Stopped Smoking

• Thread starter Mr P
  • 94 comments
Good luck 👍. My mum has recently quit smoking after about 6 attemps.

I'd been telling her to for ages and she finally decided to give it up, for about a week she was a real ***** but after that she went back to 'normal'. I hate smoking and I think it's great that you've decided to give it up :D. Keep up the good work 👍

Yeah, pretty much. Did you two smoke in the house? Because that's another thing you can count as a bonus - your house, furnature, clothing ... everything stops stinking all over.

Yes LM we did ashamedly smoke in the house. I can't wait to get the curtains and furniture covers washed so they can be free of nicotine stains and smells forever 👍

Congrats to both of you. Hang in there and keep busy! My wife and I have been nicotine free for two years now! It is great to not have that controlling our lives anymore. She had smoked for 15 years, I had smoked and chewed (worse that cigs in my opinion) or 17 years. I hate cig smoke now...where it never used to bother me.

Congrats again!

~Cheers~

Well done Pako 👍 A very similar situation as ours with both stopping after a long service to the nicotine! hopefully we can be in the same boat as you and your wife 2 years down the line 👍 well done for staying commited and staying clean :)

I've had about 4 urges all day today and headed to the kitchen cupboard for a bickie or some mints 👍 ... we getting there slowly ;)

Laters :)

Yeah good job Pako and mrs Pako 👍

I'm finding it quite hard today, but resisting the temptation so far...

My dad smokes only in his bathroom with the air ciculator fan thing going the whole time. Somehow he is still able to stink up the entire upstairs.

What you two need is MORE CHOCOLATE! Woohaa!

I've not had 1 bit of chocolate, so far... mints and toffees and crisps!

Right now it feels as though I have no use for my arms :odd:

Funnily, my dad gave up in... errr... 1985 (not that it did him much good - 30 years of it meant he had a quadruple bypass last year and some stents put in more recently). He's not had the urge to pick up a cigarette but he says that he could "quite happily light up again".

Mind you, I think that's rose-tinted spectacle speak. If he did he'd probably vomit copiously... :D

Isn't there some kind of device or medication that will 'do something' to you if you smoke? Something like vomitting or the like ... it's to help people quit smoking. Maybe it's just a hypnotisis trick and it makes you cringe at the site of cigarettes. I can't remember.

LoudMusic
Isn't there some kind of device or medication that will 'do something' to you if you smoke? Something like vomitting or the like ... it's to help people quit smoking. Maybe it's just a hypnotisis trick and it makes you cringe at the site of cigarettes. I can't remember.

There is a pill for drinkers...... Makes them deathly ill if they consume alchohol.

Yep day 4 and it's a bit tough with a few cravings :yuck: .... still no cigs though :) 👍

No desire to do any racing still either 👎 I was too used to racing with a cig hanging from my mouth :dopey: ah well! .... maybe my Mr P persona has gone now he has no cigs :guilty:

looking forward to some differences with day 5 :)

Laters

Hang in there you two. The physical cravings are almost gone, but the mental obsession will continue. You're almost through the toughest part.

CONGRATS to both you and your wife!
My wife and I are also quitting for the new year. (18yrs smoking :ill: )
Here are some tid-bits of info...ANYTIME you get the urge to smoke, read this:

Quit Smoking Benefits - the Healing Begins...

At 20 minutes after quitting:
blood pressure decreases
pulse rate drops
body temperature of hands and feet increases.

At 8 hours:
carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
oxygen level in blood increases to normal

At 24 hours:
chance of a heart attack decreases

At 48 hours:
nerve endings start regrowing
ability to smell and taste improve

At 2 weeks to 3 months:
circulation improves
walking becomes easier
lung function increases

From 1 to 9 months:
Starting as early as a month after you quit smoking, and continuing for the next several months, you may notice significant improvements in these areas:
coughing
sinus congestion
fatigue
shortness of breath

At 1 Year smoke free:
excess risk of coronary heart disease is decreased to half that of a smoker

From 5 to 15 years...
At 5 years:
from 5 to 15 years after quitting, stroke risk is reduced to that of people who have never smoked.

At 10 years:
risk of lung cancer drops to as little as one-half that of continuing smokers
risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases
risk of ulcer decreases

At 15 years:
risk of coronary heart disease is now similar to that of people who have never smoked
risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who have never smoked

Physical Withdrawal from Nicotine
How You Can Cope
Physical withdrawal from nicotine is a temporary condition, but it can cause a fair amount of discomfort while it lasts. The nickname of having "quitter's flu" has been given to this phase of cessation because the symptoms of withdrawal often mimic having a cold or a mild case of the flu. Understanding what to expect and following the pointers for coping will help you move through this stage more easily.

