Stop Quitting the race if you're the host

• Thread starter bill1250
  • 477 comments
Just got disconnected from PP700 event at Fuji less than 5 mins ago...... I was 7th leading into the last lap, and proceeded to pass everyone after they all had tripped over one another at the last bend onto the straight, incurring the barrier/ramming penalty...... i was less than 100 metres from the finish line............ and my first win as a reward for keeping it clean and using good lines.

There is no justice :(

A good suggestion would be to for the host to get compensated for hosting the race, with a set number of credits per race, and it should very depending on how many laps the race is and difficulty. Also it would be cool if there was a host lounge for dedicated host that want to support the races cause we all know that we would leave our PS3's on all day to get some extra cash Money!!

Yes, lounges are the answer i guess.

You can see if you are the host during the startup, the loader will say "creating" or "joining" race.
And indeed if the screen says 'creating' you will always be the first on the loading grid (NOT the starting grid).

I also find 1 race a bit low, it would make sense to have more, like 3 races with different starting grids, especially when you have a group of nice racers it's a shame when after one race the grid is randomized again.

Also, it would be easy to implement a system where a difference between a host quitting a session or a real network failure. That way, hosts that don't quit could gain 'courtesy points' and make them more likely to host sessions. ( or penalize 'quitters' with 'points of shame' and make them less likely to host a race'

I've not noticed any performance loss while hosting, so i guess it's just a small advantage wrt no network delay for a host.

I will admit to quitting a race once, and that was on purpose too ;)
I was hosting a 2 player race when suddenly the other guy (some greek, i should have known their driving ;) seemed to have bolted his tyres to the side while he was using the barrier for grip, on pro level, that sucked and seeing we were just the two; i quit.
I don't want to compete in "sliding the barrier", i can't believe there's no timepenalty for that.
Ah well, i still love the online gaming :)

Yes, lounges are the answer i guess.

You can see if you are the host during the startup, the loader will say "creating" or "joining" race.
And indeed if the screen says 'creating' you will always be the first on the loading grid (NOT the starting grid).

I see. I guess I've hosted a lot more races then I thought, then!

On one occasion, where everyone in the race was crashing and slamming, I quit, HOPING that I was the host, but I really have no idea.

If the host quits, do you get that thing where all the other cars seem to be jumping around all over the track, like they're teleporting, but only 10 feet at a time?

I see. I guess I've hosted a lot more races then I thought, then!

On one occasion, where everyone in the race was crashing and slamming, I quit, HOPING that I was the host, but I really have no idea.

If the host quits, do you get that thing where all the other cars seem to be jumping around all over the track, like they're teleporting, but only 10 feet at a time?

That's lag (bandwidth/network congestion) When the host quits everybody quits. Host is a bit like Bagpuss in that respect

Tried racing Suzuka last night, HOST quit 5 out of 6 times. I just can not believe, people quit because they are losing! I think GT5 Prologue needs it's own severs. That would get rid of HOST QUITTERS!

I've actually done this, once, a couple of days ago. Usual 1st corner of fuji shenanigans - I'm just about at the apex in second place when, all of a sudden, I'm hit by a salvo of 10 car-shaped missiles, from some unseen car-shaped missile launcher. By the time I got back on track the race had all but disappeared from view. So I hit the quit button and it flashed up a message along the lines of "quitting might hurt the other players feelings"

It wasn't til I'd said "yeah screw their feelings - the poor little mites just sent me into the concrete wall", and pressed "yes" that it occurred to me that I'd been host.

I can only apologise for this lack of foresight and to anyone reading this who swore at me then - I promise it won't happen again :guilty:

As odd as it might sound, I don't hold the quitting hosts 100% responsible. I mean, you shouldn't be quitting, as I spent the entire weekend being kicked around like a soccer ball (football for some LOL), ran off the road, rammed, etc., but not once did I quit. I must have spent at least 20 hours, and the only races I didn't finish were host disconnect, and I think I only pulled one victory since I'm far too cautious around other drivers. But the reason I don't hold you responsible is because the matchmaking system is horrid, and there should be some sort of safeguard in place. Don't end the race if the host quits, nominate a new host! I watched the same person grab host 3 times in a row yesterday, there was even a GTP_ member there, and every single time they quit at the start. I direct connect, straight online, haven't quit a single event, but I didn't get host not one time.

So yeah, it sucks that hosts quit, and I do sympathize, but PD really should have took measures to safeguard you guys and your finishes. I'm sorry, but until you guys get private races or someone like me gets host, this is something you'll just have to deal with.

kicked around like a soccer ball (football for some LOL),

You're bound for a comment on that in a mixed continent message-board ;)

"football for some" yeah, weird isn't it, that those europeans (and asians/africans/south americans/etc) call a ball they kick around with their feet; a 'football'.

No say 'the americans' It's a lot more logical to call something that isn't a ball and is mostly thrown by hand; a 'football'.

No pun intended Joe43302, but it's just some frustration on my part that made me write this comment. (I guess if 'soccer' didn't sound so much like 'sucker' i'd be fine with it :))

Cheers :)

You're bound for a comment on that in a mixed continent message-board ;)

"football for some" yeah, weird isn't it, that those europeans (and asians/africans/south americans/etc) call a ball they kick around with their feet; a 'football'.

No say 'the americans' It's a lot more logical to call something that isn't a ball and is mostly thrown by hand; a 'football'.

