GT5 is out we will probably have some kind of monitor system and the idiots will learn the no ramming or instant lock out lesson in the same way a pup learns not to piss on the floor or it gets its face rubbed in it ;)

anyway thats just a couple of ideas off my head regarding this ongoing problem! there are too many people quitting races for the wrong reason .. namely not winning and thats just pathetic, but when they quit because they are whacked all over the place by a bunch of idiots with no respect for anyone else on the track, I would exit also! .. and not endure being on the track with them as it will happen each lap at the key places.
A little part in me would like me to catch them up and give them a taste of there own medicine! but why should I bother lowering myself when I can leave the dodgems game and go try and find a race worthy of being called a race?

We all have our own conclusions on whats right and wrong .. but when you are slap bang in the middle of a crap race .. it's no fun and not worth the waste of bandwidth as previously stated by Famine, in a nutshell if they ramming they are not worthy of being on the same track as me, and I know for sure there's a long list of LAN event attendee's over the years who would never let that kind of driver even turn up for a LAN event!

The people ramming are the main problem and not the poor bastards getting whacked about whilst simply trying to have an enjoyable race!
PD must penalize the drivers who use nasty tactics and the host problem will disappear with the nasty drivers imo ;)

Amen!

One thing that would also help, would be the possibility to save multiplayer replays. That way you could write down the usernames of the people who ram and add them to a block list. If there's a name in that block list, the game wouldn't throw you in the same server with that person, or if you're hosting then that person would be denied joining in to your race.

Still, private rooms would be much better, but this would atleast be a temporary fix.

I haven't read all 15 pages of this thread, but it seems to me like a good solution for quitters is to have the AI take over the quitter's car until the conclusion of the race.

Thought that is smart, it has nothing to do with networking. If said host quits a game and is then replaced with AI the game still doesn't exist, When a host makes a room its is very much HIS room he made it, he controls it, & he takes it away.

Think of it like this You and your friends are playing.....football, the owner of the ball desides to leave, so he gets a buddy as a replacement but needless to say he takes the ball too, granted its nice he found a replacement, but without a balk what good is he.

Those are the rules. And whether there are rammers or not, quiting the race when you are the host is simply breaking the rules.

Nope, that's not true:
It is stated here on the forum that people ram others because the game let's them. Conclusion: the rule is: you can ram others, since when you're doing things against the rules, the game will punnish you with a penalty.

The game LET's a host quit a game he/she is hosting, so obviously, quiting is not against the rules since the game let's you. When quitting the game states that this me be frowned upon by others, well, so is ramming other competitors.

This is totally out of hand! Why doesn't Polyphony just dock credits from the idiots who drop out!?

This idea cannot be done simply because: People disconnent for varis reasons.

Example, your host you quit a game because 1 of the following: 1) power failure 2) internet disconnection, 3) called aware from PS3 right then for whatever reason.

now when you log back on and you find that your not getting credits for somethat that was not in your control at all, your gonna be beyond unhappy.
If you don´t want to host, do the following:

1. Get your self a lousy connection: Dial-Up should suffice. You could also turn on download/upload limiting in your router. 200/200 kbits should do the trick.

2. Try not to go online.

3. If you can´t resist: Sell your PS3 and start fishing, bowling etc.

1) Yes, im gonna go through the effort of changing ISP so I can't host games anymore, and change to get a worse connention thus increasing my changes of lag, just so if I quit others won't be effected, thats just down right insane.

2)I paied full price for this game, im not going to deny myself a feature of the game simply because people are going to whine if i'm host and happen to quit.

3) I'm a gamer, not a fisher, not a bowler, nuff said

This idea cannot be done simply because: People disconnent for varis reasons.
Example, your host you quit a game because 1 of the following: 1) power failure 2) internet disconnection, 3) called aware from PS3 right then for whatever reason.
now when you log back on and you find that your not getting credits for somethat that was not in your control at all, your gonna be beyond unhappy.
1) Yes, im gonna go through the effort of changing ISP so I can't host games anymore, and change to get a worse connention thus increasing my changes of lag, just so if I quit others won't be effected, thats just down right insane.
2)I paied full price for this game, im not going to deny myself a feature of the game simply because people are going to whine if i'm host and happen to quit.
3) I'm a gamer, not a fisher, not a bowler, nuff said

I was just being sarcastic... mind your blood pressure. Happy gaming. :)

Thought that is smart, it has nothing to do with networking. If said host quits a game and is then replaced with AI the game still doesn't exist, When a host makes a room its is very much HIS room he made it, he controls it, & he takes it away.
It would work nicely though when a non-host player quits. :)

Nope, that's not true:
It is stated here on the forum that people ram others because the game let's them. Conclusion: the rule is: you can ram others, since when you're doing things against the rules, the game will punnish you with a penalty.

The game LET's a host quit a game he/she is hosting, so obviously, quiting is not against the rules since the game let's you. When quitting the game states that this me be frowned upon by others, well, so is ramming other competitors.

The game does penalise players for ramming. But just because it lets you drive backwards, that doesn't make it right. Just bacause you're able to quit when you're the host doesn't make it right. There could be other reasons for it, like your connection, but as the Host is responsible for the completion of the race, I think it is unfair on any clean racer to be knocked out because the Host just doesn't want to continue.
The Black List here has this category for nomination:
"(B) Hosts which quit due to the actions of their ‘own fault’ (i.e. racing mistake/ simply losing)."
If you're in first place and can't see 15 or however many places behind you, how can you know if the Host was rammed or just quit because they were losing?
Until the Hosting is optional and I can decline it, or another player can take over Hosting if the first Host quits, then I'll see out any race to the finish if I'm host, even if I'm getting rammed. This was happening to me last night. And I'd just be bored if I were sitting there off the track, so I'd get back on and continue, until the race finishes and I can try again, and hope there is less messing in the next one.

Nah, I like the fact that everyone I race online is a real person. If I wanted bots, I'd play single player.
I couldn't agree more, but just wanted to point out that in theory it is possible.

Back