The following list are commonly reported symptoms. Most people have some of these, but rarely all of them. While each person will go through this process a little differently, for most people, these discomforts are short-lived. It's always a good idea to check in with your doctor if you're concerned about any physical reaction you're having to cessation, or if the symptoms persist.

Symptoms of Physical Withdrawal
Cravings
Irritable, cranky
Insomnia
Fatigue
Inability to Concentrate
Headache
Cough
Sore throat
Constipation, gas, stomach pain
Dry mouth
Sore tongue and/or gums
postnasal drip
Tightness in the chest

Coping Skills
The five D's
Delay until the urge passes--usually within 3-5 minutes
Distract yourself. Call a friend or go for a walk
Drink water to fight off cravings
Deep Breaths--Relax! Close your eyes and take 10 slow, deep breaths
Discuss your feelings with someone close to you

Other ways to cope include
Exercise--get a little every day. Even a 15 minute walk will work wonders to help you feel better and reduce cravings.
Get more rest. More sleep helps!! If you're experiencing insomnia, try taking a long walk several hours before bed.
Relaxation. Time alone to read a good book. A hot bath at the end of the day. Whatever makes you feel pampered and relaxes you is a great choice.
Reward yourself at the end of every single smoke free day you complete early on. You are doing a great job, so celebrate your victory every single day.

Don't let withdrawal scare you! Always remember that it is a temporary phase of quitting. The fantastic feeling of freedom and control you'll get when you successfully beat this addiction is worth every bit of effort you give to quitting, and then some. You are worth it!

How to Cope With Thoughts of Smoking as you Go Through Nicotine Withdrawal
"I can smoke just one! Just for this evening, I'll smoke, and then I'm back to my quit tomorrow! Really!!"

Sound familiar? Thoughts of smoking are common as you go through nicotine withdrawal. Your mind can feel like it's turning itself inside out trying to convince you to have just one cigarette. Don't let it throw you; this is a normal part of recovery from nicotine addiction. Make a vow to put your thoughts on ignore when you're struggling, and keep your focus on the day you have in front of you only. Don't worry about tomorrow; don't fret about never smoking again. Just think about getting through TODAY smoke free.

Junkie thinking can sometimes spring up out of nowhere when you least expect it, and suddenly your mind is trying to rationalize why smoking would be an alright thing to do.

That is addiction and habit talking to you, and the voices can get pretty urgent at times, demanding your attention.

Keep your memory green. Use your list of reasons; refresh yourself often about why you've quit, as well as how far you've come on your path to freedom. Don't slip into thinking that because you've done so well, you can smoke and quit again easily. It never works that way. People who return to smoking often spend years trying to quit again.

Your reasons for quitting will never be less true as time goes by, but they can feel less critical if you're not careful.

If you are seriously considering smoking, take some time to think about the answers you'd give to the questions below.

Why did I quit smoking?
How long did I smoke?
How long have I been smoke free?
How long do I think it should take to be free of this habit?
If I go back to smoking, will I want to quit again?
How long will it be before I do? Weeks...months...years? When illness strikes?
Will quitting be any easier next time around?
What do I think smoking will do for me?(benefits??)
Is it worth giving up what I've worked so hard to do?

Some of these are hard questions to answer, but if you're thinking about lighting up, do yourself a favor and answer them honestly. Take out a piece of paper, and really consider your responses to each and every one of these questions.

Protect and nurture the freedom you're gaining from this deadly habit. Remember that the chains of addiction are broken one link at a time. Be patient with yourself, and let time be your quit buddy.

Don't let junkie thinking trick you back into a habit you hate. You might never find a way to break free again.

Give cessation time and you will be free.
Give smoking time and it will kill you.

Thanks for that Gary 👍
Today has been real hard so far for me... I got the 'quitters flu' fatigue, headache, irritableness and a few other symptoms.
Ron is helping me lots by being supportive and very understanding, which I very much appreciate. Considering he's going through the same himself, he's hiding it well :D

Nearly gave up giving up today but just had a cry instead and remained strong. I hope this horrible feeling I've got goes away soon, it's the worst I've ever felt! All that's getting me through at the moment is the thought that if I was weak now then sometime in the future I'd have to go through all this again! and I don't want that :(

Look at your avatar. It's all going to be worth it for your kids' well-being.

Damn, that sounded sooo corny

Not corny at all Daan! very true, she is beautiful and one of the main reasons I intend to see this through. :)

Well, almost at the end of day 5 and today has been the worst for me so far! I know why they call it cold turkey, my skin is permanantly goosebumped and my legs feel all wobbly, and I'm still light headed...it's not nice at all :(

But I've not given in, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit easier :scared:

I feel like I'm dying :yuck:

Well seems Kel is taking the symptoms for both of us :guilty:

I have no side effects what-so-ever :guilty: and have hardly any cravings at all! it's not fair at all 👎

.... maybe my symptoms are just delayed :dopey:

I dunno???

Back