No pun intended Joe43302, but it's just some frustration on my part that made me write this comment. (I guess if 'soccer' didn't sound so much like 'sucker' i'd be fine with it :))

Cheers :)

LOL I was trying to be somewhat multi-cultural from an American standpoint ;)

The game must know when a host quits the race by choice, rather than due to a network problem (say).

Therefore, why can't the game prevent hosts who quit races from joining another race for 10 minutes or so? Okay they could restart the PS3, but that would get old pretty quickly.

That way the host is encouraged to persevere with the race because they are not just going to be able to jump straight back into another one.

That'd be ok if the host had volunteered for the job, in which case quitting before the end would indeed be a dirty trick to pull

But the host doesn't choose to be in that position, so any punishment for quitting would be harsh imo

I tend to shrug and chuckle if the host quits on me, along the lines of 'ha, you we're losing so you quit, that's lame'

It's not like the races are 20, 50, 100 lappers after all. A quitting host 3/4 through one of those would be more like approaching something to moan about

Private rooms, private rooms, private rooms. Volunteer hosts, volunteer hosts, volunteer hosts

I reckon if we say those things enough, PD may take heed :D

Given that the host is currently chosen based on the quality of the connection (high speed and low latency), presumably with the goal of ensuring the best possible race experience for the players, and having a game end early because the host quit is a bad experience for players, the solution is pretty obvious:

The main criteria for determining the host of a race should be how often they see the race through to the end.

Given that the host is currently chosen based on the quality of the connection (high speed and low latency), presumably with the goal of ensuring the best possible race experience for the players, and having a game end early because the host quit is a bad experience for players, the solution is pretty obvious:

The main criteria for determining the host of a race should be how often they see the race through to the end.

Thought about something like that too. The host should be chosen on a combination of his bandwith speed and the number of how often he used to quit games he hosted before.
So if there is another player with a slightly slower connection but didnt quit that much would become the host of the race! Somehow I quite often think the worst driver has the best internet connection though. Sees some names on the grid that would most certainly beat him, and quits...:rolleyes:
Just a bit of statistc works to do for PD:tup:

Ahhh yes, Vaxen. I recall at least three races you were in that were ended nearly immediately... You weren't host, I'm not calling you out or nothing :) It's just if anyone here knows about these issues and is worked up over them, I can attest to your anger LOL!

I haven't quit a race yet, regardless of how much trouble I'm having. Each race is a new opportunity to learn, which to me is more valuable than a win.

One evening I was unfortunate enough to find myself in a whole series of 700pp "races" that were swarmed by players with ~350pp cars, which ended often before I got to the start line!

But I agree with H2OHybrid: A combination of host connection speed and reliability (ratio of races finished to aborted) would be best.

LOL I was trying to be somewhat multi-cultural from an American standpoint ;)

Yeah i know, thanks for that Joe43302. I think i said my comment was due to my frustration on that subject. You Sir, are not the source of my frustration (well, not untill you lap me on any circuit ;)).

I guess it was your 'lol' in that line that got me to comment :)

Cheers dude, i didn't mean to rub it off on you...

I have to admit to disconnecting tonight. I was in a 2 car only duel with some Spanish guy who wouldn't pass me at HSR and just continually rammed me for 4 laps until I finally caught the grass and lost a load of ground on him.

No way was he having the money for that.

I will say straight out that if I'm hosting a race and I get taken out by someone, you bet your ass I'm taking a hike and getting into another race... and if I find that same prick in the new race, I'm going right after him/her. If I make a mistake on my own, I don't care if I'm going to finish dead last, I'll keep it going...

I will say straight out that if I'm hosting a race and I get taken out by someone, you bet your ass I'm taking a hike and getting into another race... and if I find that same prick in the new race, I'm going right after him/her. If I make a mistake on my own, I don't care if I'm going to finish dead last, I'll keep it going...

So your saying you could care less about all the other drivers in the race your hosting & you are just as bad as the guy who hit you?
LOSER!:yuck:

Waaaaa waaaaaa waaaa. Toys out the pram waaaaa.

Do us all a favour and play offline only till the private races come along you pathetic child.

well If I get hit by some rookie, intentionally or unintentionally I will just try either to continue to race, even if you end up third because the other drivers are humans and they make mistakes too. Maybe you get lucky and the others drive off the track at other corners and if you are really lost, head for the pit and wait until the race is finished

It just sucks that about 1/3 of the races I've been in tonight the host has quit. I like online because the prize money is good and I want the F1 car. I like Suzuka a lot and a lot of people get on there with fast cars and no handling and about all they do is run down everyone else just to wreck them. I hate when I accidently wreck someone .

i think i was the host twice tonight, and i quit. i have to say it beats the hell out of dealing with punters. so my point is i just wanna say sorry if i upset anyone here.

I a long time looker but first time poster and have a question. Why do people join a race and then quit it? I am usually the host and the race will just start and everyone will start to quit. The usually only happens on Daytona and I got a message from some one telling me to stop quitting. But I stay in the race until the last person leaves. Anyone know why some people will wait through the long load times and then join the race again?

We had a massave thread about this already, don't start it again. please let me sum it up for you why people do it, we get hit, some one screws up our game, and we are mad. nuff said

It happens to me, whenever I'm the host everyone has seemingly quit before the race starts or very soon after. I never experince this when I'm not the host so I think it has more to do with my connection.

Back